Summer transfers | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We haven’t won a FBS football game since a miracle win over a 2-10 Tulsa team on homecoming October 21 2017.

There are absolutely zero signs to me that Randy and this staff are capable of doing anything to turn this around. Dead last recruiting in the AAC, zero inroads with any of the prep schools or major players in the northeast, ~10 scholarships under the limit (!!!!) going into summer camp, 0 commitments for 2020- the only one we had was a 0 star that jumped ship after 12 hours and is now posting edits of him in Tennessee-Martin gear which shouldn’t normally be a concern but this staff lost a recruit straight up to CHATTANOOGA last year so I’d say we have a pretty big battle on our hands.

Not only are we replacing starters or would be starters with Division II transfers, but the last two years we’ve lost an OC and 2 graduate transfers to in-conference opponents AFTER they’ve committed to us. We are incredibly inactive in the transfer portal besides Randy kicking out the guys he doesn’t personally like even if they can help him win football games and the graduate transfers we get are so bad that they can’t even beat out the guys on defense that give up FIFTY points per game to see the field.

I would like for any of these RE2.0 apologistas to provide me with 3 tangible reasons for optimism going into this season. Not “if he does this” or “In 2006 we won 7 games!” . Legitimate reasons for optimism. Some of you are vastly overstating how difficult it is to compete in this league, despite the fact that its decently competitive. Tulane and Willie Fritz shared the AAC West division title last year in Fritz’s third year. At TULANE! And not only that- they’ve taken in multiple FBS/P5 level transfers- including their current starting QB 4 games into last season! Anyone want to bet on UConn sharing the AAC East title this season in Randy’s third year? I’ll take no shot in hell -500000000000.

Reaction Score
Good JUCO players are better than D2 players? Isn’t that why bigtime programs bring in JUCO’s and not D2 transfers?

Maybe we have the magic D2 transfers. To me, believing that is sort of like believing that Diaco’s plan of recruiting a ton of wrestlers was some stroke of genius.

Sure I could be wrong and Seton Hill North may take off - but this roster is worse than last year’s as of today.

Outside of the UConn roster issue (which I’m not taking exception to the assessment) - There are good D2 players/programs and bad JUCO players/programs - people generally assume that because they played JUCO ball they will be a automatic impact players. Take a look @ some JUCO rosters ... they look no different that a D2 rosters.

Just like someone that grad transfers into the program from a P5 program - it doesn’t mean they can make a difference (hello Mr. Fines).

Reaction Score
We haven’t won a FBS football game since a miracle win over a 2-10 Tulsa team on homecoming October 21 2017.

There are absolutely zero signs to me that Randy and this staff are capable of doing anything to turn this around. Dead last recruiting in the AAC, zero inroads with any of the prep schools or major players in the northeast, ~10 scholarships under the limit (!!!!) going into summer camp, 0 commitments for 2020- the only one we had was a 0 star that jumped ship after 12 hours and is now posting edits of him in Tennessee-Martin gear which shouldn’t normally be a concern but this staff lost a recruit straight up to CHATTANOOGA last year so I’d say we have a pretty big battle on our hands.

Not only are we replacing starters or would be starters with Division II transfers, but the last two years we’ve lost an OC and 2 graduate transfers to in-conference opponents AFTER they’ve committed to us. We are incredibly inactive in the transfer portal besides Randy kicking out the guys he doesn’t personally like even if they can help him win football games and the graduate transfers we get are so bad that they can’t even beat out the guys on defense that give up FIFTY points per game to see the field.

I would like for any of these RE2.0 apologistas to provide me with 3 tangible reasons for optimism going into this season. Not “if he does this” or “In 2006 we won 7 games!” . Legitimate reasons for optimism. Some of you are vastly overstating how difficult it is to compete in this league, despite the fact that its decently competitive. Tulane and Willie Fritz shared the AAC West division title last year in Fritz’s third year. At TULANE! And not only that- they’ve taken in multiple FBS/P5 level transfers- including their current starting QB 4 games into last season! Anyone want to bet on UConn sharing the AAC East title this season in Randy’s third year? I’ll take no shot in hell -500000000000.
Why don't you wait until at least the Wagner game or maybe the Illinois game to see how the team does. I think there is a chance we can win six games.

Reaction Score
Why don't you wait until at least the Wagner game or maybe the Illinois game to see how the team does. I think there is a chance we can win six games.
What 6 teams do you realistically think we are good enough to beat come summer's end?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You obviously have an undeniable bias against RE1, RE2, RE everything - that's fine - just don't keep writing things that exclude the good just to make your point
What good from RE2 is he excluding?

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

I'll bite:

1. I have seen the returning players with my own eyes- they are physically much further advanced than a year ago. Advanced in their body composition, added weight and muscle. They actually look like a football team.

2. The players themselves telling me that Spanos and the D are markedly better than last year and are more confident knowing they will be in the right spots and when they are in the right spots they are physically stronger and quicker to make a play.

3. There is a better attitude around the team. You can feel the vibe from the new coaches to the players. It hasn't carried over to the fans- but a few wins will help that.

I ask anyone who is a fan to reach out and take a tour of the facilites and talk to some players when and if the opportunity arises. Talk to the coaches too. It will help you gain perspective.

I knew we were dead 90 seconds into a conversation with Diaco and I let the administration know that after 1 night of sleep. RE v2 is a long burn - he isn't and never was a quick fix and has been given the reigns to do that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Outside of the UConn roster issue (which I’m not taking exception to the assessment) - There are good D2 players/programs and bad JUCO players/programs - people generally assume that because they played JUCO ball they will be a automatic impact players. Take a look @ some JUCO rosters ... they look no different that a D2 rosters.

Just like someone that grad transfers into the program from a P5 program - it doesn’t mean they can make a difference (hello Mr. Fines).

Well obviously it’s about the players - but there are hundreds of JUCOs making impacts at FBS schools and almost no D2 transfers making an impact at FBS schools.

Don’t go all Pudge on us here.

Reaction Score
What 4 or 5 star recruit has verballed to UConn for 2020? Isn’t that part of the problem?

I guess your "irony" meter was set low or my "that comment will be funny to UConn fans" kind of bombed!

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Well obviously it’s about the players - but there are hundreds of JUCOs making impacts at FBS schools and almost no D2 transfers making an impact at FBS schools.

You see what youre failing to grasp is that stars and recruiting rankings dont matter. Kendall Reyes was from New Hampshire put on 90 pounds and became a NFL defensive tackle. We just need to have 60 of those types of guys on our roster and then we’ll be able to compete with UCF and Houston.

Reaction Score
I'll bite:

1. I have seen the returning players with my own eyes- they are physically much further advanced than a year ago. Advanced in their body composition, added weight and muscle. They actually look like a football team.

2. The players themselves telling me that Spanos and the D are markedly better than last year and are more confident knowing they will be in the right spots and when they are in the right spots they are physically stronger and quicker to make a play.

3. There is a better attitude around the team. You can feel the vibe from the new coaches to the players. It hasn't carried over to the fans- but a few wins will help that.

I ask anyone who is a fan to reach out and take a tour of the facilites and talk to some players when and if the opportunity arises. Talk to the coaches too. It will help you gain perspective.

I knew we were dead 90 seconds into a conversation with Diaco and I let the administration know that after 1 night of sleep. RE v2 is a long burn - he isn't and never was a quick fix and has been given the reigns to do that.
Or the defense feels better about itself because they spent the spring practicing against a markedly worse offense without Pindell.

We've seen posts like yours for a decade straight and nothing ever gets better. I look at the roster and I really struggle to see how we're any better this year. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it getting any better.

Reaction Score

There’s talent at all levels. Do you think P5 teams wouldn’t love to a have a Pierre Garcon or Ali Marpet on their teams? And those are D3 kids. Realistically outside of the top 15 maybe 20 juco kids most don’t make an impact

Reaction Score
I expected to lose Washington with the Beaudry addition and then we added to NC State QB to suggest more so things were changing. Dixon most likely wants to get to a place where he is thrown the ball more to showcase his skills. You can't blame him with one year to go. I expect we will have a more functional offense this year with the QB not having to run as much due to our o-line.

Hopefully!!

Reaction Score
That is a major part of the problem, along with a raft of tells that the RE2 experiment went bad early and continues to be off track. Had they stayed the course in year 1 on O and did what it took to keep the 2 most talented coaches and built on that SEC foundation, we would sitting in a lot better spot with recruiting connections, better coaching, higher levels of expectation of play, etc...instead we kept a fool with no real FBS experience or connections running a joke D for two years.

My proof point is Grimes. We forget our Oline was a perpetual disaster for years and getting worse year over year. It was nonfunctional in Red Pants’ last season. Grimes fixed that in one season from Swiss cheese to competent. The D went the other direction in a hurry, and actually pulled our O down with it. Betty Crocker is RE2’s fault. Loosing Lashlee was RE2’s ego. All that follows comes from terrible year 1 decisions.
Lashlee was in such high demand that he went to SMU. He was a good but not spectacular head coach

Reaction Score
Obviously he was an OC. Not head coach. Some people here act like he was Belechek. Not hardly. To my mind he didn’t know how to use tempo effectively for one thing. On at least a few occasions he let teams back in by going 3- out in about 10 seconds. Not helpful when your d is midiocre

Reaction Score
Or the defense feels better about itself because they spent the spring practicing against a markedly worse offense without Pindell.

We've seen posts like yours for a decade straight and nothing ever gets better. I look at the roster and I really struggle to see how we're any better this year. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it getting any better.
Only reason for optimism is i think the oline has kept improving post Grimes. Hard for a defense to be worse than worst and this DC change can only help. I think the Dline showed improvement. The LB play was beyond hopeless most of the time so it made EVERYTHING breakdown. I'm hoping year 2 of Kevon Jones, the additons of Harris and Morgan and some improvement from other guys gets that position group to the adequate level.

What this team sorely lacks are explosive playmakers on both sides of the ball. Dixon could have been one of those guys. Maybe the S&C program helps. I think 6 wins is a lot less likely than 0 wins. Hopefully after the Wagner game that possibility has been eliminated.

Reaction Score
Exit 4 + Drew

I have been watching expansion formation of Professional franchises since the early 1970s. The Miami Dolphins & Atlanta Falcons. Yes I am Randy Edsall’s age. I can pull out ridiculous names and stories of early years of now name Brand pro teams. The 1990s were an age that College Football forced our University and others (USF & UCF & others) to fully upgrade to compete at the highest level. It was a choice; but, not one with a solid alternative: do nothing was a deep hole.

Randy Edsall did a brilliant job raising this University from – really – desperate mediocre D2 to competing at a level a few steps beyond. No! We did not go against the MAC from the start (like UCF); we went against storied longterm programs (some in Prime days – Virginia Tech) and took it. It’s not just the Win Loss record in this category; it’s all the pieces and details that come with fully forming a Program at the college level; a full franchise at the Pro level. Frankly ... there are many components where we can say that UConn Football - in spite of its Yankee Conference past - is in its infancy. Fan base for one.

There are things to focus on today:

1. Randy Edsall is an excellent manager of the full 105 man football roster. You simply cannot Win at the level we are at without strong depth and evaluation all down your scholarship and walk-on roster. Simple things have always been important to RE. There’s zero chance - in my opinion – Edsall plays Jonny McEntee to start a September game or even a Chandler Whitmer. While I do pick QB knowing the Edsall years aren’t notable for QB position (excepting Orlovsky), there was thought and depth in that; not the wing-it approach of PP & BD. LB’s? Edsall had two strings of great college LBs. None of this was there in the first 3 years. Took time to mold both your assistants and your 5 years of players moving up & down. YES … there were kids that left because of fit. Some of us still shake our heads at the Tampa incident of beer. But I think whether you weigh the current situation versus Diaco or Pasqualoni, there’s a detailed evaluation planning that Edsall just is superior at.

2. Assistant Coaches. How does a guy find and groom younger coaches who become Joe Moorhead or Todd Orlando or Rob Ambrose or Greg Gattuso or something that comes together as a cohesive team of functioning leadership? Crocker sure. But Edsall had Crocker’s in his 1999-2003 period; Edsall had Lashlee & Dunn events before. Edsall can pull together solid talented affordable assistants. He is far beyond PP & BD; I believe he is far beyond Schiano was in that same time period. You have to trust this happens as it was something he excelled at prior.

3. Development. It is easy to be dismissive based on your Offers on kids going to Michigan or BC from Connecticut. As the folks who have watched this game over decades can tell you, there is success just as measurable for the many kids that had limited offers that came through UConn years as the kids from New England etc that passed on us & went bigtime. The “ones” who got away … often never reached Starter status or graduated or got beyond a few highlights. The stories of Edsall 2003-2009 are full of rising level of development.

Net? Come back and debate in 5 years. That is the ONLY good answer on the “recruiting” hot air. Did you do well by the kids who came through; did the kids you missed amount to anything. Social Media or whatever … there’s an element we don’t know and can’t comprehend. Development over 5+ years is an amazing test.

Sure … we sucked. Barely .500 Program in a mid-level Big East. That is hugely dismissive given the immense challenge of our rising. It is a UCONN fanbase trait that I hate. Even though we have been enormously successful across many many sports, the Boneyard is full of Negative Nancys. The reality is the 40 year rise in UConn athletics (including Baseball this week) is amazing for any fan or stakeholder.

Simple. There was not a good alternative to Bob Diaco (given the weight of his $$ liability) in December 2016. Tough for you that we had to totally repair the Program’s foundation – again.

I do wonder on Edsall’s energy and focus to do the job again at an advanced age.

Reaction Score
I'll bite:

The OC and DC have not coached a single game at UConn at their current positions. HCRE2.0 sees nothing wrong with his performance to date. What exactly are these 3 coaches going to tell me to gain perspective of where we are at?
Start Year 3 with cumulative record of 4-20 (2-0 against FCS, 2-14 in league, 0-6 against FBS non league). UConn is Rutgers of the AAC.

Maybe:

For some reason THIS strength and conditioning coach is going to turn all these guys into Alabama-esc clones; the last in AAC 2017, 2018, 2019 recruiting classes are going to lead UConn back to the glory days of the BE where during HCRE1.0's 7 year performance they won less than half their league games, maybe they will win a FBS game in 2019, or how well their recruiting plan for 2020 is going, or the oft injured D2 QB is the real deal and will MANAGE the 2019 UConn offensive scheme?

How about:

Why did so many guys leave this year, was Jamar Summers wrong to think HCRE2.0 threw him and his senior buddies under the bus to try and shove the ill conceived Crocker defense down their throats in 2017 (and if he wasn't wrong why did HCRE2.0 do it), when will it be important to win (per HCRE2.0 the 2018 year it wasn't), when will HCRE2.0 win his 1st out of league FBS game, what is he doing to catch up with the Tulane's and Tulsa's and even ECU's of the league never mind the UCF's and Houston's.

Ok long burn, give me the MINIMUM wins necessary by year to confirm each year that the team is continuing on this BURN PATH to success and at what point (wins and when) will you be ready to deem it a success:

2017 3 wins
2018 1 win
2019 ?
2020 ?
2021 ?

Do I need to list more years to give HCRE2.0 enough time for his kindling to really start burning? 4 wins and counting.

Reaction Score
recruiting JUCO players requires a willing admissions partner - while we have no evidence the roster is better or worse, we have clear evidence that UConn's admissions dept acts in a manner equivalent to that of the CT Ethics Office with an eye towards forcing the program back to the Yankee Conference

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I do wonder on Edsall’s energy and focus to do the job again at an advanced age.

Damn it, why did I read this? Nothing new here except your last sentence.

Moreover, I'm not really sure what this was directed at me Mr. Strong in New England guy. Edsall gets the best players he can...thats it. Nothing else magical or romantic about it. You seem to ignore the fact that he offers literally 100 players a cycle that are highly ranked without success and then goes to plan B. And if we were strong in New England we would have picked up one of the numerous top QBs in this market.

I'm an Edsall guy -but there must be an inflection point this year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would like for any of these RE2.0 apologistas to provide me with 3 tangible reasons for optimism going into this season.
I'll bite:

I am not an RE2.0 apologist and probably agree with @Drew more than not but I tried to think of reasons for optimism. Adding to what @hardcorehusky stated, I think the offensive line being a year older and stronger and with 3 decent backs (Mensah, Thompkins and Scott), I see the offense running the ball and managing clock. I know it is boring, but if the defense can just get a few stops this year and the offense can control the clock and drive the ball down the field, I can possibly see the team pulling out a few wins this season. Of course, my gut is that the team will be equally bad, but if I was going to be optimistic, that is where I would go.

As I said earlier, either way, I don't think RE is going anywhere. If he is let go, who are we bringing in that is going to turn the team around in 2-3 years? Unless the administration greatly opens up their checkbook and brings in someone proven, they are sticking with RE because he has shown he can build a program from the dust to mediocrity and at this point, we would be happy to get back to mediocrity.

Reaction Score
Only reason for optimism is i think the oline has kept improving post Grimes. Hard for a defense to be worse than worst and this DC change can only help. I think the Dline showed improvement. The LB play was beyond hopeless most of the time so it made EVERYTHING breakdown. I'm hoping year 2 of Kevon Jones, the additons of Harris and Morgan and some improvement from other guys gets that position group to the adequate level.

What this team sorely lacks are explosive playmakers on both sides of the ball. Dixon could have been one of those guys. Maybe the S&C program helps. I think 6 wins is a lot less likely than 0 wins. Hopefully after the Wagner game that possibility has been eliminated.
I agree with all of that, but offenses took their foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter in some games last year. So I think it’s entirely possible that the defense improves but the result looks the same.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom