Summer transfers | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

Reaction Score
And on the worst team in the country his highlights as a sophomore were:

Had a 17 yard catch against Memphis and made a tackle against SMU.

Other than that I’m sure he is way better than the other tight ends who played.
Rose was from Southington. By definition he is an All American. The Walter Camp people just didn’t know it.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Was Lashless a bad hire? I guess you could say so because he couldn't work with Randy, but other than that, I think it was the Lashlee hire that gave me some confidence that RE 2.0 could work. Randy's problem was that he couldn't figure out how to work with Lashlee. Not that he was hired.

Actually that's Randy's issue in general. He does things one way and he isnt flexible. His way may work....but it's painful to get there. Adaptability is not in his tool box.

Lashlee was just a bad hire as a fit for Randy and UConn. He's a good coach, just not a good fit for UConn.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Too competent?
Can’t get enough athletes to run a spread at UConn. Especially enough that can handle our upright academics.

I don’t know for sure, but I also suspect Randy and Lashlee didn’t find much common ground identifying recruits they both liked either. Where one wanted to take a risk the other didn’t and vice-versa. Plus, Randy prefers to grind the guys. Not sure that was really Lashlee’s thing, he prefers to be friends.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Outside of the UConn roster issue (which I’m not taking exception to the assessment) - There are good D2 players/programs and bad JUCO players/programs - people generally assume that because they played JUCO ball they will be a automatic impact players. Take a look @ some JUCO rosters ... they look no different that a D2 rosters.

Just like someone that grad transfers into the program from a P5 program - it doesn’t mean they can make a difference (hello Mr. Fines).
One difference is that for d2 players it is usually about a player not being able to play at d1 level while a number of juco players had d1 skills but couldn't academically.

Reaction Score
One difference is that for d2 players it is usually about a player not being able to play at d1 level while a number of juco players had d1 skills but couldn't academically.

I’ve know a number of talented DII kids over the years who hung close to home for a variety of reason - JUCO route is not for everyone (especially in the Northeast). Good coaching/development/growth can come at all levels. You don’t try and build a whole team w/ FCS/D2 transfers but grabbing potential plug and play kids that have talent shouldn’t be summarily dismissed because of nomenclature.

Reaction Score
I hear Keyion has been in contact with an in conference school and if he doesn’t go P5 he’ll end up at the conference school

C

Chief00

Can’t get enough athletes to run a spread at UConn. Especially enough that can handle our upright academics.

I don’t know for sure, but I also suspect Randy and Lashlee didn’t find much common ground identifying recruits they both liked either. Where one wanted to take a risk the other didn’t and vice-versa. Plus, Randy prefers to grind the guys. Not sure that was really Lashlee’s thing, he prefers to be friends.
Some good observations and yes Randy and Lashlee looked at things differently.

Reaction Score

You really think getting athletes to run the spread is too hard at UConn? It seems the entire MAC runs a variation of the spread. I just think you have to commit to it and not half ass it.

Reaction Score
You really think getting athletes to run the spread is too hard at UConn? It seems the entire MAC runs a variation of the spread. I just think you have to commit to it and not half ass it.
Agreed. Getting athletes isn’t the problem in the northeast. Polished football players? Sure, that’s more difficult.

We’ve been trained to think that we can’t run a spread because basically every head coach we’ve ever had believes in the archaic run, run, pass pro style offense. The spread has been working just fine at Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Getting athletes isn’t the problem in the northeast. Polished football players? Sure, that’s more difficult.

We’ve been trained to think that we can’t run a spread because basically every head coach we’ve ever had believes in the archaic run, run, pass pro style offense. The spread has been working just fine at Syracuse.
The "spread" is run in different ways. At Auburn, where Lashlee was the OC working for Gus Malzahn, they ran the zone read spread. It was a run focused offense. West Virginia, under Rich Rodriguez, was a spread that focused on the run. Oregon was more run focused. Then you have the Mike Leach pass focused spreads run at places like Washington St., Texas Tech, Houston. To use a run or pass oriented spread, you need a good QB and you will need a stable of RBs and/or WRs. In addition, if you want to win consistently with the spread, you need a solid defense as the defense could be on the field a lot.

Lashlee, when he came to UConn, wanted the spread to be more pass oriented. Unfortunately, UConn did not have the QB/RBs/WRs to run the spread effectively at the time. Pindell was not a good enough passer to run a pass oriented spread and Lashlee figured that out pretty quickly and replaced him with Shirreffs.

It took year 3 for Babers to have a good season, but he came to Syracuse as a successful offensive coach, so he was able to recruit good offensive players that fit his system. In my opinion, in today's college football, the head coach should be the offensive mind/coordinator as good offensive coordinators will be lured away quickly. Plus, I think it is easier to find defensive coaches than offensive coaches.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I mean, Lashlees biggest get was MW and we see how that worked out

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I mean, Lashlees biggest get was MW and we see how that worked out

I have been meaning to bring up that very point. I'm not sure he really was the lead on any other recruits in his brief time here. I'm sure he suggested many players to Edsall and i'm going to guess that Edsall didn't agree with the assessment. They probably weren't far apart about a kids athletic ability, just how to handle that kid once in the program and what is the right way to court the kid. I could see them disagreeing over which kids are the ones worth taking an academic risk on as well.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I have been meaning to bring up that very point. I'm not sure he really was the lead on any other recruits in his brief time here. I'm sure he suggested many players to Edsall and i'm going to guess that Edsall didn't agree with the assessment. They probably weren't far apart about a kids athletic ability, just how to handle that kid once in the program and what is the right way to court the kid. I could see them disagreeing over which kids are the ones worth taking an academic risk on as well.

The weird thing with MW is that the ability didn’t seem to warrant the risk. He was young I guess, but didn’t show much of anything in game action last year

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think we will look back 1/2 way into this 2019 campaign and realize we are in the Edsall 3.0 era. The New Age Edsall 2.0 era is already over. It ended when Crocker was dismissed.

Reaction Score
One FACT remains with our program is that we need coaching consisting on BOTH sides of the ball.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Did Lashlee not recruit Pindell?

I think that was a bit of a 50/50 with Edsall. But I'm not sure. Medic probably has the exact info filed away somewhere.

Reaction Score
I think that was a bit of a 50/50 with Edsall. But I'm not sure. Medic probably has the exact info filed away somewhere.

>>He chose the Huskies over Coastal Carolina and Temple, citing a strong rapport with Edsall and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who is installing an up-tempo offense heavy on run-pass options that Pindell is comfortable with.<<

>>"The one thing I noticed, which I liked, when I went on visits at the other schools the head coach didn't really stay with the players," Pindell said. "But when I got to UConn, Coach Edsall was with the players throughout the whole tour. He was really involved and he stayed with me, so we got to know each other. I didn't know he was the UConn coach when they were winning. I got to know him and I like him a lot. He seemed like a real serious dude, all about business, and I like that."<<

Different strokes for different folks...

Washington was 100% Lashlee I believe.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
>>He chose the Huskies over Coastal Carolina and Temple, citing a strong rapport with Edsall and offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee, who is installing an up-tempo offense heavy on run-pass options that Pindell is comfortable with.<<

>>"The one thing I noticed, which I liked, when I went on visits at the other schools the head coach didn't really stay with the players," Pindell said. "But when I got to UConn, Coach Edsall was with the players throughout the whole tour. He was really involved and he stayed with me, so we got to know each other. I didn't know he was the UConn coach when they were winning. I got to know him and I like him a lot. He seemed like a real serious dude, all about business, and I like that."<<

Different strokes for different folks...

Washington was 100% Lashlee I believe.

Pindell was a joy to watch. He never quite matched my original expectations for passing, but he very much exceeded my expectations as a thrilling scrambler.

While I'm content rolling back to a pro style offense this year and perhaps next, Senecal will probably give us a chance to do more RPO again 2021.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

based on the rift holy cross created i assumed pindell was more of a lashlee guy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom