Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My good buddy is a Syracuse grad, his former college roommate is very much tuned in to the program and he said that Jimmy B was “asked to step down”

Take that for what you will…

Reaction Score
From the Athletic article announcing his departure: "

What is Syracuse basketball without Boeheim?​

That might be the incorrect existential question. “What is Syracuse men’s hoops, period?” might be more on the nose. Put just about anyone under oath, and they’ll have to admit the school’s move to the ACC has undercut an identity Boeheim so painstakingly built starting in the 1970s. A football decision becomes the corrosive agent eating away at the hull. Which is too bad. It’s very easy to analyze how UConn corrected course, see the benefits for the Huskies on all fronts and conclude that maybe Syracuse should consider a similar template. It won’t. Which is also too bad..."
$$$$$$$

As though UConn wouldn't switch conferences...

Reaction Score
Cuse fans are what they are but Boeheim had a great career and he sails off into the sunset a success. Not Calhoun success but success nonetheless. Wish him well. Nothing lasts forever. I guess we would have to take a poll on the most obnoxious BE fans, but be sure that other schools have us on the top of their own lists.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Quick question:

Is there some scenario, here and now, this March, wherein Boeheim would still be employed?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I said that to my Syracuse grad friend, but I don't really mean it. That fan base has no respect for the UConn program, which is really just pure jealousy. It's the "we were here first" mentality. Boeheim became a caricature of a cranky old man that blames everyone for everything. I'm glad it ended poorly, and I hope Autry flames out. That being said, I remember hearing that Autry was a decent guy, so I hope he then goes on to success elsewhere so it's even worse for Syracuse.

My one problem is that I have a son looking at colleges. Not sure he can get into UConn (one of his top choices), but Syracuse should be no problem. I try to separate sports from academics (I'd have no problem hiring a qualified Syracuse grad), but it could be tough to write those checks.
“Dad! I got into Syracuse!”
“Congratulations son, you are dead to me now”

Reaction Score
Like the song said
“You have to know when to fold them “
Jim never learned that lessen .
It’s always sad to see a guy who was so successful fired but in this case it’s long overdue . I would have given him the option of resign or be fired 3-4 years ago . He had plenty of opportunity to leave with his reputation intact but his ego got in the way.
I suspect his replacement will have a short leash . If he can’t get results quickly he will be history.

Reaction Score
My good buddy is a Syracuse grad, his former college roommate is very much tuned in to the program and he said that Jimmy B was “asked to step down”

Take that for what you will…
That's exactly what it sounded like during his post-game pressor - didnt sound like it was his decision

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My favorite post over on the SUcks board. Any time you can reference a Lane Kiffin firing, you do it.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wonder by how much he lowered his win percentage by staying on the last 5 years

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
“The university hired me, and it’s their choice what they want to do,” Boeheim told reporters in a news conference Wednesday, after Syracuse’s second-round ACC tournament loss to Wake Forest. “I always have the choice of retirement, but it’s their decision as to whether I coach or not. It always has been...”

Reaction Score

Kind of a weird way to end it. Gives me some appreciation on the way Calhoun went out. Went out on his terms.
Actually, I'd have preferred JC retire in April and let the university conduct a national search befitting our blue blood status.

Reaction Score
Actually, I'd have preferred JC retire in April and let the university conduct a national search befitting our blue blood status.
I think our situation played out pretty well in hindsight, got one national championship out of it and are now on the upswing, I think any program would take our last 9 years or whatever if given the choice

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So, Boeheim gets canned and isn't really looking to coach again.

Please, please, please, pretty please let CBS or someone else bring him on for some interviews or analysis during NCAA tourney. He can go scorched earth with zero concern of it affecting his future.

If CBS is smart, they are doing just that.

Say what you will, he’s one of the most brilliant basketball minds out there - and unlike most coaches or analysts, he pays attention to the game in general.

If there’s a 3/14 matchup, he knows the three seed and he knows the 14 seed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Wasn't Shaka lined up?

Reaction Score

Say what you will, he’s one of the most brilliant basketball minds out there - and unlike most coaches or analysts, he pays attention to the game in general.

The problem is he's an unlikable curmudgeon, like late-career Billy Packer. Who wants to listen to that on a broadcast?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Creighton is a great team, but a big east with Creighton as a powerhouse is like going to see Journey with the filipino kid singing.
I dunno, I'm not a Journey fan and caught them last week. I thought he was great. And so did the crowd, they loved the guy.

Reaction Score
Boeheim, Louie, Thompson (and Rollie a year later) made The Big East the premier conference in college basketball. Many of us, as UConn fans, disparaged Boeheim and Thompson because of their less-than-engaging personalities, but these men deserve our praise.

Enjoy retirement, Jim.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

I'd love to have him analyze a 2/15 or 3/14 upset. Fre coaches have more experience losing those games.

Reaction Score
The problem is he's an unlikable curmudgeon, like late-career Billy Packer. Who wants to listen to that on a broadcast?
Should be in the studio probably. Just firing off hot takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom