OT: - Sports records that will never be broken | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports records that will never be broken

Reaction Score
In 1941,Joe Dimaggio probably set all kinds of records that will never be broken.He batted .357,30 home runs,125 rbi's accumulated 193 hits,had 541 official at bats and struck out only 13 times.His strikeout to most anything ratio is probably unreachable when almost every batter today strikes out many times that amount.Hitters back then used to choke up with two strikes to keep the ball in play.This made for a more interesting brand of baseball when more plays were on the field of play rather than a boring strikeout when the hitter swings from his heels with two strikes.

The 13 strikeouts by Joe D. was big. It shows how the game has changed. Back then everyone tried to make contact with two strikes. Today, no one ever chokes up. Wade Boggs only struck out 31 times one season and the made a huge thing about it. Now its standard for a power hitter to strike out over 100 times.

Reaction Score
The 13 strikeouts by Joe D. was big. It shows how the game has changed. Back then everyone tried to make contact with two strikes. Today, no one ever chokes up. Wade Boggs only struck out 31 times one season and the made a huge thing about it. Now its standard for a power hitter to strike out over 100 times.

Boggs drinking 70 beers on a flight is equally impressive.

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention John Wooden? 7 consecutive NCAA Championships. That means four consecutive recruiting classes won four National Championships. In those 8 years UCLA on lost five times. Untouchable.

Before and after the streak of 7 he won 10 NCAA Championships in 12 seasons. 22 loses in those 12 seasons. After the 12th Championship he just walked away.

Different time today. Now its all about parity. Still mind boggling.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Rick Barry made 23 consecutive free throws in one game.

I think without a return to steroids, Bonds' 755 Hr's is pretty safe.

Chief Wilson in 1912 hit 36 triples in one season. Incredible.

Because the NFL is now a passing league, Eric Dickersons' 2105 yards in a season seems safe to me as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
A previous thread noted an article that said that who ever between Gino and Tara end up with the most wcbb coaching wins will likely hold the record forever, or at least for a very long time. Major programs don't hire young, unproven coaches as they did 30 years ago and that kind of thing. My prediction is that after Gino and Tara have both hung it up Gino will have the most wins, and that if that record is broken that not a single Boneyarders alive today will be alive to see it.

I completely agree with your observations. Tara and Geno will eclipse Pat’s record of 1098 early this coming season. Tara will get to 1099 first, and will be forever recognized as the first person to break the record, but Geno will finish the season with more wins, and set a new record for most career wins for a D1 coach when they both decide to hang up their whistles.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hitting .400 in the Major Leagues. Ted Williams was the last to do it in 1941 hitting .406.

Gloves have almost tripled in size, getting to more balls. Hitters hit for power, not average (strikeouts have sky rockets). More sabermetrics than we really need. "Round ball, round bat, toughest thing to do in sports." Who said that?

I heard that said, but off the top of my head without looking it up, can’t recall who said it, but I believe it to be true. Also without looking it up, I believe that the last player to come close to hitting .400 for a complete season was San Diego’s Tony Gwynn at .396 I was off 2 points, I looked it up. He hit .394 in 1994.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
All of you that have responded so far have added some remarkable records that definitely belong on this list. Many by their nature and era set, are indeed unbreakable. Please continue.

Reaction Score
Rick Barry made 23 consecutive free throws in one game.

I think without a return to steroids, Bonds' 755 Hr's is pretty safe.

Chief Wilson in 1912 hit 36 triples in one season. Incredible.

Because the NFL is now a passing league, Eric Dickersons' 2105 yards in a season seems safe to me as well.

Adrian Peterson was pretty close I believe he was 9 yards short of it, this was coming off a torn acl and mcl in the same knee of week 17 the previous season total freak of nature.

Reaction Score
I believe the single most “unbreakable” record is the Cy Young one. The specialization in today’s baseball make an already unbreakable record virtually impossible! Geno’s 11 nattys without ever losing a final can proudly stand with the truly difficult ones but Maya’s scoring record, while impressive, is imo not really worthy of that level! I love Maya, but for example, if EDD had stayed and remained healthy, does anyone doubt that she might have scored just as many or more? Other truly great records are Wilt’s 100, a whole slew of Gretzky’s records, Joltin Joe’s hit streak, Ripken’s Iron man record, and one other UConn women’s record that might last longer than even the 11 undefeated NCs! I am referring to the consecutive loss record that is still ongoing with no end in sight! I don’t know the exact number but I believe it is over 900 games and 26 years since we were beaten in two consecutive games? That is truly astonishing and imo may never be approached!

Reaction Score
Isner-Mahut singles tennis match at 2010 Wimbledon is by far the longest match in the history of tennis. The match lasted three days, having to be stopped each of the first two days due to darkness. It took a record 11 hours and 5 minutes of play and a record 183 games to decide a winner. There were numerous other Wimbledon and tennis records set over the course of this one match.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The Cy Young record comes with an asterisk. Leroy “Satchel” Paige pitched in approximately 2500 games over his 30+ year career in the Negro Leagues and eventually MLB. Unfortunately, statistics were not kept in the Negro Leagues, but it is estimated that Paige won as many as 2000 games.

When MLB finally allowed black players, and Paige finally made it to the Show as a 40+ rookie, his remarkable MLB record was 100-50 over 6 seasons. None other than Joe DiMaggio stated that Paige was the greatest pitcher he ever faced. We are left to wonder if Joe D’s 56 game hitting streak would have ever happened if he had to face Paige during that streak.

Reaction Score

Understand your point, but 13 strikeouts in a season is not a record.

Reaction Score
I heard that said, but off the top of my head without looking it up, can’t recall who said it, but I believe it to be true. Also without looking it up, I believe that the last player to come close to hitting .400 for a complete season was San Diego’s Tony Gwynn at .396

Gwynn hit .394.

Reaction Score
The most unbreakable Yankee record is Jack Chesbro's 41 wins in a season when the Yankees were the Highlanders.

Reaction Score
The Cy Young record comes with an asterisk. Leroy “Satchel” Paige pitched in approximately 2500 games over his 30+ year career in the Negro Leagues and eventually MLB. Unfortunately, statistics were not kept in the Negro Leagues, but it is estimated that Paige won as many as 2000 games.

When MLB finally allowed black players, and Paige finally made it to the Show as a 40+ rookie, his remarkable MLB record was 100-50 over 6 seasons. None other than Joe DiMaggio stated that Paige was the greatest pitcher he ever faced. We are left to wonder if Joe D’s 56 game hitting streak would have ever happened if he had to face Paige during that streak.

Love the Negro League players and Paige was a legend, but his MLB W-L record was 28-31.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I heard that said, but off the top of my head without looking it up, can’t recall who said it, but I believe it to be true. Also without looking it up, I believe that the last player to come close to hitting .400 for a complete season was San Diego’s Tony Gwynn at .396
Unfortunately, Gwynn’s .396 came in a season that was abruptly ended with a players strike. As a result, we will never know if Gwynn could have pushed his average over .400 for the season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Love the Negro League players and Paige was a legend, but his MLB W-L record was 28-31.
Thanks for the correction. I had jumbled some of Paige’s stats.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I believe the single most “unbreakable” record is the Cy Young one. The specialization in today’s baseball make an already unbreakable record virtually impossible! Geno’s 11 nattys without ever losing a final can proudly stand with the truly difficult ones but Maya’s scoring record, while impressive, is imo not really worthy of that level! I love Maya, but for example, if EDD had stayed and remained healthy, does anyone doubt that she might have scored just as many or more? Other truly great records are Wilt’s 100, a whole slew of Gretzky’s records, Joltin Joe’s hit streak, Ripken’s Iron man record, and one other UConn women’s record that might last longer than even the 11 undefeated NCs! I am referring to the consecutive loss record that is still ongoing with no end in sight! I don’t know the exact number but I believe it is over 900 games and 26 years since we were beaten in two consecutive games? That is truly astonishing and imo may never be approached!

I definitely should have included UConn’s 111 game winning streak, along with the AAC conference win streak. I agree that Maya’s mark will be eclipsed before either of those will, but none of the Uber great players that have come through UConn to date have cracked the 3000 point barrier. That player may or make not be out there. If she is, I hope to see her soon.

I think the 111 game win streak is as safe as Cy Young’s. With respect to Geno’s 11 championships, I’m suggesting that no other coach will win more. We all expect him to add to that total in the next 6 years.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No mention of Brittney Griner's NCAA blocks record? 748 all time. 2nd place is 85 behind. I don't see it being broken anytime in my lifetime.

Maybe height adjusted??

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom