St. Mary's Post Game Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

St. Mary's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay I will say it no way we win if Ducas doesn’t go down
9B992217-87ED-4100-BD0C-2DE97B23E2DE.jpeg

Reaction Score
Exactly. We just can't have these no show first halfs from him going forward. He wasn't guarding and had no points again. He turned into a flame thrower during that stretch in the second half and then his D picked up. He needs to bring that energy the whole game and the shots will fall throughout the game. He's going to have Jordan Walsh on him next game who is an awesome defender with Jackson type athleticism and length.

Can't have a no show in the first half again from Hawk and Jackson.
You could see it right off the bat with unforced turnover, At the very least he needs to be a decoy and defend in the early going.

Reaction Score
Once again, superb coaching by Hurley in the 2nd half. Wore them out physically and the defense stepped up. Took advantage of our size in the middle on offense and on the boards.

Should be a great game against Arkansas. They are high energy and well-coached. Plus, they have an extra day rest given the Thursday time slot. But, we should prevail and setup an elite, Elite 8 matchup against UCLA I predict!
I like the one less day of rest.. We dont need rest here.

Reaction Score
Exactly. We just can't have these no show first halfs from him going forward. He wasn't guarding and had no points again. He turned into a flame thrower during that stretch in the second half and then his D picked up. He needs to bring that energy the whole game and the shots will fall throughout the game. He's going to have Jordan Walsh on him next game who is an awesome defender with Jackson type athleticism and length.

Can't have a no show in the first half again from Hawk and Jackson.
There is less movement from him in these opening halves- not sure what it is, but I see him a lot kind of just standing in the corner. Even that pulls one defender away from the action and can open it up for others, but I'd like to see him more active. Still, he has been able to come alive in the 2nd half, and he can get a shot off in a flash.

Reaction Score
That was a very good team. Ducas going out was the turning point in this game. I feel like we dodged a bullet. It's is the kind of luck you sometimes need to survive and advance. But give us credit. We used the luck to step on their throat. We might have won anyway, happy we didn't have to find out.

The good news is that we are winning playing different styles of play. Arkansas will be more like Iona but more athletic. But let's drink for a few days first.

Reaction Score
Get a load of Randy Bennett full court pressing v. walk-ons. Don’t extend this game too long you’ll miss your flight you bum.
I thought it was totally classless. Go out with some dignity. Hurley put in the end of the bench guys and walk-ons and your response is to press them down 15 with 20 seconds left. Really? Totally unnecssary, totally foolish. Then he gave Hurley the blow-by in the handshake line too boot. Enjoy the flight home!

caw

Reaction Score
Which I thought was weird. In the first half we didn’t even battle for offensive boards. We retreated off of shots instead of crashing the boards

St. Mary's did a great job of blocking out, but they also sometimes ride players a bit without even attempting for the rebound. I was surprised they weren't called for a foul a few times there.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
I knew it. Andre DOES have eyes in the back of his head!

caw

Reaction Score
That was a very good team. Ducas going out was the turning point in this game. I feel like we dodged a bullet. It's is the kind of luck you sometimes need to survive and advance. But give us credit. We used the luck to step on their throat. We might have won anyway, happy we didn't have to find out.

The good news is that we are winning playing different styles of play. Arkansas will be more like Iona but more athletic. But let's drink for a few days first.

It definitely helped, but it was a 1-3 point game at that point after UConn had just weathered their hot start.

Reaction Score
He is. We might have the second best big man too. Clingan is my player of the game. Great minutes in the first half when we were struggling and then he completely changed the game in the second half. They were getting rim runs and then Clingan shut everything down and we got out and ran and drained shots. St. Mary's was terrified near the basket after that.
I could not agree more. Clingan was spectacular on the defensive end and rebounding especially 2nd half. He single-handledly changed the game defeinsively when he came in. Kudos to Sanogo as well. He came to play both rounds and was extremely efficient offensively.

Reaction Score
Which I thought was weird. In the first half we didn’t even battle for offensive boards. We retreated off of shots instead of crashing the boards
While we're 1st in the country at getting offensive rebounds at 38.8%, St Mary's is 2nd in this stat on the defensive side at 21.9%. I wonder if it was an intentional strategy or just a battle of 2 elite groups that St Mary's won

Reaction Score
It definitely helped, but it was a 1-3 point game at that point after UConn had just weathered their hot start.
St Mary’s not having any depth even with a healthy Ducas wasn’t going to hurt them we saw it in the 1st half with our bench.

Reaction Score
I also want to mention that a deep run can lead to surprise recruit commitments. DeAndre Daniels come to mind. Getting the nation's eyes on you can bear fruit.

Reaction Score
Arkansas is in a good place. Sweet 16. Expected underdog. Already have the experience of playing arguably the best team in the country in Alabama a couple times. We saw what playing loose does for teams ( "hello Kansas State" ). No games are easy at this point. New unfamiliar location. UConn will need to continue to play well, and perhaps better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom