Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I always look forward to your analysis as they are always spot on and unbiased! This was the best game I’ve seen SC play all year! Even though it was a loss I’m very encouraged about the rematch at the end of conference play!

Good to see you changed your mind about Herbert Harrigan. Just last year I distinctly remember you saying you didnt see her improving much. The player tonight is what Dawn saw when she recruited her! Dawn thinks she can be an AA and WNBA player if she can consistently play how she did tonight. I think I agree she just needs to stay focused and push harder. I’m hoping cooper stays as well. Despite her performance tonight I think she can learn so much more and become even better! Hope she makes the right choice.

Thanks for the kind words--Herbert Harrigan looked much better tonight than I've ever seen her before. She looked so smooth and comfortable on the perimeter which I've never seen. Really nice release too on her shot. She has a ways to go, but with her size, length and perimeter skills she could be a really interesting prospect at the next level. Would love to see her continue making strides. Despite the loss I thought it was a great showing for SC after a rough start. In the rematch SC needs to find a way to keep McCowan off the boards which I think can be done if they bait Mississippi State into taking perimeter shots. Long shots=long rebounds that McCowan wont get to. If Mississippi State gets in the lane and shoots everything from 5-15 feet, McCowan will have a field day like she did today. Not sure if SC can pull it off but it should be a good matchup.

McCowant looked much more confident and aggressive going up against SC than I've ever seen her before. Last year she looked quite timid in both matchups even though she rebounded well in the regular season game. MSU is going to be a nightmare to match up with if she plays as aggressively as she did tonight. I honestly think this is as good as I've seen her, Danberry, Cooper and MHH play before. Really good game tonight to have on ESPN to help grow the sport.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think Victaria Saxton is strong enough to box out McCowan, at times, when we play in Columbia. I don't think Alexis Jennings is 100%, yet. I thought both teams played well, with rebounds ultimately the difference. There isn't bad blood between USC and MSU, but there sure is between USC and Mizzou. Expect a barn burner on Monday night.

Reaction Score
Vic has done a lot with some not so highly ranked players over the past few years. Breanna Richardson, Dominique Dillingham, Chinwe Okorie, Blair Schaefer, and Morgan William weren’t highly rated prospects, but he took that core (plus Ro Johnson, Victoria Vivians, and Teaira McCowan) to a final four.

Dawn has recently had the pleasure of some highly touted players - A’ja Wilson, Alana Coates, Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis, etc. and won an NC with them.

Reaction Score
Vic has done a lot with some not so highly ranked players over the past few years. Breanna Richardson, Dominique Dillingham, Chinwe Okorie, Blair Schaefer, and Morgan William weren’t highly rated prospects, but he took that core (plus Ro Johnson, Victoria Vivians, and Teaira McCowan) to a final four.

Dawn has recently had the pleasure of some highly touted players - A’ja Wilson, Alana Coates, Allisha Gray, Kaela Davis, etc. and won an NC with them.
Yes, and among that group Dominique was my favorite all time MSST player. She was not the most talented but she gave 110% all the time!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If I was a WNBA general manager, the first paragraph of this story would excite me.
The second one would concern me.

"Mississippi State's 6-foot-7 senior forward had one of the best games of her career, finishing with 26 points and 24 rebounds to lead the seventh-ranked Bulldogs over No. 15 South Carolina 89-74 at Humphrey Coliseum.

"'Teaira McCowan -- she's one of the all-time greatest when she's hooked up and playing," Schaefer said. "She's been really interested the last two ballgames. I like this side of T. She's been really interested, very focused on technique and very determined.'"

Once a player is in the pro's, one would think a coach and/or GM don't have to worry about which player is going to show up.

Link to whole story: South Carolina vs. Mississippi State - Game Recap - January 17, 2019 - ESPN

Reaction Score
If I was a WNBA general manager, the first paragraph of this story would excite me.
The second one would concern me.

"Mississippi State's 6-foot-7 senior forward had one of the best games of her career, finishing with 26 points and 24 rebounds to lead the seventh-ranked Bulldogs over No. 15 South Carolina 89-74 at Humphrey Coliseum.

"'Teaira McCowan -- she's one of the all-time greatest when she's hooked up and playing," Schaefer said. "She's been really interested the last two ballgames. I like this side of T. She's been really interested, very focused on technique and very determined.'"

Once a player is in the pro's, one would think a coach and/or GM don't have to worry about which player is going to show up.

Link to whole story: South Carolina vs. Mississippi State - Game Recap - January 17, 2019 - ESPN

She had a total different motor last night than she did in the Oregon game. I for one am interested to see how her game translates at the next level. She won’t be able to just stand around the lane and grab rebounds for put backs. Their are centers(Griner, Cambage, Fowles) who are just as big and strong to keep her out of the lane and off the glass! Wonder how she will adjust especially with the professional level being much faster than college. It’ll be something to watch for!

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I wouldn't want to take on either of these teams in the state we're in now.

Absolutely. Some real players on both teams. Both the Mississippi State and South Carolina girls can flat out BALL. I'm surprised we won rather convincingly, given South Carolina looked like a top 10 team tonight, and depending on some luck with seeding could give the elite 8 a run for its money this year. Most teams can't match the fierce and aggressive play of their guards and small forwards, without a star like McCowan to compensate.

Reaction Score
Who knows? Dawn was a really good coach when she had A'ja. Vic has been a really good coach since T started playing well a couple of years ago.
He was doing that without McCowan. She didn’t significantly produce until last year I think. He has elevated that program EVERY year consistently. Talk about a quick program change. The man can coach and I can’t emphasize that enough. I’m excited to see what he does with Rickea Jackson.

For some reason, there are a lot SC fans that think MS St won’t be able to compete with them next year. I guess they’re excited about the incoming freshmen. They don’t realize that seniority rules with Dawn and you can’t place high expectations on freshmen to lead you anywhere. The only one of those freshmen that’ll get playing for sure is Boston. All the others have people in front of them.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
SC lobbed up some pretty much ill-considered shots down the stretch. MSU was aided by a strong and loud crowd.
Additionally, SC shot lights out from beyond the arc for most of the game. Kept them in it. If the don't shoot 60% from 3-point range for 3 quarters, it's a blowout.

Reaction Score
I was impressed with the improvement of the South Carolina team. They have made a lot of progress as a team vs when I saw them play in the Oregon State game at the Vancouver showcase. South Carolina will be an extremely difficult out in the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
For some reason, there are a lot SC fans that think MS St won’t be able to compete with them next year. I guess they’re excited about the incoming freshmen. They don’t realize that seniority rules with Dawn and you can’t place high expectations on freshmen to lead you anywhere. The only one of those freshmen that’ll get playing for sure is Boston. All the others have people in front of them.

1. Haven’t seen anyone say miss state can’t compete.

2. USC’s biggest weakness is the post, particularly defense/rebounding, so Boston/Amihere will make a big difference.

3. McCowan is the thing USC has no answer for this season and Howard would be the next best player to me. With usc no longer being forced to account for TM, defense on guards should be better.

I do think fortunes should probably reverse next season, but expect it to be a battle.

Reaction Score
He was doing that without McCowan. She didn’t significantly produce until last year I think. He has elevated that program EVERY year consistently. Talk about a quick program change. The man can coach and I can’t emphasize that enough. I’m excited to see what he does with Rickea Jackson.

Boston will most likely start at Center next year alongside HH, Jackson, Harris, and Cooper(if she stays). That leaves more than enough room for Cooke, Amihere and beal to come in and provide an impact off the bench. No one ever said they would come in and instantly lead us but they will definitely give a needed boost to our scoring, rebounding and defense.

Reaction Score
Having gone to Catholic schools , I was always hoping the quote about the spirit being willing, but the flesh being weak would manifest itself. However, the good sisters of St Joseph made sure there was no such opportunity. ;)
Dawn is a better coach than Vic???

I obviously prefer Vic but between him and Dawn I think it's 6 in one hand half a dozen in the other. I think they both appeal to a different type of player but both teams personalities mimic their coaches and both play their butts for their respective coaches.

Reaction Score
Yes, and among that group Dominique was my favorite all time MSST player. She was not the most talented but she gave 110% all the time!

As she was mine, by the end I may have loved that young lady more than any of the great hardnosed men we've had. She had a lot of Timmy Bowers intangibles and toughness in her.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Absolutely. Some real players on both teams. Both the Mississippi State and South Carolina girls can flat out BALL. I'm surprised we won rather convincingly, given South Carolina looked like a top 10 team tonight, and depending on some luck with seeding could give the elite 8 a run for its money this year. Most teams can't match the fierce and aggressive play of their guards and small forwards, without a star like McCowan to compensate.

The Men's NCAA Tournament 1st and 2nd rounds are going to be held in Columbia this year, so if our WBB team gets a top 4 seed, we will either have to host elsewhere in SC or go on the road as a higher seed. Our old arena is now the practice facility, so we couldn't play there anymore.

Reaction Score
The Men's NCAA Tournament 1st and 2nd rounds are going to be held in Columbia this year, so if our WBB team gets a top 4 seed, we will either have to host elsewhere in SC or go on the road as a higher seed. Our old arena is now the practice facility, so we couldn't play there anymore.

I thought it was already determined that we would play in Greenville if we were to host.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I thought it was already determined that we would play in Greenville if we were to host.
I haven't heard that, but it's certainly possible to host there or in Charleston.

Reaction Score
I haven't heard that, but it's certainly possible to host there or in Charleston.

Greenville would make more sense since the team would have just been there for SEC Tourney and be more familiar with the building.

I certainly hope that the Athletic Department has worked hard on brainstorming what they will do for this bid considering it's been a known issue for some time.

Not really acceptable to simply tell them to go play on the road. That'd be particularly dangerous with a team like we have this year that really is susceptible to a bad shooting night.

Reaction Score
Greenville would make more sense since the team would have just been there for SEC Tourney and be more familiar with the building.

I certainly hope that the Athletic Department has worked hard on brainstorming what they will do for this bid considering it's been a known issue for some time.

Not really acceptable to simply tell them to go play on the road. That'd be particularly dangerous with a team like we have this year that really is susceptible to a bad shooting night.
I thought the next highest seeded team would host. I know Michigan State was a four seed and MSST a five and since Michigan State arena was already committed MSST hosted those games, believe it has been done other times. I do not know if any team has ever hosted the initial games at other than their home arena. Not sure, anybody know different?

Reaction Score
David Cloninger addressed this in a story last week. Greenville and N. Charleston likely out :
But where would they play? CLA is not an option. Greenville’s Bon Secours Wellness Arena is already booked that weekend for a comedy show featuring “The Daily Show” host Trevor Noah and Greenville Swamp Rabbits hockey. North Charleston Coliseum is also out due to another Noah performance and South Carolina Stingrays hockey.

Other arenas within the state are also booked, although some, such as Charleston’s TD Arena and McAlister Field House, remain free. The NCAA 2019 host operations manual also clarifies that a host site may be played within 30 miles of its regular gym should the regular gym not be available, but the “committee retains flexibility to make an exception to this policy when necessary.”

Bloom said that no site has been finalized, which is sensible considering USC can’t ask an arena to plan for an event that may not happen. The Gamecocks have to earn a host spot before they can host.

South Carolina women will have to travel for NCAA basketball tournament
TD Arena and McAlister seats 6,000 or less making the incentive for the NCAA to move it for USC less so as they could draw probably close to that number at another Top 16 seeded program.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't think she plays dirty. She is rugged. Also, any Tennessee player who wants to go after Sophie in their next game better think real hard, seeing how she has been into marshal arts since middle school. Just saying.
Yeah and Arike is misunderstood...Head bang

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak