Starting Quarterback | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Most people seem to think Welliver is the best QB we have. How do you save a guy like that for down the road in the portal era? I just don’t understand how that is going to work out. It seems really risky. I’m not saying it’s the wrong decision, I just don’t have confidence in the ideology considering how prone to transfer kids are these days. Especially, with a guy like Welliver, who is very far away from home and from a football hotbed like Texas with like 10-15 FBS schools.

Reaction Score
Most people seem to think Welliver is the best QB we have. How do you save a guy like that for down the road in the portal era? I just don’t understand how that is going to work out. It seems really risky. I’m not saying it’s the wrong decision, I just don’t have confidence in the ideology considering how prone to transfer kids are these days. Especially, with a guy like Welliver, who is very far away from home and from a football hotbed like Texas with like 10-15 FBS schools.

It’s like what are we saving him for? When we drop down to FCS?

Makes no sense.

Reaction Score
Less than 2 weeks and no QB1 announced. This disappointment train never runs out of steam.
Failure on the staff to not put in place a competition model allowing for evaluation and separation. And at this point if they're all equal in the staff's eyes, pick a name from a hat. Someone has to get all the first string snaps for next two weeks.

I actually have another way of reading this that is equally disappointing.

They know who the best QB is, they just don’t want to start him because then they will look stupid signing and paying a guy who has transferred twice.

Reaction Score
How do you save a guy like that for down the road in the portal era? I just don’t understand how that is going to work out.
Players that have zero game film don't tend to get poached unless they were very highly-touted out of high school which Welliver wasn't. Yeah he had a few P4 offers but those were 2-3 years prior to his commitment so they obviously weren't active. If he really thinks he's too good to be QB3 at UConn, then he's free to see if anyone else will give him a shot. Realistically, nobody has any clue what the QB room will look like after this season (or even tomorrow, the next day, or two weeks from now)

Reaction Score
Counterpoint, you really want to showcase him for 4 games say he throws for 1k yards and 9 tds against 4ints. You prepared to pay to keep him? Cause someone will likely take that over a HS kid.

Reaction Score
Was just looking up QB transfers, and there were a lot. Noticed E.J. Warner transferred to Rice. Maybe we get to see him up close, thought we had a shot at getting him out of high school.
QB is the one position where a good, but not great prospect should look to a UConn type team to get on the field and show out. ND's/Alabama's, etc. got their 4/5* guys each year and then buy a portal guy when none of them seem ready. Tyler P.'s older brother is an example of being buried, maybe Nick is that similar and will show out.

Reaction Score

I think people were saying he looked the best at the open practice (and he did); but he also faced the 2nd & 3rd team rather than the first team throughout. The first team defense was well ahead of the first team offense (Evers was noticeably limping by the middle of the scrimmage time before coming out), but that wasn't the case with the second teamers and both Welliver and McDonald were able to move the ball (excepting the interceptions from McDonald). I would've loved to see Welliver against the first team defense to get more of an apples to apples look. If you were there you also may have come to the conclusion that Durell Robinson was the most effective of the running backs (and he did look the part), but the argument hasn't been made that he should be ahead of Edwards or Rosa, in part because we've seen both Edwards & Rosa be effective, while none of the QBs get that benefit of the doubt.

Ultimately they have to play whomever gives the team the best chance to win, whether that's Evers, Fagnano, Welliver, McDonald, Smith or Tripptree

Reaction Score
You have very little insight into what’s going on at practice. There was one open practice where Evers was apparently being held back. The coach gave an atta boy to Fagnano and everyone assumes he is challenging for the starting job. I’m pretty skeptical myself. Every report has had Evers with the 1s except when they were resting him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think people were saying he looked the best at the open practice (and he did); but he also faced the 2nd & 3rd team rather than the first team throughout.
But seeing someone throw such a nice ball mitigates who he's playing against, imo. At least to some degree.

Reaction Score
Nothing other than some stated opinions here say Welliver is our best, or should be starting. What stands out to me is that he was deemed the best passer. I think we all want someone that can move the ball through the air. Balance could keep us in games.

Reaction Score
But seeing someone throw such a nice ball mitigates who he's playing against, imo. At least to some degree.
Evers & Welliver were the two best looking passers in warm-ups prior to the scrimmage portion of the practice... in the scrimmage, yes Welliver threw the best ball, but more time makes it a lot easier to throw a pretty pass and place it where you want.... which again plays into the desire to see more apples to apples.

We'll find out soon enough..

Reaction Score
I just really enjoy the , “ I heard the back up looked really good against the backups in a controlled scrimmage and he should start” talk. You know UConn football is starting soon when pages are spent on whether QB3 should start.

Reaction Score
I just really enjoy the , “ I heard the back up looked really good against the backups in a controlled scrimmage and he should start” talk. You know UConn football is starting soon when pages are spent on whether QB3 should start.

When the top 2 don’t look so hot it adds fuel to the fire.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When the top 2 don’t look so hot it adds fuel to the fire.

This. Do you want a QB who was ineffective against defensive 1's or a back up who was effective against back ups?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Reaction Score
This. Do you want a QB who was ineffective against defensive 1's or a back up who was effective against back ups?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I don’t know the answer but one thing I do know is this. At some point in the season palatine will declare that the backup is better than the starter. And it won’t matter who the backup is or whether he or anyone else has seen the backup play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom