Summer transfers | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was pushing back on people praising Benedict months before you. Slow your roll.

The financial reality doesn't go a way with a personnel change, even a needed one. You could be sitting in the AD's chair and you'd have just as much difficulty.

Also, saying the guy at UT Martin "can out recruit" Edsall based on one picture posted on social media is stupid. Like, breathtakingly, mind-numbingly stupid. #TrackRecord

Yeah it wasn’t tongue in cheek.

I have the guts to make decisions - because I actually care about the programs and I’m not here to parlay my time into a job elsewhere.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah it wasn’t tongue in cheek.

I have the guts to make decisions - because I actually care about the programs and I’m not here to parlay my time into a job elsewhere.

I'm shocked the collective stupidity of everyone around you hasn't turned you into a nihilist.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm shocked the collective stupidity of everyone around you hasn't turned you into a nihilist.

E5748DB1-F0EE-4AB6-9ECC-A969C47FCABB.jpeg

Reaction Score
And from what I am hearing, Beaudry and Leon are already proving themselves to be up the challenge. We wont really know until Wagner, but the very early results this week are good. We have guys that can throw and want to improve and want to lead.
THIS is what we need to hear.. Glass half full sounding stuff...

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Guys, Whaler lives for these moments. Yada-yada.

As for Edsall, I’ll delete my account if things don’t get better this year. No, I don’t think switching coaches makes sense at this junction. I want a full year three. I don’t want a hint of change unless we lose that 12th game by double digits again. The kids are still in camp Randy.

We don’t get kids that can play year one or year two. That won’t change much regardless of who is coaching. Edsall needs three to four years to bring his guys up to a competitive level.

So yeah- I’ll wait.

A year ago I was actually in a different state of mind, but I get it now. We have no shot at immediate impact kids - so we have to take the slow road- brick by brick. The bricks finally start getting laid down this fall.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Whaler11 - how do you know we have nothing at QB/WR/TE? Have you watched practice to make this determination? I know we have few returning players, but we did bring in new guys. They can't all be talentless.
You are joking, right? Our supposed #1 QB just left. We have no WRs to say of and Randy does not use TEs.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You are joking, right? Our supposed #1 QB just left. We have no WRs to say of and Randy does not use TEs.
Ask the kids if he was the number 1 qb. Lashlee’s boy is gone - just like his 2 second offense which shipped out a year earlier.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Ask the kids if he was the number 1 qb. Lashlee’s boy is gone - just like his 2 second offense which shipped out a year earlier.

What would you say the chances are the play at QB is better in 2019 than 2018?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What would you say the chances are the play at QB is better in 2019 than 2018?

Well a lot goes into that.

- Can Guifre and Moyseenko (sp) devise a competent passing game plan?
- Can the OL pass protect? Very spotty last year on the pass protection.

I think this passing game will be much better vs Pindell. I think we might see some elements of command of the game situation that are much better.

I’ll cut to the chance now, yes I expect the QB to be on the whole more effective.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well a lot goes into that.

- Can Guifre and Moyseenko (sp) devise a competent passing game plan?
- Can the OL pass protect? Very spotty last year on the pass protection.

I think this passing game will be much better vs Pindell. I think we might see some elements of command of the game situation that are much better.

I’ll cut to the chance now, yes I expect the QB to be on the whole more effective.

Which QB do you think ends up better in 19 than 18 Pindell?

Do you think the WRs and TEs are better than 2018?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And Whaler, I’m working up my list of excuses if the QB play is less effective.

Pindell sure did a ton by scrambling. Going to be interesting to see how the WR step up.

I expect Thompkins to make everyone look better including the coaches.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And Whaler, I’m working up my list of excuses if the QB play is less effective.

Pindell sure did a ton by scrambling. Going to be interesting to see how the WR step up.

I expect Thompkins to make everyone look better including the coaches.....

I think they can run the ball effectively I just don’t see who will keep the 8 guys out of the box.

Thompkins and Mensah seem like Bellamy and Lawrence - capable of running the ball behind a good line.

If there was one transfer worth saving it was Davis.

One QB off injury, one hasn’t played, one was buried behind Washington... strikes me as Pindell against Holy Cross. Maybe there is a good player in the bunch but it’s two Big Ten teams in the first three weeks and as bad as they are - UConn can’t even simulate their defenses in practice.

Let’s say they beat Wagner. The next six don’t exactly scream 2-5.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Which QB do you think ends up better in 19 than 18 Pindell?

Do you think the WRs and TEs are better than 2018?

TE advantage 2018 as of today. Staff still looking for a grad recruit which might even things up.

WR tie. Everyone that is gone from the WR unit was replaceable. Buss was probably the best and the staff couldn’t always get him the ball. McLean did some things. Hergy was okay. Beals was largely MIA.

So now it’s Herron to replace Hergy, Brown to replace Buss, one of Hairston, Jefferies or Donaldson need to step up and replace McLean. There is a wild chance Williams as the hybrid TE/WR wills the McLean vacuum.

Every year at every program kids have to step up and there are surprises.

True freshman Ross and Drayton could be big surprises. Ross looks like he has real upside while Drayton has the big shoulders to developer like Jeremy Davis.

And then there is Skanes and Burnett who have some wiggle for short passes.

I just don’t think we lost much that was special. The NFL draft certainly didn’t think we had special stuff.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
TE advantage 2018 as of today. Staff still looking for a grad recruit which might even things up.

WR tie. Everyone that is gone from the WR unit was replaceable. Buss was probably the best and the staff couldn’t always get him the ball. McLean did some things. Hergy was okay. Beals was largely MIA.

So now it’s Herron to replace Hergy, Brown to replace Buss, one of Hairston, Jefferies or Donaldson need to step up and replace McLean. There is a wild chance Williams as the hybrid TE/WR wills the McLean vacuum.

Every year at every program kids have to step up and there are surprises.

True freshman Ross and Drayton could be big surprises. Ross looks like he has real upside while Drayton has the big shoulders to developer like Jeremy Davis.

And then there is Skanes and Burnett who have some wiggle for short passes.

I just don’t think we lost much that was special. The NFL draft certainly didn’t think we had special stuff.

That’s kind of the scary thing.

They didn’t lose anything particularly good and Williams had one catch for 9 yards last season.

Beals was the biggest disappointment on the roster.

Everyone was underwhelming but the guys still here didn’t force their way onto the field.

The biggest problem with the tight ends is they don’t even have anyone who can block. Which can end up being a major issue.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If there was one transfer worth saving it was Davis.

Davis was probably the biggest loss in the transfer story. Again, he was an excellent receiver and so clutch on third down. However, what kid had more pre snap penalties around here in his time? And he was a turnstile as a blocker. Way too many whiffs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Davis was probably the biggest loss in the transfer story. Again, he was an excellent receiver and so clutch on third down. However, what kid had more pre snap penalties around here in his time? And he was a turnstile as a blocker. Way too many whiffs.

When every TE on your roster was recruited as a QB.........

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everyone was underwhelming but the guys still here didn’t force their way onto the field.

The biggest problem with the tight ends is they don’t even have anyone who can block. Which can end up being a major issue.

No one forced their way onto the field because we just don’t get too many guys that can play year one or year two. Development and maturity take time.

As for TE, yeah I have the same concerns about blocking. Then again Davis was terrible so.... If they don’t nab a JUCO/ grad TE that is a two way player then that is indeed a big fail by Edsall. Corey has been on the hunt to fill this slot for 10 months now!

Extreme back up plan, move Woods from DE to TE. Woods was a TE and OT in HS. He could block for sure and make a few catches.

Reaction Score
UConn returns the #2 receiver by catches from 2018, Scott, and the #2 receiver by catches in 2017, Skanes. I think Scott may switch to WR this year, or be a pass catching threat out of the backfield. Last year, Pindell had a hard time throwing so we don’t know how good the receivers were. He didn’t make a lot of mistakes, but his yards per attempt was among the lowest in college football. And, he took off too quickly. Remember, he struggled in Lashlee’s offense.

If we can find a serviceable QB who is a decent passer, I think UConn will be much better than last year as I expect the defense to make big strides.

Reaction Score
Rose was offered by Wisconsin and others as a tight end. I think he will be better than any of the TEs from the recent past.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom