Syracusefan.com | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracusefan.com

Reaction Score
Guys, a quick note on the whole super bowl argument. When your team consistently underperforms in the postseason, when ones team postseason record is increibly inferior to their rivals exceptional postseason record, a yearning and jealousy for their arch rival develops. They then begin to project — It’s actually their super bowl, you can see that on every single one of their fans faces at this game — they want that win and they want it bad — they know it and they hate it.

Don’t get me wrong, great win last night in the best hoops venue in the country which was absolutely electric last night (I rewatched this morning and the crowd noise was significantly louder in person then it was on tv) but Cuse lost their super bowl, our super bowl comes in March.

PS ...I’m trying to temper my enthusiasm about Dan Hurley but I can’t, every time I picture him on the sideline last night I get very confident that I could run through a brick wall.

Reaction Score
Do they seriously think a November game is our Super Bowl? Seriously? We won a National Title just 4 years ago, 3 since they won their only one and 4 in last 20 years. But yeah, this game was our super bowl. Hope Notre Dame hangs 60 on them Saturday.

Reaction Score
Almost every other rivalry in sports...is about hating the other team. But at the end of the day, you want to play against them. They are so insecure that they resort to things like "why do we play UConn, this is their Super Bowl, etc."

It kills them that we aren't dead. And now we have our star coach for hopefully the next 20 + years while their HOF's time coaching is up soon.

Reaction Score
Have to admit I love lurking their board after a night like last night, but let's be honest, there haven't been a ton of opportunities to do that for a while.

The problem with Syracuse fans (at least on that board, because frankly most Syracuse people I've met in real life are cool) is it's never about the basketball. It's just "why do we play them and give them exposure" "they're a mid major" "they're going to die on the vine" "ACC vs AAC" crap. That board absolutely loves that we were the last one standing in the musical chairs game, and would like nothing more than for the program to keep fading into total irrelevancy.

I never understood that. Heated rivalries make watching the games fun. If we had gotten into the ACC and Syracuse got stuck in the American I wouldn't be rooting for them to then die out. That's just...idk what that is. Frankly it's just mean spirited at its core, beyond any sports-hate. I can't respect people like that.

Reaction Score
Almost every other rivalry in sports...is about hating the other team. But at the end of the day, you want to play against them. They are so insecure that they resort to things like "why do we play UConn, this is their Super Bowl, etc."

It kills them that we aren't dead. And now we have our star coach for hopefully the next 20 + years while their HOF's time coaching is up soon.

I think even worse for them is they know even though they are in the ACC and we are 'stuck' in the AAC, they are no better off than us and our future is brighter with Hurley. Plus, 4>1

Reaction Score
Do they seriously think a November game is our Super Bowl? Seriously? We won a National Title just 4 years ago, 3 since they won their only one and 4 in last 20 years. But yeah, this game was our super bowl. Hope Notre Dame hangs 60 on them Saturday.

They have some very unimaginative insults over there. A good portion of their fanbase closes their eyes and tries to convince themselves that we ceased to be relevant when the Big East ended. They can't stand that we're still alive and frankly have a brighter future over the next decade. All they can ever say is "uhderrr, but ACC vs AAC! They're a mid-major!".

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They are just like us. Talking trash, making excuses to save face. In reality we miss each other's rivalry. They and Pitt took over when St. John's and Boston College became irrelevant. Of course PC was never relevant. But that's just it. It's not geography. It's having to fight it out with a team for conference dominance.

We need to find a new rival. I don't believe it has anything to do with the AAC. It has to do with us not rising to the occasion. I look forward to when we talk smack with Cinci, Memphis and Houston fans and Cuse fans become irrelevant like BC fans. Mark my word. It will happen for a season or two. Why just a season or two? Because UConn will be pulled into the Big and playing the likes of Michigan St ........

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
How does that Net Ranking System work? Should we be rooting for the Orange this afternoon? Doesn't matter to me, F Cuse.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Have to admit I love lurking their board after a night like last night, but let's be honest, there haven't been a ton of opportunities to do that for a while.

The problem with Syracuse fans (at least on that board, because frankly most Syracuse people I've met in real life are cool) is it's never about the basketball. It's just "why do we play them and give them exposure" "they're a mid major" "they're going to die on the vine" "ACC vs AAC" crap. That board absolutely loves that we were the last one standing in the musical chairs game, and would like nothing more than for the program to keep fading into total irrelevancy.

I never understood that. Heated rivalries make watching the games fun. If we had gotten into the ACC and Syracuse got stuck in the American I wouldn't be rooting for them to then die out. That's just...idk what that is. Frankly it's just mean spirited at its core, beyond any sports-hate. I can't respect people like that.

Completely agree. And yet, we once found UConn football fans saying similar things about BC. We should want to play them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How does that Net Ranking System work? Should we be rooting for the Orange this afternoon? Doesn't matter to me, F Cuse.

Once we beat Iowa it won't really matter.

Reaction Score
“Time to cut them loose. We’re on the Kentucky, Kansas, Michigan St tier. We need to schedule them not play down to programs like UConn.”
Remind me again how a program with one championship is playing down to a program with four...I am kind of lost. Perhaps focus on beating a "lesser" opponent before focusing on Kentucky, Kansas, etc.

“We’re too good to be playing them anyways”

“It’s their super bowl”
Nope, OUR superbowl, despite the last two years is always in March.

BTW, Yo Cuse, you are welcome to join anytime you want, we were there in 1999, 2004, 2011 and 2014, it is quite fun, don't shy away! It has been a while since you were there, 2003 is it?

Reaction Score
They are just like us. Talking trash, making excuses to save face. In reality we miss each other's rivalry. They and Pitt took over when St. John's and Boston College became irrelevant. Of course PC was never relevant. But that's just it. It's not geography. It's having to fight it out with a team for conference dominance.

We need to find a new rival. I don't believe it has anything to do with the AAC. It has to do with us not rising to the occasion. I look forward to when we talk smack with Cinci, Memphis and Houston fans and Cuse fans become irrelevant like BC fans. Mark my word. It will happen for a season or two. Why just a season or two? Because UConn will be pulled into the Big and playing the likes of Michigan St ...
Wait what, you think UConn will be in the Big 10 in 2 years? You think BC was once relevant?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Most delusional fan base out there. Like someone said, at least Duke has won championships. They deserve to be cocky. Cuse fans...they would rather brag about 20k coming to the Dome (which is a dump btw) than actual focusing on winning championships.
UConn has more National Championships, more Conference Tournament Championships, and I believe more Conference Regular Season Titles. But that means nothing because Cuse is in the ACC...

Bost4

Mr. to you...
Reaction Score
Completely agree. And yet, we once found UConn football fans saying similar things about BC. We should want to play them.
I can try and call Coach Addazio. He was my high school coach and our PE teacher. He is one intense dude. But he loved me...

Reaction Score
They are talking about Wyoming winning a national championship too (in 1943) and then asking what's the big deal about UConn's championships.

This actually does call attention to the fact that they have the same number of NCAA tournament titles (i.e since 1939) as Wyoming.

So maybe the better question is: what's the big deal about Syracuse's championship(s)?

Reaction Score
Syracuse.com has a gallery of fans at the game a couple of my favorites:
1542390053432.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99