OT: - Sports records that will never be broken | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports records that will never be broken

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It'll happen at some point IMO. EDD/Griner/Mitchell were all within striking distance within a 5 year period. Especially as more top kids play at weaker programs, theyll get to take 20+ shots per game and rack up points from the get go. Not sure when it will happen but my guess is someone breaks it within 20 years.

One interesting factor is that more players are opting to go pro after playing 3 years recently. That could take a few would be challengers to the record out of contention.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
No horse will ever duplicate or break that Belmont record. He literally ran away from that field and if he'd have kept running he would have lapped them.

Read the Wiki article re the Belmont race and had to run the numbers.

1.5 miles in 2:24 comes out to an average of 37.5 MPH! On dirt, around 2 semi-circles between the straights. And he kept it up for more than 2 minutes, carrying 126 pounds.

Simply mind-boggling.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This isn’t a sports record but Wilt could palm a 16lb bowling ball and hold it straight out from his body!

4 (there are probably more, but these 4 came to mind immediately) basketball players with very large hands that might pull that off: Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Connie Hawkins and Shaquille O'Neil. I've seen their hands = very long fingers.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
3 (there are probably more, but these 3 came to mind immediately) basketball players with very large hands that might pull that off: Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Connie Hawkins. I've seen their hands = very long fingers.
I lived close to St. Bonaventure and had Bob Lanier often come into the bar where my band played. That man was huge in all ways and a great guy. Size 22 shoes and his hands were also oversized. He held a basketball like I would a softball! I'm sure he could do it.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I lived close to St. Bonaventure and had Bob Lanier often come into the bar where my band played. That man was huge in all ways and a great guy. Size 22 shoes and his hands were also oversized. He held a basketball like I would a softball! I'm sure he could do it.

Bob Lanier was a very BIG man indeed. I met the BIG O (Oscar Robertson) once and shook his hand. My hand disappeared in his. I never forgot that. He also has some very LARGE hands which allowed him to shoot those 1 hand set shots he was famous for. I've shaken hands with a lot of people. You remember the people with BIG hands. I also met and shook hands with MLB's "Daddy Wags" (Leon Wagner). His hands were HUGE!! :eek:

1588638366196.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ripken’s record is the most overrated record there is. can’t tell me he didn’t hurt his team never sitting out

Carnac

Reaction Score
The most complete games Cy Young had in a single season was 48 and that is not the record. Someone in the early years had 75. The most complete games last season by any pitcher was 3 so it is safe to say no one is going to approach any records for complete games in a season. For comparison here are the complete games for some of the great pitchers that we older guys were lucky enough to see pitch : Robin Roberts 33 in 1953, Catfish Hunter 30 in 1975, Juan Marichal 30 in 1968, Bob Gibson 28 in 1969 and Sandy Koufax 27 in both 1965 and 66.

Also, don't forget, they DID NOT play 162 game seasons back then like they do today.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Unless robots come along I don't think anyone will pitch 3 no hitters in a row which would break John Van Demer's record....

99% of major league pitchers never throw 3 no hitters in their entire career, let alone back to back to back. :)
Vander Meer's feat had never been done before, and hasn't been done since. THAT record is as safe as Cy Young's "immortal" record of 511 career wins. ;)

Carnac

Reaction Score
In 1917 Ray Chapman had 67 Sac Bunts. Today If it wasn't for National League pitchers there would not be 67 sac bunts in a season. Unfortunately, Ray Chapman passed 3 years later after getting hit in the head with a pitch.

I was watching a replay of 75 WS game 6 the other night. In the 8 & 9th innings, Yastrzemski tried to sac bunt and Pete Rose tried to bunt for a hit.

A minor and respectful correction about Ray Chapman. Raymond Johnson Chapman was an American baseball player. He spent his entire career as a shortstop for the Cleveland Indians. Chapman was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Yankees pitcher Carl Mays and died 12 hours later (not 3 years). Eyewitnesses recounted that Chapman did not react to the pitch at all, presumably unable to see it.

Chapman, like all players at the time, was not wearing a batting helmet when he was hit. Several players began wearing extra protection—usually a plastic insert inside their cap after his death, but the majority of players chose not to for the next three decades. Fortunately Chapman has been the only player in major league history to die from a pitched ball.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A minor and respectful correction about Ray Chapman. Raymond Johnson Chapman was an American baseball player. He spent his entire career as a shortstop for the Cleveland Indians. Chapman was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Yankees pitcher Carl Mays and died 12 hours later (not 3 years). Eyewitnesses recounted that Chapman did not react to the pitch at all, presumably unable to see it.

Chapman, like all players at the time, was not wearing a batting helmet when he was hit. Several players began wearing extra protection—usually a plastic insert inside their cap after his death, but the majority of players chose not to for the next three decades. Fortunately Chapman has been the only player in major league history to die from a pitched ball.

I read this somewhere years ago. I can't vouch for any of it. Maybe someone here knows something.

Chapman's lucky number was 2. He wore uniform number 2. He would only do banking on the second of the month. He batted 2nd and played second base (and shortstop). In his last game, in the field, field he had two put outs, two assists, and two errors. At the plate he had two hits, both doubles. He was also struck by pitch twice. The second one killed him.

Reaction Score

Chapman had 67 sac bunts in 1917. Three years later, in 1920, he got hit in the head and passed 12 hours later. I see and respect your point.

Carnac was a funny gig with Carson. Ed McMahon was equally responsible for the content of Carnac. I think the funniest TV ever was when Rodney Dangerfield was a guest on the Tonight Show. Carson could not contain himself.

Reaction Score
3 (there are probably more, but these 3 came to mind immediately) basketball players with very large hands that might pull that off: Michael Jordan, Julius Erving, Connie Hawkins. I've seen their hands = very long fingers.
Connie’s hands were 11.5 inches from tip of little finger to tip of thumb. :eek:

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention the Miami Dolphins 17-0 undefeated season and Don Shula. Worth mentioning since Shula passed away last night. Only time its happened in modern NFL.

When I was in grad school in Miami in the early/mid 80's I lived in Miami Lakes. Shula lived in Miami Lakes. I had an old pick up with no AC that got me through Undergrad. I was stopped at a light and a Lincoln Town Car pulled up to my left. Shula was in the passenger seat, his wife was driving. I gave him the head nod. After a delay he gave me a half head nod, but never lost the stern look on his face.

Shula's neighbor in Miami Lakes was Earl Weaver.

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention the Miami Dolphins 17-0 undefeated season and Don Shula. Worth mentioning since Shula passed away last night. Only time its happened in modern NFL.

When I was in grad school in Miami in the early/mid 80's I lived in Miami Lakes. Shula lived in Miami Lakes. I had an old pick up with no AC that got me through Undergrad. I was stopped at a light and a Lincoln Town Car pulled up to my left. Shula was in the passenger seat, his wife was driving. I gave him the head nod. After a delay he gave me a half head nod, but never lost the stern look on his face.

Shula's neighbor in Miami Lakes was Earl Weaver.

You know who you can thank for that btw ;) . Speaking of history, 3 road wins and beating an undefeated team in the Super Bowl, will probably never happen again. That Super Bowl 42 was gonna have history either way. RIP Coach Shula

Last edited:
Reaction Score
America's Cup - 132 years
USA Men's Basketball - 61 games
NCAA Football - 47 games (Oklahoma)
Boxing (Heavyweight) - 49 wins

Reaction Score
Night Train Lanes 14 interceptions, he was a rookie and it was only 12 games.

Reaction Score
UConn men's BB - 11 straight post season wins

Won't be beaten unless they extend the post season.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I'll be surprised if that one is broken in my lifetime, especially with so much parity nowadays. That team had 3 Olympians and a 4th who should've been (Fawcett). After those 4 graduated, the two non-Olympian hitters then led Penn State to a 4th straight title. I dont think there will ever be a team as stacked as that squad was.
I put the Penn State 109-match win streak roughly on par with UConn's 111-game win streak. Will be very unlikely to be broken. It takes incredible mental discipline to maintain such prolonged consistency, even with dominant talent on the floor.

The 2008 Penn State team, only because of the near-death experience against Nebraska in the national semis, fell just short of the unchallenged dominance of UConn's best undefeated campaigns (2002, 2008-09, 2014, 2016).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I put the Penn State 109-match win streak roughly on par with UConn's 111-game win streak. Will be very unlikely to be broken. It takes incredible mental discipline to maintain such prolonged consistency, even with dominant talent on the floor.

The 2008 Penn State team, only because of the near-death experience against Nebraska in the national semis, fell just short of the unchallenged dominance of UConn's best undefeated campaigns (2002, 2008-09, 2014, 2016).

109 and 111 streaks are quite similar, although slight edge to Penn State since it spanned over 3 titles. I don't think any of UCONN's title teams dominated to the same degree that the 2008 Penn State team did. As someone else noted, not only did they never lose, but they didn't lose a single set until the national semifinals. That's similar to winning all 4 quarters every single game all season long besides once. Statistically that team was insane with their hitting percentage and overall efficiency. The caliber of opponent was also very good in the NCAAs that year. The team they dropped sets to, Nebraska, had 2 future Olympians and the game was on the road in Omaha in front of the biggest crowd in NCAA history. Then after winning that match, Penn State casually swept an incredibly loaded Stanford team with Foluke/Klineman/Barboza. Texas was the other semifinal team who featured several future national team members including Destinee Hooker who is probably the most dominant indoor player the USA has had in 20+ years.

I will say the overall stretch of UCONN from 2009-2018 is more impressive to me than Penn State from 2007-2014 despite both programs winning 6 titles. UCONN had 4 undefeated seasons, and 2 other undefeated seasons until the Final Four. In 8 of the 10 years UCONN either won the title or had an undefeated season entering the NCAAs. 8 of 10 years, UCONN was the #1 overall seed going into every post season besides 2012 (#3) and 2013 (#3).

Penn State put together 6 titles during their stretch but only in 2008/2009 were they #1 overall entering the tournament, compared to 8 years for UCONN. 08/09 were the only truly dominant Penn State years where they won back to back undefeated titles. Looking at the other years, 2007 was an INSANELY loaded season and a young Penn State team proved to be top dog but they were not the clear cut favorite to win it all going into the NCAAs. 2010 they struggled early before coming on strong and winning a 4th straight. 2011 they weren't very good, and 2012 they lost in the semis largely due to an injury but they weren't a top title favorite that year. 2013/2014 they won it all, but again, they were not odds on favorites entering the post season. Haven't been as good since then, only getting back to the semis once in 2017.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
109 and 111 streaks are quite similar, although slight edge to Penn State since it spanned over 3 titles. I don't think any of UCONN's title teams dominated to the same degree that the 2008 Penn State team did. As someone else noted, not only did they never lose, but they didn't lose a single set until the national semifinals. That's similar to winning all 4 quarters every single game all season long besides once. Statistically that team was insane with their hitting percentage and overall efficiency. The caliber of opponent was also very good in the NCAAs that year. The team they dropped sets to, Nebraska, had 2 future Olympians and the game was on the road in Omaha in front of the biggest crowd in NCAA history. Then after winning that match, Penn State casually swept an incredibly loaded Stanford team with Foluke/Klineman/Barboza. Texas was the other semifinal team who featured several future national team members including Destinee Hooker who is probably the most dominant indoor player the USA has had in 20+ years.
I don't agree with the analogy between winning every set in volleyball and winning every quarter in basketball. That's apples and oranges. The win or loss of a set in volleyball creates a far bigger impact on the closeness of a match than, say, closing the gap from 30 to 25 in a garbage-time 4th quarter. Also, sometimes a straight-set win in volleyball can be in essence much closer than say a four-set win (compare winning 27-25, 29-27, 30-28 to winning 22-25, 25-10, 25-12, 25-9).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I don't agree with the analogy between winning every set in volleyball and winning every quarter in basketball. That's apples and oranges. The win or loss of a set in volleyball creates a far bigger impact on the closeness of a match than, say, closing the gap from 30 to 25 in a garbage-time 4th quarter. Also, sometimes a straight-set win in volleyball can be in essence much closer than say a four-set win (compare winning 27-25, 29-27, 30-28 to winning 22-25, 25-10, 25-12, 25-9).

I agree it isn't quite the same, but they essentially had 1 match all season that was competitive which was the Nebraska match. Aside from that match, the only times all season where Penn State had opponents come within 2 points in a set were vs Stanford and Ohio State. Every single other set was won by 3+, and vast majority were blow outs. Almost every single match had 1-2 sets that were absolute beat downs.

If you compare it to UCONN's best teams during that stretch (IMO 2014/2016) you have:

2016: a couple of games where other teams hung with them through the first half (Notre Dame/DePaul and the game vs. Maryland when they were only up by 4 at home with a minute to go.

2014: played dead even with Maryland and BYU into 2nd half, played very tightly by Baylor through most of 2nd half.

For their overall consistency and never having a threatening game aside from Nebraska, I think Penn State's season as a whole was more dominant than any individual UCONN season, but it's apples and oranges and there's ample room for interpretation. Both programs dominated their respective sport unlike anyone else had ever done during their 6 title stretches.

Reaction Score
Connie’s hands were 11.5 inches from tip of little finger to tip of thumb. :eek:

One point about Chamberlain. It’s not just having a hand large enough to palm a bowling ball. It’s having the strength to then hold it at arms length. He’s probably the greatest combination of strength and athleticism we have ever seen. Virtually a different species from the rest of us.

Reaction Score
One point about Chamberlain. It’s not just having a hand large enough to palm a bowling ball. It’s having the strength to then hold it at arms length. He’s probably the greatest combination of strength and athleticism we have ever seen. Virtually a different species from the rest of us.
Also, when Wilt played with the Harlem Globetrotters, one of their antics involved Meadowlark Lemon collapsing to the ground, but instead of Wilt helping him up, he tosses a 210lb. Lemon up in the air and catches him! :eek:

Reaction Score
You're probably correct about UConn record, what do you think about Plum's NCAA record 3527? Mitchell made a run but came up short. I don't think Chennedy Carter would've gotten there but a non-issue since she skipped her Sr. year. Dyaisha Fair from Buffalo averaged 22 ppg as a Fr., scored 660, but that leaves her a long way to go. I'm not sure if anyone else is even remotely within range to think about it currently. Maybe that record will fall eventually, but it will take a lot. Ryne Howard is only about 1/3 of the way there after 2 years at Kentucky. You have to be a big scorer right out of the gate as a Fr. and then keep upping your scoring average every year. Don't get injured. Get in some post season games.
Sometimes it is a question of minutes. On great teams scorers hit the bench early in runaways.

Reaction Score
Sometimes it is a question of minutes. On great teams scorers hit the bench early in runaways.
and as we're seeing lately, many aren't even finishing their college careers and turning pro!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom