Start Cochran | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Start Cochran

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So your point is once a back-up always a back-up?

We have no wins and nothing to lose, your argument for not starting Cochran next week is what exactly?

And you were right about people going overboard for Boyle after the USF game, and I was one of them, I give you kudos for that, but I don't understand why any UCONN fan would not want to see what Cochran can do as a starter.

No my point is that he's no better than either of the prior starters and the when he plays against starters you'll see that.

It doesn't much matter who they start to me. If they want to beat SMU, I think it's pretty obvious that Whitmer gives them the best chance but if they'd like to reward Cochran for his play in garbage time that's fine too - it's just crazy to expect anything other than snap - pressure - bad result.

Boyle was pretty bad but when you don't have a split second to do anything it doesn't much matter who the quarterback is.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty obvious that Whitmer gives them the best chance but if they'd like to reward Cochran for his play in garbage time that's fine too

This statement sums up my feelings about the whole thing. Whitmer should be the starter. He is the best quarterback on this team right now. If you don't believe me, check the passer ratings.

The problem was that he threw a few picks along with his TD's. Well, Boyle's got the picks part down now, so...

Reaction Score
Not fair to say CC only succeeds in garbage time. He has better footwork and gets rid of the ball faster. Why TJ didn't put him earlier tonight is beyond me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not fair to say CC only succeeds in garbage time. He has better footwork and gets rid of the ball faster. Why TJ didn't put him earlier tonight is beyond me.

Has he succeeded in non garbage time?

How isn't it fair then?

Reaction Score

How isn't it fair then?

He's succeeded, which puts him ahead of 90 percent of his teammates. Throw out the Cincy INT. Not really interested in watching more interception-fests with Whitmer as this Bataan Death March concludes.

Reaction Score

How isn't it fair then?

It's not fair that he has never had a chance in non garbage time, how is he supposed to be successful when it counts from the bench?

Your argument makes no sense because he has never had a start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
...when you don't have a split second to do anything it doesn't much matter who the quarterback is.

clap.gif

The Ends were abused tonight.

Reaction Score
And another thing. CC came in when the game was out of hand and gave it everything he had. Sad to say cannot be said for most others. Way too much grab-assing on the sideline for my taste at the end.

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
And another thing. CC came in when the game was out of hand and gave it everything he had. Sad to say cannot be said for most others. Way too much grab-assing on the sideline for my taste at the end.

For DB too...

DariusJButler11:52pm via Echofon
Why do we look so duck**** HAPPY!?? We're down 21!!!!

That came after KA TD.

Reaction Score
What Cochran does in garbage time against the second and third stringers doesn't matter. Oh they scored down 31-3 and 62-10. It's not evidence of anything other than that's what happens at the end of games.

If you want to pretend things would be different if he starts knock yourself out. It will work out exactly the same as the switch from Whitmer to Boyle.

It was only three weeks ago I was pointing out against lunacy that Boyle wasn't locked in as the starter the next three years. Now it's the garbage time brigade begging for Cochran.

People have hard ons for backup quarterbacks. No matter how many times it plays out - they still fool themselves into thinking it will fix things.
There is a difference between doing the right thing and getting the right result. For example, firing PP was the right thing( or you disagree?) but clearly we are not getting the right results. If you understand this subtle difference you will be fine.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's not fair that he has never had a chance in non garbage time, how is he supposed to be successful from the bench?

Your argument makes no sense because he has never had a start.

The argument is obviously fair because he's never succeeded outside of garbage time.

Is it fair he hasn't started? Maybe, I'm not at practice so I have no idea.

I hope they start him and he's great. Based on what I've seen I'd be shocked for multiple reasons. The biggest being that almost no quarterback can be successful behind that offensive line because it's as bad an offensive line I've ever seen.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Here's a fun test for everyone. Who do you play:

Quarterback A - 117 average QB rating, 6 yards per catch average, 58% completion percentage, TD/INT ratio = 1.0

Quarterback B - 74 average QB rating, 5 yards per catch average, 43% completion percentage, TD/INT ratio = 0.0

Quarterback C - 117 average QB rating, 7 yards per catch average, 55% completion percentage, TD/INT ratio = 0.83

Who do you go with? Who is your backup? Who rides the bench?

Reaction Score

Quarterback A - 117 average QB rating, 6 yards per catch average, 58% completion percentage, TD/INT ratio = 1.0

Quarterback B - 74 average QB rating, 5 yards per catch average, 43% completion percentage, TD/INT ratio = 0.0

Quarterback C - 117 average QB rating, 7 yards per catch average, 55% completion percentage, TD/INT ratio = 0.83

I go w/ the QB who hasn't had a chance yet! The one who reportedly can run like a bat out of hell for his life! Start Kivon! :D

Reaction Score
A competent QB gives us a chance tonight. Defense was gangbusters against (one of) the most dynamic player(s) in the country. Not ideal offensive conditions but Boyle couldn't get anything going through the air at all.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I go w/ the QB who hasn't had a chance yet! The one who reportedly can run like a bat out of hell for his life! Start Kivon! :D

Touche! You found the one QB I didn't have stats for. Well played, my friend. Well played... ;)

Reaction Score
Watching him and the others warm up tonight he may throw the tightest ball out of all four. No telling how that translates on the field but if he is a half decent passer his running ability should help him tightly contend for the starting spot next year.

Reaction Score
The biggest being that almost no quarterback can be successful behind that offensive line because it's as bad an offensive line I've ever seen.

All the more reason to make the switch, Boyle's only advantage over Cochran and Whitmer is that he can throw the deep ball, but since he has no time to do it and we have no burners Boyle loses that advantage. Cochran gets the ball out quickly, he won't be sacked nearly as much, and if he keeps getting the ball out the defense will stop blitzing.

I have no idea if Cochran will be successful but we need to find out, that's all i'm saying.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

If anyone is still interested in the identities of the QB's:

A = Cochran
B = Boyle
C = Whitmer

Reaction Score

As the great Jonny Gomes said F statistics. “There’s a lot of sabermetrics, there’s a lot of numbers and stuff. The whole WAR stat. But when you go to playoffs, you want me to go to war with.” Let's go to war with CC and see what happens.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
As the great Jonny Gomes said F statistics. “There’s a lot of sabermetrics, there’s a lot of numbers and stuff. The whole WAR stat. But when you go to playoffs, you want me to go to war with.” Let's go to war with CC and see what happens.

If you were smart, you would have just said that Cochran has the highest QB rating and the highest completion percentage. Instead, you just felt like saying F statistics because you didn't want to read the stats. The point of my statistics is that Boyle has been noticeably worse than the other two QB's. You'd be amazed at what stats can tell you sometimes...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If you were smart, you would have just said that Cochran has the highest QB rating and the highest completion percentage. Instead, you just felt like saying F statistics because you didn't want to read the stats. The point of my statistics is that Boyle has been noticeably worse than the other two QB's. You'd be amazed at what stats can tell you sometimes...
I agree with you Dan but both Boyle and Whitmer's stats come against first team offenses while Cochran's aren't. Whitmer has stats against Towson, MD, UM, and Buffalo defenses. Boyle has stats against USF, UCF, and Louisville D. Two completely different sets of defensive abilities. On top of that, Boyle didn't finish either game against UCF or Louisville while Whitmer played the whole game in all his starts. Stats are like opinions, they can be used to prove someone's point but they can also be used against that same point when looked at closer.

I'm all for giving Cochran a shot because hell, what else is there to lose?!? Maybe we hurt Boyle's ego because he thought he was the next big thing. Who cares, he may still be. Clearly right now, he has proven that he is just not ready.

Reaction Score
Right now I want the QB with:
1. The most confidence --and
2. The best leadership skills
I'm not as concerned with arm strength (if that's the rub against CC.) We have no business anyway right now relying on long downfield routes or those incessant sideline attempts that scream Pick 6. Give me quick slants and screens and a guy with a bounce in his step and a hand clapping enthusiasm for the game. We're too robotic out there. I agree with Sportsart that Boyle looks shell shocked and could use a breather. And if I'm Whitmer I'm saying to the coaching staff--" You said---I---was the problem??? Really???"

Reaction Score
Right now I want the QB with:
1. The most confidence --and
2. The best leadership skills
I'm not as concerned with arm strength (if that's the rub against CC.) We have no business anyway right now relying on long downfield routes or those incessant sideline attempts that scream Pick 6. Give me quick slants and screens and a guy with a bounce in his step and a hand clapping enthusiasm for the game. We're too robotic out there. I agree with Sportsart that Boyle looks shell shocked and could use a breather. And if I'm Whitmer I'm saying to the coaching staff--" You said---I---was the problem??? Really???"
This whole thread reminds me of similar threads from a few years ago…..Boyle=McEntee….Cochran=Nebrich….Whitmer=Box….there are some differences, I know, but lots of similarities.

Reaction Score
Give Cochran a chance. Boyle throws were off target last night, short, behind and one way to early. No better time to see what Casey can do. Maybe we will be surprised and it will boost the kids confidence. Worth the chance at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom