Summer transfers | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not that I’m not loving #delusionszn

Spoiler alert: When you show up with the intent to run the ball - and you don’t have a QB that gives the defense a reason to not stack the box.. you can’t run the ball.

There are a few teams so bad on the schedule they might win 3 - but it’s going to be a weekly root canal where Edsall jams the ball into the line and leaves his QB with 3rd and long and zero weapons. The goal will be to run the clock out starting in the first quarter.

It’s literally the opposite of what works in modern college football.

UConn trying to recruit is like the sales recruiter that Yellow Book sends to college job fairs. When your first commit is modeling UT Martin gear online 48 hours after he verbals to you.... that’s an issue.

That our moran of an athletic director thinks this is a solution is mind-boggling. Coaches leave on the first train out of town because the stink of this program is a career killer. That’s how you end up with a quality control coach as your DC.

On the brightside they have a low scholarship NEC team at home, a putrid UMass team and the debacle that is East Carolina on the schedule... so they might win three... some lunatics can declare progress and Edsall can salt away another 3 million while the dirt keeps getting shoveled on the program.

And now when you want to attack me because you don’t like what I say - make sure to think about my track record vs yours.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Not that I’m not loving #delusionszn

Spoiler alert: When you show up with the intent to run the ball - and you don’t have a QB that gives the defense a reason to not stack the box.. you can’t run the ball.

There are a few teams so bad on the schedule they might win 3 - but it’s going to be a weekly root canal where Edsall jams the ball into the line and leaves his QB with 3rd and long and zero weapons. The goal will be to run the clock out starting in the first quarter.

It’s literally the opposite of what works in modern college football.

UConn trying to recruit is like the sales recruiter that Yellow Book sends to college job fairs. When your first commit is modeling UT Martin gear online 48 hours after he verbals to you.... that’s an issue.

That our moran of an athletic director thinks this is a solution is mind-boggling. Coaches leave on the first train out of town because the stink of this program is a career killer. That’s how you end up with a quality control coach as your DC.

On the brightside they have a low scholarship NEC team at home, a putrid UMass team and the debacle that is East Carolina on the schedule... so they might win three... some lunatics can declare progress and Edsall can salt away another 3 million while the dirt keeps getting shoveled on the program.

And now when you want to attack me because you don’t like what I say - make sure to think about my track record vs yours.
That was a more positive post than I expected this evening. I’m marking you down as a “maybe” on Edsall 3.0. That’s what I call the new Spanos/Guifre era.

Reaction Score
I think someone should go to the basketball board and say Dame Lillard went to Weber State so recruiting doesn’t matter.
Or even Steph Curry went to Davidson so recruiting doesn't matter

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That was a more positive post than I expect this evening. I’m marking you down as a “maybe” on Edsall 3.0. That’s what I call the new Spanos/Guifre era.

Did you like Temple 21 UConn 0 with a shellshocked Donovin Williams at QB?

Do I have a team for you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That was a more positive post than I expected this evening. I’m marking you down as a “maybe” on Edsall 3.0. That’s what I call the new Spanos/Guifre era.

I’ve only missed one home game since 1998 - I’m thinking about skipping Wagner for a swing through the Carolinas.
Georgia Tech @ Clemson Thursday, Utah State @ Wake Friday, and East Carolina @ State Saturday.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Did you like Temple 21 UConn 0 with a shellshocked Donovin Williams at QB?

Do I have a team for you.

Donovin will score a TD in this year’s game. Senior year for him. He’s been hitting the weight room hard. My absurd call for the Temple game is UConn 14 - Temple 10. Lots of big punts and miss field goals. Two dozen NFL scouts in attendance to watch the special teams.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Donovin will score a TD in this year’s game. Senior year for him. He’s been hitting the weight room hard. My absurd call for the Temple game is UConn 14 - Temple 10. Lots of big punts and miss field goals. Two dozen NFL scouts in attendance to watch the special teams.

He might be the best QB on the roster.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I’ve only missed one home game since 1998 - I’m thinking about skipping Wagner for a swing through the Carolinas.
Georgia Tech @ Clemson Thursday, Utah State @ Wake Friday, and East Carolina @ State Saturday.
Wow, You sir have earned the State of Connecticut’s Medal of Honor Equivalency Award for your for almost perfect attendance. I think this means you get to DJ the stadium music at homecoming and design your very own offensive play.

You also must be separated from the misses to have the flexibility to hit three football games over one weekend.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow, You sir have earned the State of Connecticut’s Medal of Honor Equivalency Award for your for almost perfect attendance. I think this means you get to DJ the stadium music at homecoming and design your very own offensive play.

You also must be separated from the misses to have the flexibility to hit three football games over one weekend.

Nah very married. She went on a girl’s trip to West Palm this winter so I’ve got a marker to call.

She’d be more than happy to hit the games but our daughter hates going. Starts asking to leave halfway through the second quarter.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Or the defense feels better about itself because they spent the spring practicing against a markedly worse offense without Pindell.

We've seen posts like yours for a decade straight and nothing ever gets better. I look at the roster and I really struggle to see how we're any better this year. I'd be thrilled to be proven wrong, but I just don't see it getting any better.

Saying nothing gets better is easy to say after the past few years. I've seen the players up and close and they like each other which does mean something. Now are they going to win 10 games, no I don't think so. But I can see 4 or 5 wins if they can get someone to quarterback well this season.

C

Chief00

yeah... like a $175K salary increase offer for Grimes for the same job. ($250k to $425k).
That’s part of the problem - we need to open up the coaching salary wallets. But if you thought Grimes and Lashlee enjoyed being the fall guys for Randy’s poor Crocker hire, you are not keeping it real. If the offense was 3 and out or scored a quick TD - it was Lashlee’s fault in Randy’s World, because he let our defense back on the field too quickly. On the other hand, not until we were the worst defense in college football history the following season did Randy make Crocker accountable and at that point - it was not optional.
Just like with players the thing that was important to Randy seemed to be who’s hire or recruit it was - not the actual performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
dunno. do some of you ever get tired of supporting the people who have made the program a national embarrassment?

I get that you don't like the direction of the program; none of us do. Why you have to say it 85798243578 times is the question. You'd have to go back several pages to find content relative to the title. But you can click on nearly any thread and find you guys spouting the same thing, over and over and over again.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I get that you don't like the direction of the program; none of us do. Why you have to say it 85798243578 times is the question. You'd have to go back several pages to find content relative to the title. But you can click on nearly any thread and find you guys spouting the same thing, over and over and over again.

so block us if reading an opinion you don’t agree with bothers you so much.

i’d prefer they stop being an embarrassment so I can stop reminding people of that fact when we are in #delusionszn

Reaction Score
While this is true, I have found Whaler is often more right than wrong. I can't live life with my glass half-empty like he does, but his opinions have served as a reality check for my previously blind optimism. I am still hopeful, and want to see the product on the field first before passing judgement, but he has appropriately tempered my expectations. I hope, for the long-term health of the athletic department, my expectations for the next few years are exceeded.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My nature tends towards optimism but I appreciate data. It’s not emotional. The last 10 years have been OVERWHELMINGLY in agreement with Whaler. Serrano too. Hate the guy all you want, call him a negative jerk... but guess what? Take out the emotion and that’s hard reality.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Maybe we could ask temery to add to the post message box a flag for our mood. My flag is foolishly optimistic for a 3 win season with narrower losses....and most people turn the corner on Edsall 3.0 come November.

Reaction Score
While this is true, I have found Whaler is often more right than wrong. I can't live life with my glass half-empty like he does, but his opinions have served as a reality check for my previously blind optimism. I am still hopeful, and want to see the product on the field first before passing judgement, but he has appropriately tempered my expectations. I hope, for the long-term health of the athletic department, my expectations for the next few years are exceeded.

so block us if reading an opinion you don’t agree with bothers you so much.

i’d prefer they stop being an embarrassment so I can stop reminding people of that fact when we are in #delusionszn

Last time - slowly - no one disagrees with you or the point you are making. I never said I disagree. I understand that this board has never allowed fact checking and reading comprehension to distract from a diatribe. What was said, was - you made your point, repeatedly, can we please move on. I don't live here like you and others do. It's frustrating for those of us who log on to see what is new or what has changed and all we see is the same blathering bull$hit - IMHO, it gets frustrating and old. I respect the views of all; I don't feel the need for an hourly refresh on the same views.

Reaction Score
Starters or potential starters leaving and the coaching staff combing through the bottom of the barrel for gems in the rough ... not a good look. But winning would solve everything. Too late now to do anything more than just go to the games and see what happens.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Last time - slowly - no one disagrees with you or the point you are making. I never said I disagree. I understand that this board has never allowed fact checking and reading comprehension to distract from a diatribe. What was said, was - you made your point, repeatedly, can we please move on. I don't live here like you and others do. It's frustrating for those of us who log on to see what is new or what has changed and all we see is the same blathering bull$hit - IMHO, it gets frustrating and old. I respect the views of all; I don't feel the need for an hourly refresh on the same views.

i gave you the solution - if you don’t want to use it then stop complaining

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We do not have enough FBS talent. Fire him, don’t fire him, what does it matter? Recruiting is in a death spiral... who is out there that we can afford and can pull us out of this? It’s almost like they want Edsall to fail so they can justify shutting it down.

What gave you the idea that they want Edsall to fail?!?

(...was it that moment when he was going to give 6 figures of his own salary to an assistant coach to try to keep him?) :(

Reaction Score
My nature tends towards optimism but I appreciate data. It’s not emotional. The last 10 years have been OVERWHELMINGLY in agreement with Whaler. Serrano too. Hate the guy all you want, call him a negative jerk... but guess what? Take out the emotion and that’s hard reality.
It just seems like 10 years. UConn was competitive in 2011 and 2012. In 2013, the team was a mixed bag, but came together to win 3 in a row to end the season.

The PP/Diaco recruiting is what brought us to where we are today.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, I don't disagree with much of anything you said Whaler but this statement made me laugh. You are always bitching about something. You go on a victory tour when you are right and when you are wrong no one gives a crap because we are celebrating what went right. You've got your own version of Chief scam going on, only sometimes I think you actually believe your own shtick. Doesn't matter to me because you are an interesting poster, much like Chief.

That aside, Randy is like an EMT at the scene of a bad, bad accident. People are screaming that the guy might not ever walk again, that his arm is bent funny or that the recovery will be tough and he might not make it all the way back. Hell he might not make it at all. All that may well be true, but that's not the the EMTs job. His job is to stop the bleeding. That's it. He's not going to fix every problem right there on the side of the road.

That's where we are. UConn football is a car wreck and Randy's here to stop the bleeding. That's what we ought to be focusing on. The bleeding from our open artery that was our defense has slowed down. The pulse of former nonexistent offense was reestablished. It's thready and thin but it's back. I don't expect Randy to fix it all in the near term. I just want it stable. I see signs of that. Make a change now and we're dead. Stay the course and at least we have a chance.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The key to the season will be QB play and none of us know how that will shake out.

And from what I am hearing, Beaudry and Leon are already proving themselves to be up the challenge. We wont really know until Wagner, but the very early results this week are good. We have guys that can throw and want to improve and want to lead.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom