Sorry but need help now more than ever, Best Frozen Pizza? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sorry but need help now more than ever, Best Frozen Pizza?

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Papa Murphy's take and bake? Their thin crust is pretty good, coming from a guy who worked in New Haven for years. I'm no scientist but worst case, if something's on the pie and assuming you can even get it by eating contaminated food, can a virus survive 425 degrees for 20 minutes?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
There’s a NYC company that makes frozen kosher slices that are quite edible. Cheese and sauce only, of course. Google tells me it’s Amnons

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I've had Zuppardi's from Big Y, adding sautéed broccoli rabe to a bacon pie, and sautéed broccoli to a sausage pie. Both were improved from their meatball pie as is. Good enough.

Also, put my own sauce, cheese, crumbled sausage, and broccoli rabe on G WoodGrilled crusts from the Pizza Gourmet, also bought at big Y. Also good enough.

Soon, I'll tempt fate and add sauce, cheese and toppings to a plain Caulipower crust. Yep, Big Y.

All were on sale.
As Homer Simpson once said, "Oh sure, they get you addicted then jack up the price."

Reaction Score
NOT Ellio's.
Portnoy likes it, I’m with him on Elio’s. Crap but I grew up on it so it’s my crap. Haven’t had it in years but there’s something comforting about it. But in CT, the 500th best pizza place is still solid so never a need for frozen pizza here.,

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
These guys send frozen deep dish from Chicago. It’s pricey but amazing:

My son liked the deep dish after visiting Chicago and seeing a bunch of cousins from my wife's side of our family. For his birthday last year we did the Lou Malnati's frozen delivery. I think the magic number was 5 it 6 pies to make the unit cost tolerable.
As for taste,nothing at all like the real thing. The delivered pies were too soggy and wet I'm the middle and crust wasn't as buttery or flaky as the real thing. Was fun as a one time purchase but wouldn't do it again or recommend it.
On a Side note Rudy Malnati is one helluva a bigger than life personality and does a ton to help out military in the Midwest.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Shocking.... UConn board with a bunch of pizza snobs....;)

California Pizza kitchen and Paul Newman's are decent. Tried Costco... wasn't a fan.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
nice to see that the world has figgered out that the red baron 'brick oven' thing is, as to
value, a quality choice...around $4. digorno blows, and is a ripoff at around $6. freschetta 'brick oven' is also a fine product, more like rb, but costs around $6. of course, there is the original frozen pizza, 'Tony's,' which is pretty good too, and around threefiddy. I did not know that reviewers had recognized the rb product. aboot time. we do find, however, a curious reality spanning all brands. that is, they all seem to make us thirstier (legit, as in water or etc.) than homemade, or legit pies from a quality baker. prolly the funny sounding stuff in the frozens' ingredients. and yes, they still make tree tavern pies, but they're dinky, like 18 oz dinky, instead of a legit version of the others when you can hit the high 20s, or cross into the 30s with a digorno, but digorno blows...umm, wait, i repeat myself. add ur own stuff at home-boom! a 3 pounder. hey, ya gotta eat...

Reaction Score
Tried to explain to my almost 20 year old, born in Texas and has never experienced the corner pizza shop. He has been to Pepe’s on several trips home and understands the quality but just can’t comprehend that each town has 10-20 great pizza places. He appreciates the difference between our local Grimaldis franchise and that the common Texas pizza and the “New York” style pizza places vary greatly in quality but just does not get it fully.

I used to go to zupardis often when I was a kid. Tried their frozen pizzas from the local central market and was not impressed. I really laugh at anyone that might confuse digornio for delivery?? Frozen pizzas just don’t do it. I am still jealous of everyone that can can get great pizza at any time.

Reaction Score
Udis GF ones are better than most of the regular brands. Their margherita is solid. They're just expensive.

Newman's Own is the best bargain per taste ratio. You can get them on sale for $1
Sorry where are you claiming you get Newman’s pizzas for $1?

I rarely eat frozen pizzas but Newman’s to me are good and worth the money. Tried a digiorno restaurant style or something like that which was surprisingly good too

Reaction Score
Sorry where are you claiming you get Newman’s pizzas for $1?

I rarely eat frozen pizzas but Newman’s to me are good and worth the money. Tried a digiorno restaurant style or something like that which was surprisingly good too
Shop Rite has them on sale for $1 pretty often

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We had delivered pizza a couple
of days ago. Given the virus concern, charge it over the phone, add a tip, have the deliverer leave by the door, pick the box up with gloves on,micro the pizza for 30 seconds even if it’s still hot, and trash the box. If your favorite pizza place doesn’t deliver, most places doing take out are willing to bring it to the car. They are just happy for the business.

I doubt they still have it, but Elio’s I think it was, was a good frozen pizza when I was a kid.

Reaction Score
@UconnMICK just posted a Barstool review on Red Baron in the Best Pizza thread. Apparently they're the best Dave Pageview has had so far. And DiGiorno's sucks ass.

I always liked Tree Tavern as a kid, but I don't know if they even make that anymore.

Anyway, I'd make my own. My freezer doesn't have room for pizza boxes. And making your own is 1000x better.
I was surprised to see Tree Tavern still in the supermarkets. It’s been sooo long I’d rather just keep the memory of it being a tasty stoners delight because but it probably tastes like ketchup on cardboard

Reaction Score
Aldi "Mamma Cozzi" isn't too bad, pretty cheap as well. As a kid I LOVED Papa Gino's and I know they make a frozen pie nowadays, too. No idea if it's any good though.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Tree Tavern still in the supermarkets. It’s been sooo long I’d rather just keep the memory of it being a tasty stoners delight because but it probably tastes like ketchup on cardboard
you're probably right. my memories of it were before I was a stoner.

Reaction Score
David Portnoy's One Bite Challenge has Amy's on top so far with a 6.4, Red Baron coming in second with a 6.2.

Di Giorno came in at 2.8, for comparison purposes.

New Haven big 3 were in the 8s. Again, for reference purposes.

Dave Portnoy is the best and highly entertaining.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom