Temple Post-game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Temple Post-game

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I
I kind of like the way Geno has been using the two of them......................AM is a fine passer and seems to know the offense better then AG.....................AG brings instant energy and changes the flow of the game so I'd say she is more suitable as the first player off the bench.................either way they'll both get some big minutes during this season..........

Totally agree. Aubrey gets to absorb the game early on the bench from her coaches and then explode with energy and attitude. And having Anna in the starting 5 should keep her confidence up

Reaction Score
The last seven minutes. Before the last seven minutes of the Temple game, the kids on the court with UConn uniforms played in a manner that wasn't recognizable as a UConn team. Even when the team was scoring in the first quarter, Temple was virtually scoring at will. For most of the game, it was Temple that got back on defense, Temple that hustled on the fast break, Temple that was boxing out and fighting for rebounds.

But then...

During the last seven minutes, something changed. I suspect it was the freshman Aubrey Griffin showing everyone else on the team how to fight and scrap and hustle. For some reason, the team ignited. The team on the court looked, for the first time this season, like a Geno Auriemma-coached UConn team. They played like a team with both talent and desire and fight. It was Chrysten's beating the entire Temple team to the basket for a layup. It was Dangerfield stealing the pass. For some reason, that team played like the UConn team we've all watched for so many years, and the team we expected to see this year.

Let's hope that the UConn team we saw for the last seven minutes of the fourth quarter today will be the team that shows up for the remainder of the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Yes but I think she was a bit fortunte. She continues to tomahawk her blocks. When timed right, it looks great but when he does not, easy foul call.
Yes, she still tomahawk's some of her shots. But Liv has gotten much better at moving her feet and keeping her hands straight up. Last year, there's no way Liv could have played 35 minutes in a game without fouling out.

Reaction Score
Maybe Liv's best stat of the day: only 1 personal foul.....:)

ONO still needs to fight harder underneath and not permit herself to be boxed out by smaller players. And she really needs to stop stepping back for the fade away and start bulling towards the basket. Yes, she got a double-double, as she has in the previous games. She got 10 rebounds, but her Temple counterpart pulled down 9.

She needs to learn how to be a bull under the boards. More toughness, less finesse. Lots of room for improvement.

Reaction Score
I liked this game. Much improved over the last two games. A little better defense and it seems like the 3 ball started to drop. Good to see Aubrey G making some baskets and I was glad to Anna keep shooting even though she was missing. I am optimistic that a breakout shooting game for her is on the horizon. Geno seemed calm and collected: that's a good thing. I look to see more improvement in each game as we go through the season. And Anna scoring 24 points.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Before the game, I thought this would be a marked improvement over the last two. It was. Things were stagnant on offense for much of the middle of the game, but the first and fourth quarters, they looked much better than at any time in the first two games.

Love the contributions from the bench. Maybe they'll force Geno to play them more.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Anna got her first field goal today. It was point blank, but it counts just as much as a 17-foot jumper.
I’m happy she finally got a basket, but even that layup almost rolled around the rim and out.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
So Geno can better enjoy the Eagles Patriots game. :)

Reaction Score
Aubrey and Ania excel at things the other is weak at. Ania on offense moves and has vision. But her defense is questionable and like KLS, doesn’t jump when attempting to rebound.
While Aubrey is great on defense and gets on the boards. But on offense she’s watching, rather than moving.
Because we are a horrible rebounding team, I would prefer Aubrey to start. But it seems Geno has decided who the 5th starter is

Reaction Score
RIGHT NOW, Aubrey is producing more than Anna. That may change as time goes on. I would like to see Aubrey start, and Anna spell her off the bench for the time being. UConn still needs more production from that 5th starter's spot. Whether she starts or not, I'd like to see Aubrey get at least 18-22 minutes a game.

She looks much more comfortable out there today than she did in game one against Cal. The more she plays, the more relaxed she'll be, and the soon the game will come to her. I like what I'm seeing from Aubrey. While she still does not know the system yet, she knows enough to go out there and function and be productive.

Anna will get her first FG Tuesday at home (XL) against Virginia. TV: CBSSN ;)
She got a FG today..... she will remain the starter because of her assists which shows her knowledge of the offense. Her shot will start falling.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Aubrey and Ania excel at things the other is weak at. Ania on offense moves and has vision. But her defense is questionable and like KLS, doesn’t jump when attempting to rebound.
While Aubrey is great on defense and gets on the boards. But on offense she’s watching, rather than moving.
Because we are a horrible rebounding team, I would prefer Aubrey to start. But it seems Geno has decided who the 5th starter is
I am not sure we just watched the same game. Anna moved well on defense, was involved in the flow of the game and Aubrey did take the ball to the basket and made a nice mid-range jumper when she came. Given Aubrey's energy, she is better suited to come off the bench to help the team "raise their level". Given Crystal Dangerfield's reluctance to drive in the lane and then dish off of it, I like Anna doing that-she is showing "pass-first" mentality and is helping with the ball movement. When the team moves the ball around instead of dribbling and trying the Hi-low, they look more fluid. Maybe with Anna's passing and Christyn's dribbling, we could give Crystal Dangerfield some rest?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
ONO still needs to fight harder underneath and not permit herself to be boxed out by smaller players. And she really needs to stop stepping back for the fade away and start bulling towards the basket. Yes, she got a double-double, as she has in the previous games. She got 10 rebounds, but her Temple counterpart pulled down 9.

She needs to learn how to be a bull under the boards. More toughness, less finesse. Lots of room for improvement.
I believe if Liv does as you suggest, she will be in foul trouble very quickly. Today she did not fight for position that she did not need and was not bulling towards the basket. And how many fouls, offensive and defensive rebounds did she have?

Reaction Score
Once again, Anna led the team in assists with 7.

I know it has been said over and over, but her shots will start to drop. When it happens, these Huskies will be a completely different team.

Very happy with today’s energy and the 18 points from the bench.
Yes, Anna/Ania made great, intelligent passes and played solid defense. Aubrey will be a great player down the road but UConn is a much better team with Anna on the floor. Apparently she hits every shot in practice. It will come in games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom