Temple Post-game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Temple Post-game

Reaction Score
I am not sure we just watched the same game. Anna moved well on defense, was involved in the flow of the game and Aubrey did take the ball to the basket and made a nice mid-range jumper when she came. Given Aubrey's energy, she is better suited to come off the bench to help the team "raise their level". Given Crystal Dangerfield's reluctance to drive in the lane and then dish off of it, I like Anna doing that-she is showing "pass-first" mentality and is helping with the ball movement. When the team moves the ball around instead of dribbling and trying the Hi-low, they look more fluid. Maybe with Anna's passing and Christyn's dribbling, we could give Crystal Dangerfield some rest?
Agreed. I thought Anna played defense very well.
The last seven minutes. Before the last seven minutes of the Temple game, the kids on the court with UConn uniforms played in a manner that wasn't recognizable as a UConn team. Even when the team was scoring in the first quarter, Temple was virtually scoring at will. For most of the game, it was Temple that got back on defense, Temple that hustled on the fast break, Temple that was boxing out and fighting for rebounds.

But then...

During the last seven minutes, something changed. I suspect it was the freshman Aubrey Griffin showing everyone else on the team how to fight and scrap and hustle. For some reason, the team ignited. The team on the court looked, for the first time this season, like a Geno Auriemma-coached UConn team. They played like a team with both talent and desire and fight. It was Chrysten's beating the entire Temple team to the basket for a layup. It was Dangerfield stealing the pass. For some reason, that team played like the UConn team we've all watched for so many years, and the team we expected to see this year.

Let's hope that the UConn team we saw for the last seven minutes of the fourth quarter today will be the team that shows up for the remainder of the season.
I rather liked UConn better in first quarter, as Geno did as well. Temple hit a lot of threes but UConn’s offense was superb. It suffered a little in second when Anna sat.

Reaction Score
Well, big win in third game. No more gloom. The NC is virtually a given. Excuse me while I extract tongue from cheek.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
What I really appreciated about this game was when Temple was making a comeback and was coming close to being behind by single digits, the Huskies shifted gears again and went on their own run.
Seemed like old times except back then it was taking a 15 point lead and turning it into a 40 point lead. But today, it was a tremendous effort.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
NE's trick plays against Philly must be inspiring Geno. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Apparently she hits every shot in practice. It will come in games.
I feel strangely compelled to quote Professor Allen Iverson.

“Listen Man. We talkin about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin about practice. Not a game.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I feel strangely compelled to quote Professor Allen Iverson.

“Listen Man. We talkin about practice. Not a game. Not a game. Not a game. We talkin about practice. Not a game.

although hitting your shots consistently with Geno watching in practice should be pretty stressful as well.

Reaction Score
A couple random thoughts on the Temple game:
  • Good 1st & 4th qtrs. Not so good in the 2nd & 3rd.
  • Through 3 games, the biggest issue that I see with UConn’s offense is a lack of transition scoring. Fast break baskets make offense a whole lot easier.
  • Liv is an absolute force on defense in the paint and her offense continues to improve. She’s starting to play like one of the better posts in the country.
  • Geno is going to face a dilemma very soon. Anna really understands the offense better than Aubrey, but 3 games into the season she’s still in search of her shot. On the other hand, Aubrey’s energy on defense and on the boards is undeniable.
  • I felt a little bad for Kyla and her family early in the game when she hadn’t gotten off the bench, particularly when they showed that contingent of Kyla’s friends and family all sporting “Kyla” t-shirts. Great to see her get in and knock down all of her shots.
Again a backward view: Your last bullet; I concur it is hard not to feel the pain when a kid has a contingent of family and friends at HER game!!
Bullets by the numbers:

1. Seems like a trend, but watching Virginia that is their trend too. So Va is no big threat.
2 I concur! Though Geno didn't ask and the last time I offered to him in person---he said "idiot".
There may come a time, when Ania's shot starts to fall and Aubrey is emulating Gabby then and Danger or ONO take a rest and these help in Rebounding and the new guys are capable of working the boards.n
The fast break begins with the rebound, as you know
3. Concur again. I just watched Ania in the 3 point contest--she came in 2nd, after Molly on most made.
She can do it. It takes a more comfortable zone (pressure of a new coach, home, country, life, fame and
Game. Lots to contend with and it's all mental. She missed an assignment today and Geno gave her THAT LOOK>

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She got a FG today..... she will remain the starter because of her assists which shows her knowledge of the offense. Her shot will start falling.

I’ve already predicted that Anna will get her first 3 pointer Tuesday. She’ll score in double figures.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Anna got her first field goal today. It was point blank, but it counts just as much as a 17-foot jumper.

Allow me to clarify that. I worded that poorly, that’s not what I meant. I was NOT referring to her lay up yesterday. I saw that. I'm talking about a conventional "jump shot". I'm predicting she will get her first 3 pt basket Tuesday. After that, hopefully she scores in double figures that game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe if Liv does as you suggest, she will be in foul trouble very quickly. Today she did not fight for position that she did not need and was not bulling towards the basket. And how many fouls, offensive and defensive rebounds did she have?
Liv has played well the first 3 games - debatable if UConn would have won without her. Point is not to push (i.e. foul) but be able to hold her position on offense and defense as will be needed against tougher competition. 3 games against relatively short, poor rebounding competition not getting her ready for Top 10 players.

Reaction Score
For the record it's who ever.
Aubrey is the best 6th player off the bench but right now she doesn’t see the floor. She will, however, add a needed spark coming in off the bench, our Tasmanian devil. Anna, playing 15-20 minutes less that the four horses manages to lead team in assists. Assists means plays will work, assists help team play as one. And her assists weren’t just finding the open player, in some cases they created the open player, things of beauty. I don’t talk much about core four, just admire.

Carnac

Reaction Score
if she plays 35 plus minutes a game she should be a double double machine......................

I made that observation this summer. The 10 rebounds will be easier than the 10 points which she’s not having a problem getting, because they’re feeding her in the paint which translates to lots of touches and opportunities to score.
She can make 5 points in each half playing starters minutes.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
3 games against relatively short, poor rebounding competition not getting her ready for Top 10 players.
I beg to differ. Cal’s starting center is 6’7”. The Golden Bears also played another 6’4” F/C as a backup or alongside their starting center. Vanderbilt starts an experienced and talented 6’5” Center and a pretty good 6’2” PF. In today’s game Temple subbed in and out 3 frontcourt players who went 6’4”, 6’3” & 6’2”.

Reaction Score
Overall the play was the best so far this season—though it’s only been three games. Anna’s assists totals so far have been wonderful. Her shot will fall. I’m just hoping that when it does she still drives into the lane and that she also starts taking some of those as shots for herself rather than just passing out of it. Still she’s a smart player with a passing mentality which is good. The two best things today were seeing UConn hit 3s and Kyla getting some minutes and scoring. Gotta love the cutaways to her mom cheering for her daughter like Kyla just hit a buzzer beater to win the championship. I hope this game gave her some confidence and a bit of a push to try to get into the rotation even if it’s just for 2-3 minutes at a time when someone needs a break.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Liv has played well the first 3 games - debatable if UConn would have won without her. Point is not to push (i.e. foul) but be able to hold her position on offense and defense as will be needed against tougher competition. 3 games against relatively short, poor rebounding competition not getting her ready for Top 10 players.
Liv does not make the schedule. She has to play against whoever is on the opposing team. Was the coaching staff supposed to sit her until they played a team with a player her size or taller? It is hard to see why anyone would down play her contributions so far. She is averaging a double double. Also, see oldude's post above.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Movement on the Half Court offensive end and energy was drastically improved. Mia Davis is a baller for the Owls she is Tough ability to make highly contested shots is incredible. Megan has the skills and athleticism equal to Mia if she played with more of an edge like Mia teams would struggle against us as focusing on Megan would give additional open looks for the other players...Megan is so much improved I believe this is the direction and role she is looking to grow into as a player this year...Very pleased for her...

Reaction Score
Geno should tell Anna there is such a thing as an open mid-range jumper & layups. Stop hoisting up 3's, especially when your shot is not falling!
Those are open shots she is taking; no hoisting going on. The same thing happened to Lou at the beginning of her Freshman year. Try traveling 6000 miles, taking college courses in your second language and starting on a team with 10000 people in the gym! You might miss a few as well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Who has more double-doubles this season, Sabrina Ionescu or Olivia Nelson-Ododa?

Olivia! She has 3 in 3 games. Sabrina has 2 in 3 games, one of which was a triple-double.

Hope

flowers die
Reaction Score
Oh, for sure.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Oh, for sure.

But no mention of our attacking mythical Griffin swooping in :eek: ;)

1574073929728.png

Reaction Score
Yes but I think she was a bit fortunate. She continues to tomahawk her blocks. When timed right, it looks great but when she does not, easy foul call.

One personal foul shows more than being a "bit fortunate".
I ask isn't it time to change that tired narrative from last year regarding Liv's "tomahawk" blocking style.
Her technique has improved, as evidenced by the multiple clean blocks in three games, so how about leaving out the "buts" and moving on?

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom