Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What a weird ending to Boeheim.

Is Autry a zone D guy? Some zones are fun to watch (see Merrimack), but the Boeheim zone is a drain to watch.

Syracuse is fun to root against, but watching them in that zone, period, was just so boring.

caw

Reaction Score
So, if he's looking for a job, I hear Georgetown might be opening up.

Seriously though, he doesn't sound like he wants to stop coaching. Would he ever take a job elsewhere?

Reaction Score
Neither guy really went out well.

Calhoun kinda hamstrung recruiting for a few seasons because he would tell everyone who would listen that he might retire in the next three minutes.

The Coach K or Roy Williams way is the way….either say it early and play out the season or just do it at the end of the year.
Coach K was all about having his ego catered to on the way out. Williams announcing after the season was respectable.

Reaction Score

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If CBS is smart, they are doing just that.

Say what you will, he’s one of the most brilliant basketball minds out there - and unlike most coaches or analysts, he pays attention to the game in general.

If there’s a 3/14 matchup, he knows the three seed and he knows the 14 seed.
If he was so basketball smart he would’ve scrapped the zone in an era where everyone spaces the floor and shoots 28 foot 3s.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
If he was so basketball smart he would’ve scrapped the zone in an era where everyone spaces the floor and shoots 28 foot 3s.
That may have been his ultimate problem.

The 2/3 was his strength. He knew how to coach that.

It was not necessarily the strength of NCAA bball or the strength of his players.

Literally, the game had passed him by.

Reaction Score
I can’t imagine Boe-whine announcing games or working in the studio. He seemed to hold most members of the media in contempt; joining their ranks would be like sending his grandkids to college at Georgetown or UConn.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Neither guy really went out well.

Calhoun kinda hamstrung recruiting for a few seasons because he would tell everyone who would listen that he might retire in the next three minutes.

The Coach K or Roy Williams way is the way….either say it early and play out the season or just do it at the end of the year.

I think HooperScooper was simply saying, correctly, that JC went out on his own terms. Nobody forced him out.

Whether the way he left was good for the program is another matter. I think you summarized the consensus pretty concisely.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If CBS is smart, they are doing just that.

Say what you will, he’s one of the most brilliant basketball minds out there - and unlike most coaches or analysts, he pays attention to the game in general.

If there’s a 3/14 matchup, he knows the three seed and he knows the 14 seed.
He used to do a great tourney preview with Mike Franseca every year.

Reaction Score
Surprised they didn’t hire Brad Stevens. No way he would’ve turned down the clementines.

Reaction Score
Hate the guy, but respect him. 47 years living in that frozen hell-scape of a dump says a lot. If the university had any class (which it doesn’t), they let him coach for 3 years and retire out at 50 years with proper recognition.

Reaction Score
Since Cuse left the BE to go the ACC Boeheim became one miserable SOB. Wish him a happier life in post coaching career.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think HooperScooper was simply saying, correctly, that JC went out on his own terms. Nobody forced him out.

Whether the way he left was good for the program is another matter. I think you summarized the consensus pretty concisely.
I know, he left the program in such a state that it was a national championship at the first possible opportunity after his retirement.

That bastard!

Reaction Score

I don’t think either of us have evidence but the idea that Boeheim is plugged in on 14 seeds seems hilarious. I do agree he would be tremendous content and CBS should hire if smart.

Reaction Score
That may have been his ultimate problem.

The 2/3 was his strength. He knew how to coach that.

It was not necessarily the strength of NCAA bball or the strength of his players.

Literally, the game had passed him by.

Curry changed hoops. Boeheim is running an antiquated system. And he was basically mailing it in with the defensive lineups he put out there. For years it seemed they were stacked with long kids with great athleticism. And then reliant on iso offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom