Summer transfers | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It just seems like 10 years. UConn was competitive in 2011 and 2012. In 2013, the team was a mixed bag, but came together to win 3 in a row to end the season.

The PP/Diaco recruiting is what brought us to where we are today.
I think at this point it's fair to say that it was just Diaco's recruiting.

CL82

Reaction Score
Give P a pass on his recruiting if you must, but he did plenty of damage coaching.
... or lack thereof. But if Randy was taking over the program after the idiot twins the recovery wouldn't be as painful. (And obviously, there aren't any PP kids on the team anymore.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol, I don't disagree with much of anything you said Whaler but this statement made me laugh. You are always bitching about something. You go on a victory tour when you are right and when you are wrong no one gives a crap because we are celebrating what went right. You've got your own version of Chief scam going on, only sometimes I think you actually believe your own shtick. Doesn't matter to me because you are an interesting poster, much like Chief.

That aside, Randy is like an EMT at the scene of a bad, bad accident. People are screaming that the guy might not ever walk again, that his arm is bent funny or that the recovery will be tough and he might not make it all the way back. Hell he might not make it at all. All that may well be true, but that's not the the EMTs job. His job is to stop the bleeding. That's it. He's not going to fix every problem right there on the side of the road.

That's where we are. UConn football is a car wreck and Randy's here to stop the bleeding. That's what we ought to be focusing on. The bleeding from our open artery that was our defense has slowed down. The pulse of former nonexistent offense was reestablished. It's thready and thin but it's back. I don't expect Randy to fix it all in the near term. I just want it stable. I see signs of that. Make a change now and we're dead. Stay the course and at least we have a chance.
This has to be one of the best posts I have ever read on the Boneyard.

Thank you CL82

Reaction Score
And from what I am hearing, Beaudry and Leon are already proving themselves to be up the challenge. We wont really know until Wagner, but the very early results this week are good. We have guys that can throw and want to improve and want to lead.
(Closing eyes, crossing fingers) Please be right, please be right, please be right...

C

Chief00

The bottom line is Randy needs to bring in talent and that’s a lot harder for him than it should be. He’s doing some things wrong. Without at least average talent, culture, work, execution narratives etc won’t mean much.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is Randy needs to bring in talent and that’s a lot harder for him than it should be. He’s doing some things wrong. Without at least average talent, culture, work, execution narratives etc won’t mean much.
Is it Randy or something else???? We were marginal with PP and Disco when it came to recruiting, at best... Randy has showed way more than those 2 how to work with less...
Where's the real disconnect with recruiting? I feel like we have better guys now in place to run the show above Edsall behind the scenes (AD), but who (above them) is holding us back???? Inquiring minds would like to know...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol, I don't disagree with much of anything you said Whaler but this statement made me laugh. You are always bitching about something. You go on a victory tour when you are right and when you are wrong no one gives a crap because we are celebrating what went right. You've got your own version of Chief scam going on, only sometimes I think you actually believe your own shtick. Doesn't matter to me because you are an interesting poster, much like Chief.

That aside, Randy is like an EMT at the scene of a bad, bad accident. People are screaming that the guy might not ever walk again, that his arm is bent funny or that the recovery will be tough and he might not make it all the way back. Hell he might not make it at all. All that may well be true, but that's not the the EMTs job. His job is to stop the bleeding. That's it. He's not going to fix every problem right there on the side of the road.

That's where we are. UConn football is a car wreck and Randy's here to stop the bleeding. That's what we ought to be focusing on. The bleeding from our open artery that was our defense has slowed down. The pulse of former nonexistent offense was reestablished. It's thready and thin but it's back. I don't expect Randy to fix it all in the near term. I just want it stable. I see signs of that. Make a change now and we're dead. Stay the course and at least we have a chance.

I block posters who I find tedious. It’s a simple elegant solution.

As for the rest they have gotten worse over the last two seasons so he’s failed even as an ‘EMT’ which is a categorically stupid way to look at his job.

The offense was a single player who isn’t here any longer. They have some good offensive lineman and a couple of mediocre backs. They have nothing at WR/QB/TE.

I haven’t said to fire him - it’s just another epically disasterous coaching hire. If a handful of people need another 24 months to realize that - look forward to y’all catching up.

I look forward to camp kicking off with 78 players or something ridiculous like that.

Again, if you don’t like my opinion skip my posts. When I see nonsense I call it out.

CL82

Reaction Score
I block posters who I find tedious. It’s a simple elegant solution.

As for the rest they have gotten worse over the last two seasons so he’s failed even as an ‘EMT’ which is a categorically stupid way to look at his job.

The offense was a single player who isn’t here any longer. They have some good offensive lineman and a couple of mediocre backs. They have nothing at WR/QB/TE.

I haven’t said to fire him - it’s just another epically disasterous coaching hire. If a handful of people need another 24 months to realize that - look forward to y’all catching up.

I look forward to camp kicking off with 78 players or something ridiculous like that.

Again, if you don’t like my opinion skip my posts. When I see nonsense I call it out.
Meh, you'd have to be utterly vapid for me to block you. You aren't. But here's the thing, if you post on a message board, you'd got to expect commentary. Like you "when I see nonsense, I call it out." Perhaps not every time, and perhaps not in so strident a voice, but occasionally I'll point out hypocrisy or self aggrandizement when it gets distracting or overbearing.

Well maybe we can wait for some reports out camp before we write off the whole offensive unit? I've got my concerns but a lot of people had their doubts about Pindell. Heck you were pretty critical of him before you dubbed him "the entire offense:"
The guy who brought in Pindell and made him the starter? I’m going to believe we have a quarterback when I see someone who can play quarterback.
The defense is so bad it’s made everyone forget they need someone to step up at Quarterback. 2017 Pindell is not going to get it done.
Sure thing buddy. Pindell stunk last year.

The point is that you don't know how the offense is going to do this season and neither do I. It's easy to say that kids "stink" but until they actually get out on the field, it's as pointless as dubbing them the next Orlovsky.

Back to the EMT analogy, Randy may not have saved the patient but there is still a heartbeat and the prognosis, though not great, is better than when Red Pants was in charge.

Reaction Score

We should get Bunkey to help recruit then we’ll be bringing in 4 and 5 stars in no time

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Whaler11 - how do you know we have nothing at QB/WR/TE? Have you watched practice to make this determination? I know we have few returning players, but we did bring in new guys. They can't all be talentless......

Reaction Score
If UConn goes 0-12 both Edsal and AD David Benedict will be gone.
After can't leave soon enough lame duckling Susie's delayed departure (purportedly 7/31/19), it's reasonable to think A.D. D.B.'s backside may be en fuego. However, any prospective future coaching change may first depend on new president Katsouleas and the BoT potentially hiring a new AD. Within the next year+, neither scenario is guaranteed.

Regardless of 2019 football results, university and athletic department finances may minimally ensure HCRE 2.0 at least one additional season post-2019. TBD, time will tell ...

Reaction Score
Meh, you'd have to be utterly vapid for me to block you. You aren't. But here's the thing, if you post on a message board, you'd got to expect commentary. Like you "when I see nonsense, I call it out." Perhaps not every time, and perhaps not in so strident a voice, but occasionally I'll point out hypocrisy or self aggrandizement when it gets distracting or overbearing.

Well maybe we can wait for some reports out camp before we write off the whole offensive unit? I've got my concerns but a lot of people had their doubts about Pindell. Heck you were pretty critical of him before you dubbed him "the entire offense:"

The point is that you don't know how the offense is going to do this season and neither do I. It's easy to say that kids "stink" but until they actually get out on the field, it's as pointless as dubbing them the next Orlovsky.

Back to the EMT analogy, Randy may not have saved the patient but there is still a heartbeat and the prognosis, though not great, is better than when Red Pants was in charge.
Oh my god. What hope do you have? There is no heart beat

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

It's all about cost of the alternative. We could have kept Diaco, at somewhat obvious impact to the program. We could have hired another novice, at similar cost, but with more perceived risk. We could have broken the bank for someone else, but with obvious financial impact, and with unknown benefit, if any.

This is why some people hate your posts, in a nutshell (not me, at least not always). You offer no alternative, except more whining, and a forward-looking "I told you so"

If Edsall's that [sic] "disasterous," then offer a coach we should have hired, or could hire now, oh Carnac the Magnificent.

Reaction Score
Whaler11 - how do you know we have nothing at QB/WR/TE? Have you watched practice to make this determination? I know we have few returning players, but we did bring in new guys. They can't all be talentless.
I assume UConn’s futility over the past decade makes it easy for him to assume everyone coming in sucks until they prove otherwise
All of our coaches suck and can’t recruit so it makes sense that he would think this way.
Hopefully they prove him wrong

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's all about cost of the alternative. We could have kept Diaco, at somewhat obvious impact to the program. We could have hired another novice, at similar cost, but with more perceived risk. We could have broken the bank for someone else, but with obvious financial impact, and with unknown benefit, if any.

This is why some people hate your posts, in a nutshell (not me, at least not always). You offer no alternative, except more whining, and a forward-looking "I told you so"

If Edsall's that [sic] "disasterous," then offer a coach we should have hired, or could hire now, oh Carnac the Magnificent.

I’m not a college athletic director so I am not required to have a list of coaching candidates in my desk drawer if I need to hire someone. Don’t worry I have that list for when I need to hire someone in my professional life.

If you don’t think the program is worthy of having a better coach than Randy Edsall why are you even a fan? You essentially are stating it’s a garbage program that has no chance for success. You may as well blow up the rent and redirect the money to other sports where you can hope to compete.

The right path is to have an athletic director who is competent enough to have a list of viable candidates - especially when he has the worst head coach in the country.

LOL - I guess Benedict is just a victim here. Sure he could have fired the loser and actually looked for a coach, but he had no choice but to drag back a man coaching two decades in the past who needs 5 years to even provide a hint of a turnaround.

What a joke.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I’m not a college athletic director so I am not required to have a list of coaching candidates in my desk drawer if I need to hire someone. Don’t worry I have that list for when I need to hire someone in my professional life.

If you don’t think the program is worthy of having a better coach than Randy Edsall why are you even a fan? You essentially are stating it’s a garbage program that has no chance for success. You may as well blow up the rent and redirect the money to other sports where you can hope to compete.

The right path is to have an athletic director who is competent enough to have a list of viable candidates - especially when he has the worst head coach in the country.

LOL - I guess Benedict is just a victim here. Sure he could have fired the loser and actually looked for a coach, but he had no choice but to drag back a man coaching two decades in the past who needs 5 years to even provide a hint of a turnaround.

What a joke.

...because i can rationalize the decision. Fleeing for perceived safety with Edsall, after the twins and Diaco, and especially given the financial picture, isn't inexcusable. The results may not work out in AD David Benedict's favor, but that's the rub on a job like his - it's his head if it doesn't work.

You can slam the hiring all you would like, but you're already easily on record about the coach, AD, and President. I can assume your view on the BoT. Who's left? The Governor? The President? God? At some point, you drown yourself out.

...i might even ask why you're a fan?

C

Chief00

What a joke.

I agree, I haven’t met a business yet with that kind of patience, especially since there’s no empirical sign that the key metrics have an upward trajectory.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

What a joke.

Hey Mr. Super Genius,

Where's the goshdarn money coming from?

Thanks,

--The Brain-Dead Idiots Lucky Enough to Bask in your Glory

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hey Mr. Super Genius,

Where's the goshdarn money coming from?

Thanks,

--The Brain-Dead Idiots Lucky Enough to Bask in your Glory

LOL

1. You take it away from programs that don’t matter. You have an athletic director that isn’t afraid of making hard decisions. You clean out the useless jobs in the athletic department too. If you have to drop programs - you drop programs.

2. Wow you got Edsall cheap - when you don’t sell a single ticket for 5 years while he plays ‘EMT’ what did that cost you? Even the most diehard people here are saying they are done wasting money on this nonsense.

3. Someone hungry is willing to work for what they can pay. It ain’t gonna be PJ Fleck or Dave Clawson - but there are people who have been passed over who are willing to take a chance on what is life changing money.

The excuses you people invent for Benedict are embarrassing at times. Wow what a financial deal we got on Edsall... it only costs a million a year to have him run the worst program in the country.

Hell the guy at UT Martin can out recruit him and probably makes a third - let’s swap.

If you don’t think UConn can do better than Randy Edsall you should delete your account. You hate UConn more than the biggest Syracuse fan in the world.

Hopefully when they finally move on from Benedict they hire someone who actually does something. A third straight waste of space that does nothing but play his fiddle while Rome burns is going to be too much for even me.

Nick Nurse was coaching in England for years. Earn your goshdarn paycheck and find someone who can succeed. It’s not like we are talking about going 10 and frigging 2. Go 6-6 and they will build a statue.

It’s ok to have standards Stain. It’s ok to hold highly paid state employees to results.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
LOL

1. You take it away from programs that don’t matter. You have an athletic director that isn’t afraid of making hard decisions. You clean out the useless jobs in the athletic department too. If you have to drop programs - you drop programs.

2. Wow you got Edsall cheap - when you don’t sell a single ticket for 5 years while he plays ‘EMT’ what did that cost you? Even the most diehard people here are saying they are done wasting money on this nonsense.

3. Someone hungry is willing to work for what they can pay. It ain’t gonna be PJ Fleck or Dave Clawson - but there are people who have been passed over who willing to take a chance on what is life changing money.

The excuses you people invent for Benedict are embarrassing at times. Wow what a financial deal we got on Edsall... it only costs a million a year to have him run the worst program in the country.

Hell the guy at UT Martin can out recruit him and probably makes a third - let’s swap.

If you don’t think UConn can do better than Randy Edsall you should delete your account. You hate UConn more than the biggest Syracuse fan in the world.

I was pushing back on people praising Benedict months before you. Slow your roll.

The financial reality doesn't go a way with a personnel change, even a needed one. You could be sitting in the AD's chair and you'd have just as much difficulty.

Also, saying the guy at UT Martin "can out recruit" Edsall based on one picture posted on social media is stupid. Like, breathtakingly, mind-numbingly stupid. #TrackRecord

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom