Statement from KO | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Statement from KO

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
UConn should settling and give KO...hmmmm...let's see...$30K!!!!
Not unfunny, but can consensus form (from many perspectives in many contexts) for another couple of zeroes spaced over time with conditions that the blood still flows blue?

That might be close to a sweet spot where everybody is a little unhappy but not too harmfully so in any one direction.

Reaction Score
Not unfunny, but can consensus form (from many perspectives in many contexts) for another couple of zeroes spaced over time with conditions that the blood still flows blue?

That might be close to a sweet spot where everybody is a little unhappy but not too harmfully so in any one direction.

I liked one suggestion, perhaps you made it, that UConn offer him what the buyout would have been based on his first extension. If people want to talk ethics, there is reason to believe that Ollie got that last extension under less than honest circumstances. Was it a stupid contract from UConn's side? Yep. Did Ollie bluff them into a panic? Maybe. Should they have said no, either way, and let him walk to the NBA if that is what it would take to avoid a stupid buyout? Yep. But, in the end, Ollie stopped doing his job and was negligent. And, on top of that, he may have duped/scared UConn into a bad deal. The previous deal was more reasonable and it seems reasonable to give him what he deserved based on that deal. That's a good compromise, in my opinion.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I liked one suggestion, perhaps you made it, that UConn offer him what the buyout would have been based on his first extension. If people want to talk ethics, there is reason to believe that Ollie got that last extension under less than honest circumstances. Was it a stupid contract from UConn's side? Yep. Did Ollie bluff them into a panic? Maybe. Should they have said no, either way, and let him walk to the NBA if that is what it would take to avoid a stupid buyout? Yep. But, in the end, Ollie stopped doing his job and was negligent. And, on top of that, he may have duped/scared UConn into a bad deal. The previous deal was more reasonable and it seems reasonable to give him what he deserved based on that deal. That's a good compromise, in my opinion.
If we had let him walk we would be going on year 4 of the Greg Marshall era at UConn. We definitely unrightfully panicked.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It wasn't my suggestion, but it resonated with me when I read it.

Another take on the same thing would be that KO felt that he deserved another year to turn it around, and perhaps we could call that the third try for Alterique's AAC Rookie of the Year magic. AD Benedict thought No on this perspective after seeing enough on the court and learning enough about off the court (including non-basketball and compliance-related) matters).

The overwhelming mood on this board, and the prevailing mood in media reports is that getting a new farmer for next year would be a better bet for healthy growth. In the $3 million settlement scenario, the thinking is that "paying the old farmer not to grow corn" would be better than giving him another chance and risking similar results. In the totality of things, it's not a bad posture, and it can be fashioned into a tellable story from a lot of angles, even if it lacks a measure of drama that some folks like for various motivations.

Reaction Score
Personally this letter is closure for Kevin Ollie and explains to the state, university, administration, players, & fans that he truly enjoyed his time at UCONN and that he has no hard feelings towards anyone involving his time at UCONN even though it ended ugly. Now he feels that he can move on to his next stage in his life.

To be honest I commend and admire what he did and what he stated in that letter, I would’ve done the exact same thing, I actually have done a similar type of thing already in my life.

Reaction Score
He is going to have to downsize his life style some and get a $300k to $400k job at the end of an NBA bench. Ray and Scott have talked to him is my information.
Oh poor guy. Has to make do with 300 to 400 thousand.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Thank you Kevin, and I wish you all the best going forward. Another door will open for you soon enough, and I truly hope you find success and happiness, I hope you win another national title somewhere down the road, as long as it's not against UConn.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
You're on a 'need-to-know' basis.
No doubt.
Looking forward to more from our new Alaskan assassin.

PS - I've never seen a post time-stamped at 3:59pm on the thread but 5:17am on the alert. Then again, I never thought to look. Kinda fun.
Looking forward to more, maybe the new "average?"

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Calhoun on his recruiting trip to URI in September 2016.

CsfPvdIWcAAc-Ax.jpg:large

Quoting yourself and posting the picture twice. Glad it's not a picture anyone felt the need to take down. I hope this facilitates amicable settlement and success for all parties moving forward.

Oh great, I got an error message to limit myself to one piece of media, so I had to delete the second photo. All for the best.

Reaction Score
Personally this letter is closure for Kevin Ollie and explains to the state, university, administration, players, & fans that he truly enjoyed his time at UCONN and that he has no hard feelings towards anyone involving his time at UCONN even though it ended ugly. Now he feels that he can move on to his next stage in his life.

To be honest I commend and admire what he did and what he stated in that letter, I would’ve done the exact same thing, I actually have done a similar type of thing already in my life.
You believe that BS? That's a PR letter written in conjunction with a lawyer or public relations firm. Nothing more, nothing less.

I wish no ill will on Kevin Ollie. I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do. But I couldn't read that letter without laughing.

C

Chief00

You believe that BS? That's a PR letter written in conjunction with a lawyer or public relations firm. Nothing more, nothing less.

All I want to hear at this point is resolution and KO going back to LA.

Last edited by a moderator:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Not JC but AD David Benedict is a db period and SH has zero backbone
Heard some feedback on Sirrius FM from an analyst about the issue and while he admitted that KO should probably lose his job over his performance (I agree on that point 100%) QUOTE]

I didn't think you thought KO should be fired.

C

Chief00

Note to the casual fans out there - this is why gag orders are necessary, if done right.

As Chief gets older, he recognizes even more the value of due process. Maliciously throwing out second and third hard gossip into a formal investigation with the intent to injury people is beyond trailer park trash.
Miller’s narritive about Chill was wild and he threw an ex UConn great, Ray Allen, who tries to stay connected to the program under the bus. Chief can’t think up words to characterize my total disgust. Maybe Calhoun will listen to me next time? I doubt it but he’s not happy with Glen now - you can count on that.

Reaction Score
Ollie's letter is not some epiphany ladies and gentlemen. It's a calculated move realizing that UCONN has a great case against him, and the narrative surrounding his situation is completely against him, his lawyers advised him to send out a gracious letter. Smart on their part.

People need to move on. Ollie is gone and the Hurley era has begun.

Reaction Score

I wish no ill will on Kevin Ollie. I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do. But I couldn't read that letter without laughing.
What stood out to me after reading it was that he spent an awful lot of time patting himself on the back (he didn't mention running the program into the ground from his own neglect and breaking NCAA rules). He must have forgot about those small details.

Reaction Score
What stood out to me after reading it was that he spent an awful lot of time patting himself on the back (he didn't mention running the program into the ground from his own neglect and breaking NCAA rules). He must have forgot about those small details.

Any good lawyer would made sure he didn't incriminate himself by admitting wrong doing. This letter does set up the possibility that at some point bygones will be bygones and suggests this will not be a lifetime vendetta.

Reaction Score
Maybe Calhoun will listen to me next time? I doubt it but he’s not happy with Glen now - you can count on that.

Funny how what goes around, comes around.

Maybe JC should have talked to Dom Perno. GM blasted Perno and UConn when he bolted for JC at Northeastern (his first choice, Pitino at BU was out of scholarships). GM said lots of stuff at the time, which wasn't surprising given what I had heard of him from friends @ Fitch H.S. I remember my very negative feelings when he showed up at UConn again. Just figured JC must have known what he was doing since he had him at Northeastern.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Funny how what goes around, comes around.

Maybe JC should have talked to Dom Perno. GM blasted Perno and UConn when he bolted for JC at Northeastern (his first choice, Pitino at BU was out of scholarships). GM said lots of stuff at the time, which wasn't surprising given what I had heard of him from friends @ Fitch H.S. I remember my very negative feelings when he showed up at UConn again. Just figured JC must have known what he was doing since he had him at Northeastern.
On the one hand, juicy; on the other hand, not helpful to the cause of settlement and forward movement for all.
Eyes on the prize. It's doable

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom