Taliek Brown Joining Staff | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown Joining Staff

Reaction Score
All-time assist leader joining the staff? Yes please!

I came in to post just this. In our long and successful history, this guy is the all time assist leader. More than that, he imposed the flow of the game, dictated the tempo, forced our will. Maybe better than anyone else. The Moore/El Amin backcourt was different. Taliek ran our offense the way we wanted, no matter what the other team wanted.

Reaction Score
Like many others here I'm sure, I have been to many of the Calhoun alumni games at Mohegan Sun. I can say without a doubt although most, if not all of the players are very nice, Taliek left a lasting impression on me above all of being such a friendly and engaging guy. Very happy for both him and Uconn

Reaction Score
Great move by Danny Hurley. The whole New York footprint recruiting wise, off court player and team development, older role model who walked in your shoes fellas, and some UConn family loyalty.
Much respect to Taliek and a rousing welcome from UConn Nation. Taliek bleeds blue, always has, and will testify to the rewards of hard work and determined effort. Taliek really wants to be here and carries that UConn pride, just a super messenger for the Huskies. Congratulations Taliek!

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
TB is one of my favorite Huskies of all time - not because he was the best player but due to the fact that he overcame all the crap from the naysayers and led UConn to a NC
This is a great pick by Coach Hurley
I got to know TB between his soph and jr years while I was working the soccer camp up at Storrs = great kid who despite coming from a not so great background really had his head screwed on straight
Always had time to say Hi while at JC's alumni games and when I saw him at MSG during the BE tournaments
WELCOME BACK TB

Reaction Score
Nice to have Taliek back. Tom Moore once told me that he thought Taliek was the most under-rated player during Tom's 1st go-round at UConn.
I guess he really liked Taliek. He told me during the 2003-2004 season that he thought the team could win the national championship not because of all the elite talent but because Taliek was playing elite defense on the other teams' point guards.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I want to attribute the infamous quote to Gottleib, but can't remember for the life of me who actually said, "You can't win an NCAA Championship with Taliek Brown as your point guard."

It sounds like something Dookie V. would have said. In 1983 he proclaimed: "No team will ever win a national championship with a freshman point guard."

Reaction Score
A very good and talented team... that his predecessor found a way to win 14 games with and lose 8 games by 20 or more points. Dont set unreasonable expectations for Hurley to flourish in year one. This is a 2 to 3 year rebuilding process to get the program back to where it should be.

Now 14 wins with what a few of you describe as a horrible disgusting coaching job and we can’t expect anything yet? I mean you got the guy you’ve been asking for and he won a lot of games with similar talent where he was so he needs 2-3 years? They basically have everyone back (let’s nit overrate Larrier please) and they’re a year more mature in body and game. Also he’s doing great things to prepare them for the rigors of the college game while adding a couple nice pieces including Sid Wilson. Sorry but for me 18-20 wins is the least we should see if he’s as good of a coach as it would seem. I know you’d prefer to sandbag his expectations so you could say “see what he did with Ollie’s team” when they dance again but I’m not having it.

I think he gets it done, wins a couple big recruiting battles and gets them back to our expectations in 1 year tops. He has enough to work with now, especially “if” Alterique is able to give him a healthy year.

Reaction Score
A solid choice to strengthen the metro NY area for recruiting.

Also puts someone in place that could be developed as the next assistant coaching hire should Kimani Young move to another coaching job in the next few years.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It sounds like something Dookie V. would have said. In 1983 he proclaimed: "No team will ever win a national championship with a freshman point guard."

Except Dookie, for all his faults, would never rip an individual player like that.

Reaction Score
Mau is excited about this hire. Never said he wasn’t tough as hell and a great defender, 2nd to only Ricky. These are coaching requirements and he can be very good helping to instill these things.

This is dope! :cool:

Except that in his position he cannot do any coaching.

I like the premise of his job though, as I've long felt the colleges need to develop several "life skills" type classes that would help these kids manage their lives when they leave their sheltered college days. Of course, what they really need is to make decisions for themselves and discover there are consequences to their decisions that could be minor or could negatively or positively affect the rest of their lives.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Except Dookie, for all his faults, would never rip an individual player like that.

He did in 1983...he was specifically ripping Alvin Franklin. You can argue he qualified it with the freshman remark, but he was talking about Franklin by name.

C

Chief00

Like many others here I'm sure, I have been to many of the Calhoun alumni games at Mohegan Sun. I can say without a doubt although most, if not all of the players are very nice, Taliek left a lasting impression on me above all of being such a friendly and engaging guy. Very happy for both him and Uconn

Confirmed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Inclusion is a hell of a drug”

I am a fan of Uconn basketball but I am not delusional like some on this message board. I look at things from every perspective and not what I want or hope things to be.
@JMick @CL82
Lol kind of the opposite of how you post though. You post as if Kevin Ollie wasn't a phenomenally bad coach the past few years, who alienated his player, his bosses, the fans and oh yeah, the guy who handed him the job on a silver platter. On top of that he violated NCAA rules and lied about it to his bosses. Then he threatened to smear the school and two beloved Hall of Fame coaches if he wasn't paid $10M to which he, as we all can agree at this point, is not entitled.

Yet these things are conspicuously absent from your posts. Kind of surprising for a man of all perspectives like yourself.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
TB is one of my favorite Huskies of all time - not because he was the best player but due to the fact that he overcame all the crap from the naysayers and led UConn to a NC
This is a great pick by Coach Hurley
I got to know TB between his soph and jr years while I was working the soccer camp up at Storrs = great kid who despite coming from a not so great background really had his head screwed on straight
Always had time to say Hi while at JC's alumni games and when I saw him at MSG during the BE tournaments
WELCOME BACK TB
I was a TB apologista. I was accused of making excuses for TB when I pointed out he was playing with turf toe and sufferered the loss of his best friend to a shooting the same year.

Kid was tough as nails. When he hit the 3 pointer at MSG there wasn’t anyone happier for him.

Reaction Score
Lol kind of the opposite of how you post though. You post as if Kevin Ollie wasn't a phenomenally bad coach the past few years, who alienated his player, his bosses, the fans and oh yeah, the guy who handed him the job on a silver platter. On top of that he violated NCAA rules and lied about it to his bosses. Then he threatened to smear the school and two beloved Hall of Fame coaches if he wasn't paid $10M to which he, as we all can agree at this point, is not entitled.

Yet these things are conspicuously absent from your posts. Kind of surprising for a man of all perspectives like yourself.
don't let him fool you. literally all he posts about is Kevin Ollie

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
don't let him fool you. literally all he posts about is Kevin Ollie
Haha, I doubt he is fooling anyone JMick.

Reaction Score
Now 14 wins with what a few of you describe as a horrible disgusting coaching job and we can’t expect anything yet? I mean you got the guy you’ve been asking for and he won a lot of games with similar talent where he was so he needs 2-3 years? They basically have everyone back (let’s nit overrate Larrier please) and they’re a year more mature in body and game. Also he’s doing great things to prepare them for the rigors of the college game while adding a couple nice pieces including Sid Wilson. Sorry but for me 18-20 wins is the least we should see if he’s as good of a coach as it would seem. I know you’d prefer to sandbag his expectations so you could say “see what he did with Ollie’s team” when they dance again but I’m not having it.

I think he gets it done, wins a couple big recruiting battles and gets them back to our expectations in 1 year tops. He has enough to work with now, especially “if” Alterique is able to give him a healthy year.
Agree 100%. My gut tells me we are going to be the surprise of the year in college BB. GUESS WHAT UCONN HATERS. WE'RRRRE BACK!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom