St. Mary's Post Game Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

St. Mary's Post Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Part of the reason why we’re so talented is that Hurley is an elite recruiter and program builder. So instead of saying “yeah he better win” you should be giving him a lot of credit for picking the players and winning with them
And guys like Sanogo, Karaban, Clingan outperforming expectations based on their recruiting profile. Hurley deserves credit for putting the pieces together.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He didn't score and took some bad 3's, but he still played 18 minutes in the 1st half and had 2 rebounds, 4 assists, 0 turnovers. It's also not a coincidence he played well in the 2nd half and the game got out of hand
Much better in the second half. His poor shooting decisions were a problem early and he needed to be subbed out much earlier. He took the bait again. He’s so much better when he plays within himself and doesn’t try to do too much.

Reaction Score
I don’t think a program of UConn’s stature should ever hand out a “lifetime contract”. Unless your name is Jim Calhoun or Geno
You want your coaches to stay hungry, like the Hungry Huskies.

Reaction Score
I just want to say this, I was critical of Hurley during the January skid. Not to the extremes of some people here, but I would bring up his record in close games. I don’t even care about that stuff anymore. This guy can flat out coach. I’m writing those losses off as bad luck/a curse/bad juju or whatever.

I’ve always maintained that I want him to be THE guy here, and this season has cemented that for me. 4 more wins to immortality. Lead us to the promised land, Coach.

Reaction Score
FD8ABF45-F553-4D60-8819-00F490CB4843.jpeg

Reaction Score
Great win. Lost our way early by settling for 3s and some sloppy TOs and 2 quick fouls by Hawkins. Bench came in and settled things down, and Newton made some clutch 3s. I loved how we full court pressured early to tire their team. St Mary’s is a scrappy team that fights for every rebound and lose ball. They were a little slower in 2nd half as a result. In the second half we kept feeding Sanogo, and he shot a high percentage 11-16. Hawkins showed real maturity and poise shaking off bad 1st half and creating the separation in second half with hot shooting. ST Mary’s is not a team you want to get into a one possession game with. It was mandatory to crack it open and UConn did. Great coaching, great effort by the whole team… loving the deep bench.

Reaction Score
It’s amazing seeing Adama in the postgame. I remember his freshman year clearly struggling with understanding postgame questions and frustrated with the language barrier. Testimate to his work ethic. What a truly amazing experience getting to see the young man grow. Having an all time Huskies NCAA performance, let’s keep it going!
yeah, and keep in mind, he knows 4 languages. If didn't have a basketball career to look forward to, which he obviously does, he could get a job in the United Nations, or in a lot of places, knowing English, French, and Arabic. Same with OMax Prosper knowing English, Spanish, French, and Creole.

Reaction Score
Very surprised St Mary's didn't attempt to double Sanogo. Get him to force it against double teams. Instead they allowed to operate 1 on 1 much of the night. As much space I've seen Sanogo given in a while.

Reaction Score
Very surprised St Mary's didn't attempt to double Sanogo. Get him to force it against double teams. Instead they allowed to operate 1 on 1 much of the night. As much space I've seen Sanogo given in a while.
yes and no. They really pride themselves on not giving up 3s.

Reaction Score
St Mary’s not having any depth even with a healthy Ducas wasn’t going to hurt them we saw it in the 1st half with our bench.

this is the 1st competitive game i’ve seen another team just get worn down.

caw

Reaction Score
So, UConn's closest OOC game this year was OKST, in a win by ten. I like these OOC games.

Reaction Score
Bro, just enjoy the win my goodness. People are going to say he didn’t change anything other than play clignan more than 4 minutes. Clingan changed the game in the second half. They’re going to say if he pulls this stuff again Arkansas is going to have a layup line

Enjoy the win.
I thought he was great tonight. Went to Clingan despite Sanogo dominating in the block because of 1) defense and 2) they can run their full offense (no constant dump downs)...giving Hawkins,.Newton and our other perimeter guya shots. The kill shot run was with Clingan.

I liked going to Joey C early. This was a game that he could play in without being exposed. I would have taken him out down the stretch of the first half and inserted Alleyne. Hawk has 2. Joey C couldn't pick up his third.

As for Thursday night. Coach Hurley should work a zone into the game plan. Arkansas is Uber athletic, but they cannot shoot.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
They do but they get to the rim better than anyone we’ve played. We can’t hard hedge with Sanogo or leave him to guard the rim

Enjoy the win.

First team to ever beat two Gaels in one tourney!!!! Historic!!!!!!

St. Patrick s Day Weekend Massacre

That was deeply satisfying.

Also struck me as a bit much to be pressing with 7 seconds left and down 15, but whatever.

Yeah, but we broke the press completely, and then dribbled out the clock, which also was satisfying.

Our bigs have been DONINANT

...well, maybe not precisely.

Tomorrow
..it's always a day away
No, you're right. The middle of the season never happened.
Meaning what? Please choose your words with care; I might have missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom