St John’s post game thread (merged thread) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

St John’s post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She has learned Geno’s “read and react” system wouldn’t you say? She got starter’s minutes because of players going down in front of her. She leads the team in scoring and (bless her) is not afraid to shoot. I’d say she’s learned his system pretty good.
You are correct, Caroline has learned Geno's system quite well as a freshman. I am wondering what has taken some of the rest so long to figure it out.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a tough call to decide who is more valuable right now. Liv or Caroline. Liv's defensive value is huge for this team and we need the high point efficiency, the rebounds and assists as well. Zero doubt that Liv is a 1st round pick at this point in the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Good game by an understaffed squad. But SC by 14.
That would be a smaller MOV than the first time the Huskies played the Gamecocks with Paige, Christyn & Azzi in the lineup.

Reaction Score
They’re kids, not pros. Let me let you in on a little secret. UConn, like every other team, has flaws and is not perfect. They are going to throw the ball away, make mistakes and even miss layups. The team is getting better and the kids are learning and doing the best they can.
I understand that they’re not Pros.
LSU lost to unranked FLA today due to , in large part, to their 19 turnovers.
You’re whistling past the graveyard if you don’t think retaining/protecting the ball is the key to winning.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You’re whistling past the graveyard if you don’t think retaining/protecting the ball is the key to winning.
I thought they won today :rolleyes:

What happens today doesn’t mean it won‘t happen in the next game. The Huskies had 10 TOS last game and 16 today. I don’t think that means anything except they had 16 TOS today. It certainly doesn’t mean they’ll have 16 vs So Carolina

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
That would be a smaller MOV than the first time the Huskies played the Gamecocks with Paige, Christyn & Azzi in the lineup.
I understand your point, and as much as I hate discussing the SC game in a post game thread, Azzi didn't score in the SC game while playing 10 minutes. So she had no effect on the MOV is all my point is.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Some of the posts in here make it so difficult not to personally attack the poster.
However, always striving to remain on HuskyNan's good side, I will not.
BTW, your outfit looks great today, Nan!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
LSU lost today, in a larger part, because FLA scored more points. Fact.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why should it have been a blowout? St. John's has good players and one of the best in the BE. UConn's offense has been struggling and will continue to struggle. You probably need to lower your expectations until everyone gets back and even then, temper them. UConn's offense and turnovers will continue to hinder them from being the team we love to see.
3 reasons:
  1. SJU is the 3rd worst team in the big east and is on an 8 game losing streak
  2. SJU just lost to Seton Hall, a team UCONN walloped 2 days ago
  3. Doesn't seem unfair to expect the team to build off the excellent all around game on Friday leading up to SC on Thursday. Instead it felt like a step backwards.
Sure - a win on the road. But given who the opponent was, we shouldn't have "only" been up 8 about 2 minutes into Q4

Reaction Score
I thought they won today :rolleyes:

What happens today doesn’t mean it won‘t happen in the next game. The Huskies had 10 TOS last game and 16 today. I don’t think that means anything except they had 16 TOS today. It certainly doesn’t mean they’ll have 16 vs So Carolina
Yes they won.
They looked fair against 5-12 St John’s team.
If that is where the bar has been lowered to, who am I to argue?
Injuries, short bench, sure.
5-12 St John’s.
Dancing the Limbo here...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Playing St. John’s at their gym, one should never expect a blowout. They appeared to be a much better team than Seton Hall.
Not sure at all how you figure how SJU must be better. They literally lost to Seton Hall 4 days ago. Granted it was a close game but still, they lost by 5.

I get if you mean they seemed to play us better, but our defense was just not nearly as good as it was against Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
3 reasons:
  1. SJU is the 3rd worst team in the big east and is on an 8 game losing streak
  2. SJU just lost to Seton Hall, a team UCONN walloped 2 days ago
  3. Doesn't seem unfair to expect the team to build off the excellent all around game on Friday leading up to SC on Thursday. Instead it felt like a step backwards.
Sure - a win on the road. But given who the opponent was, we shouldn't have "only" been up 8 about 2 minutes into Q4
Sorry, but the score at the end of Q4 is the one that matters. :cool:;);)

Reaction Score
Just to say hats off to those of you who see a group of 18-22 year olds, not professionals, playing in different circumstance than they imagined at the beginning of the summer, with different lineups than they practiced with, and in different positions than their strengths would normally put them in. Those of you who see improvement when it’s there. Who, as a fan, always ask for effort and try to see the big picture. Who recognize that a particular player may not have the ability or the mental aptitude to do what some expect they should and just ask that they play to their strengths. Who take the time to try and grasp the pressure kids who play college ball in general and at UConn in particular are under. Yes, it’s only a game and there shouldn’t be that kind of pressure. But there is. Anyway, I’m glad there seem to be more of you than there are those who seem to be looking for flawlessness and criticize when they don't see it. All from the comfort of their couch.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not sure at all how you figure how SJU must be better. They literally lost to Seton Hall 4 days ago. Granted it was a close game but still, they lost by 5.

I get if you mean they seemed to play us better, but our defense was just not nearly as good as it was against Seton Hall.
St John’s isn’t without talent. Leilani Correa was HoopGurlz #21 ranked player, Danielle Cosgrove is a senior transfer from Norte Dame, and Danielle Patterson, who got a look from Geno, was the #5 ranked forward out of high school.

The Johnnies have had their own issues with Covid and injuries, just like the Huskies. See the box below that shows only 3 players have played all 17 games. In the fall, before their health issues, St John’s lost by 8 to #19 ranked UCLA on the road. Maybe they aren’t as bad as you think they are. Geno himself said they’re better than their record and he’s the guy that’s watched game tapes and scouted the opponent

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
This had to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read on the BY. This guy is making universal judgments about a team with ZERO regard to what its missing in regards to injuries and illness. This team has had its ups and downs with the numerous role changes and adjustments, but overall, I give it great credit for the grit it shows in these WINS.
One of the most ridiculous posts you have ever read on the BY? Then today must be your very first day. :D And factually incorrect. I get it if you want to disagree, but the one and only disagreement you made about my post is just wrong.

I said "One could argue that the revolving door of injuries, covid issues, etc., causes consistency problems, but it feels like the issues are deeper. When Geno is quoted as saying that 2 kids on the team simply do not give "UCONN hard" effort, and that the players do not listen to him, again it speaks to a deeper problem."

So it seems like I at least gave 1% regard to what is missing. Oh, and my comment was wrapped around a quote from Geno criticizing effort by 2 unnamed players and his more general comment about the team not listening to him. Believe me, I don't like writing it any more than you like reading it, but most of that part is Geno's words, not mine.

You are correct - my post was not all warm and fuzzy, but also, I did give lots of praise to 4 players who I thought were really good. But pretending that this team does not have issues does not make them go away. And when Geno addresses that in pressers, or in comments to the media, unless it's hyperbole, it's extra concerning.

Reaction Score

The defense looked better against Seton Hall because Seton Hall was hitting any of their shots. St. John’s had players who made shots. Let’s remember, St.John’s is a D1 program. They have uniforms and everything.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
St John’s isn’t without talent. Leilani Correa was HoopGurlz #21 ranked player, Danielle Cosgrove is a senior transfer from Norte Dame, and Danielle Patterson, who got a look from Geno, was the #5 ranked forward out of high school.

The Johnnies have had their own issues with Covid this winter, just like the Huskies. In the fall, before their health issues, St John’s lost by 8 to #19 ranked UCLA on the road. Maybe they aren’t as bad as you think they are. Geno himself said they’re better than their record and he’s the guy that’s watched game tapes and scouted the opponent
Point taken. So please explain to me what changed for SJU from Wednesday, Jan 19 (4 days ago) when they played Seton Hall, to today.

I get it. Some folks think today's game was all around good and no criticisms were needed. I expected more so obviously we disagree. At the end of the day, we are all UCONN fans and further debate won't change anyone's mind. We disagree, but if we all always felt the same way, we'd be Stepford Wives, not unique and passionate UCONN fans!

Reaction Score

Appeared and must aren’t exactly parallel meanings. Seemed and appeared are. The home versus visitor factor, though, was much more important. I would bet my life savings that Geno wasn’t expecting a Blowout, and am hard pressed to understand why you did.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Point taken. So please explain to me what changed for SJU from Wednesday, Jan 19 (4 days ago) when they played Seton Hall, to today.
I dunno. Maybe they’re human beings? What changed for UConn? Do you play sports/perform you job exactly the same way every time?

I get it. Some folks think today's game was all around good and no criticisms were needed. I expected more so obviously we disagree.
People aren’t saying that at all. For myself, I get tired of hearing about how bad things are all the time as if fans are, well, disgusted with the team. Like the people that complained about Caroline’s FG% after the Oregon game or making comments how Liv didn’t score enough today even though she had 18 reb, 10 assists, 2 blocks, and a steal. The good stuff is expected, the bad stuff is unacceptable.

I see the turnovers and the bad shots but, as Geno said, while they’re still happening, the length of time is getting shorter and the problems are being fixed faster in-game. But that’s not good enough, this steady progression. I get tired of people who expect the team to be in post-season form in January.

Reaction Score
I’m already on record saying that personally I am NOT expecting Paige back until I see her on the court during a game. Medical prognostications aren’t always accurate. Look how long Azzi has been out. She was only supposed to be out 2 weeks. Looks like it’s going to be closer to two months. Let’s see where we are on March 5. If we’re back to full strength and in sync, I’ll reevaluate my expectations, but not before then.
To be accurate, she was never expected back in two weeks. She was shut down for two weeks. Getting in shape after that was always going to take anywhere from four to eight weeks.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a tough call to decide who is more valuable right now. Liv or Caroline. Liv's defensive value is huge for this team and we need the high point efficiency, the rebounds and assists as well. Zero doubt that Liv is a 1st round pick at this point in the season.
Fortunately, it doesn’t matter, because they have different roles. The rotation of three at the 4/5 is really clicking right now; figuring out how six guards and wings will split playing time at the 1-2-3 when everyone is healthy is going to be a major challenge for the coaches.

Reaction Score
It’s actually pathetic that they didn’t know who Winston Churchill was. One of the Great Men from the greatest generation.
I have to think that most of them knew who Churchill was and it was supposed to be a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom