Taliek Brown Joining Staff | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Taliek Brown Joining Staff

Reaction Score
Everything was "off" last year. Look at the national ranking on assists. Roster construction was an absolute mess as well with only 3 healthy guards (who inexplicably often all started) and in one game 3 of our five starters didnt score a single point. Therefore, I have a hard time believing KO would have turned things around and won 20 or more games next season.

Nevertheless, I am thrilled to have Hurley as our Head Coach. I just dont expect huge things in year one, but I would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Man leave it be please at some point.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Somebody(s) was setting the bar at 25 wins, trolling or not. I thought it was Stain or August or fleud.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
Even I have a good Taliek Brown story I do. I was at the Electrik Blue after a game (I was much younger, like mid 40's and still occasionally did stupid things:oops:.

Anyway myself and my buddies are near the stage, okay we were AT it. Nonetheless 2 of my fav's and Tony Robertson walk in, that would be Taliek and Johnnie Time. Anyway I walked by them and went to the mens room and on the way back just wanted to say great game guys etc etc and who reaches out to shake hands and say thanks of the 3? Yeah you guessed it and you know I didn't introduce myself as "Mauconnfan" thats for sure LOL. Anyway he did win me over a bit as a good kid, not that the others not doing the same turned me off or anything, it just shows something obviously to acknowledge and do what he did when he could easily have ignored me and quite honestly probably should have.

Glad he's back I really am he's a Husky who fought in the trenches and he's around the kids "coaching" or not.
Not sure that it was necessary to call out Taliek at Electrik Blue on a public forum. I know that we are all responsible for our actions, but I would hope that someone that saw me there would use some discretion. Man code!

Reaction Score
A very good and talented team... that his predecessor found a way to win 14 games with and lose 8 games by 20 or more points. Dont set unreasonable expectations for Hurley to flourish in year one. This is a 2 to 3 year rebuilding process to get the program back to where it should be.
You can’t be serious @Huskybass. Coach Calhoun last season at the helm he went 20-14 with a roster consisted of Drummond, Lamb, Napier, Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre Daniels, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander Enosch Wolf. Coach Calhoun left the team banned from postseason play. The team also lost one scholarship, reduced from 13 to 12, and was restricted in other recruiting activities. Minus Drummond, Lamb, Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, Kevin Ollie went 20-10 in his first season at the helm. In 2013-2014 coach Ollie went 32-8. One year after being banned from postseason play for sanctions, the Huskies defeated Villanova, Michigan State and the Florida Gators in the national semifinal round and the Kentucky Wildcats in the 2014 National Championship Game. They were only 2 players that received playing time consistently under Coach Calhoun and that was Napier and Boatright. Hurley’s team this season can be as good as the 2013-2014 team. I expect a minimum of 23 wins this season. Anything less is a failure.

Reaction Score
Ollie had Calhoun's players. Hurley has Ollie's players. Ollie couldn't manage a .500 season with his players but you call anything less than 23 wins for Hurley a failure? Do you enjoy sounding like an idiot? Hurley won't be as much of a failure as Ollie was. That is my expectation.

Reaction Score
Ollie had Calhoun's players. Hurley has Ollie's players. Ollie couldn't manage a .500 season with his players but you call anything less than 23 wins for Hurley a failure? Do you enjoy sounding like an idiot? Hurley won't be as much of a failure as Ollie was. That is my expectation.
If Hurley never win a National Championship at UCONN, he’s a bust. Ollie has 1. You can take that to the bank. You’re the idiot. Calhoun players? Please, you’re delusional. Calhoun had the Drummond, Lamb, Smith, Oriakhi... with Boatright and Napier and won 20 games. Daniels was in his dog house. Go get your blanket little boy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can’t be serious @Huskybass. Coach Calhoun last season at the helm he went 20-14 with a roster consisted of Drummond, Lamb, Napier, Oriakhi, Roscoe Smith, DeAndre Daniels, Niels Giffey, Tyler Olander Enosch Wolf. Coach Calhoun left the team banned from postseason play. The team also lost one scholarship, reduced from 13 to 12, and was restricted in other recruiting activities. Minus Drummond, Lamb, Oriakhi and Roscoe Smith, Kevin Ollie went 20-10 in his first season at the helm. In 2013-2014 coach Ollie went 32-8. One year after being banned from postseason play for sanctions, the Huskies defeated Villanova, Michigan State and the Florida Gators in the national semifinal round and the Kentucky Wildcats in the 2014 National Championship Game. They were only 2 players that received playing time consistently under Coach Calhoun and that was Napier and Boatright. Hurley’s team this season can be as good as the 2013-2014 team. I expect a minimum of 23 wins this season. Anything less is a failure.

This team can be as good as the 2014 national champions? Delusional trolling.

Reaction Score
Not sure that it was necessary to call out Taliek at Electrik Blue on a public forum. I know that we are all responsible for our actions, but I would hope that someone that saw me there would use some discretion. Man code!

I don’t need a lesson on man code from anyone and he was in college what’s the big deal? Loosen up didn’t mean harm to him at 21 years old geez:rolleyes:

Reaction Score

Not sure who’s the idiot but most of JCs players weren’t much better or happier after the APR hit. Again anyone who doesn’t give KO credit for his first 2 years because he “ had JCs players” is a hater period. He did great things with guys who thought about leaving the program as well as coming off a very unhappy season. And Giffey and Daniels weren’t even in JCs rotation. Your point is not very good I’m afraid.

Reaction Score
If Hurley never win a National Championship at UCONN, he’s a bust. Ollie has 1. You can take that to the bank.

Hurley is a bust until proven otherwise. Championships > everything. Javale > Barkley.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Just occured to me...
Ollie had a point guard form our first championship team on staff.
Coaching change, and now we have the point guard from our 2nd championship team on staff.
So in 5 or 6 years, or whenever, when Hurley moves on, we gonna get Kemba on staff?
I'm good with that.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Uncle Cliffy.

Yes, I indicated he got a couple of good players. Robinson was one of them, but he was young and not necessarily somebody who was going to be an instant impact guy like Adams can be this coming season.

Reaction Score
If Hurley never win a National Championship at UCONN, he’s a bust. Ollie has 1. You can take that to the bank. You’re the idiot. Calhoun players? Please, you’re delusional. Calhoun had the Drummond, Lamb, Smith, Oriakhi... with Boatright and Napier and won 20 games. Daniels was in his dog house. Go get your blanket little boy.
Yeah, moron, Calhoun's players. Calhoun picked them. He had the eye for talent. And he also coached them in the most critical early years. Once Ollie had only the players he chose and he "coached", he couldn't get above .500. Tubby also had one championship with a team another coach picked. Steve Fisher too. How many more did they win? And they were better than Ollie. Ollie is going to lose. Again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You can’t be serious @Huskybass. I expect a minimum of 23 wins this season. Anything less is a failure.

Wow surprised that you feel that Dan Hurley is that dramatically better a coach than KO to expect that much improvement.

Just curious, if say 18 to 20 wins is a failure, what are two losing seasons in a row? A mega failure?

CL82

Reaction Score
Not sure who’s the idiot but most of JCs players weren’t much better or happier after the APR hit. Again anyone who doesn’t give KO credit for his first 2 years because he “ had JCs players” is a hater period. He did great things with guys who thought about leaving the program as well as coming off a very unhappy season. And Giffey and Daniels weren’t even in JCs rotation. Your point is not very good I’m afraid.
KO's first two years were outstanding. After that? Not so much.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
So much of the back and forth in this thread talks about win-loss records, and recalls players mostly as mere names. Close your eyes a moment and reimagine the games you saw during the last two years (and even the two prior if you like). I submit that you did not see much memorable and well-played basketball. I don't know if that adds up to much or not, but I do think it's worth mentioning.

I am hopeful for much more enjoyably watchable basketball in the coming season.

Reaction Score
Wow surprised that you feel that Dan Hurley is that dramatically better a coach than KO to expect that much improvement.

Just curious, if say 18 to 20 wins is a failure, what are two losing seasons in a row? A mega failure?
Ohh, I see you forgot that Ollie’s group was hampered with significant injuries the past 2 seasons. He also played a very tough none conference Schedule. I will admit he didn’t do his finest job the past 2 seasons. I will also admit that his divorce from his wife also played a part. I will also admit the man can coach. I don’t think anyone and I mean anyone could have done a better job than Ollie at UCONN his first 2 seasons. Again, Hurley should and will win 23 games or more this season. He has one of the best backcourt in the nation and several other talented pieces.

Reaction Score
Patiently waiting for the season to start. Looking forward to this season. Forgetting all the rhetoric.

Reaction Score

Quite possibly the most ludicrous take in the history of the Boneyard.

CL82

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone and I mean anyone could have done a better job than Ollie at UCONN his first 2 seasons.
Agreed. Afterward, he was among the worst coaches in the nation.

Again, Hurley should and will win 23 games or more this season. He has one of the best backcourt in the nation and several other talented pieces.
I doubt it. KO left a dysfunctional dumpster pile. Some of the pieces are solid but the have been burdened with bad and or non-existent coaching. I have faith in Hurley and he has shown an ability to rebuild programs, but I think you are unduly optimistic. I get it though, the past two years have been miserable for all us, it will be good to have a responsible adult back in charge of the program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom