OT: - Syracuse Basketball Delusion | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Syracuse Basketball Delusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They elect to forget that UConn carried the Big East banner in a huge way through the 90's and almost until the end. FFs, Elite 8s while the likes of the Orange and Hoyas were either not making it or getting beat by Vermont.

These guys always had selective memory. Never going to end hell they already forgot who won last year. Lol

Reaction Score
This is my favorite one. From PauliePeppas...

Stack up everything as programs and the similiarties are extremely close. We have more wins, final four appearances, one less national title appearance. The 4-1 is a mix of our terrible luck (Coleman free throws, Arinze, Fab, playing an all time team in UK in 96) and their miracle runs helped out by playing Butler and Ga tech. Facts are facts and it is 4-1 but spare me the whole bs notion that they are far superior. Luck goes a longgggg way, dont apologize for it but at least acknowledge it

Head to head Syracuse leads 55–38

Last edited: Today at 4:08 PM

PauliePeppas, Today at 3:34 PM

Guys it was all luck with our 4 titles. Poor Cuse...

It was luck they didn't face UConn in the 2003 FF. Paulie P is probably the worst and that's saying a lot. He's probably 5'2" 120 lbs. soaking wet guy's got a major inferiority complex. He's the poster boy for that Napolean fan base.

Reaction Score
It was luck they didn't face UConn in the 2003 FF. Paulie P is probably the worst and that's saying a lot. He's probably 5'2" 120 lbs. soaking wet guy's got a major inferiority complex. He's the poster boy for that Napolean fan base.

Lol ....drinks on me at Stout this December.

Reaction Score
"Miracle runs with GTech & Butler."

I like to look at it as 4 titles, that required knockout punches to both Duke & Kentucky twice along the way.

It was a miracle apparently that 2004 won it all!

The funny thing is that in both 2011 AND in 2014, there were multiple Cuse posters on their board telling the other posters that there was a strong chance UConn would win it all. After the Villanova game in 2014, you had 2 or 3 guys telling the others this.

Reaction Score
IMG_0874.JPG

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
At this point it's pushing 30 years. They have had some pretty good teams in the last 10 years but nothing special and they always flame out...the one year they had a miracle run to the FF recently they arguably shouldn't have been in the tournament and that was one of their lesser teams in recent memory that made a nice run.

Can you think of a memorable Cuse team, one that scared you as an opposing fan?

Since the early 90s, my biased opinion says we've been the more successful program. They're pretty consistently good, but they haven't had many teams since I've been watching that really scared me, were memorable.

I guess I'm just trying to (a) respond to the insane idea that we as fans would trade places with them as programs, and (b) bring a little different take, hopefully, on what is always said about us vs. Cuse.

I agree with many of the statements made often here about Cuse, I just didn't want to rehash them.

But this topic gets me going, the Cuse basketball story in the last 30 years is sort of strange to me despite their stellar national perception. It's part analysis and part biased dislike, but i think I could get into a long discussion with a Cuse fan (and have) and bring out about 50 points they don't have much defense for.

I think they're hoping they can keep getting by on their name recognition, but when does that run out?

Reaction Score
I dont honestly know how anyone could go to SU. When I went to visit there I literally had a homeless man ask me if I had any money to give him on the campus tour.

Reaction Score
When you do something special one time it's called luck. When you do something numerous times like say four it's called habit.

As a UConn fan, one of the most fun things about filling out a bracket is choosing which team is gonna torch the zone.

Reaction Score
This is my favorite so far from jdubs30:

I know some of them like to downplay our accomplishments (since 4>1), but in the last decade we are top 7 or in accomplishments nationally fairly easily. Since 2010 we have 15 tournament wins, 2 Final 4's and an Elite 8. In that same stretch they have 13 tournament wins - 2 championship runs account for 12 of those wins.

Gee, which would I rather have?

Reaction Score

I know some of them like to downplay our accomplishments (since 4>1), but in the last decade we are top 7 or in accomplishments nationally fairly easily. Since 2010 we have 15 tournament wins, 2 Final 4's and an Elite 8. In that same stretch they have 13 tournament wins - 2 championship runs account for 12 of those wins.

Only a Cuse fan could even think of being that stupid and writing that - that is beautiful! LOL

Reaction Score
"Miracle runs with GTech & Butler."

I like to look at it as 4 titles, that required knockout punches to both Duke & Kentucky twice along the way.

Yes, the same Butler that beat Syracuse in the West Region finals the year before.
The best part of the GA. Tech reference is that UConn and Syracuse we're going to meet in the Elite 8, but Syracuse lost to Alabama by 9. UConn went on to beat Alabama by 16.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Let's not forget that Syracuse had their NCAA wins from the 2010 and 2011 season vacated due to a decade of violations that miraculously were found to begin right after Carmelo's seven months on campus. Take those 4 wins away and UConn has 13 wins to Syracuse's 12. This is applicable to any discussion because the main reason for UConn's dip in NCAA wins was the retroactive APR violations which resulted in transfers and difficult recruiting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is my favorite one. From PauliePeppas...

Stack up everything as programs and the similiarties are extremely close. We have more wins, final four appearances, one less national title appearance. The 4-1 is a mix of our terrible luck (Coleman free throws, Arinze, Fab, playing an all time team in UK in 96) and their miracle runs helped out by playing Butler and Ga tech. Facts are facts and it is 4-1 but spare me the whole bs notion that they are far superior. Luck goes a longgggg way, dont apologize for it but at least acknowledge it

Head to head Syracuse leads 55–38

Last edited: Today at 4:08 PM

PauliePeppas, Today at 3:34 PM

Guys it was all luck with our 4 titles. Poor Cuse...

Don't talk to UConn fans about tough breaks or luck. For every Coleman free throw or othe Syracuse "bad break, UConn fans can talk about a dropped steal vs. Duke, Marshall's missed free throws vs. Florida, UCLA vs. Ray Allen, or George Mason. UConn could easily have had 4 more final 4s and maybe another championship or 2, but we don't dwell on those games because WINNING is what it is all about. Not excuses for not winning. 4>1.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Lol, this is great. Um, I guess we should won more games in 2011 and 2014 but there weren't any teams left to play.

i

'Who's got next? Anyone? Okay then, we'll just take this back to Storrs."

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Second is the first loser!

Reaction Score
Yes, the same Butler that beat Syracuse in the West Region finals the year before.
The best part of the GA. Tech reference is that UConn and Syracuse we're going to meet in the Elite 8, but Syracuse lost to Alabama by 9. UConn went on to beat Alabama by 16.

And could have/ should have been about 30.

Reaction Score
Let those in-breds throw out all the stats/numbers they want, but at the end of the day, 4>1 is the only number that matters. They can try to spin it (we got lucky a few times, etc) but every single one of them would give their left nut to have 4 titles instead of just 1. Would I rather be in the ACC right now? Sure. But that's the only thing keeping their program afloat right now.

As for the '04 team, we lost a few games towards the end of the season (including one at the dome) b/c Okafor had back problems IIRC. And the only reason the FF game against Duke was even close to begin with was b/c of the 2 BS foul calls on Okafor in the first 3 minutes of the game, so he sat the rest of the half.

Reaction Score
If Cuse can say with any luck they would have 3 or 4 titles UConn can say the same. 90, 95, 96, 2002, 2009 teams were capable of winning 6 in a row in the tourney. Could have been 8>1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom