Summer transfers | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Summer transfers

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
based on the rift holy cross created i assumed pindell was more of a lashlee guy.

I see it as Edsall just wasn't thrilled with Lashlee pushing someone out there that wasnt ready. I didnt see it as Edsall not seeing the value of Pindell, but rather he didn't necessarily agree with how he was coached and Lashlee's decision to start him week one. Edsall certainly seem to come around to Pindell in 2018.

I could be totally wrong, but I think Edsall the micro manager is fully back in 2019. No more hands off. And it will work better this time because the key coaches are improved and because his new set of coaches actually match Edsall's own instincts.

Reaction Score
I hear Keyion has been in contact with an in conference school and if he doesn’t go P5 he’ll end up at the conference school
Looks like UConn transfer Keyion Dixon has landed at Eastern Kentucky.
No P5 nor American conference foe, and dropping down to 1-AA Eastern Kentucky. Games in East Hartford and UConn to BCS Eastern Kentucky. Clearly, no cultural eye opener nor academic change yet it worked out for Tim Boyle for at least a year of pro football. Good luck to the kid.

Reaction Score
I think we will look back 1/2 way into this 2019 campaign and realize we are in the Edsall 3.0 era. The New Age Edsall 2.0 era is already over. It ended when Crocker was dismissed.

I made this point ... I’ll make it again

HCRE 1.0 included a significant bloodletting. Three coaches on Offense didn’t make 2002 which was Year 3. And he nudged a bunch of kids out from previous regime. His 2002 two deep had a ton of 1st & 2nd year kids.

I suspect this had a parallel at Maryland

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I made this point ... I’ll make it again

HCRE 1.0 included a significant bloodletting. Three coaches on Offense didn’t make 2002 which was Year 3. And he nudged a bunch of kids out from previous regime. His 2002 two deep had a ton of 1st & 2nd year kids.

I suspect this had a parallel at Maryland

2002 was year 4. The switch flipped in mid-2002 because of a ridiculously bad schedule combined with Orlovsky hitting the second half of his sophomore year and the lottery ticket that was Terry Caulley.

(yes Caulley was an electric player but Edsall sat him out against Georgia Tech for a reason)

Reaction Score
No P5 nor American conference foe, and dropping down to 1-AA Eastern Kentucky. Games in East Hartford and UConn to BCS Eastern Kentucky. Clearly, no cultural eye opener nor academic change yet it worked out for Tim Boyle for at least a year of pro football. Good luck to the kid.

If you read my other post he wasn’t going to be immediately eligible so he decided to drop down to play right away. He was being courted by Cincy and a B1G school.

Reaction Score
He was being courted by Cincy and a B1G school.
Yup, sometimes kids make most interesting short-term decisions ... LT implications be danmed. To be fair, can't blame anyone for limiting time in eastern Kentucky!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup, sometimes kids make most interesting short-term decisions ... LT implications be danmed. To be fair, can't blame anyone for limiting time in eastern Kentucky!

His future is Canada. May as well be with a coach you trust at EKU - the dirty little secret is that the OVC isn’t that different from the AAC when push comes to shove.

Reaction Score
His future is Canada. May as well be with a coach you trust at EKU - the dirty little secret is that the OVC isn’t that different from the AAC when push comes to shove.
I guess that depends on your definition of “isn’t that different” and how “dirty” you like your secrets. Does the OVC turn out some good players (e.g. Romo, Garrapolo, etc.)? Sure. But they haven’t even won an FCS championship this century. In fact, they’ve only put a team in the finals once. Two-thirds of their champs have washed out in the first round. While it’s true that UConn hasn’t held up its end of the bargain in the last 8 years, the overall quality of play in the AAC is far beyond a league that’s been a mid-tier FCS league for 20+ years.

Reaction Score
Happy for Dixon. Wish him well at EKU.
Gotta think sitting a year and losing that playing yr of playing time for another FBS program didn't sound too appealing. Personally I think that rule sucks. They hold have the same rule they use for college basketball on transfer policy. He should provide that program with an immediate spark at the WR position for this upcoming season.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I guess that depends on your definition of “isn’t that different” and how “dirty” you like your secrets. Does the OVC turn out some good players (e.g. Romo, Garrapolo, etc.)? Sure. But they haven’t even won an FCS championship this century. In fact, they’ve only put a team in the finals once. Two-thirds of their champs have washed out in the first round. While it’s true that UConn hasn’t held up its end of the bargain in the last 8 years, the overall quality of play in the AAC is far beyond a league that’s been a mid-tier FCS league for 20+ years.

OVC put 2 teams in the tournament last year to AAC's 3. OVC won two tournament games to the AAC's 3.

EKU actually hung with two FBS teams last year -- kept the games a lot closer than we would have.

Just like the AAC, the OVC plays on the Plus.

Of course the AAC is a better league -- AAC went 6-1 head to head vs the OVC in MBB. But the gap isn't as big as we like to pretend it is.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
OVC put 2 teams in the tournament last year to AAC's 3. OVC won two tournament games to the AAC's 3.

EKU actually hung with two FBS teams last year -- kept the games a lot closer than we would have.

Just like the AAC, the OVC plays on the Plus.

Of course the AAC is a better league -- AAC went 6-1 head to head vs the OVC in MBB. But the gap isn't as big as we like to pretend it is.
This is a football message board. You cant use basketball statistics to argue the football leagues are the same. OVC got 2 NCAA tournament bids and the PAC12 got 3. You going to tell me the OVC football is similar to the PAC12 too?

Drew

Reaction Score
I agree with about 95% of what you say here usually but vehemently disagree with the bolded above. Hard to find data on this sort of thing but going by Real Time RPI the AAC is closer to the SEC than the OVC is to the AAC: RealTimeRPI.com College Football/NCAAF - College Football Power Rankings and Analysis, A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Drew

Reaction Score
i meant from an individual players perspective.
We can agree to disagree but the last 2 recruiting classes for AAC teams consist of 406 3 star prospects and 2 4 star prospects per 247. Average the 3 star players out its essentially 17 per school times 4 classes and thats an average of 68 per roster.

It’s nearly impossible to find quality information on OVC recruiting but given that FCS teams are only allowed to provide aid equivalent to 63 total scholarships I doubt the entire OVC has rosters comprised of 3 star level players. Even UConn who is dead last in the AAC has 11 3 star prospects per year the last 2 classes. Using that as the baseline would mean the worst OVC team’s roster is comprised of 2/3 3 star prospects.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
We can agree to disagree but the last 2 recruiting classes for AAC teams consist of 406 3 star prospects and 2 4 star prospects per 247. Average the 3 star players out its essentially 17 per school times 4 classes and thats an average of 68 per roster.

It’s nearly impossible to find quality information on OVC recruiting but given that FCS teams are only allowed to provide aid equivalent to 63 total scholarships I doubt the entire OVC has rosters comprised of 3 star level players. Even UConn who is dead last in the AAC has 11 3 star prospects per year the last 2 classes. Using that as the baseline would mean the worst OVC team’s roster is comprised of 2/3 3 star prospects.

i’m sure you’d make the argument for some players in the SEC they could have developed better in the AAC. Some players will develop better in the Sun Belt or CAA than the AAC. Especially when not part of a culture of extreme losing.

Drew

Reaction Score
i’m sure you’d make the argument for some players in the SEC they could have developed better in the AAC. Some players will develop better in the Sun Belt or CAA than the AAC. Especially when not part of a culture of extreme losing.
Sure you can develop wherever depending on culture, coaching, etc. But even from that standpoint- which is different from what we talked about earlier and nearly impossible to provide data on- The AAC is ahead. Last two draft classes have had 29 AAC players drafted with multiple first round picks and the OVC has 4 picks none higher than the third round (1) with the other 3 coming in round 5 or later. At the start of the 2018 season there were 100 former AAC players on NFL rosters compared to 9 for the OVC in 2017 (cant find 2018 data).

I’m not an AAC apologist by any means but the football and players in the league are nowhere near equal to what is in the OVC and the data backs that up.

Reaction Score
Sure you can develop wherever depending on culture, coaching, etc. But even from that standpoint- which is different from what we talked about earlier and nearly impossible to provide data on- The AAC is ahead. Last two draft classes have had 29 AAC players drafted with multiple first round picks and the OVC has 4 picks none higher than the third round (1) with the other 3 coming in round 5 or later. At the start of the 2018 season there were 100 former AAC players on NFL rosters compared to 9 for the OVC in 2017 (cant find 2018 data).

I’m not an AAC apologist by any means but the football and players in the league are nowhere near equal to what is in the OVC and the data backs that up.
I personally think it came down to dollars and cents (sense). He didn’t have to sit out a year and Eastern Kentucky offered him more money because he’s probably perceived as a step up in talent coming from the FBS level- with his measurables and speed. I just don’t think Cincy or any other FBS program was willing to offer a full scholarship to a player who would have to sit out a year and coming from a subpar competitor with almost zero stats last year- especially when you’re limited to 25 per class (for the most part)

Drew

Reaction Score
I personally think it came down to dollars and cents (sense). He didn’t have to sit out a year and Eastern Kentucky offered him more money because he’s probably perceived as a step up in talent coming from the FBS level- with his measurables and speed. I just don’t think Cincy or any other FBS program was willing to offer a full scholarship to a player who would have to sit out a year and coming from a subpar competitor with almost zero stats last year- especially when you’re limited to 25 per class (for the most part)
You have to offer full scholarships at FBS so any offer he would’ve gotten at the FBS level is a full ride.

Transferring to EKU makes a ton of sense given the connections to UConn on the coaching staff and is coincides with the idea that Dixon was really not looking to challenge himself in the weight room and off the field. He gets to play one more year of football without having the grind of playing at the FBS level and will most certainly be a standout on the Colonels roster. I’m happy he found a home.

Reaction Score
You have to offer full scholarships at FBS so any offer he would’ve gotten at the FBS level is a full ride.

Transferring to EKU makes a ton of sense given the connections to UConn on the coaching staff and is coincides with the idea that Dixon was really not looking to challenge himself in the weight room and off the field. He gets to play one more year of football without having the grind of playing at the FBS level and will most certainly be a standout on the Colonels roster. I’m happy he found a home.
I’m happy for him too. What I meant by offering money is the financial aid (non scholarship) that he would have gotten from said FBS program as an out of state kid was probably not as much as the total aid package (football monies, academic monies, etc) that he was getting from the FCS school.
Either way, he’s at a place where there’s mutual interest and I hope he thrives.

Reaction Score
Pindell was a joy to watch. He never quite matched my original expectations for passing, but he very much exceeded my expectations as a thrilling scrambler.
I remember watching UConn get pasted by one of the better teams and the announcer exclaiming at one point, "Uh oh, Pindell is loose in the secondary and NO ONE is gonna catch that guy!! Pindell has some serious wheels!!"

Reaction Score
i meant from an individual players perspective.
Sure, yet Dixon's future is more likely similar to non-athletes and the overwhelming majority of football-playing athletes; a regular job not playing football on a gridiron field. In any case, I wish him well in eastern Kentucky and beyond ...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom