St John’s post game thread (merged thread) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

St John’s post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fortunately, it doesn’t matter, because they have different roles. The rotation of three at the 4/5 is really clicking right now; figuring out how six guards and wings will split playing time at the 1-2-3 when everyone is healthy is going to be a major challenge for the coaches.
We should have a lot of depth and I agree on the big lineup. Especially the Dorka and Liv combination which should be a given going forward. I'm just saying we should consider Caroline sometimes as a 4. Maybe when we are behind and need to run and press. And score quickly for example.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I have to think that most of them knew who Churchill was and it was supposed to be a joke.
I don't think it was a joke. Actually, I took high school history in the mid-1960's and heard about Roosevelt, MacArthur, Marshall, Patton, and Eisenhower in WWII, but not Churchill. They focused on Americans.

In recent years, "great man" oriented history has been disparaged, so I doubt if current collegians would recognize even American leaders of WWII.

Reaction Score
We should have a lot of depth and I agree on the big lineup. Especially the Dorka and Liv combination which should be a given going forward. I'm just saying we should consider Caroline sometimes as a 4. Maybe when we are behind and need to run and press. And score quickly for example.
I agree

Reaction Score
I don't think it was a joke. Actually, I took high school history in the mid-1960's and heard about Roosevelt, MacArthur, Marshall, Patton, and Eisenhower in WWII, but not Churchill. They focused on Americans.

In recent years, "great man" oriented history has been disparaged, so I doubt if current collegians would recognize even American leaders of WWII.
God help us. I had read Churchill's history of the English Speaking peoples before high school. 3 volumes of it. I didn't have the 4th. It was superb. One of the best history book series ever. The world has changed and not completely for the better.

Reaction Score
I said "One could argue that the revolving door of injuries, covid issues, etc., causes consistency problems, but it feels like the issues are deeper. When Geno is quoted as saying that 2 kids on the team simply do not give "UCONN hard" effort, and that the players do not listen to him, again it speaks to a deeper problem."
When did he say this? After the post game of this game vs SJU?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When did he say this? After the post game of this game vs SJU?
I think it was the last months Geno show. They cut to Geno exasperated with Mir on not understanding a defensive drill and called out Amari for effort.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard ”they have their ups and downs “ at least 4 times in this thread. Should we change the teams name to the Trampoliners,Yoyo’s, or Pogo Stickers? They we a tad more good than bad with at least one positive from each player. Two players were responsible for most of the ups.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
The best feeling I got today?

From Caroline's immediate and genuine smile and then blush after being asked about seeing Aubrey. And Dorka's reaction as well. Talk about caring for your fellow woman.

As an adjunct: Caroline seemed so cool and mature in the presser. She's older than her years as a player and a person.

Reaction Score
Right now, Ducharmes is the only player playing at a Top 25 team level. We can't beat a Top 25 team when the starting post takes just four shots, and makes just one. We don't need her standing at the top of the key wondering whom to pass to. That won't cut it against any team with a real front court.

But Ducharmes is the real deal. Deserves to be starting first team All Big East, and not just first team freshman All Big East. She's doing it all.
I’m not sure what team you’ve been watching but I am very confident we’re playing at a top 25 level. I have very little doubt that we could play teams 15-25 and go at least 6-4. (I think we would likely be 8-2 but there is the possibility of foul trouble)

Reaction Score
I said "One could argue that the revolving door of injuries, covid issues, etc., causes consistency problems, but it feels like the issues are deeper. When Geno is quoted as saying that 2 kids on the team simply do not give "UCONN hard" effort, and that the players do not listen to him, again it speaks to a deeper problem."

So it seems like I at least gave 1% regard to what is missing. Oh, and my comment was wrapped around a quote from Geno criticizing effort by 2 unnamed players and his more general comment about the team not listening to him. Believe me, I don't like writing it any more than you like reading it, but most of that part is Geno's words, not mine.

You are correct - my post was not all warm and fuzzy, but also, I did give lots of praise to 4 players who I thought were really good. But pretending that this team does not have issues does not make them go away. And when Geno addresses that in pressers, or in comments to the media, unless it's hyperbole, it's extra concerning.
But if what eebmg is correct, is it that you are taking a literal quote from Geno weeks ago and using the older comment as justification now to suggest/imply that there are "deep issues?"

Yet in the same breath discarding the recent Geno postgame which has him stating that St Johns is much better than their record?
Along with his comments that Geno has said in this recent presser that his team is making progress in addition to saying his team is better?

So is it that you are using older comments and discarding the new?

Reaction Score
Right now, Ducharmes is the only player playing at a Top 25 team level. We can't beat a Top 25 team when the starting post takes just four shots, and makes just one. We don't need her standing at the top of the key wondering whom to pass to. That won't cut it against any team with a real front court.

But Ducharmes is the real deal. Deserves to be starting first team All Big East, and not just first team freshman All Big East. She's doing it all.
Right now, Liv is the best of the Huskies.

Reaction Score
What a shame they didn't know who he was. So many great things to learn from Churchill.
Especially is work with oil paintings and the balance that that activity made in his life during the bombing of London. It cleared his head for life's decisions.

Reaction Score
One of the most ridiculous posts you have ever read on the BY? Then today must be your very first day. :D And factually incorrect. I get it if you want to disagree, but the one and only disagreement you made about my post is just wrong.

So it seems like I at least gave 1% regard to what is missing. Oh, and my comment was wrapped around a quote from Geno criticizing effort by 2 unnamed players and his more general comment about the team not listening to him. Believe me, I don't like writing it any more than you like reading it, but most of that part is Geno's words, not mine.

You are correct - my post was not all warm and fuzzy, but also, I did give lots of praise to 4 players who I thought were really good. But pretending that this team does not have issues does not make them go away. And when Geno addresses that in pressers, or in comments to the media, unless it's hyperbole, it's extra concerning.
How old are you? I feel like I am talking to a ten year old. The "deeper" issue with this team is the missing players, who are all, All American caliber players.
Of course, Geno has to play some players that are not playing hard...HE ONLY HAS 6!!!

Reaction Score
In message #70 of St. John’s post game thread, BBallF aptly summarized the team’s troubles this season and I thought wrote that this is not our year, a sentiment that I have sadly come to share. On a closer reading of the text, however, such a view was not expressed. Still, my incorrect reading of BBallF’s statement crystalized my own views on this season and let me state the reasons for this opinion.

First, the team has suffered a series of injuries unprecedented since 2000-01, those of Bueckers, Azzi, and Griffin being the most prominent. The general consensus is that the team will be really good once the walking wounded return, but will the the injured players return and how effective will their play be? I keep wondering about Fudd. She played several games before being shut down and the likelihood is that she was not at 100% from the beginning of the season. She has been out much longer than anticipated and is not likely to be on the court for several games more. Assuming she returns this season, will she be healthy enough to be the player that we all anticipated? She has lost so much of the season that I am doubtful. Will she demonstrate the ability to get open to shoot and can she play defense? We can perhaps see within the next couple of weeks. As for Paige, with luck she will be able to play a few games before the Big East Tournament. Yet what can we expect? Will either be 100% this season and, if so, will that be enough for a championship run? I don’t think so for reasons 2 and 3 below.

Second, Edwards has appeared lost for the entire season, perhaps the result of the Canadian Olympic team experience. She seems slower and lacks confidence. Unless she regains her mojo and enthusiasm, I don’t think the team has a prayer of making the Final Four.

Third, let’s not forget that Aubrey Griffin has been out the entire season and what a crucial part of the team’s equation she has been for the past two years. She is a fierce defender and excellent rebounder and she has been missed.

Fourth, the team has lost four players from last year’s team - Makurat, Chassion, Poffenbarger, and McLean. Makurat played major minutes in every game until her mid-season injury, McLean had some good minutes last season, and given the injuries Poffenbarger and Chassion would probably have seen playing time by now. All, however, have left the program, an unprecedented number in the program’s history, and two after the season started. One can understand why they took place, but in season transfers are extremely unusual.

No one is throwing in the towel, certainly not Geno, the staff, and the players and it is probably a good thing that the South Carolina game has been cancelled, so we must try to be optimistic. The glass may be half empty but it is not empty yet and we can hope for the return Williams soon and of Fudd and Bueckers later down the line. Then we shall see.

Reaction Score
This “45 points on the bench” argument is misleading. There are only so many attempted shots in a game. If you are going to add imaginary points from the bench, you need to subtracts actual points made from the players who made them.

LIV was one assist short of a pretty rare double double. Major plus in a BE game but more points are needed from her in games against good teams.

CD never stops moving. Fun to follow her move around the court. She has become the second best player on the team behind Paige.

AE ….I just don’t understand. We saw what she can do in the paint last year, we know she has the ability. This has got to be mental. Hope she overcomes whatever it is. She will be needed in the Tourney.

LIv and CD will get the plaudits today but Nika deserves a mention. Played well and was even more aggressive than usual. An important part of any success we have during this injury riddled phase.

I hope that Geno’s refusal to give serious minutes to AD and PG doesn’t come back to haunt him. Doesn’t matter in the BE but if a couple of our bigs get into foul trouble in the Tourney, we will need a decent contribution from them. Won’t get much if they don’t get floor time now.

Yes, it's a total mystery. On four trips down the court in the first half, AE missed two layups, turned the ball over once, fouled once. That's just not the AE that we saw last year. Complete 180.

I can understand a bit of a sophomore slump, or for that matter, a freshman slump. But this is a completely different player from the one that appeared on the cusp of All American status for her second year of college ball.

Reaction Score
Are you kidding me? Olivia had 18 rebounds, 10 assists. Geno was thrilled with her performance. Dorka picked up the scoring with 16 points.

Sometimes I wonder what people see when they watch a game

What I saw was a 6'5" post player standing at the top of the key looking around for someone to pass to. What she should have been doing was what she did the previous four games when she finally got her bearings: bang bodies underneath, put in baskets, or get fouled.

In the past game, Coach Geno said that ONO was doing "what she's comfortable doing." But that is not necessarily what the team needs out of her. It is a strange structure when your post player is leading in assists, but only makes one basket.

Ask SC if they want Boston to stand outside and pass, rather than fight underneath. The answer from their coaching staff will be pretty clear.

Reaction Score
How old are you? I feel like I am talking to a ten year old. The "deeper" issue with this team is the missing players, who are all, All American caliber players.
Of course, Geno has to play some players that are not playing hard...HE ONLY HAS 6!!!
The fact is, there is nothing “concerning” about this team or this program. People lament the Oregon blowout, ignoring the reality of the injuries and last minute loss of Williams. I came away admiring the character of players who never quit while getting blown out. They played the 4th quarter as hard as when they went up 10-0.
But let’s rejoice in and praise the Creighton blow out and then mourn and criticize because we only beat St. John’s by 18. The preponderance of people who just cling religiously to the idea that comparative scores and past results have absolutely anything at all to do with the game you play “today” is mind blowing to me.
People “cherry pick” Auriemma’s “coach speak” to suit their opinions and look for problems that are not there because Uconn is struggling by their standards; standards set so high they are probably out of reach even were the team completely healthy.
For me personally, I am sitting back and enjoying the games; the way Ono has accepted and embraced the responsibility of her need to step up, Ducharme‘s fearlessness and court moxie, Dorka’s over all fine play, Muhl and Westbrook willingness to play hard for more minutes than either should be playing physically, and Edwards continuing to battle while obviously going through a trying period with her game.
Yeah, there are mistakes made, but you don’t have the mistakes and you don’t have the 10-0 run after St. John’s turned a 15 point lead ending the 3rd to an 8 point one in a flash to start the 4th. No re-living 4th quarter collapses, a good time out, run a nice play to get Ducharme a 3, drill it, and back to business.
IMO, there is a lot to admire about Uconn right now and people content to look for only mistakes and negatives are missing some very interesting and inspiring goings on.
One last comment, I posted a couple of ridiculously insulting and immature posts about a week or so ago and I sincerely apologize to the people I replied to and the people who were intelligent enough to “thumbs down” me for being such an a$$ho1e.

Reaction Score
I was a bit surprised that Gabriel wasn't brought in at any point during the SJ game. She's scored 15 points in 17 minutes of playing time during two games. And she looked as though she was a strong and dependable post. Even with the team up in double-digits in the final minutes yesterday, she didn't get off the bench.

Seems that she's earning a look.

Reaction Score
She has learned Geno’s “read and react” system wouldn’t you say? She got starter’s minutes because of players going down in front of her. She leads the team in scoring and (bless her) is not afraid to shoot. I’d say she’s learned his system pretty good.
Good assessment. Would add that CD's constant motion also opens the floor up for others versus some that won't drive, stand there with ball telegraphing their pass, or allow our bigs to be doubled.

Reaction Score
She has learned Geno’s “read and react” system wouldn’t you say? She got starter’s minutes because of players going down in front of her. She leads the team in scoring and (bless her) is not afraid to shoot. I’d say she’s learned his system pretty good.
Caroline probably knew how to read and react long before coming to UConn. Her understanding of the game is rare at her age, and a big part of why she is the player that she is. The really good players somehow have a court awareness that is very hard to teach.

Reaction Score
I think it would be a tough call to decide who is more valuable right now. Liv or Caroline. Liv's defensive value is huge for this team and we need the high point efficiency, the rebounds and assists as well. Zero doubt that Liv is a 1st round pick at this point in the season.
Not sure why some are overreacting to the low point total in one of Liv's best games of the year. Prior to St. John's, Liv was getting a very consistent 13-17 points a game, typically dominating her defensive player down low. Likely her best offensive performances of her 4 years have been on the recent stretch prior to St. Johns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom