Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="EricLA, post: 3368690, member: 26
I though Anna played well, except for that boneheaded out of bounds play

I wouldn't be surprised if that move she made is legal in Europa rules.
[/QUOTE]
I think she thought it was after a made basket. Which would have been legal.

Reaction Score
UConn checklist;
1. Beat the 16th ranked team, in Chicago, for DePauls 1st home loss....check
2. Held the nations #1 offensive shooting team (90.4 pts/gm) to 74 pts...check
3. Come out from Chicago with a win...check

On the downside, for this poster, very disappointed (concerned :rolleyes: ) to see so many empty seats (2,621 in attendance) for a top 16 match.
Yes, I thought poor attendance was odd.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Losing to a ranked team on the road would not in itself have been a disaster, but blowing a 26 point lead is never a good thing. And the 21 turnovers are concerning. CW and Anna had 10 of those turnovers. Still work to be done. Gritty job at the very end and that will pay dividends going forward.
I think 4 of those were charging calls. (2 each)

Reaction Score
Tale of two halfs...build a 26 point lead and then...

DePaul hit 9 of 19 from the three in the second half after 2 of 13 in the first...
Exactly- Three point shooting is volatile. Usually, teams that live by the three, often die by the three. Great three point shooting is not the best way to play- you need balance. Doug does the best he can with the players he can recruit. That said, I really like the way Doug’s teams play- he has a style that he has committed to. Fun to watch as opposed to Harry’s Villanova teams.

Reaction Score
Anyone else worried about Christyn? She is playing like she in quicksand. 6 TO tonight and she got beat to several lose balls.
Your right Williams just wasn't hustling after loose balls just reaching out . As good a player as she can be she just doesn't assert herself as much as she can. She should follow Walkers leadership.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I thought UConn defended reasonably well in the 2nd half
The difference was DePaul shooters went from sub-conscious to unconscious
Couldn't hit the side of the barn in the 1st half, had a stretch in the 2nd where every wild shot went in.

But Uconn did let their offense stagnate...and the combination of DePaul's hustle and determination and UConn's passivity made the game closer than need be.

By the way, One of the complaints about DePaul is that they don't defend...I thought (esp in the 2nd half), they defended quite skillfully.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Christyn hit a mid-range pull-up in the lane (forgot when)
That looked like she could have 15-20 times a game if she (and Geno) so desired.
Drive hard to the hoop...stop... pull up inside 15.
Money.
(Would also open her continuation to the hoop).

Reaction Score
Your insight seems a little bit off now... and a bit condescending to those who had concerns... what do you say now, when Depaul cut it to 4 pts late?
TonyC probably would say---A True Uconn Fan is a True Uconn fan when the going is good or tough.
I worried when they got the score down to 4, but that was me a glass 1/2 full of dust til the end. @Tonyc isn't so easily shaken.

Reaction Score
I think the posts about Christyn were a little harsh. Only she and Megan were getting rebounds (Olivia's were surprisingly low), and she made a key score at the end of Q4 when she got to the ball that Anna Mak knocked free of one of the DePaul players. Her tendency to gather offensive fouls can be frustrating, though I think Bruno trains his kids well in drawing them. She is normally one of the best scorers under the basket either in transition or just penetrating, but I think the team needs to figure out how to exploit this talent.
I think the posts about Christyn were a little harsh. Only she and Megan were getting rebounds (Olivia's were surprisingly low), and she made a key score at the end of Q4 when she got to the ball that Anna Mak knocked free of one of the DePaul players. Her tendency to gather offensive fouls can be frustrating, though I think Bruno trains his kids well in drawing them. She is normally one of the best scorers under the basket either in transition or just penetrating, but I think the team needs to figure out how to exploit this talent.
No actually they were right on. Williams has not been hustling after loose balls or playing the way she is capable. Maybe she was hurt or something. But one thing for sure she needs to step up her play to help the team more.

Reaction Score
TonyC probably would say---A True Uconn Fan is a True Uconn fan when the going is good or tough.
I worried when they got the score down to 4, but that was me a glass 1/2 full of dust til the end. @Tonyc isn't so easily shaken.

...but maybe stirred? :D

Reaction Score
Olivia was told to play a bit further out on defense that lowered her rebounds. She was however an offensive force. They had to foul her to stop her scoring. CW, I've been her fan even in Conway Arkansas (yes her home is North Little Rock) but she isn't great dribbling in traffic. I agree with the short jumpers she's good at that.
She posts up the 3 shot well as @oldude pointed out. Doug had Uconn passing lanes figured out well

Reaction Score
Exactly- Three point shooting is volatile. Usually, teams that live by the three, often die by the three. Great three point shooting is not the best way to play- you need balance. Doug does the best he can with the players he can recruit. That said, I really like the way Doug’s teams play- he has a style that he has committed to. Fun to watch as opposed to Harry’s Villanova teams.
I agree! Totally. Doug has had a 3 point shooting team for a long long time. His propensity to shoot the 3 is to be expected and for them to score 9 of 19 or 3 of 13 is par for them. What hurt more than the 3's was their helter skelter (effective) doubling the ball on every position in the 2nd half. They are a smart team and scouted Uconn well they knew where the passes were going before they were thrown and where Uconn had weaknesses.

Reaction Score
Had to chime in with a couple thoughts from the game. Someone mentioned the charge calls - I thought for a lot of the game I was watching soccer with all the flops DePaul was making. Refs called too many of them. It seems to be part of their game to create turnovers. Why didn't Geno call a time out early in the second half? I think he wanted to see if the team could figure it out on their own (they could not). That created a great teaching point for the next practice. They won. That says a lot. I've finally figured out that Geno doesn't lie when he says he doesn't care if they lose an early game of two if it makes them better in March. He put the players on the floor that were best at knowing where to be and not get lost. The others need to get that part of the game down soon.

Reaction Score
Your right Williams just wasn't hustling after loose balls just reaching out . As good a player as she can be she just doesn't assert herself as much as she can. She should follow Walkers leadership.
When a Uconn kids isn't asserting herself as she should and Geno isn't seen lecturing her during the game---you can bet she isn't up to par physically.

Reaction Score
Had to chime in with a couple thoughts from the game. Someone mentioned the charge calls - I thought for a lot of the game I was watching soccer with all the flops DePaul was making. Refs called too many of them. It seems to be part of their game to create turnovers. Why didn't Geno call a time out early in the second half? I think he wanted to see if the team could figure it out on their own (they could not). That created a great teaching point for the next practice. They won. That says a lot. I've finally figured out that Geno doesn't lie when he says he doesn't care if they lose an early game of two if it makes them better in March. He put the players on the floor that were best at knowing where to be and not get lost. The others need to get that part of the game down soon.
In the last 3 games, at least, Flopping has been the significant defense against Uconn. Typically against ONO or Megan. Depaul took it to a new level and went after the other 3 also. A touch got them flaying as they careen across the floor.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The DePaul players are floppers. The charge call on Megan in the 2nd half was ridiculous. Geno's reaction: "She fell down." They're worse than Notre Dame.

Worse than Notre Dame? :eek: I didn’t think that was possible. :confused:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know how you could defend against the 3 when 4 players were knocking them down with ease. DePaul is a team to be reckoned with. with their passing there will always be a 3 point shooter in position.

DePaul has to be one of the fittest teams we'll see. Quick hands and they didn't quit. We handily beat their late game press to get back to the ten point margin. Their desperation threes also missed. No warries mates.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Everyone here knows that there are “ebbs” and “flows” throughout the season. We expect that. There will be stretches where they look invincible, then there will be stretches that will have us wondering If they have suddenly lost their skills, or left them in the dressing room.

Some games are routine mundane non emotional exercises, with little to no learning moments. Other games are like this one. Teachable moments and learning experiences from tip to buzzer. UConn played two very different halves yesterday, and still found a way to win. They could have given out or given up, but they didn’t.

This was a good game for our girls to experience. A lot to be learned from this game. They walked out of that arena knowing that they had just been severely tested, and passed. Every team needs a game or two like this every year. Why? Because these types of games either builds character or reveals it. ;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wygyschk

Top Bottom