Statement from KO | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Statement from KO

Reaction Score
My views are all contingent on UConn offering a settlement to Ollie in March and him declining, which is all speculation. I probably spoke a little irrationally and I'm not sure we'll ever find out if a settlement was offered. If there wasn't, my viewpoint on Ollie is entirely different.
You didnt do anything wrong, you expressed your opinion. I personally think Ollie should settle because he has a real uphill battle from a contract interpretation standpoint. I wish him well, but the deck is not in his favor.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You going to boo Herbst, AD Dave, and Calhoun when they are at Gampel or XL?
Not JC but AD David Benedict is a db period and SH has zero backbone
Heard some feedback on Sirrius FM from an analyst about the issue and while he admitted that KO should probably lose his job over his performance (I agree on that point 100%) but after being told of all the supposed offenses his take was simple- nearly every coach does those kind of things and worse. He stated the problem is the relationship with the AD and the ADs ego. He felt most programs would close their eyes to any of these supposed claims but AD David Benedict, knowing that the university won't get slapped by NCAA with these allegations, brought them to light as his basis to not pay out any monies. He said all this paled in comparative to what many had heard that JC may have been doing. I won't say I agree with that because I don't know and NOBODY here knows what went on when JC was pulling the strings. He also added that if CT was in good financial state that this would have been resolved months ago - I also agree to that.
I felt that the statement from KO was heartfelt and wouldn't expect anything less from him - he is a good person
I despise the bashing and anyone who celebrates anything negative about KO
People wanted the change, KO didn't win enough for this program and he is gone
That's it. It's done
Now let's see what Coach Hurley can do to bring UConn back to an elite level - it won't be nearly as easy as some think but I really hope and pray it happens
My family and I have put way too much money into the athletic department since the 60s to see the program settle into mediocrity
If I happen to bump into DB at the next UConn Athletic Department function, first it won't be my choice to do so and second, if it does happen he will get an earful from me

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Tired of being wrong, grandpa?
Not with your juvenile statement
Thank you, I love my grand kids and being a grand pa
I'll ask my 8yr old grandson to give you a lesson in tact

Reaction Score
Not JC but AD David Benedict is a db period and SH has zero backbone
Heard some feedback on Sirrius FM from an analyst about the issue and while he admitted that KO should probably lose his job over his performance (I agree on that point 100%) but after being told of all the supposed offenses his take was simple- nearly every coach does those kind of things and worse. He stated the problem is the relationship with the AD and the ADs ego. He felt most programs would close their eyes to any of these supposed claims but AD David Benedict, knowing that the university won't get slapped by NCAA with these allegations, brought them to light as his basis to not pay out any monies. He said all this paled in comparative to what many had heard that JC may have been doing. I won't say I agree with that because I don't know and NOBODY here knows what went on when JC was pulling the strings. He also added that if CT was in good financial state that this would have been resolved months ago - I also agree to that.
I felt that the statement from KO was heartfelt and wouldn't expect anything less from him - he is a good person
I despise the bashing and anyone who celebrates anything negative about KO
People wanted the change, KO didn't win enough for this program and he is gone
That's it. It's done
Now let's see what Coach Hurley can do to bring UConn back to an elite level - it won't be nearly as easy as some think but I really hope and pray it happens
My family and I have put way too much money into the athletic department since the 60s to see the program settle into mediocrity
If I happen to bump into DB at the next UConn Athletic Department function, first it won't be my choice to do so and second, if it does happen he will get an earful from me

I am certain that the AD is already cowering in fear over the mere prospect of getting an earful from you. You have been wrong on absolutely everything UConn basketball related for years. I am not even sure how that is statistically possible, but you have done an admirable job of it.

C

Chief00

He is going to have to downsize his life style some and get a $300k to $400k job at the end of an NBA bench. Ray and Scott have talked to him is my information.

C

Chief00

He said all this paled in comparative to what many had heard that JC may have been doing. I won't say I agree with that because I don't know and NOBODY here knows what went on when JC was pulling the strings.
It must be real comforting to JC to have a real life rat on his staff. I am hearing Jim feels GM went overboard on KO in an unhelpful way. He understands the bitterness but for a guy who had few friends in the coaching profession - he has less now.

Please let Chief remind the Casual Fans that KO abided by GM’s request and did NOT make Miller’s firing public until AFTER the coach’s convention at the F4. Miller did NOT have the “fired” baggage but got no leads. For whatever reasons, he was never popular in the coaching profession or even respected. Now can you imagine who would even want to play golf with him or have a drink?
I have also been informed that GM turned down a state job at UConn, which would have fulfilled the years of service requirements for state retirement benefits.

Reaction Score
He is going to have to downsize his life style some and get a $300k to $400k job at the end of an NBA bench.
Heavy travel aside, more than a few people on the rebound might find an end of an NBA bench $300-400K gig relatively attractive. Whether the departed eventually acts to re-set his life and proactively enables fitting in that category ...

Reaction Score
The good news is he doesn't give a rats a** about your point of view! You're not a real good fan in my eyes, shallow person but if you're happy good for you! LOL...ptitful not cheering for him and anyone else here who feels the same. But I realize this is the BY.

EDIT: not cheering for him to win the case and the 10 mil is fine heck I’m not maybe a third is all he deserves. But as a person KO is still a blue blood and he made mistakes, hope he lands on his feet when the smoke clears and most everyone should feel the same as a UConn fan, just my opinion!

Thank you for that note of sanity, but (other than your opinion about AB) it's what I've come to expect from you.

Reaction Score
KO thought UConn was bluffing. UConn showed him they weren't. KO is toast and knows it. He also knows that UConn held back on releasing the embarrassing personal stuff but that they will probably do it if he doesn't back down. This letter is an attempt to get UConn back to the table to negotiate. He is trying to salvage what he can.

Reaction Score
UCONN shoots itself in the foot again is the best headline for this fiasco. Everything the athletic office and others in charge do gets negative headlines. Getting rid of KO because he’s losing could have been done in a quiet thank you for your service way. Pay him the money, or come to a mutual deal and save the money spent on lawyers and more importantly keep theses and past indiscretions from the headlines. Kevin Ollie, in a note, has said he bleeds blue, loves UCONN and some “fans” say they would boo him. Kevin may not have been the coach UCONN needed but he was a player that brought pride and heart to the program. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for bleeding blue.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My views are all contingent on UConn offering a settlement to Ollie in March and him declining, which is all speculation. I probably spoke a little irrationally and I'm not sure we'll ever find out if a settlement was offered. If there wasn't, my viewpoint on Ollie is entirely different.

You are right. There is no way to know. Yet. I hope we do find out. It's important.

I have a different take. I feel that offering a settlement so early out of the chute after claiming "just cause" would weaken UConn's claim for just cause. It would seem to me a lawyer representing Ollie could have a field day with that notion. So Im skeptical there was an offer that early. Just a gut feeling as an observer. Not grounded in knowledge of fact.

I think now a few months later settlement becomes a possibility as both sides are firing salvos, but that early in the process considering UConn's hard, line in the sand claim a settlement offer doesnt feel right to me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not with your juvenile statement
Thank you, I love my grand kids and being a grand pa
I'll ask my 8yr old grandson to give you a lesson in tact

But calling someone a is tactful? Maybe your grandson could give you a lesson too?

Reaction Score
Thank you for that note of sanity, but (other than your opinion about AB) it's what I've come to expect from you.

Sorry for that seems I always have one I expect too much from. Probably looked at it from the wrong viewpoint all along but it's too late. ;) Now it seems besides this KO argument we all should be pretty excited about the direction we seem to be going and that makes it fun again.

Reaction Score
UConn should settling and give KO...hmmmm...let's see...$30K!!!!

Reaction Score

Fair enough I guess.

You can sleep tonight knowing Huskybass said you did nothing wrong. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UCONN shoots itself in the foot again is the best headline for this fiasco. Everything the athletic office and others in charge do gets negative headlines. Getting rid of KO because he’s losing could have been done in a quiet thank you for your service way. Pay him the money, or come to a mutual deal and save the money spent on lawyers and more importantly keep theses and past indiscretions from the headlines. Kevin Ollie, in a note, has said he bleeds blue, loves UCONN and some “fans” say they would boo him. Kevin may not have been the coach UCONN needed but he was a player that brought pride and heart to the program. I wish him the best of luck and thank him for bleeding blue.

I wish him all the luck in the world and I hope he a great rest of his life as a proud UCONN player and amazing two year coach but I'm cheering UCONN admins for sticking to their guns and not bowing to "feel good" pressure to pay him unearned taxpayer money. He didn't deserve to be paid and we don't deserve to pay for it. Haven't you looked at the financial disaster our state is in? Its b/c our state leaders have mismanaged our money for decades. And this is not political, its both the Dem legislation/Unions and the Rep governors who all screwed us. This is legitimately the best example of fiscal responsibility I've seen by a State agency since Weicker. Maybe Benedict should run for Governor.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
You are right. There is no way to know. Yet. I hope we do find out. It's important.

I have a different take. I feel that offering a settlement so early out of the chute after claiming "just cause" would weaken UConn's claim for just cause. It would seem to me a lawyer representing Ollie could have a field day with that notion. So Im skeptical there was an offer that early. Just a gut feeling as an observer. Not grounded in knowledge of fact.

I think now a few months later settlement becomes a possibility as both sides are firing salvos, but that early in the process considering UConn's hard, line in the sand claim a settlement offer doesnt feel right to me.

Settlement negotiations at any stage are inadmissible in court, and therefore irrelevant in judicial or administrative proceedings. It won't matter what might have been proposed or discussed at any point in time between the parties. This rule is in force to encourage parties to settle matters on their own before having to go the distance in court.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom