Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Anyone else worried about Christyn? She is playing like she in quicksand. 6 TO tonight and she got beat to several lose balls.
I commented two games ago that CW hasn't played that well, now for about 5 games. I was accused of negativity, but it's plain to see from here. You commented she may be tired from a summer full (over full from my vantage) of traveling and basketball. She's been inconsistent in her pull ups, inconsistent from the arc, and turning the ball over when she goes into the lane. Yes, it's worrying.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I think the posts about Christyn were a little harsh. Only she and Megan were getting rebounds (Olivia's were surprisingly low), and she made a key score at the end of Q4 when she got to the ball that Anna Mak knocked free of one of the DePaul players. Her tendency to gather offensive fouls can be frustrating, though I think Bruno trains his kids well in drawing them. She is normally one of the best scorers under the basket either in transition or just penetrating, but I think the team needs to figure out how to exploit this talent.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
That's not counterintuitive at all, makes damn good sense. The real problem is that it is going to go over the heads of the growing Geno is not giving Aubrey a chance crowd.
I don't agree with that. I saw AG play and I think she plays well against a helter skelter type team. She played like that in high school so she is used to it.

Reaction Score
I think the posts about Christyn were a little harsh. Only she and Megan were getting rebounds (Olivia's were surprisingly low), and she made a key score at the end of Q4 when she got to the ball that Anna Mak knocked free of one of the DePaul players. Her tendency to gather offensive fouls can be frustrating, though I think Bruno trains his kids well in drawing them. She is normally one of the best scorers under the basket either in transition or just penetrating, but I think the team needs to figure out how to exploit this talent.
Olivia had so few rebounds because DePaul intentionally pulled her outside. It was their strategy for their half court offense. On the other side of the ball, she scored 19 points and we drastically out rebounded DePaul. Where is the downside?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
It was 55-29 at the half. Over the next 13 minutes, UConn was outscored 37-15. I don't care if Geno was reining them in with Wonder Woman's magic lasso. The defense has to be good enough to not give up 3 points per minute to anyone.
Yes, and if UConn had continued to score like they did in the first half, the game never would have gotten close.
I was not commenting on the defense. Geno does not reign his teams in when it come to defense. The weak three point defense has been with UConn for the last four seasons, even against teams that don't usually shoot three pointers accurately..

Reaction Score
This isn't a complaint, but can anyone explain why Geno is benching Aubrey Griffin? Since her coming- out game, her minutes have been severely limited. And when she does play, she brings energy & effort.
Yes .. I'd like an explanation why Aubrey and Molly saw limited action .. they are our two best perimeter defenders, eh?

Reaction Score
Yes .. I'd like an explanation why Aubrey and Molly saw limited action .. they are our two best perimeter defenders, eh?
I’d guess Aubrey gets limited minutes due to her understanding of the offensive system. The spacing gets really thrown off when she is in the game. Sometimes it looks like she is a bit lost on that end. Agree she is a good defender, but DePaul will score regardless. You need decent defense and the ability to score in order to beat them.

Reaction Score
Second that. The way she is playing right now, she is getting way too many minutes. Makurat and Griffin at present bring more to the table. Let’s hope that changes.
If she makes 2 layups and 1 more 3 you guys would be saying The complete opposite

Reaction Score
Not sure who belittled you and how. Calling for people who disagreed with your opinion to apologize is most definitely disrespectful. If everyone on the BY had exactly the same opinion about everything, this would be a really dull forum.
No one belittled me...it was to other posters who expressed concern about Depaul's 3 pt shooting. People are free (and encouraged) to disagree... but there is a big difference between posing a different opinion and disparaging those whose express a different opinion.

Reaction Score
I was at the game and my major takeaway was that Walker right now is unstoppable - DePaul tried everything including face guarding her - to no avail. Yes Uconn needs to correct some things but then what team doesn't. Lets enjoy the ride - It's going to be quite thrilling

Reaction Score
That’s what we live for. That’s why the players wanna play here. If Rueck is such a fan maybe he should follow suit and stop munching on Liberty, Southern Utah, UC Irvine, etc. Then maybe players like Russell, Westbrook, Van Lith, et al, might think about staying home.
I like the way you think. I'm sure Coach Rueck's next move will be to join the American Athletic Conference to beef up OSU's conference schedule

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I like the way you think. I'm sure Coach Rueck's next move will be to join the American Athletic Conference to beef up OSU's conference schedule
Beaver tails do provide a good bit of shade.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Squeaks has been off her game for about 4 or 5 games. In a couple, foul trouble has made her passive. But I want to give her credit for getting some strong rebounds late in tonight's game and corralling 11 caroms overall. She didn't let some shooting woes or charge calls take her out of the game. That's a good sign.

Reaction Score
Last season Christyn could basically move without the ball, find a spot and Lou or Crystal would get the ball to her in a position to finish. This year, Christyn is trying to create off the dribble a lot more, and she is not as effective, at least so far.
She is terrible off the dribble. Opponents have scouted her now and know how to defend against her. Just imagine if Geno ever used her as the back up point?! She also gives up defensively when someone beats her, putting too much pressure on her teammates. Right now, she is a liability, not an asset.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Granddaughter at UNLV?

No, she graduated in May. It’s her BFF. She’s a real sweetheart from Hawaii. Big day tomorrow with an after graduation party for family and friends at Bally’s. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="EricLA, post: 3368690, member: 26
I though Anna played well, except for that boneheaded out of bounds play

I wouldn't be surprised if that move she made is legal in Europa rules.
[/QUOTE]
I wondered about that. She seemed surprised at the call. Of course she gave the ref a crusty after being called for a foul. I saw a dramatic uptake in her game, more aggressive play.

Reaction Score
I spoke about this before. IMO she seems to dribble into double teams and most times it ends with a TO. She did it once tonight but I don't remember if she was taken out shortly after. But I love her play, besides that.
I noticed that TO. She’s potentially a great individual player but sometimes it looks like she has little connection with the other four on the floor and team chemistry goes south. She’s young but it is a tough path for players who often were their teams in high school. Paige, in comparison, works well with her high school teammates.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if that move she made is legal in Europa rules.

No. Definitely not legal in international play. She clearly just forgot that there hadn’t just been a made basket.
[/QUOTE]
Right, that’s It, from a guy who started the second half in a high school game sinking a beautiful all net 20 foot jumper into the opponents basket, forgetting we had changed ends.

Reaction Score
I'm an Oregon State Fan, and I love the UConn program as well. No feud here.
Yeah, I root for PAC-12 teams, being in Colorado, when not watching UConn. Just like Tara’s mom, who lives in Boulder and roots for Buffalos except on those nights her daughter’s team is in town.

Reaction Score
SNAP!

Reaction Score
To my eye, CW is really struggling with her confidence. With 7:44 to go in 2nd qtr, CW completely airballs a wide open 3. That is a kid overthinking almost every aspect of her offense and playing indecisively. Hopefully she can get past this because she's so important to this team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dear Santa, what I would really like is for UConn to play at home again.

Reaction Score
I believe Geno reigned them in again in the third quarter. They were blowing DePaul out and if they had continued to, they would have scored over 100 points and I don't think Geno wanted that. UConn did not continue to push the ball like they did in the first half. UConn scored almost 30 points in the first quarter and scored barely more than that in the entire second half. In the first half, UConn out rebounded DePaul big time and defended all out. Did you watch only the second half? UConn still scored 84 points with the slow down and numerous turnovers.
the same Geno that has an avg MOV of over 38 and his team avg 98 pts the previous 3 games against DePaul? UConn was just bad and DePaul very good in the 2nd half. Credit where credit's due.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom