Staley Suggests she landed another one | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Staley Suggests she landed another one

Reaction Score
Saxton is very underrated. Dominated the EYBL this summer leading her team Elite team to back to back titles. She out hustled, scored, and rebounded players like Shakira Austin, Sedona Prince, Charli Collier, and Aquira DeCosta. Really the crown jewel of the class and loves to play above the rim. True sleeper!

She is a freak athletically! She may be one of the few players to rival Gabby Williams athleticism.

Reaction Score
Lol, paranoid much?

Geesh, relax. The Gamecocks (and really when you think about it, who the heck decided putting "game" and "cocks" together would make a fine team nickname) are reigning national champions. Life should be good for you right now.

Aside the BY: Aren't NC newbies adorable? They just don't seem to know what to do with themselves. Well I guess it's like anything. You get better at it with practice.

Trophy140925b015.jpg

Hmm. There's a scene that could use a reshoot. With a non-decrepit roof this time.

Reaction Score
The Gamecocks (and really when you think about it, who the heck decided putting "game" and "cocks" together would make a fine team nickname)
Truly funny and something that, from time to time, every sports fan everywhere has wondered about but was afraid to ask. A gamecock is another name for a rooster in a cockfight. Specifically to South Carolina, here's wikipedia:
The South Carolina Gamecocks represent the University of South Carolina in the NCAA Division I. This unique moniker is held in honor of Thomas Sumter, a Revolutionary War hero from South Carolina who was nicknamed the "Carolina Gamecock" after British General Banastre Tarleton said Sumter "fought like a gamecock." WHAT? why are you laughing at this picture????
lE9cgM4.jpg

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
It was between us and SC with Saxton. I was pretty sure when I saw that tweet last night it was IRT Saxton. I see someone has confirmed it. Nice get. I will be interested in watching her develop.
HoopGurlz is listing Saxton as in the South Carolina fold.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Personally I have no issue with Dawn tweeting. Of course it it was regarding Williams, UCONN fans would be disappointed (and probably filled with a few other emotions I won't mention). Glad to see it was Saxton. With regards to the folks who said ONO wouldn't go where Saxton went - why? Saxton is only 6'2" and is a forward, while ONO is 6'4" and much higher rated (Saxton is 50 on HG). Either way I'm nervous but cautiously optimistic for Williams decision Friday...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Saxton is very underrated. Dominated the EYBL this summer leading her team Elite team to back to back titles. She out hustled, scored, and rebounded players like Shakira Austin, Sedona Prince, Charli Collier, and Aquira DeCosta. Really the crown jewel of the class and loves to play above the rim. True sleeper!

Every recruit is "underrated" on signing day.

Reaction Score
She's always been underrated by (hoop gurlz). Prospects Nation knows her potential. She should be a McD AA but it remains to be seen if she will.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Funny how that happens.
Totally true. It very may well be true. We all know Alana Beard was woefully underrated in the recruiting rankings coming out of high school and there are numerous cases of kids being rated too high who just didn't develop and other kids being lower who ended up being much better. I don't know how much "better" than 50 she is. She IS #25 per PN but that's the only other service I have access to...

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She's always been underrated by (hoop gurlz). Prospects Nation knows her potential. She should be a McD AA but it remains to be seen if she will.

Snark aside, I know what you mean. Jordan Nixon slid down ESPN's rankings to #59 in their last update (despite her latest written eval calling her an "elite back court prospect"). Meanwhile PN ranks her #16. So of course, I'm sitting here thinking "PN is probably right and ESPN is underrating her".

It's the beauty of signing day - until proven otherwise we can dream that all our favorite team's players will exceed expectations.

Reaction Score
Just registering once again my sadness that many athletes have very public signing days, which distinguishes them from all the other kids who go to college, who just quietly send in their deposits. (Or did I miss the physics professors at MIT doing a high five after recruiting next year's genius?) And then we wonder why recruited athletes often don't integrate fully into the student body.

Reaction Score
somehow I don't see Geno ever crowing like that..could be either CW or ONO...if it makes you feel any better Kenny Kalina says CW is headed to UConn..
\

You are correct Geno and Christine would not CROW like that, maybe growl a little. I see nothing unseemly or improper or non professional in the tweet. She is working to keep the momentum of her last Year's NC victory and to keep those fans in seats. WCBB is no longer just about games--it is about filling seats and winning BIG. Even Geno saw empty seats in the down year or two that he had.
I cannot condemn any coach for being his or her team's cheerleader. The wording was not offensive.

Reaction Score
Just registering once again my sadness that many athletes have very public signing days, which distinguishes them from all the other kids who go to college, who just quietly send in their deposits. (Or did I miss the physics professors at MIT doing a high five after recruiting next year's genius?) And then we wonder why recruited athletes often don't integrate fully into the student body.

Again you are on the right side of the discussion. But I must admit that I saw Calculus Profs in MIT doing the Hi Five when they won that Calculus National Championship!
I agree the decorum of some is less than I, at times, see proper. But this is a new phenomenon of Elite players along with the instant media coverage sometimes makes the old quiet kitchen signing look pc and proper. Think of where they started and where they are today!! The smart athletes do integrate, we have seen Uconn Women working along side of their fellow students--too many places to list.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Fans?

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Personally I have no issue with Dawn tweeting. Of course it it was regarding Williams, UCONN fans would be disappointed (and probably filled with a few other emotions I won't mention). Glad to see it was Saxton. With regards to the folks who said ONO wouldn't go where Saxton went - why? Saxton is only 6'2" and is a forward, while ONO is 6'4" and much higher rated (Saxton is 50 on HG). Either way I'm nervous but cautiously optimistic for Williams decision Friday...

If anything, it’s a positive for Nelson-Ododa, who likes to move around the floor. Saxton doesn’t stretch the floor as much as Nelson-Ododa... having Saxton would allow you to also move ONO away from the basket occasionally.. we could use them interchangeably at the 4 and 5.

Reaction Score
If anything, it’s a positive for Nelson-Ododa, who likes to move around the floor. Saxton doesn’t stretch the floor as much as Nelson-Ododa... having Saxton would allow you to also move ONO away from the basket occasionally.. we could use them interchangeably at the 4 and 5.

Their games are very similar. Both are finesse 5s, that are really athletic, run the floor well, block shots, and rebound. Nelson-Ododa is definitely the more polished player but neither of them currently have the offensive range needed to hurt you from outside 15 feet. Saxton is a freak athlete that makes up for her 6'2 height with great leaping ability. She is a little raw offensively, but the talent is certainly there.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Truly funny and something that, from time to time, every sports fan everywhere has wondered about but was afraid to ask. A gamecock is another name for a rooster in a cockfight. Specifically to South Carolina, here's wikipedia:
The South Carolina Gamecocks represent the University of South Carolina in the NCAA Division I. This unique moniker is held in honor of Thomas Sumter, a Revolutionary War hero from South Carolina who was nicknamed the "Carolina Gamecock" after British General Banastre Tarleton said Sumter "fought like a gamecock." WHAT? why are you laughing at this picture????
View attachment 26005
I'd
Sorry, at UConn there would absolutely be no one projected in front of her in her sophomore year. Besides, at her size, free movement away from the basket? You must be talking Geno, not Dawn. SEC philosophy demands that size plays primarily down low.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Since ONO did not play last year due to injury, I can only evaluate her by what I saw during her sophomore season. While she is athletic and runs the court exceptionally well, almost all of ONO’s scoring was 5 ft and in. Hopefully she will be able to extend her range, but that’s not something I’ve seen so far.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Sorry, at UConn there would absolutely be no one projected in front of her in her sophomore year. Besides, at her size, free movement away from the basket? You must be talking Geno, not Dawn. SEC philosophy demands that size plays primarily down low.

Dawn moves A’ja around way more than most schools would move around a 6’5” PF/C. I think Nelson-Ododa has that same ability, especially later in her college career. She’s not a finished product offensively. Of course Olivia would mostly play down low at SC, but we have enough versatility at PF/C on campus now and coming that she doesn’t have to live there.

The only competition for minutes at SC for Olivia after her freshman year would be LaDazhia Williams. But I am aware that CT needs her. I think SC needs Williams more than CT, but I’m sure you probably have a contrasting opinion on that as well..

Reaction Score
Because, as my wife repeatedly reminds me, I am fundamentally clueless by nature, I suppose that it's unsurprising that there's an awful lot I just don't "get" when it comes to some of our discussions on this forum. Chief among those issues that leave me perplexed has to do with successful recruiting efforts by other top programs in WCBB. It's not just that the game would be terminally boring if our favorite team swept the table of top recruits each year (does pretty damned well as it is!), but why the animus directed at certain programs in particular? And, most especially, why any disdain toward Dawn, of all people? Please, please, before you start referencing attributes like the "brashness" of her personality, her self-confidence, her putative "arrogance," be aware that, in response, I'm going to point out some striking similarities to another coach with whom we're VERY familiar. Dawn's been an unalloyed asset to WCBB at every level, including especially taking over a mediocre program at USC, talking the talk, and subsequently walking the proverbial walk. Since she learned so much of her craft at Geno's knee, who better positioned to applaud that accomplishment than we? And if the end result is a more feverish rivalry between our favorite program and hers, is that a bad thing? Not to me!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Dawn moves A’ja around way more than most schools would move around a 6’5” PF/C. I think Nelson-Ododa has that same ability, especially later in her college career. She’s not a finished product offensively. Of course Olivia would mostly play down low at SC, but we have enough versatility at PF/C on campus now and coming that she doesn’t have to live there.

The only competition for minutes at SC for Olivia after her freshman year would be LaDazhia Williams. But I am aware that CT needs her. I think SC needs Williams more than CT, but I’m sure you probably have a contrasting opinion on that as well..
No you're right. SC needs(ed) Williams way more than UConn. But not only does UConn need ONO more than SC, UConn's style of play fits ONO better than perhaps any WCBB team.

As for A'ja, Dawn likes to put her at the high post and use her passing skills, as a decoy, and to take advantage of her shot from there. Not on the right, left or arc perimeter, where ONO would find a home at UConn. Her emerging game mimics Pheese's, and UConn's movement oriented offense would better suit ONO's skillset and body type.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
So much fun to have the Baylor class set and ranked number 1 by HoopGurlz (for now) and watch UCONN and SC squabble over the remaining top recruits.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom