OT: - Sports records that will never be broken | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Sports records that will never be broken

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Being that this is the first Saturday in May, a significant date for horse racing fans, here are a few achievements of the turf which aren't likely to be eclipsed:

* Kelso won Horse of the Year accolades five consecutive years.
* Kelso won the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup five consecutive years.
* Forego carried 130 pounds or more on 24 occasions, winning 13 times.
* Secretariat won the Belmont Stakes by 31 lengths.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
1. Geno’s 11 (and counting) national championships. Kim Mulkey (Baylor) has 3. She is the only active D1 coach with more than 2 NC’s.

OK, get to work. :)
I'm guessing you mean WCBB only. I'm sure this record has been duplicated in other sports. Anson Dorrance, for instance.

Ted Williams hitting .406 comes to mind.

Reaction Score
I think Pete Rose's record is breakable. Athletes can play longer and longer.

I feel like DiMaggio's might be as well. That one strikes me as an improbable series of coin flips rather than flat out skill and that could always happen again. You could say that modern plate approaches makes it more unlikely.

100 point game...very very unlikely, but Kobe got relatively close. A team and player would have to really gun for it.

Reaction Score
Yogi Berra won the World Series 10 times. In 18 seasons he played in 14 world series. He also holds WS record for at bats, hits, doubles,

Mickey Mantle's 18 World Series homeruns

Very unlikely, but Breakable. See Tom Brady. No one would have imagine that or the Patriots dynasty before it happened.

Reaction Score
Consistency being the hobgoblin etc.... Secretariat's Triple Crown. Broke all 3 records though a timing snafu in the Preakness screwed him over there. The Belmont record broken by 2 and 3/5 seconds.

No horse will ever duplicate or break that Belmont record. He literally ran away from that field and if he'd have kept running he would have lapped them.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
No horse will ever duplicate or break that Belmont record. He literally ran away from that field and if he'd have kept running he would have lapped them.

Interestingly enough an unofficial clock kept running at the Preakness through his end of race run out and that t was a track record for the longer distance. For the longer Belmont he broke a sweat ... barely. After the ceremonies he was led back to the barn area where a track official administered a saliva test for banned substances. There was quite a crowd back there and one of racing's preminent reporters recalls that as the official did it - mind you the horse had just done the inconcievable - a woman in the crowd said: "Will you look at that. They're treating him like just another horse."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always felt 511 wins was the most unbreakable record. 20+ wins in 25 seasons. Never again.
His complete game record is even more unbreakable. Most pitchers have fewer in a career than he had in a season

Reaction Score
Did anyone mention John Wooden? 7 consecutive NCAA Championships. That means four consecutive recruiting classes won four National Championships. In those 8 years UCLA on lost five times. Untouchable.

Before and after the streak of 7 he won 10 NCAA Championships in 12 seasons. 22 loses in those 12 seasons. After the 12th Championship he just walked away.

Different time today. Now its all about parity. Still mind boggling.
Let’s not forget that Freshmen were ineligible at the time and there were JV squads with unlimited scholarships available. He not only recruited the best players; he also was able to keep talent away from the competition. College basketball was also not all that popular nationally at the time; very few in season games were on TV.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you mean WCBB only. I'm sure this record has been duplicated in other sports. Anson Dorrance, for instance.

Ted Williams hitting .406 comes to mind.
.406 is not even close to being a record.

Reaction Score
Tony Dorsett's 99 yard touchdown run vs the Vikings. Can only be tied but never broken on a 100 yard field.

Last edited:

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
In fact, eased up, Secretariat broke Swaps' world record for a mile and five-eighths.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
9. MLB’s Cy Young's 749 complete games and 511 wins.
OK, get to work. :)
The most complete games Cy Young had in a single season was 48 and that is not the record. Someone in the early years had 75. The most complete games last season by any pitcher was 3 so it is safe to say no one is going to approach any records for complete games in a season. For comparison here are the complete games for some of the great pitchers that we older guys were lucky enough to see pitch : Robin Roberts 33 in 1953, Catfish Hunter 30 in 1975, Juan Marichal 30 in 1968, Bob Gibson 28 in 1969 and Sandy Koufax 27 in both 1965 and 66.

Reaction Score
Rickey Henderson's 1,406 career steals. Rogers Hornsby's six year streak where his lowest batting average was 370. .370, .397, .401, .384, .424, .403 He was the greatest hitter ever with both power and average. You'll rarely see any batter hit .350.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The most complete games Cy Young had in a single season was 48 and that is not the record. Someone in the early years had 75. The most complete games last season by any pitcher was 3 so it is safe to say no one is going to approach any records for complete games in a season. For comparison here are the complete games for some of the great pitchers that we older guys were lucky enough to see pitch : Robin Roberts 33 in 1953, Catfish Hunter 30 in 1975, Juan Marichal 30 in 1968, Bob Gibson 28 in 1969 and Sandy Koufax 27 in both 1965 and 66.

Thanks for the correction. :)

Reaction Score
South Carolina holds the NCAA record for consecutive wins (22) in the national tournament and the longest win streak ever at the CWS (12 in a row from 2010 to 2012) in which the Gamecocks played for national titles all three years. This is not losing a game in the regionals, super regionals, or CWS during the 3 year run. SC finally lost a game right before they played for their 3 title.

The second longest streak ever is not even close.

Reaction Score
Cornell's men's NCAA hockey - only undefeated/untied team in history.

And no, Ken Dryden was not the goalie !!!!

Reaction Score
Pete Maravich, played JV his Freshman year averaging 43 ppg, never played in the NCAAs, only played in 83 games for his career, no 24 second clock, no 3 point shot.
And these varsity records will be tough to beat:
Season 1,381—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1970 (522 FGs, 337 FTs, 31 games)
Career 3,667—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70 (1,387 FGs, 893 FTs, 83 games)
Average per Game Season 44.5—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1970 (1,381 in 31)
Career 44.2—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70 (3,667 in 83)
Games Scoring at Least 50 Points Season 10—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1970
Season—Consecutive Games 3—Pete Maravich, LSU, Feb. 10 to Feb. 15, 1969
Games Scoring at Least 50 Points Career 28—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70
Games Scoring at Least 40 Points Career 56—Pete Maravich, LSU, 1968-70

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Penn St. women's volleyball did some insane things that I doubt will ever be repeated in that sport. 109 match winning streak, 4 straight Championships, only lost 2 SETS during an undefeated season in 2008, and both of those were in the National Semi-Final. They won every other match that year 3-0. That is just unbelievably dominant, it's hard to think of a way to compare that to any other sport.

edit--maybe it would like outscoring your opponents in EVERY QUARTER during an entire basketball season

Last edited:
Reaction Score
South Carolina holds the NCAA record for consecutive wins (22) in the national tournament and the longest win streak ever at the CWS (12 in a row from 2010 to 2012) in which the Gamecocks played for national titles all three years. This is not losing a game in the regionals, super regionals, or CWS during the 3 year run. SC finally lost a game right before they played for their 3 title.

The second longest streak ever is not even close.
Wait s second, 22 consecutive NCAA wins? Wouldn't 4 consecutive wins be at least 24 wins, not even counting the wins in the fifth season? I'm perplexed...

Reaction Score
I definitely should have included UConn’s 111 game winning streak, along with the AAC conference win streak. I agree that Maya’s mark will be eclipsed before either of those will, but none of the Uber great players that have come through UConn to date have cracked the 3000 point barrier. That player may or make not be out there. If she is, I hope to see her soon.

I think the 111 game win streak is as safe as Cy Young’s. With respect to Geno’s 11 championships, I’m suggesting that no other coach will win more. We all expect him to add to that total in the next 6 years.
We’ll just agree to disagree on the Comparative difficulty of the Win streak and Cy Young. I see the Cy Young record as essentially impossible! The win streak clearly is not! Imo, of course.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
We’ll just agree to disagree on the Comparative difficulty of the Win streak and Cy Young. I see the Cy Young record as essentially impossible! The win streak clearly is not! Imo, of course.

I started this thread because I wanted to find out what other posters thought. That especially includes those that have a different point of view. Thanks for responding. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Since I only follow baseball records:

Dimaggio's 56 game hitting streak. Outside of Tony Gwynn, you do not have the disciplined hitters needed to even come close.

Ripkin's consecutive games played streak.

Bond's career homerun record of 762. Very few legit power hitters who can stay healthy and play long enough. It's the record, steriods or not.

Peter Rose's all time games played. Again, it goes to health and longevity.

Nolan Ryan's 7 no hitters. Game has changed. Most starters never go 9 innings.

Now to women's basketball:
Uconn women's 111 game win streak. And their 11 National Championships. Teams come and go but no team has had the prolonged success of Uconn.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think the 12 straight Final Fours for Geno and his Huskies is another “unbeatable” record...I believe the next closest is five...unbelievable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom