OT: - Sports records that will never be broken | The Boneyard

OT: Sports records that will never be broken

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Since this is a dead period for news or any movement in WCBB, I thought I’d conduct a poll of the most intelligent and knowledgeable fans on the WWW, of records that will never be broken. Before I get started, I urge you to keep it going and add any record(s) from any sport you feel belongs here and will never be broken (or broken in your lifetime). Below are 10 random records in no particular order in the world of sports that many think will NEVER be broken. I know that records are made to be broken, BUT some have stood the test of time, and continue to stand tall over 7+ decades; and are beginning to appear they never will.

You can list them in order that YOU think they will someday be broken, with the last record of those listed to fall on top at number 1. I’ll start close to home with two Uconn records I think will age like a fine wine before they are broken. Post edited to change #2.

1. Geno’s 11 (and counting) WCBB national championships. Kim Mulkey (Baylor) has 3. She is the only active D1 coach with more than 2 NC’s.

2. UConn’s 111 game consecutive win streak and their undefeated American Conference win streak of 139-0 (2013-2020)

3. Joe DiMaggio’s (MLB) 56 game hit streak established in 1941. 79 years ago and counting. Pete Rose came within 12 games in 1978 with 44.

4. Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters. On May 1,1991 at the age of 44, he tossed his last one. I don’t think this one will ever be broken. To break it, someone has to throw 8. :confused: Throwing a no-hitter is like hitting for the cycle. It's possible, but very hard to do. I won't even mention Johnny Vander Meer's (Cincinnati Reds) record of throwing 2 consecutive no hitters back to back in June 1938. This would be my #1 entry on top. It NEVER happened before or since.

5. The “Iron Man” - MLB HOF Calvin Edwin Ripken Jr’s consectutive games played streak. Ripken holds the MLB record for consecutive games played, 2,632, surpassing Lou Gehrig's streak of 2,130 that had stood for 56 years. Many deemed that record unbreakable. 2,632 games = 16.2 years (seasons) without missing a game. :eek:

6. The NFL’s Tom Brady’s 6 SuperBowl wins.

7. Wilt Chamberlain’s NBA record of 100 points scored in a game against the NY Knicks in 1962. (58 years ago.........and counting) Kobe Bryant has come the closest when he scored 81 points in the Lakers' Jan. 22, 2006 victory over the Toronto Raptors. Five things you didn't know about Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game.

8. The NBA’s HOF Bill Russell’s 11 league championships 1957-1969

9. MLB’s Cy Young's 749 complete games and 511 wins.

10. NFL’s Brett Favre's 297 Consecutive Games Played.

For the record, except for number 10, I don’t think any of these incredible records will ever be broken.

OK, get to work. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It seems to me that there are two general types of "unbreakable" records. The first our those are records which represent an unparalleled achievement. To use your list, Brady's championships, Chamberlain's 100 points in a game, and DiMaggio's hitting streak. The second category of unbreakable record are those that are untouchable because the sport has changed in how it is played. An obvious example is any major league pitching record involving wins, shutouts and complete games. So Cy Young and Walter Johnson can rest easy.

Of course, this analysis is a little simplistic. A lot of records are unbreakable because they were a remarkable achievement when they happened, and changes in the game have made them even untouchable. In fairness, Bill Russell and Ryan fall into this category.

Finally, I don't think Geno's 11 championships is an unbreakable record. I fully expect him to break it in the next couple years. ;)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
2. UConn’s Maya Moore’s all time scoring record of 3,036 points. Maya remains the only member of the 3,000+ point club in school history.

You're probably correct about UConn record, what do you think about Plum's NCAA record 3527? Mitchell made a run but came up short. I don't think Chennedy Carter would've gotten there but a non-issue since she skipped her Sr. year. Dyaisha Fair from Buffalo averaged 22 ppg as a Fr., scored 660, but that leaves her a long way to go. I'm not sure if anyone else is even remotely within range to think about it currently. Maybe that record will fall eventually, but it will take a lot. Ryne Howard is only about 1/3 of the way there after 2 years at Kentucky. You have to be a big scorer right out of the gate as a Fr. and then keep upping your scoring average every year. Don't get injured. Get in some post season games.

Reaction Score
Since this is a dead period for news or any movement in WCBB, I thought I’d conduct a poll of the most intelligent and knowledgeable fans on the WWW of records that will never be broken. Before I get started, I urge you to keep it going and add any record(s) from any sport you feel belong here and will never be broken (or broken in your lifetime). Below are 10 random records in no particular order in the world of sports that many think will NEVER be broken. I know that records are made to be broken, BUT some have stood the test of time, and continue to stand tall over 7+ decades and are beginning to appear they never will.

You can list them in order that YOU think they will someday be broken, with the last record of those listed to fall on top at number 1. I’ll start close to home with two Uconn records I think will age like a fine wine before they are broken.

1. Geno’s 11 (and counting) national championships. Kim Mulkey (Baylor) has 3. She is the only active D1 coach with more than 2 NC’s.

2. UConn’s Maya Moore’s all time scoring record of 3,036 points. Maya remains the only member of the 3,000+ point club in school history.

3. Joe Dimaggio’s (MLB) 56 game hit streak established in 1941. 79 years ago and counting. Pete Rose came within 12 games in 1978 with 44.

4. Nolan Ryan’s 7 career no-hitters. On May 1,1991 at the age of 44, he tossed his last one. I don’t think this one will ever be broken. To break it, someone has to throw 8. :confused:

5. The “Iron Man” - MLB HOF Calvin Edwin Ripken Jr’s consectutive games played streak. Ripken holds the MLB record for consecutive games played, 2,632, surpassing Lou Gehrig's streak of 2,130 that had stood for 56 years and counting.........at many deemed unbreakable.

6. The NFL’s Tom Brady’s 6 SuperBowl wins.

7. Wilt Chamberlain’s NBA record of 100 points scored in a game against the NY Knicks in 1962. (58 years ago.........and counting) Kobe Bryant has come the closest when he scored 81 points in the Lakers' Jan. 22, 2006 victory over the Toronto Raptors. Five things you didn't know about Wilt Chamberlain's 100-point game.

8. The NBA’s HOF Bill Russell’s 13 league championships.

9. MLB’s Cy Young's 749 complete games and 511 wins.

10. NFL’s Brett Favre's 297 Consecutive Games Played.

OK, get to work. :)
you forgot UCONN's winning Men and Women's NCAA Basketball championships in same year twice!

Carnac

Reaction Score
You're probably correct about UConn record, what do you think about Plum's NCAA record 3527? Mitchell made a run but came up short. I don't think Chennedy Carter would've gotten there but a non-issue since she skipped her Sr. year. Dyaisha Fair from Buffalo averaged 22 ppg as a Fr., scored 660, but that leaves her a long way to go. I'm not sure if anyone else is even remotely within range to think about it currently. Maybe that record will fall eventually, but it will take a lot. Ryne Howard is only about 1/3 of the way there after 2 years at Kentucky. You have to be a big scorer right out of the gate as a Fr. and then keep upping your scoring average every year. Don't get injured. Get in some post season games.

To break Plum's record, a player would have to average 882 points a year for 4 years. An extremely transcendent player would have to come in and start all 4 years and ball out, and as you suggest, not get hurt or have a prolonged shooting slump. She would have to go at least to the sweet 16 all 4 years.

Don't forget about Lynette Woodard of Kansas, whose career total of 3,649 points makes her the all-time women's college basketball scoring leader. She is not recognized as the NCAA career leader because her entire college career (1977–81) predated NCAA sponsorship of women's sports.[3]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Due to the parody across most sports today there are many that should stand for awhile, UCLA's national championships, of course Geno's, the Celtics 8 consecutive, etc.

Records are made to be broken, yet these might not.

Stephen Gostkowski's consecutive extra point record will not be broken unless they move the line forward again.

Cal Ripken's probably never.

I do not follow hockey that closely any longer, but I believe that Gretsky's points is safe. I recently read that they took away all his goals, that he would still have the record for points simply based on assists.

Richard Petty's win total will also probably never be challenged.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Don't forget about Lynette Woodard of Kansas, whose career total of 3,649 points makes her the all-time women's college basketball scoring leader, is not recognized as the NCAA career leader because her entire college career (1977–81) predated NCAA sponsorship of women's sports.[3]

Yes, remarkable record, and unfortunate that it doesn't get official recognition.

Carnac

Reaction Score
It seems to me that there are two general types of "unbreakable" records. The first our those are records which represent an unparalleled achievement. To use your list, Brady's championships, Chamberlain's 100 points in a game, and DiMaggio's hitting streak. The second category of unbreakable record are those that are untouchable because the sport has changed in how it is played. An obvious example is any major league pitching record involving wins, shutouts and complete games. So Cy Young and Walter Johnson can rest easy.

Of course, this analysis is a little simplistic. A lot of records are unbreakable because they were a remarkable achievement when they happened, and changes in the game have made them even untouchable. In fairness, Bill Russell and Ryan fall into this category.

Finally, I don't think Geno's 11 championships is an unbreakable record. I fully expect him to break it in the next couple years. ;)

Absolutely!! :D These next 2 classes should garner at least 2 (possibly 3) national championships. I was referring to other coaches eclipsing that mark.

Last edited:

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Since this is a dead period for news or any movement in WCBB, I thought I’d conduct a poll of the most intelligent and knowledgeable fans on the WWW of records that will never be broken.
Green Bay Packers 13 NFL championships (Super Bowl is a marketing term for NFL championship)
I don't see the Bears (8) nor the Giants (8) exceeding 13.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
You're probably correct about UConn record, what do you think about Plum's NCAA record 3527?
Lynette Woodard of Kansas, whose career total of 3,649 points makes her the all-time women's college basketball scoring leader, is not recognized as the NCAA career leader because her entire college career (1977–81) predated NCAA sponsorship of women's sports.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lynette Woodard of Kansas, whose career total of 3,649 points makes her the all-time women's college basketball scoring leader, is not recognized as the NCAA career leader because her entire college career (1977–81) predated NCAA sponsorship of women's sports.

Carnac scooped you. I was aware of this, that's why I carefully worded it "NCAA record."

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Consistency being the hobgoblin etc.... Secretariat's Triple Crown. Broke all 3 records though a timing snafu in the Preakness screwed him over there. The Belmont record broken by 2 and 3/5 seconds.

Reaction Score
Cy Youngs 511 career wins is the most unbreakable record ever and its really not even close, its improbable well ever see a 300 game winner again. While the records the OP posted are highly unlikely there is at least an opportunity to have those records broken there is zero opportunity of breaking Cy young's records Clemens and Randy Johnson got to 300 wins after age 40, and this is when pitchers would go past 100 pitches per start and try to push past 6-7 innings.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
-Mariano Riveras 652 career saves, 44 saves at age 43.

- Rickey Hendersons 130 SB in a season

- Wilt Chamberlain 50.4 ppg average in a season

-Pete Rose 4,256 career hits (ridiculous whats more ridiculous is hes not in the HOF)

-

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A previous thread noted an article that said that who ever between Gino and Tara end up with the most wcbb coaching wins will likely hold the record forever, or at least for a very long time. Major programs don't hire young, unproven coaches as they did 30 years ago and that kind of thing. My prediction is that after Gino and Tara have both hung it up Gino will have the most wins, and that if that record is broken that not a single Boneyarders alive today will be alive to see it.

Reaction Score
Hitting .400 in the Major Leagues. Ted Williams was the last to do it in 1941 hitting .406.

Gloves have almost tripled in size, getting to more balls. Hitters hit for power, not average (strikeouts have sky rockets). More sabermetrics than we really need. "Round ball, round bat, toughest thing to do in sports." Who said that?

Reaction Score
In 1941,Joe Dimaggio probably set all kinds of records that will never be broken.He batted .357,30 home runs,125 rbi's accumulated 193 hits,had 541 official at bats and struck out only 13 times.His strikeout to most anything ratio is probably unreachable when almost every batter today strikes out many times that amount.Hitters back then used to choke up with two strikes to keep the ball in play.This made for a more interesting brand of baseball when more plays were on the field of play rather than a boring strikeout when the hitter swings from his heels with two strikes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom