Starting Quarterback | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Starting Quarterback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You don't put all those resources into Evers just to kick the tires. If he's not the runaway number one choice and you are giving him the bag commensurate of a number 1 QB, that is a recruiting problem.
Boise St managed to land 2023 not overall recruit Malachi Nelson formerly of USC and did not name him starter. Instead they're going with Maddux Madsen who split time for them last year.

Just for comparison sake.

Reaction Score
Endres seems like 20 years ago. The last time we had a high octane offense was Cody.

I felt Frazer was similar but not quite as good. I recall a shootout with Cincy in Cincy that was pretty high scoring. Also maybe a win at the Rent with Cody filling in Lorenzen maybe?

Edit: Frazer was the QB at Cincy that year.
Yeah, a galaxy far far away. Holy moly

Reaction Score
This. Do you want a QB who was ineffective against defensive 1's or a back up who was effective against back ups?

Inquiring minds want to know.
The guy who the coaches made the starter and is playing against the starting defense. Months of practices is more relevant than one scrimmage

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Why do you think that?
I watched him in the spring and he just looked like he belonged. Then a week ago he was the best by far. Now haven't watched practices but the reports are very good on what he can do. I want to win and think he gives us the best chance

Reaction Score
You don't put all those resources into Evers just to kick the tires. If he's not the runaway number one choice and you are giving him the bag commensurate of a number 1 QB, that is a recruiting problem.
You don't know he's a runaway 1 until he gets in the building and shows you what he has in terms of play and commitment

Reaction Score
still think the best actually quarterback is the true freshman Welliver.
We usually don’t get this until at least game 2. Maybe but maybe he just needs to develop a bit. From the look of things he is either 3 or 4 on the depth chart so you are probably right.

Reaction Score
Mora should not start a true freshman QB game 1 of the season on the road against one of the better defenses on our entire schedule given the the uncertainty and inexperience of our OL and OC particularly when you factor in how immobile that true freshman QB is. That's just set up for failure.

Reaction Score
Mora should not start a true freshman QB game 1 of the season on the road against one of the better defenses on our entire schedule given the the uncertainty and inexperience of our OL and OC particularly when you factor in how immobile that true freshman QB is. That's just set up for failure.
So you’re saying Mora shouldn’t start the best QB on the team if he believes it to be Welliver? So just throw game 1 of the short 12 game season away?

Reaction Score
So you’re saying Mora shouldn’t start the best QB on the team if he believes it to be Welliver? So just throw game 1 of the short 12 game season away?
Not necessarily. It is not that uncommon for a guy to sit for a few games. It happens in college and the NFL.

Reaction Score
So you’re saying Mora shouldn’t start the best QB on the team if he believes it to be Welliver?

Yes! You do it because there is less than a 5 percent chance of us winning the Maryland game no matter who the QB is and having someone who can run for his life probably is our best shot.

In many ways the G5 games and Merrimack are our biggest games of the year, those are the games we need to win.

Reaction Score
If he's head and shoulders above the rest I'd play him.

However, its very unlikely that's the case given that he was playing against the 2s in the open practice. And I do think people are underplaying how big of a deal that is when saying that he looked the best.

If he's not head and shoulders above the rest I'd lean towards Evers

Reaction Score
Yes! You do it because there is less than a 5 percent chance of us winning the Maryland game no matter who the QB is and having someone who can run for his life probably is our best shot.

In many ways the G5 games and Merrimack are our biggest games of the year, those are the games we need to win.

alright so does Welliver(if he's the guy) sit week 3 then?

Reaction Score
Not sure you want potential #1 QB
to suffer a possible Aaron Rogers injury against Maryland week 1

huskidork

bailey
Reaction Score
imo, I'd roll with Nick Evers I pretty god this doesn't go the way it did last year

Reaction Score

100%. KembaFan had a great post (#15, page 1) in this predictions thread that echoes your point.

Reaction Score
alright so does Welliver(if he's the guy) sit week 3 then?
That depends. Are we 2-0, then no. 0-2 then probably yes, 1-1 depends. If we lost to Maryland 28-24 and Evers threw for 350 and 3tds and beat Merrimack 45-3 probably not. If we got blown out by Maryland and Evers throws for 110 with 3 picks and best Merrimack 17-14, there is a good chance somebody else starts in game 3.

And that assumes that Welliver is the best we have. Not sure this is all that accurate at this point. The receivers seem pretty high on Evers.

Reaction Score
Mora today.

IMG_5417.jpeg

Reaction Score
If you can confidently say that our inexperienced OL will consistently provide our QB 3-5 seconds of a clean pocket to scan and throw, our WRs will consistently get separation and catch the ball, and our first time OC will be an effective play caller then yes I'd seriously consider starting Welliver game 1 of the season on the road against arguably the best team on our schedule.

Reaction Score
Evers will probably get the nod and then see how it goes from there over the next couple games. I do like those being the only two guys mentioned.

In the original quote all four were mentioned. They think all four can play. McDonald has been injured a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom