Stone retweeting a lot about Wisconsin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Stone retweeting a lot about Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Duke has had three one-and-dones since the 2010-11 season and during that time the Blue Devils are 2-3 in the NCAA Tournament with those players

No need for the teenage reply--I think there is some reasonable validity to what I said.

1) Kentucky has had a bazillion one-and-dones since 2010-2011.

2) Kentucky has been to three Final Fours and won a title.

3) Correlation does not imply causation.

4) Now shut --- up.

Reaction Score
Also, bringing in a top 10 recruit opens the door for other highly rated recruits down the road. We want those players at UConn lol

Reaction Score
It makes sense that this guy doesn't want a one and done when he thinks a lightly regarded three star is undoubtedly going to become a Husky great.

The thing that hurts my brain is that this guy isn't the only person who holds this view.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Also Andre Drummond, who appeared from a distance to be as likeable a kid as we've ever had, was not responsible for "killing team chemistry" while he was here.
Maybe not directly, but he certainly was the fuse to the AO Tnt. And that is the risk of a 1 and done. You open the door for a guy who has been waiting his turn to drop down in the hierarchy to a freshman. It can splinter a team.

Boat on '12:

"We were probably the most talented team in the country. The chemistry just wasn't there."

(were guys thinking more about the NBA at the end of that season?)

"Maybe. I was a young guy. I was best friends with (Jeremy) Lamb and (Andre) Drummond. They thought about it, but they really wanted to win the national championship. It just wasn't there, man. I think everybody was just worried about individual goals."

Reaction Score
1) Kentucky has had a bazillion one-and-dones since 2010-2011.

2) Kentucky has been to three Final Fours and won a title.

3) Correlation does not imply causation.

4) Now shut --- up.
I hate when people who have no idea who you are or what you look like have the cahones to say stuff on the Internet for no reason. Can you simply reply scrappy you might be off there imho--no you need to get personal and swear. If that makes you feel big--go for it but it's immature.

Reaction Score
Also, bringing in a top 10 recruit opens the door for other highly rated recruits down the road. We want those players at UConn lol
You do want to get the best players that fit your system. I'm sure KO is on that. But in our rather successful history, our championships and our other great seasons have ALL been built on players who have stayed 3 and 4 years. Kentucky has a model where they end up getting 6-7 of these guys at a time and usually have 2-3 top notch guys who do stay. I do not see us like that--nor would I want our program to turn into that. I like what weve had over the years. You get to watch the players and teams grow and develop. I can see using a player to augment a year is fine--if that is what we are doing here--thats cool. But I would not want us to change our system and getting guys like Bridah Napier Boatright etc and winning big... is so awesome. It's really what has made Uconn a unique team for the ages.

Reaction Score
Maybe not directly, but he certainly was the fuse to the AO Tnt. And that is the risk of a 1 and done. You open the door for a guy who has been waiting his turn to drop down in the hierarchy to a freshman. It can splinter a team.

Boat on '12:

I know that the chemistry was bad in 2012, it just had very little to do with Andre Drummond. It was mostly because of a complete and utter lack of leadership and the fact that the head coach missed a boatload of games in the middle of the season. Boatright being jerked around by the NCAA didn't help either.

And for the record, Andre Drummond didn't skip to the front of the line as soon as he got to Uconn. In his first 5 games he played 12, 18, 27, 12, and 22 minutes. Tyler Olander played 37 minutes on opening night that year. So if you want to know why Oriakhi got into a season long funk, Calhoun's misplaced loyalty to Olander is much more to blame than Drummond.

Reaction Score
I know that the chemistry was bad in 2012, it just had very little to do with Andre Drummond. It was mostly because of a complete and utter lack of leadership and the fact that the head coach missed a boatload of games in the middle of the season. Boatright being jerked around by the NCAA didn't help either.

And for the record, Andre Drummond didn't skip to the front of the line as soon as he got to Uconn. In his first 5 games he played 12, 18, 27, 12, and 22 minutes. Tyler Olander played 37 minutes on opening night that year. So if you want to know why Oriakhi got into a season long funk, Calhoun's misplaced loyalty to Olander is much more to blame than Drummond.

What kind of coach would Calhoun have been if he knuckled under to a mouthy mumu?

Reaction Score
What kind of coach would Calhoun have been if he knuckled under to a mouthy mumu?
Oriaki's issues started with the man in the mirror…

This is by no means meant to be a criticism of JC, but it would have been interesting to see how KO (head coach version) would have handled the situation. He seems to have a way of making the kids understand their own accountability. It's one of KO's best attributes...

Reaction Score
You do want to get the best players that fit your system. I'm sure KO is on that. But in our rather successful history, our championships and our other great seasons have ALL been built on players who have stayed 3 and 4 years. Kentucky has a model where they end up getting 6-7 of these guys at a time and usually have 2-3 top notch guys who do stay. I do not see us like that--nor would I want our program to turn into that. I like what weve had over the years. You get to watch the players and teams grow and develop. I can see using a player to augment a year is fine--if that is what we are doing here--thats cool. But I would not want us to change our system and getting guys like Bridah Napier Boatright etc and winning big... is so awesome. It's really what has made Uconn a unique team for the ages.
I think we can trust that KO knows what he is doing in recruiting Diamond Stone.

Reaction Score
Scrappy ... I think you are wrong.

Also, I think you have a logic problem with your premise. This is HIGHLY specific program to program; kid to kid. You can't make general statements about Duke or others ... without missing a lot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I hate when people who have no idea who you are or what you look like have the cahones to say stuff on the Internet for no reason. Can you simply reply scrappy you might be off there imho--no you need to get personal and swear. If that makes you feel big--go for it but it's immature.

Would it be more polite to say, "When you're in a hole, stop digging."?

Reaction Score
You're over thinking this. Fleudslipcon was right what he posted about winning. You get the best players at each position that you can get. Period. That's all KO is doing. Don't worry about one and dones or role guys. Those things will work themselves out. There is no way we're becoming like UK. So just relax. It's going to be ok. If you liked the last 20 yrs of UConn basketball. I'm sure you'll enjoy the next. Welcome to Olliewood.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Oriaki's issues started with the man in the mirror…

This is by no means meant to be a criticism of JC, but it would have been interesting to see how KO (head coach version) would have handled the situation. He seems to have a way of making the kids understand their own accountability. It's one of KO's best attributes...

You can't teach toughness, AO was as soft as fresh poo
Head coach or as an assistant (which he was at the time) Ollie couldn't do a thing with AO, he's an escalator type of guy.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I take full responsibility for accidentally directing this thread towards AO bashing. Best to lock it now, its only going to get worse from here.

Reaction Score
I take full responsibility for accidentally directing this thread towards AO bashing. Best to lock it now, its only going to get worse from here.
yep… I didn't mean to add to it… Tried to shift it to the greatness of KO… didn't work...

Reaction Score

Boat on '12:
There might be some truth to 1 and dones potentially hurting a teams chemistry, but in general the positives outweigh the negatives (IMO). UConn should always look to recruit the best players it can get.

Oriakhi was a bit different of a situation. AO started on a team that won the National Championship. He wasn't waiting for his turn. His minutes got cut because Drummond was a better player.

KO can't worry about hurting peoples feelings by getting a recruit that is better than someone on the current roster.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
yep… I didn't mean to add to it… Tried to shift it to the greatness of KO… didn't work...
I think the two of you ought to embellish it rather than squash it. Do either of you guys know whether AO liked pizza?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think he liked Pepe's, but only from Manchester.
I almost fell out of my seat reading that!! I'm not sure anyone got my cremation statement in that thread comparing Manchester and New Haven Pepe's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Maybe I don't understand twitter...even though I have an account though never use it...but are these tweets showing up under his account because they are from people who are following him? I don't see a tweet from him supporting any of those follower tweets. That seems like a positive for UConn IMO in that he's not responding to the pro-Badger tweets, but maybe I'm obtuse when it come to twitter.

Don't think anyone answered your post. Those are tweets from anyone (not necessarily followers) TO Diamond Stone re anything. The tweets won't show up on his feed, unless he 'retweets' them. Which basically means he forwards them to himself (sometimes with commentary) and they appear on his feed. When people do this, everyone thinks the person agrees wholeheartedly with what was said, which is usually the case. However, people retweet idiotic statements too, just to laugh at them. In this case, Diamond seems to retweet everything, so his retweeting of Wisconsin supporters doesn't necessarily mean anything. That was long winded.

Reaction Score
Don't think anyone answered your post. Those are tweets from anyone (not necessarily followers) TO Diamond Stone re anything. The tweets won't show up on his feed, unless he 'retweets' them. Which basically means he forwards them to himself (sometimes with commentary) and they appear on his feed. When people do this, everyone thinks the person agrees wholeheartedly with what was said, which is usually the case. However, people retweet idiotic statements too, just to laugh at them. In this case, Diamond seems to retweet everything, so his retweeting of Wisconsin supporters doesn't necessarily mean anything. That was long winded.
Definitely over the 140 character limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom