OT: - Sports records that will never be broken | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports records that will never be broken

Reaction Score
A biological limit

Let’s take the men’s 100m sprint as our example. Humans cannot run at, say, the speed of light, so there must be a limit to how fast it is possible to run.

The current world record for this event is 9.58 seconds, set by Usain Bolt in 2009. His average speed during this race was 10.43 m/s, with a top speed of 12.34 m/s. Were it possible for him to run at this speed for the entire 100 m (impossible because of the stationary start), Bolt could have completed the race in 8.10 seconds. Interestingly, in a 150 m race in 2009 Bolt ran the last 100 m in 8.70 seconds – a result of starting that last 100 m at speed.

Mathematicians and biologists have both tried to predict the fastest 100 m sprint possible, with varying results. A 2008 study (before current world record was set) used computer models and statistics to suggest a time of 9.48 seconds, mathematician Reza Noubary has suggested 9.44 s, and other researchers have suggested 9.45 seconds. These predictions are based on fitting a curve to the progression of the world record over time (check out this link for an explanation of the maths involved).

Reaction Score
These Sports Records Will Never Be Broken (?)
  1. Cy Young's 749 complete games and 511 wins.
  2. Wilt Chamberlain – 100 Points in a Single Game. ...
  3. Wayne Gretzky's 2,857 Career Points. ...
  4. Brett Favre's 297 Consecutive Games Played. ...
  5. Cal Ripken Jr.'s 2,632 Consecutive Games Played. ...
  6. Joe DiMaggio's 56 Game Hit Streak. ...
  7. Boston Celtics – Eight Consecutive NBA Titles. ...

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Not a record. MLB record is .440. 20 major league players have batted over .400 for a season. Three of them did it 3 times. None of them hit against black pitchers, including Ted.
I meant we will never see someone hit over .400 again.

Reaction Score
Some Uconn records that are definitely breakable but may never be broken.

-Chris Smith alltime scoring record, anyone who is capable won't be there for 4 years especially this day in age of guys going pro .

-Dan Orlovsky's passing yards record, very breakable in todays passing game but this is UConn were talking about where a passing game is non existent, even in the days of making bowl games we never had a passing game.

Reaction Score
For Uconn records or accomplishments, I believe one would be even harder to match than 12 straight final fours, 11 championships, or a 111 game winning streak! Namely the last two game losing streak was a generation ago, I believe 93/94 season, before anyone playing at Uconn now was born. I believe it is getting close to a thousand games now.

The other posts covering so many sports are all excellent and bring back memories of many things I haven't thought about for years.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Emmitt Smith’s all-time NFL rushing yards and rushing TD’s records of 18,355 and 164 respectively, being broken, even if the owners get their way and extend the regular season to 18 games.
Tony Dorsett's 99 yard touchdown run vs the Vikings. Can only be tied but never broken on a 100 yard field.
Derrick Henry was credited with a 99 yd run a couple seasons ago. Dorsett though, accomplished his record run with only 10 men on the field as FB Ron Springs misunderstood the play call and came off the field.

Reaction Score
Since this is a dead period for news or any movement in WCBB, I thought I’d conduct a poll of the most intelligent and knowledgeable fans on the WWW, of records that will never be broken. Before I get started, I urge you to keep it going and add any record(s) from any sport you feel belongs here and will never be broken (or broken in your lifetime). Below are 10 random records in no particular order in the world of sports that many think will NEVER be broken. I know that records are made to be broken, BUT some have stood the test of time, and continue to stand tall over 7+ decades; and are beginning to appear they never will.

You can list them in order that YOU think they will someday be broken, with the last record of those listed to fall on top at number 1. I’ll start close to home with two Uconn records I think will age like a fine wine before they are broken. Post edited to change #2.

1. Geno’s 11 (and counting) national championships. Kim Mulkey (Baylor) has 3. She is the only active D1 coach with more than 2 NC’s.

2. UConn’s 111 game consecutive win streak and their undefeated American Conference win streak of 139-0 (2013-2020)

3. Joe DiMaggio’s (MLB) 56 game hit streak established in 1941. 79 years ago and counting. Pete Rose came within 12 games in 1978 with 44.

4. Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters. On May 1,1991 at the age of 44, he tossed his last one. I don’t think this one will ever be broken. To break it, someone has to throw 8. :confused: Throwing a no-hitter is like hitting for the cycle. It's possible, but very hard to do. I won't even mention Johnny Vander Meer's (Cincinnati Reds) record of throwing 2 consecutive no hitters back to back in June 1938. This would be my #1 entry on top. It NEVER happened before or since.

5. The “Iron Man” - MLB HOF Calvin Edwin Ripken Jr’s consectutive games played streak. Ripken holds the MLB record for consecutive games played, 2,632, surpassing Lou Gehrig's streak of 2,130 that had stood for 56 years. Many deemed that record unbreakable. 2,632 games = 16.2 years (seasons) without missing a game. :eek:

6. The NFL’s Tom Brady’s 6 SuperBowl wins.

7. Wilt Chamberlain’s NBA record of 100 points scored in a game against the NY Knicks in 1962. (58 years ago.........and counting) Kobe Bryant has come the closest when he scored 81 points in the Lakers' Jan. 22, 2006 victory over the Toronto Raptors. Five things you didn't know about Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game.

8. The NBA’s HOF Bill Russell’s 13 league championships 1957-1969

9. MLB’s Cy Young's 749 complete games and 511 wins.

10. NFL’s Brett Favre's 297 Consecutive Games Played.

For the record, except for number 10, I don’t think any of these incredible records will ever be broken.

OK, get to work. :)
I think that one of the least impressive records listed is Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. Theoretically you could be hit 250 or less and sustain a 56 game hitting streak. He ended up hitting 408 during that streak instead which is really exceptional but Ted Williams hit 406 for the entire year ..... THE ENTIRE YEAR .... which is more impressive???? Sustaining that pace for the entire season or for 1/3 of the season .... I'm not saying it wasn't impressive but to compare the two .... not even close!!!! He hit 357 for the year, not nearly as impressive as Ted Williams ... Just so you know, I hate the Red Sox and I'm a really big Yankee fan

Reaction Score
-Mariano Riveras 652 career saves, 44 saves at age 43.

- Rickey Hendersons 130 SB in a season

- Wilt Chamberlain 50.4 ppg average in a season

-Pete Rose 4,256 career hits (ridiculous whats more ridiculous is hes not in the HOF)

-
Pete Rose having 4,256 hits while playing practically his whole career on artificial turf where infield chops bounced so high, that by the time an infielder had a chance to grasp it, often it became a hit .... how many balls that would have slowed down on grass, instead skipped through an infield .... just as Henry Aaron became the alltime homer hitter while playing his home games hitting in banjo box stadiums in both Milwaukee and Atlanta while also playing in other National league parks in Cincinnati and New York that had really shallow dimensions really rubs me the wrong way .... He was a great hitter but for him to ever have had the career homerun title is ludicrous. His home stadiums for most of his career were COMPARATIVELY SPEAKING little league parks if compared to the old Yankee stadium where the power alleys were called Death Valley and in Cleveland Municipal stadium that was an enormous ball park .... these facts should somehow play into these RECORDS ....

Reaction Score
Pete Rose having 4,256 hits while playing practically his whole career on artificial turf where infield chops bounced so high, that by the time an infielder had a chance to grasp it, often it became a hit .... how many balls that would have slowed down on grass, instead skipped through an infield .... just as Henry Aaron became the alltime homer hitter while playing his home games hitting in banjo box stadiums in both Milwaukee and Atlanta while also playing in other National league parks in Cincinnati and New York that had really shallow dimensions really rubs me the wrong way .... He was a great hitter but for him to ever have had the career homerun title is ludicrous. His home stadiums for most of his career were COMPARATIVELY SPEAKING little league parks if compared to the old Yankee stadium where the power alleys were called Death Valley and in Cleveland Municipal stadium that was an enormous ball park .... these facts should somehow play into these RECORDS ....

If Ichiro had started his career earlier he could have broken Pete Rose hits record, he still had over 3,000 hits despite starting his career at 27, lets say he starts at 21 that would have given him 6 years to get 1,300 hits.

Reaction Score
I think that one of the least impressive records listed is Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. Theoretically you could be hit 250 or less and sustain a 56 game hitting streak. He ended up hitting 408 during that streak instead which is really exceptional but Ted Williams hit 406 for the entire year ..... THE ENTIRE YEAR .... which is more impressive???? Sustaining that pace for the entire season or for 1/3 of the season .... I'm not saying it wasn't impressive but to compare the two .... not even close!!!! He hit 357 for the year, not nearly as impressive as Ted Williams ... Just so you know, I hate the Red Sox and I'm a really big Yankee fan

And Joe won the MVP that year. Think about it, Williams had two Triple Crown season and hit .406. And didn’t win the MVP in any of them.

Reaction Score
I'm sorry, OT, but two events in my life I will never forget. Secretariat/Belmont Stakes 1973 and watching Sputnik overhead in 1957 as a nine year old. (The rest they say is history).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So many great records mentioned. I didn't see the one for tennis - if Serena Williams can't equal Margaret Court's grand slam wins record, I think that record will stand forever.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
True enough, but as extraordinary records go, not losing an AAC game is pretty lowbar:rolleyes:

Ok, that’s fair, so we’ll restrict that record to AAC schools only, and not other teams in other Division 1 Conferences.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Of the records listed here, I think Brett Favre’s consecutive games played streak is the only one that realistically has a chance of being broken.

Reaction Score
In 1917 Ray Chapman had 67 Sac Bunts. Today If it wasn't for National League pitchers there would not be 67 sac bunts in a season. Unfortunately, Ray Chapman passed 3 years later after getting hit in the head with a pitch.

I was watching a replay of 75 WS game 6 the other night. In the 8 & 9th innings, Yastrzemski tried to sac bunt and Pete Rose tried to bunt for a hit.

Reaction Score
Everyone thinks of Gretzky as a scorer, but he had more assists than any other player had points. Think about that for a minute.

Reaction Score
Of the records listed here, I think Brett Favre’s consecutive games played streak is the only one that realistically has a chance of being broken.

Eli had a shot at it screw you Jerry Reese, and screw you Mcapoop.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Penn St. women's volleyball did some insane things that I doubt will ever be repeated in that sport. 109 match winning streak, 4 straight Championships, only lost 2 SETS during an undefeated season in 2008, and both of those were in the National Semi-Final. They won every other match that year 3-0. That is just unbelievably dominant, it's hard to think of a way to compare that to any other sport.

edit--maybe it would like outscoring your opponents in EVERY QUARTER during an entire basketball season

I'll be surprised if that one is broken in my lifetime, especially with so much parity nowadays. That team had 3 Olympians and a 4th who should've been (Fawcett). After those 4 graduated, the two non-Olympian hitters then led Penn State to a 4th straight title. I dont think there will ever be a team as stacked as that squad was.

Reaction Score
Elroy Face, 1959 Pittsburgh Pirates. Posted a 18-1 record with 17 wins in a row. NEVER started a game, was a reliever during the entire season.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
You're probably correct about UConn record, what do you think about Plum's NCAA record 3527? Mitchell made a run but came up short. I don't think Chennedy Carter would've gotten there but a non-issue since she skipped her Sr. year. Dyaisha Fair from Buffalo averaged 22 ppg as a Fr., scored 660, but that leaves her a long way to go. I'm not sure if anyone else is even remotely within range to think about it currently. Maybe that record will fall eventually, but it will take a lot. Ryne Howard is only about 1/3 of the way there after 2 years at Kentucky. You have to be a big scorer right out of the gate as a Fr. and then keep upping your scoring average every year. Don't get injured. Get in some post season games.

It'll happen at some point IMO. EDD/Griner/Mitchell were all within striking distance within a 5 year period. Especially as more top kids play at weaker programs, theyll get to take 20+ shots per game and rack up points from the get go. Not sure when it will happen but my guess is someone breaks it within 20 years.

Reaction Score
Pete Maravich, played JV his Freshman year averaging 43 ppg, never played in the NCAAs, only played in 83 games for his career, no 24 second clock, no 3 point shot.
And these varsity records will be tough to beat:
Season 1,381—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1970 (522 FGs, 337 FTs, 31 games)
Career 3,667—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70 (1,387 FGs, 893 FTs, 83 games)
Average per Game Season 44.5—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1970 (1,381 in 31)
Career 44.2—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70 (3,667 in 83)
Games Scoring at Least 50 Points Season 10—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1970
Season—Consecutive Games 3—Pete Maravich, LSU, Feb. 10 to Feb. 15, 1969
Games Scoring at Least 50 Points Career 28—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70
Games Scoring at Least 40 Points Career 56—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70
Saw him play against the Celts at the Civic Center. He took a pass from a rebound at the Celt's end, about ten feet from the center court line, and off the dribble spun around and threw a behind the back pass to a teammate who was just about under the basket. He could extend the basketball out in front of his body with both hands, drop it and catch it before it hit the ground five times out of five. Try that sometime.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Didnt see it but Stockton's assists and steals I cant ever see being broken. He's almost 4000 ahead of 2nd place and 6000 ahead of 3rd. Steals he is in first by almost 600. He only missed 54 games in a 19 year career.

Lebron's playoff scoring will be hard to top if he continues playing another 3-4 years. 9 trips to the finals while averaging a staggering 29ppg in the playoffs. He's already in first place by about 1000 points. He could easily be ahead of MJ by 3000-4000 by the time he finishes up.

Reaction Score
This isn’t a sports record but Wilt could palm a 16lb bowling ball and hold it straight out from his body!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom