Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Syracuse cans Jim Boeheim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But has he told former players not to contribute to the athletic department? That would be bad.
What former players?

How many Syracuse players have ever won an NBA title? Or even played in the finals?

How many--besides Carmelo and DC--ever played in the all-star game?

How many times did an NBA GM ever say, "Man, I need to get that Syracuse guy, he is the last missing piece for my championship roster."

When I think of Syracuse players in the NBA, I think of completely self-involved anti-winners like Dion Waiters.

To me, above all else, THAT is Boeheim's legacy. A forty year roster of talented but sour losers.

Reaction Score
Since Cuse left the BE to go the ACC Boeheim became one miserable SOB. Wish him a happier life in post coaching career.
To his credit, he never wanted to leave. And he let everyone know about it too. He was the last of the OBE coaching guard. Now we can finally say it's really over and done with.

Reaction Score
you know you're old when you remember JC being the new guy amongst the OBE coaching guard.
To his credit, he never wanted to leave. And he let everyone know about it too. He was the last of the OBE coaching guard. Now we can finally say it's really over and done with.
What? Over... Did you say OVER?! Nothing is over until WE decide it is!
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Like the song said
“You have to know when to fold them “
Jim never learned that lessen .
It’s always sad to see a guy who was so successful fired but in this case it’s long overdue . I would have given him the option of resign or be fired 3-4 years ago . He had plenty of opportunity to leave with his reputation intact but his ego got in the way.
I suspect his replacement will have a short leash . If he can’t get results quickly he will be history.
This is sort of cold. I said in the other thread that Boeheim and Syracuse are codependent. I hope they treat him well in retirement or his retirement last very long and I don't mean he'll get another job.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
This is sort of cold. I said in the other thread that Boeheim and Syracuse are codependent. I hope they treat him well in retirement or his retirement last very long and I don't mean he'll get another job.
What is the downside to retired coaches becoming refs?

On the sidelines all coaches know how a game should be called. They are quite vocal on the topic for the most part.

With their experience and understanding, it would seem a no brainer.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boeheim takes no pity on the Syracuse athletic department.

"You want me to leave? Pay me!"

Definitely doing what is best for Jim, and not what is best for Cause.

Ehhh…..he stayed for 50 years. There was 10,000 times that he could have used another school to leverage more money out of SU and he never did it.

Kevin Ollie before and after the divorce are completely different people. Calhoun couldn't have known. Frankly it worked quite well until that.

Blaming the divorce is a popular, yet entirely silly take around here.

First, what caused the divorce will blow your hair back, but also, he had stopped doing the job before the championship trophy even had UConn’s fingerprints on it.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

On the sidelines all coaches know how a game should be called. They are quite vocal on the topic for the most part.

In Boeheim's case, he's 78 years old. There's probably some inherent bias built up as well.

Reaction Score
Blaming the divorce is a popular, yet entirely silly take around here.

First, what caused the divorce will blow your hair back, but also, he had stopped doing the job before the championship trophy even had UConn’s fingerprints on it.
That's what is most amazing, disconcerting and inexplicable to me. People still claim he got fired b/c of losing when of course the reason the team lost is b/c the coach wasn't doing any part of his job diligently or well. And yet he was awarded a settlement & full contract for they years he didn't coach? I guess the $ pd for nothing in those years were better than the $ paid for passively destroying the program.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie before and after the divorce are completely different people. Calhoun couldn't have known. Frankly it worked quite well until that.
I think most people are sympathetic to how difficult a divorce can be. It still doesn’t give you a blank check to be unprofessional and not try at your job for years.

There may have been a capable basketball coach in there somewhere, but we really only saw that for the first two years. Recruiting was never great, player development was nonexistent, and in-game coaching was laughable.

Blaming all of that on the divorce is just an excuse.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think most of us were happy with the choice - up until the second year.
Third year.

First year was sanctions and post season ban. Players transferred but he got Bazz and Boat to stay.

Second was an NC!

Preseason third was divorce and he took it out on players.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Third year.

First year was sanctions and post season ban. Players transferred but he got Bazz and Boat to stay.

Second was an NC!

Preseason third was divorce and he took it out on players.
I've run into a handful of people over the past few years who knew KO before and after his promotion to HC (followed by the title, followed by the divorce, followed by the lack of any real effort in doing his job).

The common element was always that he went from a very humble, genuine person (the type of guy who would build a decade long NBA career from a series of ten day contracts through a succession of one year contracts) to a distant personality who behaved like a lot of things were beneath him. Whatever (possibly the title) it was that went to his head changed him. If he could have remained the person he was when he took over the program everything would have worked out for all involved.

As far as the 2014 title, I can't remember a coach having his finger on his team's pulse as well as Ollie had that tournament nor can I remember interaction with all team members at that positive a level. He deserves a ton of credit for that tournament run (anyone who has watched even a reasonable amount of college hoops should be able to realize that no title is ever a given, look at 1992 UNLV). Anyone who believes that the 2014 run wasn't worth having to face what we did the following five years has been far too entitled. I imagine that you can count on one hand the schools that wouldn't trade fifteen years of misery for one title.

Reaction Score
If ever there was a coach with an Ego problem - well it was on full display the other day. It was a bit disrespectful of the university that has employed and stood by him during some fairly questionable events during his tenure.

He also treated the press asking fair questions post game with disdain - dude they have a job to do, lose the smug face and the look like what they do is meaningless. Terrible look.

The Syracuse brand was degraded by Boheim’s behavior - congrats dude.

Reaction Score
Recruiting was never great, player development was nonexistent, and in-game coaching was laughable.
This is abject silliness.

You don’t go on one of the most improbable runs, with some of the most stifling defense we’ve ever seen, inheriting a bunch of sophomores, without some considerable degree of coaching and development. He was the reason Daniels came to the program. He kept Bazz and Boat from transferring. He dealt with sanctions JC, earned rightly or wrongly, left the program to deal with. He got Kromah as a transfer and he was critical to that run. Niels became one of the best glue guys we’ve ever had. He implemented the fabled free throw drill that helped us choke out team after team. He was running up and down the sidelines with our players on defense. The players loved him and ran through brick walls for him. Then after the NC he got a 5 star recruit two straight years, and a McDonald’s All-American as part of a top 10 recruiting class after that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You don’t go on one of the most improbable runs, with some of the most stifling defense we’ve ever seen, inheriting a bunch of sophomores, without some considerable degree of coaching and development. He was the reason Daniels came to the program. He kept Bazz and Boat from transferring. He dealt with sanctions JC, earned rightly or wrongly, left the program to deal with. He got Kromah as a transfer and he was critical to that run. Niels became one of the best glue guys we’ve ever had. He implemented the fabled free throw drill that helped us choke out team after team. He was running up and down the sidelines with our players on defense. The players loved him and ran through brick walls for him. Then after the NC he got a 5 star recruit two straight years, and a McDonald’s All-American after that.
These loons need to go ask Scottie Wilbekin and the Harrison twins whether Ollie was ever a good coach. This revisionist history is nonsense.

Reaction Score

Well, Boeheim is ancient, but on the whole, it's just a completely different way of thinking about the game. Totally different skillset. Knowing the rules and what roles each referee has is not enough. Coaches make terrible referees because they can't stop thinking big picture.

Reaction Score

You don’t go on one of the most improbable runs, with some of the most stifling defense we’ve ever seen, inheriting a bunch of sophomores, without some considerable degree of coaching and development. He was the reason Daniels came to the program. He kept Bazz and Boat from transferring. He dealt with sanctions JC, earned rightly or wrongly, left the program to deal with. He got Kromah as a transfer and he was critical to that run. Niels became one of the best glue guys we’ve ever had. He implemented the fabled free throw drill that helped us choke out team after team. He was running up and down the sidelines with our players on defense. The players loved him and ran through brick walls for him. Then after the NC he got a 5 star recruit two straight years, and a McDonald’s All-American as part of a top 10 recruiting class after that.
And what happened after that?

Like I said, there may have been a good coach in there. He deserves a ton of credit for the first two years - they didn’t win a NC by accident, and I actually don’t think he gets enough credit for keeping the group together the season they were banned.

But he showed no interest in recruiting after the NC, which I’d argue is important part of the job, and players simply stopped getting better under him on a year-to-year basis. The disinterest in coaching during games seemed to follow shortly after.

It’s really strange how many apologists this guy has after nearly running the UConn program into the ground.

Reaction Score
And what happened after that?

Like I said, there may have been a good coach in there. He deserves a ton of credit for the first two years - they didn’t win a NC by accident, and I actually don’t think he gets enough credit for keeping the group together the season they were banned.

But he showed no interest in recruiting after the NC, which I’d argue is important part of the job, and players simply stopped getting better under him on a year-to-year basis. The disinterest in coaching during games seemed to follow shortly after.

It’s really strange how many apologists this guy has after nearly running the UConn program into the ground.
Did you read my post? He got 5* Hamilton, then 5* Adams, then a top 10 class with a McDonalds All American. Don’t worry, I’m not at all an apologist for the guy at all. Just someone with better memory than you; I’ve done nothing but post facts. Or maybe you’re the biased one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom