"Sources" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Sources"

Reaction Score
You aren't wrong to be frustrated but there is nothing to do about it. As UConn junkies, we want more information than less. Just remember that no one has an unblemished track record. And please, lets remember (not you necessarily) that if a guy positions himself as KO's best buddy and confidant, it is not necessarily true. The miss calls haven't bothered me as I didn't take them seriously. The new meme that the staff is being blindsided by recruits and is incompetent is being based entirely on a phony wannabe and this is what bothers me.

Interesting that you called it a meme. It is one. It is a narrative that has dominated this board for weeks, even though we've seen plenty of evidence that the staff knew more all along. And I'm glad that the confidante actually posted the actual words of what he was told today so that we could actually see how he misinterpreted things. That was helpful, at least, so he deserves credit for that.

As for coaches finding out during a press conference that they lost a recruit who they thought they had in the bag, that is really common, and there are hundreds of examples. It has happened to Nick Saban before. I can't really remember it happening to Calipari (and no, I'm not talking about Bamba; I'm talking about a kid who tells the staff he is coming, only to go elsewhere). And when Tremont Waters chooses a school that is not Creighton, UConn or Western Kentucky, people here might suggest that the staff somehow slept while a new suitor swept in within days and outrecruited them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We lost a recruit to a bottom feeding BE team St. John's, who is in a conference that is better than ours and perceived to get many more bids than ours will. This is an albatross around KO's neck. I don't understand why so many here forget that because I think it has been a big factor. Our campus, academics, championship history, NBA players and facilities blow St. John's away and if we were in a better conference these recruits come to us.

Sorry, but the Big East or conference had nothing to do with it. We had no problem bringing top recruits year after year in the AAC, culminating to Top 6 or 7 Recruiting class in the nation a year ago. And at the start of this year a top 20 recruiting class. It wasn't our conference either that led to the defection of 4 of these top national recruits a month ago.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I feel like this forum is plagued by "sources" that have been very innacurate past several months. How do we fix this? Too many people posting too many sources.

You would think the people who repeatedly post information that proved to be wrong, would pull a Homer Simpson fade away into the bushes, and cut back on posting.

Nope.

Reaction Score
Yup, the AAC is a death sentence and we are losing our appeals

Just ugly

That clown Aresco calling it a P6 should be canned for that statement alone

I think the whole league got 3 4* football recruits and Ohio State had like 15+

We lost a recruit to a bottom feeding BE team St. John's, who is in a conference that is better than ours and perceived to get many more bids than ours will. This is an albatross around KO's neck. I don't understand why so many here forget that because I think it has been a big factor. Our campus, academics, championship history, NBA players and facilities blow St. John's away and if we were in a better conference these recruits come to us.

Reaction Score
This is all extremely comical to me. No one here knows a single thing. Oz??? Lol. Uconn99, Oz, Zion, all of these people...........jokes lol. Seriously unreal that now all of a sudden there "sources" are coming out. Are you all really this blind? Unreal, stupid, immature.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
This isn't the first time.. anyways I've had a few cocktails so maybe I'm being dramatic. End of the day I just hate seeing UConn lose recruits they wanted just like everyone else

They're going to be wrong again.

And it still won't matter.

But at least they're wrong for free...the guys losing the recruits are pulling down like $4,000,000 a year.

Reaction Score
Yup, the AAC is a death sentence and we are losing our appeals

Just ugly

That clown Aresco calling it a P6 should be canned for that statement alone

I think the whole league got 3 4* football recruits and Ohio State had like 15+

Blaming the AAC is simple minded stone throwing. When looking for blame for this (hopefully) brief downturn in UCONN Men's basketball the fans and the program should point with the thumb. Joining the C7 league is not a solution it is surrender.

Here's a clue for you surrendering cowards:
Joining the C7 league is not bringing Calhoun back and it is his loss that has caused this setback more than anything else.

Reaction Score
This weirdo @UConnfan8 is stalking me. Im making this public in case i turn up missing or worse

Everyone loves cheerleaders. You take it way too far though my man.

Hopefully your mini pass season tickets to the XL will come in handy this year.

Reaction Score
I disagree

Go look at 2017 NBA mock drafts, when you remove Euro dudes there are like 4-5 non-P5 kids and 35+ P5

All these top kids want to believe they'll get to the league and easier to talk about competition, preparedness, etc.

Blaming the AAC is simple minded stone throwing. When looking for blame for this (hopefully) brief downturn in UConn Men's basketball the fans and the program should point with the thumb. Joining the C7 league is not a solution it is surrender.

Here's a ****** clue for you surrendering cowards:
Joining the C7 league is not bringing Calhoun back and it is his loss that has caused this setback more than anything else.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I feel like this forum is plagued by "sources" that have been very innacurate past several months. How do we fix this? Too many people posting too many sources.
Only pay attention to @Zionn. He said all along that Wilson was going to be uphill, and he's already warned us about bad news incoming re: Waters.

No disrespect to everyone else's work, but Zionn's the only one who's consistently been correct afaik. The rest is entertainment.

Reaction Score
Only pay attention to @Zionn. He said all along that Wilson was going to be uphill, and he's already warned us about bad news incoming re: Waters.

No disrespect to everyone else's work, but Zionn's the only one who's consistently been correct afaik. The rest is entertainment.

He is the man...

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
He is the man...
No disrespect to you btw – your stuff has been good more often than not. But Zionn is the only one whose word I don't take with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
When push comes to shove of course I'd like to hear information proportedly from a good source it has just got out of hand and feels like anyone could just post and say they heard from a source that Lebron's son has his eyes set on uconn then everyone freaks out for the next 5+ years or whatever it is.

FWIW A source tells me I like alcohol and pizza on Saturday nights

Reaction Score
He is talking to a booster, not the staff.

And who do you think that booster is getting their information from?

We all know it's flimsy to place too much stock in the words of second hand sources and at its worst all of this recruiting gossip becomes a bad game of telephone.

But there has been enough smoke to enough recruitments at this point to piece together this narrative you speak of. It isn't just Oz, who I think is being unfairly scapegoated - it's also 99 and recently huskyforlife. I mean we can even go back to the initial Tevin Mack recruitment in the fall of 2014 or whenever it was when 99 posted something indicating we were in great shape and it never materialized. Then there was the Diamond Stone recruitment, the Diallo debacle, the Diarra "formality" (though I'm unsure how much the staff wanted him), and now this in addition to at least a couple others I'm missing.

Ultimately only the bottom line matters, but I think it's fair to look at a couple of these recruitments and conclude one of the following:

1. The staff is extremely liberal with the information they give out and doesn't really care if they turn out to be wrong.

2. The staff is misinterpreting the cues they get from recruits and projecting confidence where it shouldn't exist.

The first one doesn't really matter. It's not their job to make sure the boneyard knows what is going on and if we have to take "we're in good shape with player x" in the same vein as "so and so put on 40 pounds of muscle" back in the Calhoun days, so be it.

If it's the second one it means they don't know how to play the game. And that's a big problem.

I have a hard time believing it is the second one if only because Chill is so acclaimed. Sometimes you just lose, and there is nothing you can do. I'm disappointed that he hasn't done more to salvage the 2017 class, but we're going to have to give him at least 2018 before we decide whether the move has paid off.

Reaction Score
This is all extremely comical to me. No one here knows a single thing. Oz??? Lol. Uconn99, Oz, Zion, all of these people......jokes lol. Seriously unreal that now all of a sudden there "sources" are coming out. Are you all really this blind? Unreal, stupid, immature.
You know what's extremely comical to me? Someone who comes on a message board in the offseason to get more info about recruiting, then lashes out at the messenger like a petulant child when the info that they've sought out is wrong.

So here's an idea: unless someone is forcing you to read recruiting threads, come back in the fall when the season starts.

Reaction Score
And who do you think that booster is getting their information from?

We all know it's flimsy to place too much stock in the words of second hand sources and at its worst all of this recruiting gossip becomes a bad game of telephone.

But there has been enough smoke to enough recruitments at this point to piece together this narrative you speak of. It isn't just Oz, who I think is being unfairly scapegoated - it's also 99 and recently huskyforlife. I mean we can even go back to the initial Tevin Mack recruitment in the fall of 2014 or whenever it was when 99 posted something indicating we were in great shape and it never materialized. Then there was the Diamond Stone recruitment, the Diallo debacle, the Diarra "formality" (though I'm unsure how much the staff wanted him), and now this in addition to at least a couple others I'm missing.

Ultimately only the bottom line matters, but I think it's fair to look at a couple of these recruitments and conclude one of the following:

1. The staff is extremely liberal with the information they give out and doesn't really care if they turn out to be wrong.

2. The staff is misinterpreting the cues they get from recruits and projecting confidence where it shouldn't exist.

The first one doesn't really matter. It's not their job to make sure the boneyard knows what is going on and if we have to take "we're in good shape with player x" in the same vein as "so and so put on 40 pounds of muscle" back in the Calhoun days, so be it.

If it's the second one it means they don't know how to play the game. And that's a big problem.

I have a hard time believing it is the second one if only because Chill is so acclaimed. Sometimes you just lose, and there is nothing you can do. I'm disappointed that he hasn't done more to salvage the 2017 class, but we're going to have to give him at least 2018 before we decide whether the move has paid off.

Oz laid out the responses he received verbatim.

When someone tells you, "We're good when Wilson commits," you take that to mean that Wilson is "officially ours?" This is the problem right there. What is reported in the poster's words is different than the supposed staff's words. We saw this again when Oz said "No one else is leaving UConn." In fact, the staff had been told another player was leaving back when that quote was made.

Reaction Score
The posters on this board are appreciated for sharing what boosters, staff, etc tell you.

The value of that information for us, is that we can see whether the staff knows what the hell they are talking about.

Clearly, the biggest problem here is that the staff cannot be realistic in their self-assessments and accurate forecasting.

Ask anyone in biz, that is the real skill. living in reality.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom