Staley Suggests she landed another one | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Staley Suggests she landed another one

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
No you're right. SC needs(ed) Williams way more than UConn. But not only does UConn need ONO more than SC, UConn's style of play fits ONO better than perhaps any WCBB team.

As for A'ja, Dawn likes to put her at the high post and use her passing skills, as a decoy, and to take advantage of her shot from there. Not on the right, left or arc perimeter, where ONO would find a home at UConn. Her emerging game mimics Pheese's, and UConn's movement oriented offense would better suit ONO's skillset and body type.

Are we talking about the same Olivia Nelson-Ododa? Napheesa Collier is a stretch-four with supreme versatility. There is nothing about Nelson-Ododa’s game that alludes to her being the kind of player Collier is. She may occasionally stretch a defense to the arc but not enough to have her “home” be the perimeter. She’s a finesse player yes.. but finesse doesn’t always equal a perimeter player. It’s interesting you think her home is going to be on the perimeter at UConn.. that seems like a direct contrast to her strengths, which are her skills to finesse and beat opposing inside players with quickness around the basket.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And when Collier came to UConn NO ONE saw her as a stretch 4. NO ONE. The part of her game developed because of her
Are we talking about the same Olivia Nelson-Ododa? Napheesa Collier is a stretch-four with supreme versatility. There is nothing about Nelson-Ododa’s game that alludes to her being the kind of player Collier is. She may occasionally stretch a defense to the arc but not enough to have her “home” be the perimeter. She’s a finesse player yes.. but finesse doesn’t always equal a perimeter player. It’s interesting you think her home is going to be on the perimeter at UConn.. that seems like a direct contrast to her strengths, which are her skills to finesse and beat opposing inside players with quickness around the basket.
And when Collier came out of HS NO ONE saw her as a stretch 4. NO ONE. That part of her game came about because of her willingness to work hard at her shot. Coming out of HS she was seen as a smart, finesse player and a good rebounder who was always around the ball. Sound familiar?

JordyG

Reaction Score
And we just may this year. No OT if a game gets to that point...clear the court and let Mulkey and Aston take the floor.
Well, you know I've always had a positive attitude toward those 2 teams. Sounds like the proper evolution of WCBB in the great state of Texas to me. I have Karen getting in some good shots early with a near tapout. I've Kim coming on late in a slugfest. Man, I'm serious. I'd PAY to see that.

And I never said ONO's home would be outside. Neither is Collier's, whose bread and butter is inside.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So much fun to have the Baylor class set and ranked number 1 by HoopGurlz (for now) and watch UCONN and SC squabble over the remaining top recruits.
Almost as much fun for us to have Baylor miss out on one NC after another since 2012 while UCONN has won 4 in that time frame.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
They get lucky that MSU knocks out their Kyptonite and then they get awfully cocky and disrespectful.
First off, show a little respect, SC is a good program and has earned everything they got. Second, the same snarky comment could be made about how UConn got lucky when Louiseville knocked off Baylor. I haven’t seen anything disrespectful post, a bit of fun and bravado maybe. You want snarky, rudeness and obnoxious forum behavior- go to VolNation, that’s disrespectful. Be courteous and have fun here, it’s an enjoyment forum.:cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I' m not sure you have Collier pegged correctly the supreme versatility part is correct but the stretch 4 is not. Collier attempted 51 3Pt FG last year in 37 games and shot 43% that is good enough to keep the defense honest. The things that are comparable in their games is the superior mobility, length, quickness and the uncanny knack to position the bodies just right to make a shot or receive the ball. ONO is also a pogo stick quick type of jumper which is something I don't think any player is going to be able to match. Collier separates herself with shooting accuracy.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
I' m not sure you have Collier pegged correctly the supreme versatility part is correct but the stretch 4 is not. Collier attempted 51 3Pt FG last year in 37 games and shot 43% that is good enough to keep the defense honest. The things that are comparable in their games is the superior mobility, length, quickness and the uncanny knack to position the bodies just right to make a shot or receive the ball. ONO is also a pogo stick quick type of jumper which is something I don't think any player is going to be able to match. Collier separates herself with shooting accuracy.

You know a lot, and I respect your opinion more than most. Answer this. Do you think Nelson-Ododa is a perimeter player at UConn?

Not a player that occasionally hits from deep (a Tuck) but an actual perimeter player, like (Stewart/Stevens).. because her high school career/USAB history doesn’t allude to that. Sure, you can always develop your game into more (as I’ve been made aware of with Collier) than your position requires... but a perimeter player? I don’t see Geno taking her out of strength and making the perimeter her “home”...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
You know a lot, and I respect your opinion more than most. Answer this. Do you think Nelson-Ododa is a perimeter player at UConn?

Not a player that occasionally hits from deep (a Tuck) but an actual perimeter player, like (Stewart/Stevens).. because her high school career/USAB history doesn’t allude to that. Sure, you can always develop your game into more (as I’ve been made aware of with Collier) than your position requires... but a perimeter player? I don’t see Geno taking her out of strength and making the perimeter her “home”...
No , I don't believe ONO will be a perimeter player at UCONN. But if anyone can prove me wrong (again) it would be Geno. ONO has a very intriguing skill set and I don't see her making a home in the post exclusively at UCONN either.

JordyG

Reaction Score

I don't know. I think I should apologize for my phrasing. I meant that ONO would find a home at UConn and in a motion offense. Not that she would exclusively live on the perimeter. If that's how I came across, if that's what everyone interprets, then my language was woefully inadequate. I also meant in many ways her game mimics Collier's, and development on the perimeter is within ONO's skillset. Hopefully I've been clearer this time.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And when Collier came out of HS NO ONE saw her as a stretch 4. NO ONE. That part of her game came about because of her willingness to work hard at her shot. Coming out of HS she was seen as a smart, finesse player and a good rebounder who was always around the ball. Sound familiar?

You should find some of my observations about her. :)

I didn't use the term stretch-4, but she could hit almost anything by her junior year in high school.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Went back and checked a couple of ONO's high school highlights and was pleasantly surprised to find out she has a very nice looking 3 ball. Also just realized that I may have missed the most important comparison of ONO to Napheesa-the motor. Both players are constantly moving and the movement is very efficient in that they always seem to be improving their position on the floor. When Napheesa was coming up some people (me and others) used to say the ball finds her too often for it to be a coincidence & ONO has that same motor.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
You should find some of my observations about her. :)

I didn't use the term stretch-4, but she could hit almost anything by her junior year in high school.
Sluconn, I don't know what games you were watching, but Collier rarely shot from outside in high school. I saw most of her games her sophomore through senior years except for the national games she played. Her high school coach played her mostly inside the same way he is playing Ricky Woltmann now. Collier could out jump most players she played against and rarely needed to shoot from outside. I remember thinking that she needed to develop a mid range game in order to excel in college. Her Hoopgurlz profile said the same thing. Also, I stated in her freshman year that she could do the same things inside that Gabby could do and you said that was not true. Or maybe you said she could not jump with Gabby, which is true, but she can rebound with her. Further, if you live in St. Louis will you be attending Incarnate Word's games this season? They should win the State Tournament for the second straight year.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Sluconn, I don't know what games you were watching, but Collier rarely shot from outside in high school. I saw most of her games her sophomore through senior years except for the national games she played. Her high school coach played her mostly inside the same way he is playing Ricky Woltmann now. Collier could out jump most players she played against and rarely needed to shoot from outside. I remember thinking that she needed to develop a mid range game in order to excel in college.

Her midrange game was awesome long before arriving in Storrs. She rarely took threes but her shot looked really good when she did both at IW and with the USA teams.

One of my posts:

She took and hit one three and hit another shot where her foot must've touched the line. She hit a couple of baseline jumpers and missed a jumper from the elbow. She's terrific from 15 feet and in; great hands, and she's also adept at using the glass to make shots.

Napheesa Collier wins everything

An evaluation from Blue Star:

A versatile athletic big is always a commodity and 6-2 Napheesa Collier, who hails from O'Fallon, Missouri ,think it’s a safe bet that she will fit in nicely at UCONN. The 2015 Collier has a long athletic college body. She rebounds the ball at highest point, runs the floor and finishes well in the paint. Collier has a nice midrange shot that extends out beyond the arc to go along with a low post and face up game. She dominated at both ends of the court from start to finish. Looking forward to seeing how well her game translates and evolves at the next level.

http://www.bluestarmedia.org/index.php/component/k2/item/912-texas-two-step

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
An evaluation from Blue Star:

A versatile athletic big is always a commodity and 6-2 Napheesa Collier, who hails from O'Fallon, Missouri ,think it’s a safe bet that she will fit in nicely at UCONN. The 2015 Collier has a long athletic college body. She rebounds the ball at highest point, runs the floor and finishes well in the paint. Collier has a nice midrange shot that extends out beyond the arc to go along with a low post and face up game. She dominated at both ends of the court from start to finish. Looking forward to seeing how well her game translates and evolves at the next level.

I'd say that Pheesa's game has translated and evolved nicely. :D

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Taking a long view.

Dawn is going to get terrific players
She's defending National Champion
She's Olympic coach

Players will flock
Get used to it.

Still, doesn't mean they'll beat us. :)

Reaction Score
Taking a long view.

She's Olympic coach

Players will flock
Get used to it.

that's as long as she brings home that gold medal...... one loss and she's in trouble.......talk about pressure

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Taking a long view.

She's Olympic coach

Players will flock
Get used to it.

Was that a haiku attempt?

Taking a long view.
Dawn is going to get players
She's Olympic coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I remember thinking that she needed to develop a mid range game in order to excel in college. Her Hoopgurlz profile said the same thing. Also, I stated in her freshman year that she could do the same things inside that Gabby could do and you said that was not true. Or maybe you said she could not jump with Gabby, which is true, but she can rebound with her. Further, if you live in St. Louis will you be attending Incarnate Word's games this season? They should win the State Tournament for the second straight year.

Her midrange game was awesome long before arriving in Storrs. She rarely took threes but her shot looked really good when she did both at IW and with the USA teams.

I'd say that Pheesa's game has translated and evolved nicely. :D

If you put a timeline on the events you will find that you are all correct.
@donalddoowop that hoopgurlz evaluation was from December 2013.
napheesa-collier

@Sluconn Husky those USA teams were July 2015
ELEVENTH FIBA U19 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP -- 2015

@MilfordHusky you are speaking in the present November 2017 and I agree Napheesa has developed pretty nicely over the last 4 years.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'd prefer mud wrestling.
Sorry, but I want to see some real, authentic kicks and punches landed. Some elbows, knees and chokes too.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
And when Collier came out of HS NO ONE saw her as a stretch 4. NO ONE. That part of her game came about because of her willingness to work hard at her shot. Coming out of HS she was seen as a smart, finesse player and a good rebounder who was always around the ball.

Jordyg, with all due respect, this is NOT true.

This was Dan Olson's last evaluation of Collier (from the fall of 2014, her HS senior year):
Long, athletic perimeter threat with emerging range to the arc; wingspan with length on perimeter handles in transition; versatile defender, catches and finishes in traffic; off-the-charts potential.
Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

This was Prospect Nations commentary/evaluation notes from autumn 2013:
The game continues to grow in terms of the size and versatility of players, especially at the forward positions. No. 4 Napheesha Collier of O’Fallon, Mo., No. 2 Katie Lou Samuelson of Fullerton, Calif., and No. 5 Jessica Shepard of Lincoln, Neb., all have displayed the skill sets to play multiple positions on the offensive end of the floor. At the same time, they have the size and length of prospects who have typically been pigeonholed as strictly back-to-basket post players. As the women’s game continues to get more television time, we expect this trend to become more of the norm.
2015 Rankings Roundtable Part I | Prospects Nation

JordyG

Reaction Score
Jordyg, with all due respect, this is NOT true.

This was Dan Olson's last evaluation of Collier (from the fall of 2014, her HS senior year):
Long, athletic perimeter threat with emerging range to the arc; wingspan with length on perimeter handles in transition; versatile defender, catches and finishes in traffic; off-the-charts potential.
Dan Olson Collegiate Girls Basketball Report

This was Prospect Nations commentary/evaluation notes from autumn 2013:
The game continues to grow in terms of the size and versatility of players, especially at the forward positions. No. 4 Napheesha Collier of O’Fallon, Mo., No. 2 Katie Lou Samuelson of Fullerton, Calif., and No. 5 Jessica Shepard of Lincoln, Neb., all have displayed the skill sets to play multiple positions on the offensive end of the floor. At the same time, they have the size and length of prospects who have typically been pigeonholed as strictly back-to-basket post players. As the women’s game continues to get more television time, we expect this trend to become more of the norm.
2015 Rankings Roundtable Part I | Prospects Nation
I never saw Olson's last report, only the ones from 2013 which pointedly talk about her need to develop a shot for the next level. In the PN report there is no mention of her having even an emerging range to the arc. That both ONO and Collier have the athleticism to develop such skills is undeniable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom