St John’s post game thread (merged thread) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

St John’s post game thread (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Why should it have been a blowout? St. John's has good players and one of the best in the BE. UConn's offense has been struggling and will continue to struggle. You probably need to lower your expectations until everyone gets back and even then, temper them. UConn's offense and turnovers will continue to hinder them from being the team we love to see.
In the real world, not UConn territory, 18 points is a blowout

Reaction Score
Well, guess I was watching a different game, because I enjoyed the offensive movement, especially after the "pass it around the outside and shoot threes" against Seton Hall. Caroline could teach a class in moving when you haven't got the ball, especially her back door moves. Maybe it's rubbing off. Oh, and she's pretty good at posting up. St. John's looked to me to be a well-coached team, with some very good offensive players. Don't understand some of their losses. They go down to the end with UCLA, losing by 5; led DePaul at the half, only down by 5 after 3, scoring 93 points; and then they find a way to lose to teams like Brown, Providence, and Wagner.

Reaction Score
In the SNY post game show they said that Christyn may not play in the SC game. It's NOT a given. There may be some lingering complications preventing her from taking the floor Thursday.

I must be transparent here. I expect some pushback for what I'm about to say......which is fine. There is no way in he** UConn is going to Columbia South Carolina in front of a sold out (18,000 seats) Colonial Life Arena, and beat the number 1 team in the country on their floor with 6 players.

The Gamecocks are number one, and they 're playing like it. My hope hope is to get that game behind us without anyone getting injured. I don't care about the loss. It became blatantly obvious earlier this year that this IS NOT our year. Core players being injured, player defections, COVID infections hitting our team. Do the best you can. Play hard and smart and see where you finish at the end of the year. UConn will not win the NC this year (playing the way they played today), but let's see how close they can come.
Carnac, you know, and I know, strange things happen. That's why games have to be played. Otherwise just hang a banner. Oh, wait. They did that...

I will be rooting for UConn against SCar and in the tournament. Long shots? Maybe, but story endings are made with long shots. (I am not in the same class as TonyC however...)

Reaction Score
Few thoughts:
  • SJ seems like a better team then their record indicates. 5-12? 1-6? They have 2 really good players in Correa and Kelly. Some height and even 2 ex-ND players.
  • CD is special. to do what she has been doing as a freshmen is outstanding. Her endurance is amazing. The kid is moving for the whole 40 min. and does not lose efficiency. I assume no one had an issue with her taking 22 shots today.
*This team is not a good passing team aside then ONO and she is the center. The current guards are either not recognizing openings or are late passing and by that missing on an easy shot.
  • while the beginning of the 4th quarter was really bad, loved the reaction of UConn to go on a run and basically close the game.
  • we need more then 3 points from Liv in the big games.
  • DJ was good in this game but she need s a serious strength training and working on balance.
  • Don't know what to think of AE. She plays hard but....
*Nika's defense was real good today and that helps the whole team to up their defensive intensity.
*SJ scored a lot of points of UConn turnover mainly because of the locations of those turnovers which resulted in layups for SJ. Against the top teams this kind of carelessness' with the ball will result in a loss.
* Thursday will be interesting. I doubt this team can win against SC (in SC) so all i really hope for is a competitive game.

Reaction Score
Didn't read the whole post-game thread, but I didn't see this idea....
What if we beat SC on Thursday. Suddenly, UConn is thrust back into everyone's consciousness. 4-5 BE snoozers and then Tenn. Come on folks: UConn matches up with SC. UConn has 3 bigs playing pretty well and 10 more fouls sitting over on the bench. Gotta tighten up the turnovers against pressure. SC has played a few lethargic games. Could they overlook UConn with PB out? This headache of a season could take at least a 90 degree veer north with a win Thursday. That 3-4 seed everyone is talking about quickly readjusts like hopefully Wall Street next week.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Easy to look like a good defensive team against the likes of St John’s, et al.
Not so easy against Oregon.
We’ll test your theory against SC.
Well correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the UConn vs SJU Post Game thread?

Reaction Score
Gotta say this...

UCONN WBB beat a team by 18 points on the other team's court, in front of the other team's fans, with only 6 players. They were still missing 3 guards including: (1) their Best Player who was also the best player in NCAA WBB last year -winner of 4 NPOY awards last year (and was playing like she was going to win some of them again before her injury) and an ESPY, 21.5 pts/game, (2) a Senior 4 year starter who is also best one-on-one defender, 14.6 pts/game, and (3) the #1 recruit from last year's high school players, 7.5pts/game... and a front court energizer bunny who changes the game every time she plays. BUT for some It isn't enough.... The Team playing on the court is not the Team that started the summer workouts together...nor the team that played in November together. They are what is available to put on the court NOW. We have early season subs playing 35 - 40 minutes in critical positions and they are coming through with points, rebounds, steals, and a lot of gritty play. But, still, for some, it's NOT enough.

If the good lord is willin' and the creek don't rise, the Team playing TODAY will NOT be the Team playing in March and April... in the Tournaments... when it matters most. The Team playing now is playing their hearts out... to win and to carry on the tradition of UCONN WBB. They are doing what they can, and I'm sure they feel bad that they disappoint some BY posters to some degree... but they are focused on getting through the regular season, treading water as best they can...until the injured can return. During his Presser Geno said the Team "was going through hell"... and quoted Churchill, "when you are going through hell... KEEP GOING"... The Team could say it's just too hard and "mail in" the rest of the season, or they can keep working their collective butts off to win each game. Geno said "it's not going to be pretty for a while"... and it hasn't been, but they are winning the games they are supposed to win and they are continuing to improve each and every game. This has been a difficult time, but it has been a time for each player who can play to improve their skills, experience and most importantly their confidence. When the others return, Geno will have so many more options he can rely on to plug into a game at a particular moment and be confident they can help the team.

Early in the Season many BY posters predicted losses to SC in the Bahamas and the game coming up in Columbia. Of course the 1st game went to SC. The 2nd one is coming up, on their court, with UCONN still short-handed. It will be a major accomplishment if they can pull out a win in this game... BUT IT DOESN'T MATTER. What matters now is winning the Conference games and tournament, getting everyone back to the court, and putting out a stronger, more experienced and more determined team for the big dance.

IMHO

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Easy to look like a good defensive team against the likes of St John’s, et al.
Not so easy against Oregon.
We’ll test your theory against SC.
I get that you want a perfect game - Geno has spoiled us fans. But you have to recognize that players are being asked to do things they never had to do before. A freshman is leading the team is scoring. Olivia is directing the offense from the high post. Nika, still recovering from an injury, is playing twice as many minutes as the medical guys want. A transfer is expected to fit right into UConn’s schemes after playing completely different ones for 4 years. This is not easy, any of it. Yet, for some reason, UConn fans seem to feel that the Huskies should just keep rolling over teams by 40 points.

I think it’s not unreasonable to temper expectations. An 18 point win rather than a 40 point one - on the road, against the #2 scoring offense in the BIg East (UConn is #4). Maybe you expect more robotic performances, as Mr Bueckers would say, but I see human beings with their strengths and weaknesses who may win vs So Carolina or may not. But the fun is in the watching and cheering. If it isn’t, it may be time to find a new team to root for

Reaction Score
This game should have been a blowout. Instead, it was a grind from start to finish. UCONN turnovers let to a lot of SJU points. The 2 games leading up to Oregon had many feeling "good", and even tho we prettied up the corpse at the end, it really was a blowout. We followed up the Seton Hall blowout (a team who just beat this SJU team) with a lackluster struggle. Geno keeps talking about his struggles in getting the team to listen to him - even at halftime - he said "these kids don't believe me. I tell them they need to go out at the 3 point shooters with their arm(s) up, and they don't".

This team just doesn't have it for whatever reason. One could argue that the revolving door of injuries, covid issues, etc., causes consistency problems, but it feels like the issues are deeper. When Geno is quoted as saying that 2 kids on the team simply do not give "UCONN hard" effort, and that the players do not listen to him, again it speaks to a deeper problem. At halftime he said the team played pretty well, but the missed layups were specifically mentioned. Sure a double digit win on the road, but it just didn't feel like a great win.

Geno had to call a TO early in Q4 after SJU went on a 7-0 run to start the quarter. That's baffling against an overmatched team who is 1-5 in the BE. They were shooting over 43% late into the game. Instead of doing a player by player synopsis, 4 players stood out...

Caroline, Nika, ONO, and Dorka.
  • Caroline continues to be our best offensive option. Her 3 point shooting is way off, but she finds so many other ways to score, and she works hard on defense. She's a gamer and will be really good for her career.
  • Nika - 3 point shooting is not a strength - 4-12 in the last 2 games, but she's really no worse than anyone else on the team who plays right now. But her energy and defense is really nice to see.
  • Dorka - really solid game from start to finish. Sure she made some mistakes, but she battles, gets open, makes a decent amount of layups (unlike the bricks some other have been shooting), and is really all around solid.
  • Olivia for getting almost 20 rebounds. 18 boards and 10 assists. WOW. What an effort!!

Evina had nice numbers, but her mental lapses and leadership was a bit lacking today. Edwards - meh. Gotta make layups.

This game was close enough that we went no deeper into the bench. The game vs. SC, even with Christyn back, could be very ugly for UCONN. BUT this team is so inconsistent that maybe we will be surprised in a good way!
Playing St. John’s at their gym, one should never expect a blowout. They appeared to be a much better team than Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
I get that you want a perfect game - Geno has spoiled us fans. But you have to recognize that players are being asked to do things they never had to do before. A freshman is leading the team is scoring. Olivia is directing the offense from the high post. Nika, still recovering from an injury, is playing twice as many minutes as the medical guys want. A transfer is expected to fit right into UConn’s scheme’s after playing completely different ones for 4 years. THis is not easy, any of it. Yet, for some reason, UConn fans seem to feel that the Huskies should just keep rolling over teams by 40 points.

I think it’s not unreasonable to temper expectations. An 18 point win rather than a 40 point one - on the road, against the #2 scoring offense in the BIg East (UConn is #4). Maybe you expect more, as Mr Bueckers would say, robotic performances but I see human beings with their strengths and weaknesses who may win vs So Carolina or may not. But the fun is in the watching and cheering. If it isn’t, it may be time to find a new team to root for
Thank you Ms. Nan.
With all due respect.
But there is nothing more important than protecting the ball.
Any sport: pick one: hoops, lacrosse, football, soccer, field hockey, name it.
When you have the ball in your possession, the other team cannot score.
The lazy passes, push passes, disrespecting the importance of controlling the ball drives me crazy.
Protect the ball, please....

Reaction Score
I get that you want a perfect game - Geno has spoiled us fans. But you have to recognize that players are being asked to do things they never had to do before. A freshman is leading the team is scoring. Olivia is directing the offense from the high post. Nika, still recovering from an injury, is playing twice as many minutes as the medical guys want. A transfer is expected to fit right into UConn’s scheme’s after playing completely different ones for 4 years. THis is not easy, any of it. Yet, for some reason, UConn fans seem to feel that the Huskies should just keep rolling over teams by 40 points.

I think it’s not unreasonable to temper expectations. An 18 point win rather than a 40 point one - on the road, against the #2 scoring offense in the BIg East (UConn is #4). Maybe you expect more, as Mr Bueckers would say, robotic performances but I see human beings with their strengths and weaknesses who may win vs So Carolina or may not. But the fun is in the watching and cheering. If it isn’t, it may be time to find a new team to root for
Amen

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
not saying you are wrong, but then you could legitimately ask if Bueckers should come back at all this year. Why take a chance
I’m already on record saying that personally I am NOT expecting Paige back until I see her on the court during a game. Medical prognostications aren’t always accurate. Look how long Azzi has been out. She was only supposed to be out 2 weeks. Looks like it’s going to be closer to two months. Let’s see where we are on March 5. If we’re back to full strength and in sync, I’ll reevaluate my expectations, but not before then.

Reaction Score
Caroline did the backdoor cut about 5 times today. Her motion on offense is far advanced for a freshman
agree, but she is just one - I think it has to do with Winston Churchill. See Geno's post game presser!

Reaction Score
This game should have been a blowout. Instead, it was a grind from start to finish. UCONN turnovers let to a lot of SJU points. The 2 games leading up to Oregon had many feeling "good", and even tho we prettied up the corpse at the end, it really was a blowout. We followed up the Seton Hall blowout (a team who just beat this SJU team) with a lackluster struggle. Geno keeps talking about his struggles in getting the team to listen to him - even at halftime - he said "these kids don't believe me. I tell them they need to go out at the 3 point shooters with their arm(s) up, and they don't".

This team just doesn't have it for whatever reason. One could argue that the revolving door of injuries, covid issues, etc., causes consistency problems, but it feels like the issues are deeper. When Geno is quoted as saying that 2 kids on the team simply do not give "UCONN hard" effort, and that the players do not listen to him, again it speaks to a deeper problem. At halftime he said the team played pretty well, but the missed layups were specifically mentioned. Sure a double digit win on the road, but it just didn't feel like a great win.

Geno had to call a TO early in Q4 after SJU went on a 7-0 run to start the quarter. That's baffling against an overmatched team who is 1-5 in the BE. They were shooting over 43% late into the game. Instead of doing a player by player synopsis, 4 players stood out...

• Caroline continues to be our best offensive option. Her 3 point shooting is way off, but she finds so many other ways to score, and she works hard on defense. She's a gamer and will be really good for her career.
  • Nika - 3 point shooting is not a strength - 4-12 in the last 2 games, but she's really no worse than anyone else on the team who plays right now. But her energy and defense is really nice to see.
  • Dorka - really solid game from start to finish. Sure she made some mistakes, but she battles, gets open, makes a decent amount of layups (unlike the bricks some other have been shooting), and is really all around solid.
  • Olivia for getting almost 20 rebounds. 18 boards and 10 assists. WOW. What an effort!!

Evina had nice numbers, but her mental lapses and leadership was a bit lacking today. Edwards - meh. Gotta make layups.

This game was close enough that we went no deeper into the bench. The game vs. SC, even with Christyn back, could be very ugly for UCONN. BUT this team is so inconsistent that maybe we will be surprised in a good way!

Right now, Ducharmes is the only player playing at a Top 25 team level. We can't beat a Top 25 team when the starting post takes just four shots, and makes just one. We don't need her standing at the top of the key wondering whom to pass to. That won't cut it against any team with a real front court.

But Ducharmes is the real deal. Deserves to be starting first team All Big East, and not just first team freshman All Big East. She's doing it all.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Right now, Ducharmes is the only player playing at a Top 25 team level. We can't beat a Top 25 team when the starting post takes just four shots, and makes just one. We don't need her standing at the top of the key wondering whom to pass to. That won't cut it against any team with a real front court.

But Ducharmes is the real deal. Deserves to be starting first team All Big East, and not just first team freshman All Big East. She's doing it all.
Are you kidding me? Olivia had 18 rebounds, 10 assists. Geno was thrilled with her performance. Dorka picked up the scoring with 16 points.

Sometimes I wonder what people see when they watch a game

Reaction Score
Olivia has been playing very well this year, and her numbers look similar to Stefanie Dolson's senior year. Indeed, her career numbers are pretty close. I am happy that she is getting some recognition from the Husky fans this year.

MinutesPointsPercentReboundsAssistsTurnoversBlocksSteals
Nelson-Ododa
Sophomore
26.4​
10.9​
0.55​
8.5​
2.8​
2.4​
3.1​
1.1​
Junior
25.9​
12.0​
0.56​
7.8​
2.9​
1.9​
1.8​
0.6​
Senior
29.4​
11.7​
0.57​
8.5​
4.2​
2.1​
2.2​
1.5​
Dolson
Sophomore
23.9​
10.4​
0.59​
6.0​
1.7​
2.4​
1.5​
0.8​
Junior
26.8​
13.6​
0.59​
7.1​
3.1​
2.3​
1.5​
1.1​
Senior
32.3​
12.5​
0.56​
9.3​
3.4​
2.6​
2.3​
1.0​

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

What game were you watching? Liv had 18 rbs and 10 assists, both career highs. She constantly fed Caroline & Dorka in the low blocks. With Paige out, Liv is the best passer on this team right now, and the best passing Big in the country.

Fairfield, you’ve made no secret of the fact that you are not a fan of Liv’s. But for crying out load, criticizing Liv after her wonderful game today is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What game were you watching? Liv had 18 rbs and 10 assists, both career highs. She constantly fed Caroline & Dorka in the low blocks. With Paige out, Liv is the best passer on this team right now, and the best passing Big in the country.

Fairfield, you’ve made no secret of the fact that you are not a fan of Liv’s. But for crying out load, criticizing Liv after her wonderful game today is ridiculous.
Concur with you @oldude ... there are more ways to contribute than points... and I corrected your post for you... 18 rebounds (rbs) not points (pts). :)

Reaction Score

This had to be one of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read on the BY. This guy is making universal judgments about a team with ZERO regard to what its missing in regards to injuries and illness. This team has had its ups and downs with the numerous role changes and adjustments, but overall, I give it great credit for the grit it shows in these WINS.

Reaction Score
Thank you Ms. Nan.
With all due respect.
But there is nothing more important than protecting the ball.
Any sport: pick one: hoops, lacrosse, football, soccer, field hockey, name it.
When you have the ball in your possession, the other team cannot score.
The lazy passes, push passes, disrespecting the importance of controlling the ball drives me crazy.
Protect the ball, please....
They’re kids, not pros. Let me let you in on a little secret. UConn, like every other team, has flaws and is not perfect. They are going to throw the ball away, make mistakes and even miss layups. The team is getting better and the kids are learning and doing the best they can.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
agree, but she is just one - I think it has to do with Winston Churchill. See Geno's post game presser!
She has learned Geno’s “read and react” system wouldn’t you say? She got starter’s minutes because of players going down in front of her. She leads the team in scoring and (bless her) is not afraid to shoot. I’d say she’s learned his system pretty good.

Reaction Score

no "s", unless you think her contributions are as if she is multiple players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom