Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

Reaction Score
The best players initiate or make plays. IMO, when she does that, Williams seems to have her best stretches of play. Too often she’s hesitant and has to react instead of controlling the action like she has the ability to do. She should try watching video of Bueckers, that’s how you attack a game and it can be done within the framework of UConn’s offense as Auriemma encourages Dangerfield to do. But you have to have that drive between the ears to do it and we’ll see if she’s got it.
We shall have the option to see Paige's videos as a College player, then the comparison means something.

Reaction Score
So does Kyla and so does Molly. Geno isn’t getting to another Final 4 without these players contributing. This team will tire like last year’s team.
It's just that I think Aubrey's the only one that will be able to contribute against teams like Stanford, Oregon, etc. But she isn't ready to do that yet. She needs lots more minutes, and maybe even then she may not be ready. Kyla has been in the system for 3+ years, and if you watched her closely last night, I don't see how anyone can see her really competing against the best teams. Off the bench to spell someone for a couple of minutes,ok. Reduce her minutes, increase Aubrey's, and maybe Crystal has a chance at a championship.

Reaction Score
It's just that I think Aubrey's the only one that will be able to contribute against teams like Stanford, Oregon, etc. But she isn't ready to do that yet. She needs lots more minutes, and maybe even then she may not be ready. Kyla has been in the system for 3+ years, and if you watched her closely last night, I don't see how anyone can see her really competing against the best teams. Off the bench to spell someone for a couple of minutes,ok. Reduce her minutes, increase Aubrey's, and maybe Crystal has a chance at a championship.
The problem with that plan is that it reduces Anna’s minutes and she is far, far more valuable. Aubrey should spell CW.

Reaction Score
The problem with that plan is that it reduces Anna’s minutes and she is far, far more valuable. Aubrey should spell CW.
it doesn't matter who goes in for whom. Anna should be starting, and get Aubrey into the game for anyone, except Dangerfield. the way offenses are run these days , it really doesn't matter. bottom line, I just think Kyla's getting minutes that can be better used somewhere else. jmo

Reaction Score
It's a little deeper than can Aubrey play well against a helter skelter type teams. It deeper because we are game 9 of the season, Aubrey is a freshmen, there is a bigger picture here, and this is not high school. The bigger picture is March and April. One of the reason Geno plays teams like DePaul is to expose his team to different styles of play so that when tournament time comes around they are better prepared. Let's not forget Aubrey did play yesterday so she got her feet wet. As freshmen KLS, Napheesa Collier and Megan Walker played limited minutes against DePaul.
I think it's fair to say that the team when Collier and Samuelson were frosh is a bit different than this year's team. This team starts 2 upperclassmen that are players, plus 2 sophs and a frosh( I'm referring to Anna, who should be starting),Yes, there is a bigger picture here. Come March, April if Aubrey has only been getting her feet wet, there's not much chance that she will be able to contribute. This team can't win with 4 players. Can Aubrey get to the point where she is contributing? there's only one way to find out, imho.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think it's fair to say that the team when Collier and Samuelson were frosh is a bit different than this year's team. This team starts 2 upperclassmen that are players, plus 2 sophs and a frosh( I'm referring to Anna, who should be starting),Yes, there is a bigger picture here. Come March, April if Aubrey has only been getting her feet wet, there's not much chance that she will be able to contribute. This team can't win with 4 players. Can Aubrey get to the point where she is contributing? there's only one way to find out, imho.
Aubrey is already at the point where she is contributing. She is the team's best perimeter defender and only instinctive rebounder. She will be a better contributor in Mach and April. Trust the process that Geno has perfected.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I read all these comments and then re-watched the game. I do not understand the deprecation of Christyn's play. Yes, she committed a few bad turnovers and missed some close-in layups that she almost always makes, but that happens to every player every so often. I did not see any lack of hustle at all on Christyn's part, and she was indispensable on the defensive boards -- I think that is why she played all those minutes. And she certainly hustled on the play near the end when Anna dislodged the ball at midcourt and Christyn ran and got it for a layup.

Can someone point to specific instances where they thought that she wasn't hustling, preferably with a citation to the clock time in the game when it occurred? I was looking for that as I re-watched the game, and I just didn't see it.

I do agree with those who say that Anna should be starting, that Aubrey should get more minutes, and that Kyla should get somewhat fewer minutes. But Kyla did get 5 rebounds in the first half, including several contested ones. I think she can play 10-15 minutes against top teams -- she is at least as athletic as Erin Boley, for example.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I read all these comments and then re-watched the game. I do not understand the deprecation of Christyn's play. Yes, she committed a few bad turnovers and missed some close-in layups that she almost always makes, but that happens to every player every so often. I did not see any lack of hustle at all on Christyn's part, and she was indispensable on the defensive boards -- I think that is why she played all those minutes. And she certainly hustled on the play near the end when Anna dislodged the ball at midcourt and Christyn ran and got it for a layup.

Can someone point to specific instances where they thought that she wasn't hustling, preferably with a citation to the clock time in the game when it occurred? I was looking for that as I re-watched the game, and I just didn't see it.

I do agree with those who say that Anna should be starting, that Aubrey should get more minutes, and that Kyla should get somewhat fewer minutes. But Kyla did get 5 rebounds in the first half, including several contested ones. I think she can play 10-15 minutes against top teams -- she is at least as athletic as Erin Boley, for example.
Christyn has already proven to us that she can play at a very high level. Last night was not stellar and her last 5 games have been lethargic. Here is specifically what I saw and I wish I could point out when exactly during the game. In the 2nd quarter there was a lose ball scramble above the DePaul basketball. UCONN basketball demands that you get on the floor and get the ball. Instead of going to the floor Christyn bent over and lost the scramble. A few minutes later she gave up two offensive rebounds when DePaul beat her to the inside along the baseline. Again UCONN basketball demands that you don't give up inside position and if that DePaul player was that determine to get inside you ride her out of bounds. Christyn got beat repeatedly on technique and effort neither of which were acceptable nor were her 6 turnovers.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
No, she graduated in May. It’s her BFF. She’s a real sweetheart from Hawaii. Big day tomorrow with an after graduation party for family and friends at Bally’s. :D
Enjoy your day and I'm sorry about the cold weather here in Vegas.:eek:

Reaction Score
Soooo- I played basketball in high school 1965-1969. We did not wear bloomers- we wore kilts and pinneys with our number- same uniform we wore for field hockey. Of course, we did play with those asinine rules- 6 players- 2 rovers, 2 defenders, 2 forwards. In the fall of 69 as a college freshman at UMASS, they started playing boys rules, but only rec basketball- no girls team. There was a varsity field hockey team.

Reaction Score
That’s what we live for. That’s why the players wanna play here. If Rueck is such a fan maybe he should follow suit and stop munching on Liberty, Southern Utah, UC Irvine, etc. Then maybe players like Russell, Westbrook, Van Lith, et al, might think about staying home.
Agreed. This would have been the year to do so for Oregon State. The Beavs have done recent home-and-away agreements with Tennessee and Notre Dame, but committing to do the same with UConn has either not been pursued or hasn't worked out for the two parties.

The UC-Irvine game this year was part of the Preseason WNIT tourney and beyond the control of Rueck and his assistant coaches (who typically handle the scheduling). Liberty was also a part of a two-day tournament that the Beavs won in Miami during Thanksgiving. They do plead guilty to scheduling Southern Utah. Guilty as charged.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Bruno trains his kids well drawing them. She is normally one of the best scorers under the basket either in transition or just penetrating said:
True. DePaul flops more than most teams. Replays of several of the charging calls showed minimal contact. DePaul's players step in and meekly fall backward frequently.

Reaction Score
it doesn't matter who goes in for whom. Anna should be starting, and get Aubrey into the game for anyone, except Dangerfield. the way offenses are run these days , it really doesn't matter. bottom line, I just think Kyla's getting minutes that can be better used somewhere else. jmo
That is a plan that would work. It gets Aubrey minutes in which to develop in UConn system while providing needed stability in CD, CW, Liv, MW and AM—those five will drive team, AG will provide spark and relief, the remaining players relief with most minutes going to Kyla.

Reaction Score
Aubrey is already at the point where she is contributing. She is the team's best perimeter defender and only instinctive rebounder. She will be a better contributor in Mach and April. Trust the process that Geno has perfected.
Geno spent season searching for fifth starter before finally settling on Lou, only to see her injured.

Reaction Score
Agreed. This would have been the year to do so for Oregon State. The Beavs have done recent home-and-away agreements with Tennessee and Notre Dame, but committing to do the same with UConn has either not been pursued or hasn't worked out for the two parties.

The UC-Irvine game this year was part of the Preseason WNIT tourney and beyond the control of Rueck and his assistant coaches (who typically handle the scheduling). Liberty was also a part of a two-day tournament that the Beavs won in Miami during Thanksgiving. They do plead guilty to scheduling Southern Utah. Guilty as charged.
Guilty of scheduling Missouri State, DePaul, and Miami, who have been in the AP TOP 25 at one time or another this season. Difficult to predict which teams are going to be tough competition one year (or more) in advance of making your schedule (BYU for example). When you play in the toughest conference in D1 WCBB, there is no issue with Rueck scheduling a few OOC cupcakes to break in his new players to D1 Collegiate basketball. Teams like UConn who play in a weak conference have no choice but to schedule a tougher OOC schedule. And UConn has consistently done so. It's all good!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guilty of scheduling Missouri State, DePaul, and Miami, who have been in the AP TOP 25 at one time or another this season. Tough to know which teams are going to be tough competition one year (or more) in advance of making your schedule. When you play in the toughest conference in D1 WCBB, there is no issue with Rueck scheduling a few OOC cupcakes to break in his new players to D1 Collegiate basketball. Teams like UConn who play in a weak conference have no choice but to schedule a tougher OOC schedule. And UConn has consistently done so. It's all good!
Uconn had the toughest OOC when they were in the old big east which was the best conference before they broke up.

Reaction Score

No worries. Just the Boneyard showing its appreciation for a sophomore getting a double-double against a ranked opponent... Head bang

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno spent season searching for fifth starter before finally settling on Lou, only to see her injured.
:eek: LOL ....Only to see her injured in the FF, during an undefeated championship season?
BTW KLS became the full time (5th) starter during the Temple game. That was only UCONN's 16th game of the season in which they would eventually play 38 games.

Reaction Score
Soooo- I played basketball in high school 1965-1969. We did not wear bloomers- we wore kilts and pinneys with our number- same uniform we wore for field hockey. Of course, we did play with those asinine

TD: Glad you are young enuf to have missed out on the bloomers. Doubt that you'll ever escape asinine rules though.

Reaction Score
:eek: LOL ....Only to see her injured in the FF, during an undefeated championship season?
BTW KLS became the full time (5th) starter during the Temple game. That was only UCONN's 16th game of the season in which they would eventually play 38 games.
Right. I just assumed everyone was familiar with Lou’s history at UConn. I knew it was around mid season and hated seeing her go down at FF. L0l

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was trying to say that Aubrey, come March,April, against the top teams, would be a factor. Certainly she is already contributing, when given the chance. But they really haven't played any of the powers. regarding Geno's process: of recent seasons I think he's been a bit short of perfection. I'm already concerned that Aubrey is beginning to think too much on the offensive end. let her go at it, Geno! watching the tentativeness of Megan for 2 years was painful.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I was trying to say that Aubrey, come March,April, against the top teams, would be a factor. Certainly she is already contributing, when given the chance. But they really haven't played any of the powers. regarding Geno's process: of recent seasons I think he's been a bit short of perfection. I'm already concerned that Aubrey is beginning to think too much on the offensive end. let her go at it, Geno! watching the tentativeness of Megan for 2 years was painful.
Megan's problem in her freshman year was not tentativeness, it was laziness. Her sophomore year should have been her freshman year, and now we are finally seeing Megan playing at something close to her potential, and we are finding that it is in the same altitude as Maya and Napheesa. But the butterfly would never have emerged (at the present level of performance) without going through the caterpillar phase.

Right now, Aubrey is in the caterpillar phase with her basketball potential. I don't see (and Geno appears not to see either) any laziness in Aubrey's approach, so her freshman year can serve as her "caterpillar" year, hopefully. But even though she may make some highlight-reel individual plays, the team as a whole will not be efficient until she plays totally within the 5-person offense.

And if you think Geno will ever allow the UConn offense to grind down to the level of a neophyte by playing that neophyte for extended minutes, you have not been paying attention for the last decade or two. Even Stewie did not get that privilege. Certainly Tina Charles had a greatly reduced role until she caught on to what was expected in her junior year, and I understand that was also the case with Rebecca. Moriah had no more minutes than Aubrey, and no greater role, when she was a freshman. Likewise with Napheesa. Maya was the sole exception, and that is because she arrived with her butterfly wings already attached.

Reaction Score
It probably doesn’t mean all that much but that good first half made me curious, so I looked at Anna’s minutes on court and off. She did not start, sat for a short time in 2nd before returning. With Anna out Uconn was 20-15, with her in UConn was 35-14 (and 2 of DePaul’s 14 came on free throws as a result of a foul when Anna was on the bench so you could argue 35-12. You could also isolate it further: Anna 8, DePaul 12. Lots of factors of course but they do seem to play better with her on the floor. And she made mistakes, no question. Still...it’s why I made her my badass winner (while proud of Crystal’s grit)

I didn’t do second half because why put myself through that again? Everyone stunk.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom