St John’s post game thread (merged thread) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

St John’s post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised that Gabriel wasn't brought in at any point during the SJ game. She's scored 15 points in 17 minutes of playing time during two games. And she looked as though she was a strong and dependable post. Even with the team up in double-digits in the final minutes yesterday, she didn't get off the bench.

Seems that she's earning a look.
especially after he went on and on about her after the previous game.

Reaction Score
Yes, it's a total mystery. On four trips down the court in the first half, AE missed two layups, turned the ball over once, fouled once. That's just not the AE that we saw last year. Complete 180.

I can understand a bit of a sophomore slump, or for that matter, a freshman slump. But this is a completely different player from the one that appeared on the cusp of All American status for her second year of college ball.
I have to wonder if playing on the Canadian team had a negative effect. Knowing that you would likely get your inside shots blocked, have trouble getting open, and that every player on the team was better than you doesn't seem to have helped her confidence.

Reaction Score
The fact is, there is nothing “concerning” about this team or this program. People lament the Oregon blowout, ignoring the reality of the injuries and last minute loss of Williams. I came away admiring the character of players who never quit while getting blown out. They played the 4th quarter as hard as when they went up 10-0.
But let’s rejoice in and praise the Creighton blow out and then mourn and criticize because we only beat St. John’s by 18. The preponderance of people who just cling religiously to the idea that comparative scores and past results have absolutely anything at all to do with the game you play “today” is mind blowing to me.
People “cherry pick” Auriemma’s “coach speak” to suit their opinions and look for problems that are not there because Uconn is struggling by their standards; standards set so high they are probably out of reach even were the team completely healthy.
For me personally, I am sitting back and enjoying the games; the way Ono has accepted and embraced the responsibility of her need to step up, Ducharme‘s fearlessness and court moxie, Dorka’s over all fine play, Muhl and Westbrook willingness to play hard for more minutes than either should be playing physically, and Edwards continuing to battle while obviously going through a trying period with her game.
Yeah, there are mistakes made, but you don’t have the mistakes and you don’t have the 10-0 run after St. John’s turned a 15 point lead ending the 3rd to an 8 point one in a flash to start the 4th. No re-living 4th quarter collapses, a good time out, run a nice play to get Ducharme a 3, drill it, and back to business.
IMO, there is a lot to admire about Uconn right now and people content to look for only mistakes and negatives are missing some very interesting and inspiring goings on.
One last comment, I posted a couple of ridiculously insulting and immature posts about a week or so ago and I sincerely apologize to the people I replied to and the people who were intelligent enough to “thumbs down” me for being such an a$$ho1e.
i also continue to be amazed at the comments being made without any apparent awareness of whats going on in the games. Yesterday you had only 6 players play, 3 of those played the entire game (ok EW played 39 minutes, thats the entire game IMO). EW continues to play huge minutes in spite of appearing to be less than 100% physically. Could he use a timeout once in a while?
Under these conditions it’s unreasonable to expect perfection. They are winning the games they should win, who cares if they are not blowouts.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What I saw was a 6'5" post player standing at the top of the key looking around for someone to pass to. What she should have been doing was what she did the previous four games when she finally got her bearings: bang bodies underneath, put in baskets, or get fouled.

In the past game, Coach Geno said that ONO was doing "what she's comfortable doing." But that is not necessarily what the team needs out of her. It is a strange structure when your post player is leading in assists, but only makes one basket.

Ask SC if they want Boston to stand outside and pass, rather than fight underneath. The answer from their coaching staff will be pretty clear.
"Liv was responsible for 20-some points today at least. It's not like she didn't score," UConn coach Geno Auriemma said. "The passes that she threw led to scores. Everybody has to do what they're really, really good at. Especially now when we're down a bunch of guys. You can't win it by yourself. We have to have their best selves every night because anything else would not be enough.

"Liv gave us her best self tonight. We all benefited from it
."

Reaction Score
It seems that some are finally beginning to understand that this version of the Huskies is not, and will never be, the 2012 to 2016 version. And that's ok.

Some still don't get it...

Yes, it's fine to point out that turnovers are bad and that the play is inconsistent. Those things are true and can be improved on. However, the truth is that this configuration of the team does not have the scoring talent and balance to be a top ten team. Now, having said that, they have the ability to pull off a major upset if the stars align for them. The front court is playing well, but until they start shooting better than they are from the outside, it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to beat the top echelon of teams that can match up with them in the front court.

The version of the Huskies when (if) Paige et. al. return should be better. However, those players have missed a significant chunk of the season. Those who think that all of the problems will go away when they step on the court are kidding themselves. You can't replace missing a third of a season (or more) by simply walking onto the court regardless of how great a talent you are.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It’s actually pathetic that they didn’t know who Winston Churchill was. One of the Great Men from the greatest generation.
World War 2 ended 55 years before the players were born. What do you know about world leaders from the turn of the previous century?

Reaction Score
What I saw was a 6'5" post player standing at the top of the key looking around for someone to pass to. What she should have been doing was what she did the previous four games when she finally got her bearings: bang bodies underneath, put in baskets, or get fouled.

In the past game, Coach Geno said that ONO was doing "what she's comfortable doing." But that is not necessarily what the team needs out of her. It is a strange structure when your post player is leading in assists, but only makes one basket.

Ask SC if they want Boston to stand outside and pass, rather than fight underneath. The answer from their coaching staff will be pretty clear.
What you saw was classic post duties in a Princeton offense. A big in the foul area...passing. She had almost 20 rebounds and Dorka and Edwards were playing extended minutes and scoring. Neither of those two can manage that high post position. So...like he said, she gave them what they needed. I'll add...it's not easy. A lot of reading and decisions are being made. It's really a point guard in this offense...without all the dribbling. She's pretty good at it.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
What you saw was classic post duties in a Princeton offense. A big in the foul area...passing. She had almost 20 rebounds and Dorka and Edwards were playing extended minutes and scoring. Neither of those two can manage that high post position. So...like he said, she gave them what they needed. I'll add...it's not easy. A lot of reading and decisions are being made. It's really a point guard in this offense...without all the dribbling. She's pretty good at it.
Kara Wolters (I think) said Liv played point forward in the game.

Reaction Score
World War 2 ended 55 years before the players were born. What do you know about world leaders from the turn of the previous century?
Quite a bit, actually, Nan, but I grew up in a home with parents who stressed learning history, and not just American history, and I had excellent history teachers throughout my schooling. I feel for those in college now who didn't learn about Churchill in high school!

I don't know how many of the players didn't know of Churchill, but that at least some of them didn't know the man perhaps most instrumental in the defeat of Nazism is disconcerting to me. Yes, it was a while ago. Yet, as Churchill himself said in 1948, "those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Quite a bit, actually, Nan, but I grew up in a home with parents who stressed learning history, and not just American history, and I had excellent history teachers throughout my schooling. I feel for those in college now who didn't learn about Churchill in high school!

I don't know how many of the players didn't know of Churchill, but that at least some of them didn't know the man perhaps most instrumental in the defeat of Nazism is disconcerting to me. Yes, it was a while ago. Yet, as Churchill himself said in 1948, "those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.”
My sons are in their 20’s. They know far more about technology, math, and science than I ever learned in high school. Yes, they studied world history but nowadays the world is looking forward more than looking back. World history was just another subject.

Reaction Score
My sons are in their 20’s. They know far more about technology, math, and science than I ever learned in high school. Yes, they studied world history but nowadays the world is looking forward more than looking back. World history was just another subject.
As education should be, Nan. Your sons obviously received a good education and hopefully will reap the benefits. In no way was I suggesting history should be the sole focus of anyone's education, nor was it mine.

Sadly, however, read pretty much any study of the younger generations' knowledge of American or world history and it will show a sorry scene. We looked forward much more than we looked backward when I was a young person, too, but I respected what the past had to teach us, and feel that's largely neglected today.

Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching this game against St John's. The team looked in control and more confident. Looking forward to the DePaul game. Huge fan of Coach Bruno and the whole DePaul WBB program. Had the great honor of working at his basketball camp for a few years. Definitely one of my all-time favorite coaches. Just a strong promoter of the growth and the game of women's basketball.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I really enjoyed watching this game against St John's. The team looked in control and more confident. Looking forward to the DePaul game. Huge fan of Coach Bruno and the whole DePaul WBB program. Had the great honor of working at his basketball camp for a few years. Definitely one of my all-time favorite coaches. Just a strong promoter of the growth and the game of women's basketball.

Nice guy

67C74726-95B0-4E30-9D51-41B04CF35AB2.jpeg

Reaction Score

I thought that quote was from George Santayana.

Reaction Score
I thought that quote was from George Santayana.
Good catch, Jack. Variations abound... and Churchill's speech nearly matches what Santayana had said decades before. To my point, it was Churchill in question regarding the Huskies and not Santayana.

Reaction Score
We certainly know who they were. I know more about Bismark than nothing.

Reaction Score
Kara Wolters (I think) said Liv played point forward in the game.
I think Caroline would be great in that spot also. Not full time but she could break down a zone very well or drive the basket or make that short jumper.

Reaction Score
My favorite Churchill story: Churchill was at a cocktail party when a women came up to him and said "Mr. Churchill, you are drunk, really drunk". To which Churchill replied "Madam, you are ugly, really ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober.

Reaction Score
As a
My favorite Churchill story: Churchill was at a cocktail party when a women came up to him and said "Mr. Churchill, you are drunk, really drunk". To which Churchill replied "Madam, you are ugly, really ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober.
As a former drunk, the last thing I will applaud is a drunken insult from a world leader.

Reaction Score
As a

As a former drunk, the last thing I will applaud is a drunken insult from a world leader.
That was intended to be a humorous story but feel free to bring up your own personal situation to make it less so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom