Stone retweeting a lot about Wisconsin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stone retweeting a lot about Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Interesting bit from Pitino. His quotes included the following:
“The reason I never knock Kentucky is I have too much respect for the players I coached there,” Pitino said. So, the reason he doesn't knock Kentucky has nothing to do with who is there now. So, if he didn't feel loyalty to his players from there, he would feel free to knock Kentucky without reservation. This is probably as close to openly dissing Calipari as Pitino will get. Didn't Calhoun, on the other had, refer to Calipari as being like a used car salesman? I forget, but even Calhoun being indirect is blunt compared to others. I would guess that Pitino is really pissed about this.

He called him a bullsh!tter.

Reaction Score
Maybe I don't understand twitter...even though I have an account though never use it...but are these tweets showing up under his account because they are from people who are following him? I don't see a tweet from him supporting any of those follower tweets. That seems like a positive for UConn IMO in that he's not responding to the pro-Badger tweets, but maybe I'm obtuse when it come to twitter.

Reaction Score
Just in the last two hours...at this point it seems like if he chooses anyone else he would just be laughing in the face of his home state. Not sure what to make of this.

DJ Heim @DHeim5 · 2h2 hours ago
@Diamond_Stone33 Time for you to take your talents to Madison #OnWisconsin

J Sauerbrei @Sauerbrei19 · 2h2 hours ago
Here's to hoping I get to watch @Diamond_Stone33 beat up on @HENBA13 next year while wearing that Motion W. #OnWisconsin

TBone @tkrause12 · 44m44 minutes ago
MU might be on to something with that pickup... Good thing @Diamond_Stone33 is going to Madison!

Bucky Badgers Blog @BadgerSportsite · 42m42 minutes ago
I think there is a good chance Wisconsin lands 5 star Center Diamond Stone very soon. Look at his twitter... @Diamond_Stone33

Mark Tesco @marktescowiaa · 27m27 minutes ago
Will Diamond Stone (@Diamond_Stone33) be the next top Wisconsin recruit to commit?

JUSTin DOrIoTt @Dboyyyy10 · 20m20 minutes ago
Now @Diamond_Stone33 needs to commit to Wisconsin! You would look good in red and white! #OnWisconsin

Ian Grisham @iangrisham · 8m8 minutes ago
Would be amazing to see @Diamond_Stone33 commit to Wisconsin repping the home team! #OnWisconsin

Reaction Score
I dont like these types of players. His mission is 1 and done. Id much rather have guys who can contribute and improve each year. Play a role than grow in the role. Thats what has helped Uconn win 4 NC not 1 1 and done player. We have foundational players who stay/ play improve. I'm not saying I wouldnt take him but I wont lose sleep if he doesnt come here. I wish we got that kid Providence got--he seems like a guy who couldve year by year helped us with Amida and Phil as they improve. We had an NBA top 3 center in Drummond and the chemistry was awful. I will always appreciate Drummond especially since hes pure CT, but it's hard on a team to have heavy turn over. Unless you are getting 7 of them like Kentucky each year--I dont think it works well.

Reaction Score
I dont like these types of players. His mission is 1 and done. Id much rather have guys who can contribute and improve each year. Play a role than grow in the role. Thats what has helped Uconn win 4 NC not 1 1 and done player. We have foundational players who stay/ play improve. I'm not saying I wouldnt take him but I wont lose sleep if he doesnt come here. I wish we got that kid Providence got--he seems like a guy who couldve year by year helped us with Amida and Phil as they improve. We had an NBA top 3 center in Drummond and the chemistry was awful. I will always appreciate Drummond especially since hes pure CT, but it's hard on a team to have heavy turn over. Unless you are getting 7 of them like Kentucky each year--I dont think it works well.
Facepalm.

Reaction Score
One and done or well done I want him. The sky won't fall if we don't get hlm but man it would be so good.

pj

Reaction Score
I dont like these types of players. His mission is 1 and done. ... Unless you are getting 7 of them like Kentucky each year--I dont think it works well.

Idiotic. You don't know him, he seems like a kid of great character who would be an outstanding teammate.

Every player's mission is to be the best they can be and get to the NBA as soon as they can. If he is good enough to do it at age 19, that only proves that he's better than others and more desirable for us.

How well has a team of one and dones worked out for Kentucky? Character and team play matter more than speed to the NBA.

Reaction Score
scrappy2.0 said:

Having a consistent stream of one and done guys is incredible for program marketing and notoriety. The more big stars we send to the NBA, the more we'll recruit. The other key element in having more nationally watched players is that we increase our fan base in other states. Kids love the big time names and that is great for UConn. More merchandise sales and more value in media deals. I'll take every 5 star I can get for that alone.

Reaction Score
Having a consistent stream of one and done guys is incredible for program marketing and notoriety. The more big stars we send to the NBA, the more we'll recruit. The other key element in having more nationally watched players is that we increase our fan base in other states. Kids love the big time names and that is great for UConn. More merchandise sales and more value in media deals. I'll take every 5 star I can get for that alone.
I get what some are saying about "the formula" and there is some truth to it but recruiting blue chips is all upside. There are programs that haven't accomplished half of what we have but are a bigger brand because of their recruiting. I want to continue what we've been doing but it's time to join the big boys in all facets of cbb. It will make our brand stronger and I have no doubt Ollie can make 5 stars take the stairs. Ten toes in.( and yes I know we get our fair share of 5 stars)

Reaction Score
If we were in the B1G, I wonder how much better the current situation would be/look for us

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
One and done means you are a lottery pick in that particular year. We've had a few of those and to a man they all worked out pretty well.

If said lottery pick is a freshman, terrific. Sundaes all around. If it takes him 2 or 3 years to become a lottery pick, then whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles.

Reaction Score
Rocktheworld said:
If we were in the B1G, I wonder how much better the current situation would be/look for us

I think about that a lot. I'm not sure how beneficial it is. I think the ACC and SEC attract more top talent based on no facts or research whatsoever, just my perception.

The American is pretty decent in basketball. I'm not sure it is that much of a hinderance. We get tons of exposure and have good teams on top. Again, a closer on the recruiting trail could overcome conference objections fairly easily with what he'd have to work with. The easier games on the schedule provide a chance to fix problems, develop players and ease the body beating. The tough games are against very good programs and are nationally relevant. I don't hate the American from a bball standpoint, it is tolerable. However, it is killing the football fan base.

Reaction Score
I think about that a lot. I'm not sure how beneficial it is. I think the ACC and SEC attract more top talent based on no facts or research whatsoever, just my perception.

The American is pretty decent in basketball. I'm not sure it is that much of a hinderance. We get tons of exposure and have good teams on top. Again, a closer on the recruiting trail could overcome conference objections fairly easily with what he'd have to work with. The easier games on the schedule provide a chance to fix problems, develop players and ease the body beating. The tough games are against very good programs and are nationally relevant. I don't hate the American from a bball standpoint, it is tolerable. However, it is killing the football fan base.
Not concerned the AAC is bad; just that if we were in the B1G, he'd get to go home at least once a year.

Reaction Score
We can get him home once a year if that's what it takes. We just need one or two games against Green Bay, Stevens Point, Marquette etc. to be added to the schedule. He probably isn't a 3-4 year player anyway.

Reaction Score
He would be a freshman that can contribute immediately in the post. If Brimah went pro after his freshman year than we would have just won an NC with a one and done. If Lamb went pro after the 2011 season that would be another one. Nothing wrong with getting the occasional one and done and it has no bearing on winning NC's.

Reaction Score
I understand the concern…

The problem is big time programs don't recruit a particular player thinking he's a "role player". There's only so many scholarships to go around. The roles will define themselves (i.e. the best players will play; some guys will take time; some guys won't work out). It is not an exact science.

You can't recruit guys based on the fear that they might be one & dones. No coach is going to lament that his freshman are too good & might jump.

Reaction Score
I wish we got that kid Providence got--he seems like a guy who couldve year by year helped us with Amida and Phil as they improve.
We do have a player like that in Steve Enoch, along with Rakim Lubin.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I just want to see UConn win. Getting the best players at each position increases the odds of that happening. If the one and done player is team oriented and only needs to tweak his skills to accommodate the teams best chance of winning, I would be crazy to say we should turn away that player. The only thing I'd personally miss is the opportunity to see a player develop over several seasons.

Let's not forget there is an advantage to having upperclassman leadership. The question is can that leadership and experience overcome relatively inexperienced (at the college level) but more talented players? The argument for the upperclassman value can be made by the recent successes of UConn, Butler, Wisconsin. The argument for super talented "inexperienced" players can be made by Kentucky, Arizona, and Kansas.

Interestingly this conversation has changed in recent years. I can distinctly recall that many pundits valued a leader like Mateen Cleaves in forecasting a team's success. Dick Vitale certainly had a column on diaper dandies, and publications would comment on the potential of the best incoming recruits. But the excitement was primarily focused on the veteran teams (with the exception of Duke). You have to wonder how much of this conversation we're having is because we are being influenced by the latest media hype as opposed to an insightful conversation.

So with this preamble, and to get back on track with the thread, if I can only chose to recruit two players, we already have them. I wanted Adams and Enoch the most. If I can only get two more I want Stone and Mack. One for the polish he brings immediately and one who I believe is the best all around player at his position and is just reaching his potential.

Needless to say as long as KO is coaching for UConn I like the team's chances no matter what rendition of talent and experience that his teams have.

Reaction Score
We do have a player like that in Steve Enoch, along with Rakim Lubin.

True we do have Enoch Lubin and Nolan with a chance to have Brimah back so I guess a player who would likely be a one and done in this case could just mesh for the year. I do have to remember that Brimah is one guy that is no lock to come back and hes our main rim protector.

Reaction Score
Oh, just shut --- up.
Duke has had three one-and-dones since the 2010-11 season and during that time the Blue Devils are 2-3 in the NCAA Tournament with those players

No need for the teenage reply--I think there is some reasonable validity to what I said.

Reaction Score
Duke has had three one-and-dones since the 2010-11 season and during that time the Blue Devils are 2-3 in the NCAA Tournament with those players

No need for the teenage reply--I think there is some reasonable validity to what I said.

What you basically said is that Kevin Ollie is wrong for trying to recruit the best post player in the country. That is pretty silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom