Temple Post-game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Temple Post-game

Reaction Score
I am a little surprised that Kyla has been given more quality time. She has the ability to pull the opposing 4 out of the paint in respect of her shot, and she has shown the ability to hit the open shot.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ONO still needs to fight harder underneath and not permit herself to be boxed out by smaller players. And she really needs to stop stepping back for the fade away and start bulling towards the basket. Yes, she got a double-double, as she has in the previous games. She got 10 rebounds, but her Temple counterpart pulled down 9.

She needs to learn how to be a bull under the boards. More toughness, less finesse. Lots of room for improvement.

Have to disagree. Liv is not that type of player. One, she does not have the body to "bull" her way under the basket. Two, the style you suggest will quickly get her in foul trouble.

Her fade jumper in the low post is a fine move that is almost impossible to defend. She is also showing a shooting touch with the foul line jumper. That in it self will open up underneath for her. She can handle the ball well enough to be able to drive the lane.

I think she will eventually develop a hook shot to go with her low post turn.

Liv is still a work in progress. Remember, it took Tina Charles well into her junior season before she exploded as a post player. It took Big Mama Stef two seasons to fully develop her game. We are seeing the beginning of Liv's evolution as a major post player.

Reaction Score
A couple random thoughts on the Temple game:
  • Good 1st & 4th qtrs. Not so good in the 2nd & 3rd.
  • Through 3 games, the biggest issue that I see with UConn’s offense is a lack of transition scoring. Fast break baskets make offense a whole lot easier.
  • Liv is an absolute force on defense in the paint and her offense continues to improve. She’s starting to play like one of the better posts in the country.
  • Geno is going to face a dilemma very soon. Anna really understands the offense better than Aubrey, but 3 games into the season she’s still in search of her shot. On the other hand, Aubrey’s energy on defense and on the boards is undeniable.; doesn't matter who starts.
  • I felt a little bad for Kyla and her family early in the game when she hadn’t gotten off the bench, particularly when they showed that contingent of Kyla’s friends and family all sporting “Kyla” t-shirts. Great to see her get in and knock down all of her shots.
not a dilemma to have 2 players who are able to impact the game in different ways. doesn't matter who starts. they'll both play plenty.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree that Aubrey was more productive, but again to Geno's dilemma, I believe Anna lead the Huskies with 7 assists today. When Aubrey figures out what she's doing on offense and Anna starts to knock down shots, UConn could have two incredible freshmen.

I had no idea my "I would like to see Aubrey start" comment would be met with so much criticism (not from you). Your response was classy and respectful as always. I was referring to the number of folks that agreed with your response. I realize that I'm in the minority on this thought. There is only a few here that agree with me on this.

The reasoning behind my comment was I'm wondering how much longer Geno can afford to have Anna on the floor if she's not scoring? I'm NOT hating on Anna. I'm a huge fan of hers, and believe as others do that at some point, her shots will begin to fall. The question is when, and at what percentage? I can't argue with your logic in this matter. But I didn't think about the "spark" off the bench Aubrey provides. Simply the production. Spark and energy is nice, but they don't win games, points and rebounds do.

Right now, Geno is splitting that 5th starter spot (time) between the two of them. All I'm suggesting is perhaps let Aubrey begin a game or two, then bring Anna in at the 4 minute mark of the 1st quarter, and let her play the first 4 -5 minutes of the 2nd quarter, then bring Aubrey back in. Change things up a bit until Anna's shot arrives.

I completely understand and agree Aubrey is still trying to figure things out, and will be for the better part of the season. But until Anna finds her shot, I'm wondering how long Geno can afford to keep her out there?

I'm thinking that in every game, one of them is going to play better that night than the other one. I would want to know early on, which one it is. I'm just thinking out loud here. Remember, I said I'd LIKE to see her start, not that I think she SHOULD start. There's a difference.

RIGHT NOW, I'm simply more impressed with Aubrey's play to date than Anna's, but I love them both. Sure, Anna has done some good things, but so has Aubrey. Whenever Anna finds her shot, I'll withdraw my concern. If you remember, I correctly predicted this summer that Anna would be the 5th starter...................................assuming all things being equal.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had no idea my "I would like to see Aubrey start" comment would be met with so much criticism (not from you). Your response was classy and respectful as always. I was referring to the number of folks that agreed with your response. I realize that I'm in the minority on this thought. There is only a few here that agree with me on this.

The reasoning behind my comment was I wondering how much longer Geno can afford to have Anna on the floor if she's not scoring? I'm NOT hating on Anna. I'm a huge fan of hers, and believe as others do that at some point, her shots will begin to fall. The question is when, and at what percentage? I can't argue with your logic in this matter. But I didn't think about the "spark" off the bench Aubrey provides. Simply the production. Spark and energy is nice, don't they win games, points and rebounds do.

Right now, Geno is splitting that 5th starter spot (time) between the two of them. All I'm suggesting is perhaps let Aubrey begin the game, then bring Anna in at the 4 minute mark of the 1st quarter, and let her play the first 4 -5 minutes of the 2nd quarter, then bring Aubrey back in. Change things up a bit until Anna's shot arrives.

I completely understand and agree Aubrey is still trying to figure things out, and will be for the better part of the season. But until Anna finds her shot, I'm wondering how long Geno can afford to keep her out there?

I'm thinking that in every game, one of them is going to play better than the other one. I would want to know early on, which one it is on that particular day. I'm just thinking out loud here. Remember, I said I'd LIKE to see her start, not that I think she SHOULD start. There's a difference. RIGHT NOW, I'm simply more impressed with Aubrey's play to date than Anna's, but I love them both. Sure, Anna has done some good things, but so has Aubrey. Whenever Anna finds her shot, I'll withdraw my concern. If you remember, I correctly predicted this summer that Anna would be the 5th starter...................................assuming all things being equal.

after such a long and detailed analysis, there can only be one correct response.

Disagree. ;);)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
after such a long and detailed analysis, there can only be one correct response.

Disagree. ;);)

As I said, I understand the view points of others on this. I'm sure there are many others that share your viewpoint on this. I'm simply interested in getting more production from that 5th starter's spot. If Kayla could come in and produce in that spot, great. Question: how long do you think Geno will continue to start her if her shot is not falling? I don't mind the disagreement, but explain why. Maybe you can help me see something I'm missing.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

The reasoning behind my comment was I wondering how much longer Geno can afford to have Anna on the floor if she's not scoring? I'm NOT hating on Anna. I'm a huge fan of hers, and believe as others do that at some point, her shots will begin to fall. The question is when, and at what percentage? I can't argue with your logic in this matter. But I didn't think about the "spark" off the bench Aubrey provides. Simply the production. Spark and energy is nice, but they don't win games, points and rebounds do.

Right now, Geno is splitting that 5th starter spot (time) between the two of them. All I'm suggesting is perhaps let Aubrey begin a game or two, then bring Anna in at the 4 minute mark of the 1st quarter, and let her play the first 4 -5 minutes of the 2nd quarter, then bring Aubrey back in. Change things up a bit until Anna's shot arrives.

I'm thinking that in every game, one of them is going to play better that night than the other one. I would want to know early on, which one it is. I'm just thinking out loud here. Remember, I said I'd LIKE to see her start, not that I think she SHOULD start. There's a difference.

RIGHT NOW, I'm simply more impressed with Aubrey's play to date than Anna's, but I love them both. Sure, Anna has done some good things, but so has Aubrey. Whenever Anna finds her shot, I'll withdraw my concern. If you remember, I correctly predicted this summer that Anna would be the 5th starter...................................assuming all things being equal.
As both Aubrey & Anna continue to improve, quite rapidly I suspect, this should be a win-win for UConn. I actually think Geno will end up with a 4-player rotation for the traditional 2,3 & 4 spots utilizing Megan, Christyn, Anna & Aubrey. That’s plenty of PT for everyone. It also allows for Christyn to play a little pg to give Crystal a break, although I think Geno would really prefer that Molly be able to provide 5-10 mpg as Crystal’s backup.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
As I said, I understand the view points of others on this. I'm sure there are many others that share your viewpoint on this. I'm simply interested in getting more production from that 5th starter's spot. If Kayla could come in and produce in that spot, great. Question: how long do you think Geno will continue to start her if her shot is not falling?

It clearly depends on if she is doing all the other stuff to help the team. If it starts to get in the way of the other stuff or it is happening in practice, that is different. On the other hand, I think Geno should try to help her get off the snide by setting up some plays that have her shooting from the foul line like the quick little post screens into the middle that Lou used to feast on. Those shots have a nice tendency to be helped by backboard bounces etc.

Hope the question becomes moot.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
As I said, I understand the view points of others on this. I'm sure there are many others that share your viewpoint on this. I'm simply interested in getting more production from that 5th starter's spot. If Kayla could come in and produce in that spot, great. Question: how long do you think Geno will continue to start her if her shot is not falling? I don't mind the disagreement, but explain why. Maybe you can help me see something I'm missing.
The offense seems to run better while Mak is in the game as opposed to Griff.

And from reports, Geno knows/thinks Mak can shoot lights out.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Would be great if geno could have both Mak and AG in the game to give the Big 4 some rest.
He did play them together some when the Temple game was still competitive. As they both get more comfortable with the system, I strongly suspect we will see more of the two of them in the game at the same time.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The offense seems to run better while Mak is in the game as opposed to Griff.

And from reports, Geno knows/thinks Mak can shoot lights out.
That is correct, but playing devil’s advocate, UConn put the game away in the 4th qtr with Aubrey on the floor outscoring Temple 26-9.

Reaction Score
I'm sure there will be griping (wouldn't be the boneyard without it) but there was definite improvement in the team. Yes, there is still some inconsistency but the curve is going upward without any backsliding. And, the bench squared their previous output +2 today. ;)

I don't think the bench will score 324 points next game, but 36 would be nice. If they can, however, consistently contribute 20 points a game (and give the starters some rest at the end of quarters) they should be ok. The fourth quarter was encouraging!

This is not likely to be a year of multiple thirty and forty point blow outs but as long as they can grind games out it should be a good year.
Actually closer games (for now) might end up being a blessing when we start playing better teams because it's obvious that slowly but surely the team is starting to gel as a unit .... as has been mentioned numerous times, Ania and Aubrey are only going to improve and become substantially better offensively than they presently are, particularly Ania once her shot starts dropping ... that alone spells great things for the Huskies .... I think that by January, you are going to see the team playing very cohesively and confidently and becoming a pretty scary team for anyone come late February and beyond ..... these little steps are all so very positive

Reaction Score
ONO still needs to fight harder underneath and not permit herself to be boxed out by smaller players. And she really needs to stop stepping back for the fade away and start bulling towards the basket. Yes, she got a double-double, as she has in the previous games. She got 10 rebounds, but her Temple counterpart pulled down 9.

She needs to learn how to be a bull under the boards. More toughness, less finesse. Lots of room for improvement.
Again a backward view: Your last bullet; I concur it is hard not to feel the pain when a kid has a contingent of family and friends at HER game!!
Bullets by the numbers:

1. Seems like a trend, but watching Virginia that is their trend too. So Va is no big threat.
2 I concur! Though Geno didn't ask and the last time I offered to him in person---he said "idiot".
There may come a time, when Ania's shot starts to fall and Aubrey is emulating Gabby then and Danger or ONO take a rest and these help in Rebounding and the new guys are capable of working the boards.n
The fast break begins with the rebound, as you know
3. Concur again. I just watched Ania in the 3 point contest--she came in 2nd, after Molly on most made.
She can do it. It takes a more comfortable zone (pressure of a new coach, home, country, life, fame and
Game. Lots to contend with and it's all mental. She missed an assignment today and Geno gave her THAT LOOK>
You brought up something that some Boneyarders might not truly fathom .... Ania is in a completely different culture day in and day out than she has ever lived in, thousands of miles from home and a few games into a season with a completely new team .... it seems like she's adapting quite well but it is still a vastly different world than she's lived before ... she obviously has talent and skills and I think that it'll be sooner rather than later that you'll see her shots drop and her game get even stronger ....

Reaction Score
Ania had seven assists yesterday so you obviously know that means her passes led directly to 14 or more points ... that is scoring .... whether she scores or directly helps others score, it's pretty much the same thing .... I know that assumes that player B would not have made the assist that contributes to a score but I've heard how Ania's passing is benefiting in getting other team members involved, which obviously is a big plus .... I think we have a case of apples and oranges and both players are contributing quite well

Reaction Score
Geno is going to need Aubrey's explosiveness this year, like it or not. Doesnt matter if she is a Freshman. This team just doesnt have enough half-court talent to beat the elite teams. Aubrey will "learn on the job", so be prepared for a lot of mistakes with the good. But, by March, UConn will be a better team for it.

Reaction Score
A couple random thoughts on the Temple game:
  • Good 1st & 4th qtrs. Not so good in the 2nd & 3rd.
  • Through 3 games, the biggest issue that I see with UConn’s offense is a lack of transition scoring. Fast break baskets make offense a whole lot easier.
  • Liv is an absolute force on defense in the paint and her offense continues to improve. She’s starting to play like one of the better posts in the country.
  • Geno is going to face a dilemma very soon. Anna really understands the offense better than Aubrey, but 3 games into the season she’s still in search of her shot. On the other hand, Aubrey’s energy on defense and on the boards is undeniable.
  • I felt a little bad for Kyla and her family early in the game when she hadn’t gotten off the bench, particularly when they showed that contingent of Kyla’s friends and family all sporting “Kyla” t-shirts. Great to see her get in and knock down all of her shots.
I think game 3 was excellent to watch. Geno was back home in Philadelphia. Anna is a confident player with a high basketball IQ ( great passes). She is "everywhere," and her shot will fall. Aubrey is a special talent in Geno's eyes ( and words). He rarely is so public in his compliments ( athleticism, etc ) of a new player. The core three are great talents and exciting to watch. And Olivia will soon be an All American if she consistently hits that fade away jump shot and those 12 footers. The bench are all competent at their jobs which is; cause no harm, and give rest to the starting six.

I feel confident saying, " this will be a team to be reckoned with."

I don't think UVA will be quite the challenge that Temple was. UVA has an exciting new HC ( fantastic
resume ) and seems to have decided that they wish to be a doormat ( in women's BB ) no more. They have a fine group of freshmen and a number of foreign imports as upperclassmen. They will be a force in a year or two, but not today. Although, to be honest, I know nothing of their "imports." But their record last year was not much to crow about.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That is correct, but playing devil’s advocate, UConn put the game away in the 4th qtr with Aubrey on the floor outscoring Temple 26-9.
Not really devil's advocate. UCONN scored 32 in the 1st period with Mak on the floor. You're devil's advocate argument actually is that UCONN's defense is better with Griff on the floor. But we were talking about why Geno seems to prefer Mak in the starting line-up, because.....offense.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Not really devil's advocate. UCONN scored 32 in the 1st period with Mak on the floor. You're devil's advocate argument actually is that UCONN's defense is better with Griff on the floor. But we were talking about why Geno seems to prefer Mak in the starting line-up, because.....offense.
This is one of those eternal basketball arguments. Does UConn win because of great offense or great defense. Of course there is no wrong answer. I’m happy to have both Anna & Aubrey, look forward to watching both develop and I absolutely believe that both will be big contributors by the time the Big Dance rolls around, regardless of which one starts.

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. Cal’s starting center is 6’7”. The Golden Bears also played another 6’4” F/C as a backup or alongside their starting center. Vanderbilt starts an experienced and talented 6’5” Center and a pretty good 6’2” PF. In today’s game Temple subbed in and out 3 frontcourt players who went 6’4”, 6’3” & 6’2”.
Are you suggesting these were elite centers? None of these players would make the roster of a Top 10 team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting these were elite centers? None of these players would make the roster of a Top 10 team.
Don’t change your argument mid-discussion. You claimed the opponents Liv was up against were “relatively short.” Clearly, they were not. Beyond that, 6’5” Mariella Fasoula from Vandy is a really good player, with a lot of low-post moves that give defenders fits. In addition, a number of these players would certainly make the rosters of top 10 teams, because you can never have enough size. How much they would play is open to question.

IMO, these are great matchups for Liv to compete against and gain confidence. As for all those “elite centers”, there really aren’t a lot of them out there. UConn has 3 games against teams with elite centers: Oregon/Hebard, Baylor/Cox & SC/Boston. Liv has 3” on Hebard, Cox is currently out with a foot injury and Boston is just a freshman. I think Liv will hold her own against all of them.

Reaction Score

Disagree. ;);)
Geno knows best. You need Anna involved at the beginning to set up a complete team effort, as happened at Temple. Aubrey isn’t experienced enough to do that, leading to a perhaps exciting if chaotic opening. Again, as I point out frequently, UConn goes down the floor, Anna dishes to (a player to be named later) and we score. Then we do it again. The idea is to score on an offensive possession. Who cares who actually puts it in the basket? Anna missed six out of seven shots. If she had dished instead, how many more assists would she have picked up, how many more points would we score?

Reaction Score
The reasoning behind my comment was I'm wondering how much longer Geno can afford to have Anna on the floor if she's not scoring?

How is the team scoring when she is on the floor? Her assist total says she has value even when not scoring.

Plus, Geno knows that for UConn to go deep in the NCAA's she must be a significant contributor.

Reaction Score
You brought up something that some Boneyarders might not truly fathom .... Ania is in a completely different culture day in and day out than she has ever lived in, thousands of miles from home and a few games into a season with a completely new team .... it seems like she's adapting quite well but it is still a vastly different world than she's lived before ... she obviously has talent and skills and I think that it'll be sooner rather than later that you'll see her shots drop and her game get even stronger ....
I think you are right. We all have to realize Ania ain't in Poland any longer --Antie Em. And OZ comes in the shape of Geno. I won't dare go through the cast of characters..
This can't be like slipping on a new Uniform for her. The culture of the kids within her teammates, while not impossible, must wear on her psyche. Basketball is the common denominator but even that is different to some degree. Heck the NY kids in my unit spoke a language with words I never heard before the military. Culture shock.
I have to say I dearly like all things Ania. I wish the NCAA would allow a trip to a few Polish towns in CT. The only thing common then would be some with the proper language. I just have to accept it won't be really easy for her this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom