Start Cochran | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Start Cochran

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Casey's turn. 0 TDs, 8 INTs for Boyle. Casey moves the ball well. The defense made last night's game winnable. Offense was inept with Boyle.

Boyle does have natural talent. He needs to develop his game psyche. I wonder whether we will regret losing out on Lagow. And I am not an apologist. Nebrich is doing damn well. We should have at least won a game somewhere. This season has been horrifically inconsistent.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree with you Dan but both Boyle and Whitmer's stats come against first team offenses while Cochran's aren't. Whitmer has stats against Towson, MD, UM, and Buffalo defenses. Boyle has stats against USF, UCF, and Louisville D. Two completely different sets of defensive abilities. On top of that, Boyle didn't finish either game against UCF or Louisville while Whitmer played the whole game in all his starts. Stats are like opinions, they can be used to prove someone's point but they can also be used against that same point when looked at closer.

I'm all for giving Cochran a shot because hell, what else is there to lose?!? Maybe we hurt Boyle's ego because he thought he was the next big thing. Who cares, he may still be. Clearly right now, he has proven that he is just not ready.

If you are saying things like "stats are like opinions", then I'm pretty sure you DON'T agree with me. Ask Teddy Bridgewater if stats are opinions. Ask Blake Bortles if stats are opinions.

The defenses that Boyle has played against may be slightly better combined than the teams Whitmer played against (maybe), but Boyle had a running game to compliment him. Whitmer didn't. And the fact that Boyle has 0 TDs and 8 INTs to go along with other poor statistics and numerous throws behind receivers' backs, and it's easy to say that Boyle should not be the starter now. It's VERY easy to say that.

If people want to give Cochran a try instead of Whitmer, be my guest. I still feel that Whitmer is the best quarterback on the team right now, and I would like him to play because the prospect of going 0-12 gives me indigestion. But keeping Boyle in there right now and destroying whatever confidence and growth he maybe had built up is now madness...

Reaction Score
Was that most if the second team offense that scored

Yup.

The line from left to right was Hemmingway, Rugg, Paul, Samra, Gifford.

Passes completed to:

Max D
Mcquillian
Bradley
Abrams
Green
Abrams for TD

Talk about spreading the ball around. The biggest difference between Cochran and our other QB's is Cochran isn't deciding where he is throwing the ball before the ball is snapped, he actually goes through a quick post snap progression and throws without hesitation to the first open man he sees, ball out on time and with accuracy.

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I go w/ the QB who hasn't had a chance yet! The one who reportedly can run like a bat out of hell for his life! Start Kivon! :D
Yeah, why not burn another redshirt, there are four games left.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A change the QB thread? What a terrific idea and original to boot.

If we want the best chance to win the game we start Chandler. He is still the best QB on the roster.
If you want to look toward next year, you start Casey for one reason. So, the next coach has game film on more QB options.
One of these three guys is starting next year.

As for Boyle, whether you think he will be good or not, right now he simply isn't accurate enough with the ball to be on the field. I am not even referring to the interceptions. Without better accuracy he will never be a viable QB for us.

Reaction Score
He's earned the right to compete for time. Boyle is a better QB on paper but not necessarily in the game. I like the pep and inspiration he plays with. He also seems more opportunistic and able to find receivers. Give Boyle a good line and maturity and he is the franchise, but that's not where we are at. Give Casey a chance to start. Might find out he's a play maker.

Reaction Score
A change the QB thread? What a terrific idea and original to boot.

If we want the best chance to win the game we start Chandler. He is still the best QB on the roster.
If you want to look toward next year, you start Casey for one reason. So, the next coach has game film on more QB options.
One of these three guys is starting next year.

As for Boyle, whether you think he will be good or not, right now he simply isn't accurate enough with the ball to be on the field. I am not even referring to the interceptions. Without better accuracy he will never be a viable QB for us.
Not sure if you guys talking about Whitmer know this but he hurt his hand in practice last week.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Not sure if you guys talking about Whitmer know this but he hurt his hand in practice last week.

He hurt his hand....and I saw him throwing 40 yard passes back and forth with Boyle at halftime last night, so... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If you were smart, you would have just said that Cochran has the highest QB rating and the highest completion percentage. Instead, you just felt like saying F statistics because you didn't want to read the stats. The point of my statistics is that Boyle has been noticeably worse than the other two QB's. You'd be amazed at what stats can tell you sometimes...

Apologies if you interepreted that as a shot. Realize stats are valuable but at 0-8. . . . . Cochran passes the eye test.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Apologies if you interepreted that as a shot. Realize stats are valuable but at 0-8. . . . . Cochran passes the eye test.

0-8 or 8-0, it doesn't matter. Stats are the only objective way to look at things. I didn't take your comment as a shot, but you are the second Boneyarder in the last 24 hours to tell me that stats essentially mean nothing. At risk of getting all "Parcells" on the board, you are what your numbers say you are. When someone needs to split hairs within close numbers, then one can feel free to dive into the world of the subjective "eye test". My point was that one could look at Cochran's and Whitmer's numbers and say they are comparable, with the major exception of reps. But one CANNOT say that Boyle's numbers are comparable. He's clearly behind the other two in just about every measurable, including and most especially "results"...

Reaction Score
He hurt his hand....and I saw him throwing 40 yard passes back and forth with Boyle at halftime last night, so... :rolleyes:
It was a minor injury reported by Jeff Jacobs 5 days ago, maybe enough to influence a coaches decision.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
My point was that one could look at Cochran's and Whitmer's numbers and say they are comparable, with the major exception of reps. But one CANNOT say that Boyle's numbers are comparable. He's clearly behind the other two in just about every measurable, including and most especially "results"...
Only difference in stats is reps?? This is what I was talking about with using stats to push your opinion. You do realize Cochran hasn't faced a first team Defense or started a game while Whitmer and Boyle both have. How does that make those stat lines comparable? I'm not arguing with you that stats are important and valid. But to make a claim like you did is wrong and there's no other way around that. Finally, what results have Whitmer and Cochran given that Boyle hasn't? Last I checked the only results that matter are team wins and right now we have ZERO. There's another stat that shows we need to start whoever can help us add a 1 in that column each week. Boyle is not going to help that this season, I agree with that sentiment. However, I don't think Whitmer will either and Cochran, we don't know. So why not go with Cochran for a game. If it doesn't work go back to Whitmer. Stats are great for many things but the way you're saying some of them are not fairly equivalent.

Reaction Score
Only difference in stats is reps?? This is what I was talking about with using stats to push your opinion. You do realize Cochran hasn't faced a first team Defense or started a game while Whitmer and Boyle both have. How does that make those stat lines comparable? I'm not arguing with you that stats are important and valid. But to make a claim like you did is wrong and there's no other way around that. Finally, what results have Whitmer and Cochran given that Boyle hasn't? Last I checked the only results that matter are team wins and right now we have ZERO. There's another stat that shows we need to start whoever can help us add a 1 in that column each week. Boyle is not going to help that this season, I agree with that sentiment. However, I don't think Whitmer will either and Cochran, we don't know. So why not go with Cochran for a game. If it doesn't work go back to Whitmer. Stats are great for many things but the way you're saying some of them are not fairly equivalent.
I say start Cochran simply because he's the best athlete of the three, IMO. Stats be damned, just 2 years ago Johnny McEntee had much better stats than Nike Nebrich. So Paul Pasqualoni, in his infinite wisdom, started McEntee and completely ignored Nebrich the entire season.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

You do realize that Cochran is throwing passes to some second string receivers while second string OL's are blocking for him too, right? I mean, it's not like only the OTHER team is switching out guys when they are up 31-3. Get real.

And wins of course matter. So do TD's. Boyle has zero of them. ZERO. Zip. Zilch. Nada. That's a GIGANTIC stat. Here's another one; he's got 8 interceptions. EIGHT! The problem with Whitmer was always that he threw a few more picks than we could absorb in a game (i.e., Michigan). But Boyle? Brutally worse. Stats tell you that, too.

And finally, and most importantly, I love how you vehemently argue with me, only to end your post with the same conclusion! That Boyle should not be the starter. Good grief...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
We interrupt this meltdown to remind you that the QB position is nowhere near the area in most need of improvement.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
You do realize that Cochran is throwing passes to some second string receivers while second string OL's are blocking for him too, right? I mean, it's not like only the OTHER team is switching out guys when they are up 31-3. Get real.

And wins of course matter. So do TD's. Boyle has zero of them. ZERO. Zip. Zilch. Nada. That's a GIGANTIC stat. Here's another one; he's got 8 interceptions. EIGHT! The problem with Whitmer was always that he threw a few more picks than we could absorb in a game (i.e., Michigan). But Boyle? Brutally worse. Stats tell you that, too.

And finally, and most importantly, I love how you vehemently argue with me, only to end your post with the same conclusion! That Boyle should not be the starter. Good grief...
Dan....relax...I'm not trying to argue your overall statement that Cochran should start or be given the chance to. I was just trying to point out that stats are not the be all end all. Wasn't looking to get into anything with you.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan....relax...I'm not trying to argue your overall statement that Cochran should start or be given the chance to. I was just trying to point out that stats are not the be all end all. Wasn't looking to get into anything with you.

Okay, that's fair. My Boneyard playcalling hasn't been what it used to be, and I'm in the process of developing a young writing system. I spent too much time in a damned "zone writing" scheme. I'll definitely be better next year... ;)

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Casey start the last four games for one other reason. That way, next year's coach has four games of film on all three QBs to evaluate. Then, let the best man win.

RedSoloCup

2 golf tournaments...
Reaction Score
I would like Casey to get at least the entire second half of the next game. I like Boyle as our future, the red-shirt is gone for the year so get starts and experience as much as he can in this sh@t-storm of a season.

Then have Casey come in and run the show, have Boyle learn from his poise, etc. If Casey can run (and win) the second half, which usually starts with first stringers playing, then give him the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
I would like Casey to get at least the entire second half of the next game. I like Boyle as our future, the red-shirt is gone for the year so get starts and experience as much as he can in this sh@t-storm of a season.

Then have Casey come in and run the show, have Boyle learn from his poise, etc. If Casey can run (and win) the second half, which usually starts with first stringers playing, then give him the rest of the season.

Casey needs to keys in the first half. If he is playing well, it will energize the rest of the team and help propel them. There is no reason to keep giving Casey a chance when the game is decided. He makes quick reads and throws accurate passes. Let's see if that can get us a win rather than seeing if it can get us a garbage time TD.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If someone could start a new thread just for fun, with the three (or I suppose, four) choices for QB for the next game as a voting button thread, I would be interested to see what many of the anonymous Boneyarders think. I would do it myself, but even after all this time, I haven't figured out how to post a survey... :oops:

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
If someone could start a new thread just for fun, with the three (or I suppose, four) choices for QB for the next game as a voting button thread, I would be interested to see what many of the anonymous Boneyarders think. I would do it myself, but even after all this time, I haven't figured out how to post a survey... :oops:
Consider it done. Good idea btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate