Start Cochran | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Start Cochran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cochran may have the weakest arm in our QB stable but he sets-up and gets the ball out quicker then the others do, and he makes quick and intelligent reads of the defense. Chad Pennington couldn't break a pane of glass with his throws but he used the same skills Cochran seems to have to become a very successful NFL QB. Gino Toretta is another great QB that comes to mind who had a weak arm but made up for it with brains.

I want to see more of Cochran, or does he need to go to Fordham for us to discover his potential.

Reaction Score
More TD passes than Boyle already.

I think Cochran deserves a chance at QB. He was an excellent QB in high school and looked good yesterday - recognizing that the game was over and he was facing the subs. When you have a player with that amount of talent you can only finally judge his ability by putting him on the field against other teams. Some players need to be on the field to bring out their full leadership qualities and ability in the clutch. I don't know if Cochran has those qualities, but we need to find out.

Reaction Score
I think Cochran deserves a chance at QB. He was an excellent QB in high school and looked good yesterday - recognizing that the game was over and he was facing the subs. When you have a player with that amount of talent you can only finally judge his ability by putting him on the field against other teams. Some players need to be on the field to bring out their full leadership qualities and ability in the clutch. I don't know if Cochran has those qualities, but we need to find out.

I saw enough of Cochran v. UCF to know he needs to see more time. Maybe he just did well against the opposing teams subs. But the key is he looked comfortable and decisive. He obviously prepares for the game as if he is starting. I like that.

But please, if he is going to play, play him more than a half.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
More TD passes than Boyle already.

Against an uninspired 3rd string defense. Casey looked fine and I was happy to see him do well, but you can clearly see that Boyle has a much higher upside.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
You cannot clearly see anyone who is heads and tails better.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Against an uninspired 3rd string defense. Casey looked fine and I was happy to see him do well, but you can clearly see that Boyle has a much higher upside.

I'm not doubting any of you who saw these two at practice or Casey in the Spring game, but I think it's crazy to say that he doesn't deserve a shot to prove himself against a 1st team D. I'm sure Boyle is going to be great but who knows, maybe Casey could be too. At this point, what is there to loose.

This isn't directed at you Jax, just feel like many people feel they know that Cochran isn't good and once we non-believers see him play we'll all see he stinks. No one has seen him play against a first string D in a game setting. Give him a shot and let's see what we got. At this point, anything would be great to see.

(I'm not in either QB's corner, I just want the best players to be playing)

Reaction Score
Earth to UCONN coaching staff, please start Cochran next week. I see nothing but quick and intelligent reads, accurate throws and you know what, the kid has a better arm than he is giving credit for, plenty of velocity on the ball, much more like Endres than we thought.

Is Casey ever going to get a real shot here or is he destined to be a star at Fordham?

and BTW, HE'S JUST A FRESHMAN TOO.

Reaction Score
Boyle couldn't do the job and Casey came in cold on a very cold night and drove the team into the end zone. He also converted two 3rd downs to do it. He just reads the defense and finds receivers better than Boyle and Whitmer do. Further, he is far more accurate. He's exactly what he was always advertised to be. You can't undervalue that he reads defenses that fast, especially with a weak OL and so so backs.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
I apologize to the Casey camp.

I'm 100% on board if you'll forgive me.

Maybe his dad can move us to a different conference so we can recruit better!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Boyle is damaged goods right now. He needs to sit and regroup for next year. Casey deserves to play vs the one's and see if he can continue.

Boyle is so lost he may be too damaged to fix if he's allowed to continue.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn fans have one thing down. Worshipping the backup quarterback.

Reaction Score
Your cut against the grain posts which don't offer any additional insight are becoming inane.

When you give 28 points and the 2nd string QB beats you, you tend to lash out at said 2nd string QB.

Reaction Score
UConn fans have one thing down. Worshipping the backup quarterback.

Casey is clearly better at this point. If he sucks in a start, I say let him play through it. Boyle isnt the answer this year. Casey needs an extended shot.

This isn't an example of being in love with the backup in the traditional sense. We've seen him play and he's better in all facets when he does.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Your cut against the grain posts which don't offer any additional insight are becoming inane.

What Cochran does in garbage time against the second and third stringers doesn't matter. Oh they scored down 31-3 and 62-10. It's not evidence of anything other than that's what happens at the end of games.

If you want to pretend things would be different if he starts knock yourself out. It will work out exactly the same as the switch from Whitmer to Boyle.

It was only three weeks ago I was pointing out against lunacy that Boyle wasn't locked in as the starter the next three years. Now it's the garbage time brigade begging for Cochran.

People have hard ons for backup quarterbacks. No matter how many times it plays out - they still fool themselves into thinking it will fix things.

Reaction Score
This ^^^

The question needs to be called. He deserves a chance to start @ SMU.

We will see if TJ has a clue. I'd be shocked if Boyle starts next week. One of PP's worst qualities was his stubbornness, and if TJ tries to stick to his guns, so to speak, and starts Boyle we'll know he has no clue.

Reaction Score
Casey is clearly better at this point. If he sucks in a start, I say let him play through it. Boyle isnt the answer this year. Casey needs an extended shot.

This isn't an example of being in love with the backup in the traditional sense. We've seen him play and he's better in all facets when he does.

Exactly, we have seen both and it is absolutely clear that Casey deserves a chance. Boyle is not coming close to doing the job, while Casey shows real promise.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When you give 28 points and the 2nd string QB beats you, you tend to lash out at said 2nd string QB.

Oh good. The guy who wants to treat UConn as a pee-wee football program is going to chime in.

All we need is more hugs. Enough hugs and they win out.

Reaction Score
What Cochran does in garbage time against the second and third stringers doesn't matter. Oh they scored down 31-3 and 62-10. It's not evidence of anything other than that's what happens at the end of games.

If you want to pretend things would be different if he starts knock yourself out. It will work out exactly the same as the switch from Whitmer to Boyle.

It was only three weeks ago I was pointing out against lunacy that Boyle wasn't locked in as the starter the next three years. Now it's the garbage time brigade begging for Cochran.

People have hard ons for backup quarterbacks. No matter how many times it plays out - they still fool themselves into thinking it will fix things.

So your point is once a back-up always a back-up?

We have no wins and nothing to lose, your argument for not starting Cochran next week is what exactly?

And you were right about people going overboard for Boyle after the USF game, and I was one of them, I give you kudos for that, but I don't understand why any UCONN fan would not want to see what Cochran can do as a starter in this complete waste of a season.

Reaction Score
The point is to keep rotating players until you find the ones that perform.

What don't understand?

Agreed. Not only is rotating the right thing to do at this point, but it need not be seen as desperation by the coach. Watching the game from the sidelines, after having a horrific debut, may be just the thing to get Boyle or anyone else the second wind, sort-of speak. It certainly will not hurt at this time. Coaches frequently bench their starters when it's not their night, only to use them when it matters in the future.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Boyle shouldn't start next game. I would be fine with starting Cochran. I would be fine with returning to Whitmer. But Boyle has been given plenty of chances to show something and he flat out hasn't.

I feel good about the fact that Boyle has tools and room to grow. But the results show that he shouldn't be out there...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom