Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I don't agree with that. I saw AG play and I think she plays well against a helter skelter type team. She played like that in high school so she is used to it.
It's a little deeper than can Aubrey play well against a helter skelter type teams. It deeper because we are game 9 of the season, Aubrey is a freshmen, there is a bigger picture here, and this is not high school. The bigger picture is March and April. One of the reason Geno plays teams like DePaul is to expose his team to different styles of play so that when tournament time comes around they are better prepared. Let's not forget Aubrey did play yesterday so she got her feet wet. As freshmen KLS, Napheesa Collier and Megan Walker played limited minutes against DePaul.

Reaction Score
I dug the game. I expected us to be flat after finals and I was right, sorta. The first half was flat amazing.

The second half, not so much. DePaul was unconscious shooting the ball for much of the second half, until the very end; and their backcourt defense was superb. Bruno is some coach to turn his team's focus around like that at halftime. DePaul even hit a few cutters for easy layups after the second half.

You could tell we were running on fumes by the end of the game, but I still had a sense we were on the verge of another run.

We survived a ranked, hot shooting, solid team on their own floor. That's pretty good for mid-December.

Also, I was surprised at the poor attendance, but they were noisy.

Also, I don't know who the FS1 announcers were and don't want to know. I muted them. I think they thought they were being paid by the word, however nonsensical or unrelated.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Everyone here knows that there are “ebbs” and “flows” throughout the season. We expect that. There will be stretches where they look invincible, then there will be stretches that will have us wondering If they have suddenly lost their skills, or left them in the dressing room.

Some games are routine mundane non emotional exercises, with little to no learning moments. Other games are like this one. Teachable moments and learning experiences from tip to buzzer. UConn played two very different halves yesterday, and still found a way to win. They could have given out or given up, but they didn’t.

This was a good game for our girls to experience. A lot to be learned from this game. They walked out of that arena knowing that they had just been severely tested, and passed. Every team needs a game or two like this every year. Why? Because these types of games either builds character or reveals it. ;)
Excellent points. After DePaul had cut the lead to 4 points 70-66 the next 4 UCONN baskets were layups from three different UCONN players (ONO, Megan & Christyn). Every UCONN player on the floor made a contribution after that point. Among the players on the floor was Aubrey Griffin-which is why I cannot understand this nonsense about Geno not giving her a chance- Aubrey was on the floor at crunch time.

Reaction Score
Excellent points. After DePaul had cut the lead to 4 points 70-66 the next 4 UCONN baskets were layups from three different UCONN players (ONO, Megan & Christyn). Every UCONN player on the floor made a contribution after that point. Among the players on the floor was Aubrey Griffin-which is why I cannot understand this nonsense about Geno not giving her a chance- Aubrey was on the floor at crunch time.
Pretty decent poise for a very young team. The keyboard coaches see what they want to see.

Reaction Score
I played international and it is legal to run the end line after an out of bounds. At least it was in teh 60's when I played. It was confirmed for me when Anna mouthed, "That;s not legal?"

Also when I was reffing we were taught to remind kids that they couldn't move

DUDE: yeh but if things now were like they were when you were reffin and playin, our girls would still be playing in pantaloons like my mom did. :) (Oh boy, sometimes I really crack myself up :D )

Reaction Score

Wait, Christyn really scored? :rolleyes: not what I would have guessed reading this thread.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight, but that’s not my post you are quoting. It is the one I replied to.

Reaction Score
The
If you noticed, Molly was in the game for 1 play and it didn't work out too well.

the whole second half didn’t work out well DePaul 45-Uconn 29. Molly played 5 seconds.

Reaction Score
I am jumping up and down as I write this, for Maestro noticed the same thing about CW as I did. The paint is an area that CW could exploit 15-20 times a game, either one on one or through a conscious effort by the team to open the lane for a CW pull up jumper. She is money like Maestro said.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The

the whole second half didn’t work out well DePaul 45-Uconn 29. Molly played 5 seconds.
But Molly did misplay her assignment and gave up 3 points unnecessarily in those 5 seconds. Precisely because there were only 5 seconds left, she didn't need to be concerned about the DePaul player driving to the basket, because there was minimal time to do that and there was help -- and because a 2 is better than a 3. Molly's one and only job was to get in her grille and stop the 3-point shot, but she played as if she were more concerned about a drive attempt. As a result the 3 was uncontested, and it was good.

I think that is why she ONLY played 5 seconds.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
First impressions can easily be deceiving, particularly during the emotional exercise of watching a close game. Geno used an 8 player rotation, although Molly’s minutes were limited. Christyn was not as effective scoring but she did great work on the boards. The UConn defense did defend the 3 pretty well, but DePaul made shots in the 2nd half despite the Huskies defense.

I urge all BY posters to watch game replays as I and many other posters do. When you can sit back and watch a game film as a coach might do, you will see lots of things that are easily missed during the heat of the game.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
But Molly did misplay her assignment and gave up 3 points unnecessarily in those 5 seconds. Precisely because there were only 5 seconds left, she didn't need to be concerned about the DePaul player driving to the basket, because there was minimal time to do that and there was help -- and because a 2 is better than a 3. Molly's one and only job was to get in her grille and stop the 3-point shot, but she played as if she were more concerned about a drive attempt. As a result the 3 was uncontested, and it was good.

I think that is why she ONLY played 5 seconds.
I don’t know that Molly misplayed her assignment. She closed out on the shooter with a hand in her face. The shooter made a tough shot at the half. Sometimes players make shots despite good defense.

Reaction Score
and many of those minutes are going to Irwin, who's is a great kid, but don't see them beating the better teams with her playing all those minutes. Griffin needs oh so much work to get comfortable. she was so aggressive , especially at Seton Hall, but kinda looks now like Walker her first year. Even as raw as she is, her skill set dwarfs Kyla's, but she needs lots of minutes.
So does Kyla and so does Molly. Geno isn’t getting to another Final 4 without these players contributing. This team will tire like last year’s team.

Reaction Score
I think the whole team looked tired in the second half. Not enough depth off the bench. It’s tough playing the starters all the minutes. CW in particular I thought looked slow tonight. She played to much bb over the summer and didn’t give her body enough rest. Just my opinion. Can someone tell me where Kayla and Molly were rated by ESPN coming out of high school? Were they even in the top 100.
I checked ESPNW’s class of 2016 top 100. The only UConn player in that class was Crystal at number 3.

Reaction Score
I commented two games ago that CW hasn't played that well, now for about 5 games. I was accused of negativity, but it's plain to see from here. You commented she may be tired from a summer full (over full from my vantage) of traveling and basketball. She's been inconsistent in her pull ups, inconsistent from the arc, and turning the ball over when she goes into the lane. Yes, it's worrying.
CW points rebounds assist averages all higher from last yr especially points and rebounds. 2 point FG% 50, 3 point FG% 30, FT% 72, TO’s up slightly.
Her FG% from last year down at the moment 36 to 30%.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if that move she made is legal in Europa rules.

No. Definitely not legal in international play. She clearly just forgot that there hadn’t just been a made basket.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure who it was, but someone yelled "MOVE!" right before she did that. May have been Geno. I wonder if she thought he was yelling at her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CW points rebounds assist averages all higher from last yr especially points and rebounds. 2 point FG% 50, 3 point FG% 30, FT% 72, TO’s up slightly.
Her FG% from last year down at the moment 36 to 30%.
True but Christyn is not the same player as last year as measured by intensity & quickness. Last year she was a shot hunter and won more than her share of those 50-50 lose balls. The shot hunter part may be the most disturbing because at least last year she would have been deferring to the two AA seniors. That should not be happening this year and Christyn Williams should be building her own AA resume instead of a "also ran". 9 games into last season she had already won "bad ass" of the game award. This year she has not even been mentioned.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
[ ]

Look all you people (Yes I said you people) complaining about UCONN's defense. The defense was fine. Nothing super spectacular, but fine. DePaul shot their normal 34% from the 3pt line. Nothing extravagant there. UCONN DID hold them to only 38% overall. 6% below their average. They also held them 14 pts below their avg in points. Hello McFly, the DEFENSE was not the problem. (problem being "only" winning by 10)

Turnovers, people, turnovers. 21 vs 7. There's the difference in a 10 pt win vs a 20 pt win. And 5 (iirc) turnovers were from charging calls. Which is just UCONN being aggressive for the most part. Cut back down to our normal 14, and there's 8-10 points for ya. ND had the same problem against DePaul, too many TO's. If you want (need) to whine and complain, do it about TO's not defense.

Remember, this year is not gonna be pretty. It's gonna be gritty. Geno said so. Get used to it. We were playing a ranked team. We're not just gonna walk over ranked teams this year. Some of you people (yes you people again) have been complaining about blowouts for years. Well, here we are. Be careful what you wish for. There are about 8-10 teams this year with a shot at the FF and possibly a NC, UCONN is one of them. That's not a bad thing. Relax and enjoy.

And those of you longing for Bent. This was not a game for her. She does not do well in chaotic situations. They have enough trouble getting her to play within herself in a normal game. Doing it when the game is at hyper speed isn't gonna work. She can play in a lot of games, but this kind of game is just not gonna work for her. It's ok, she'll do fine in other games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
While Aubrey played out of sync at times with rest of team, I think Geno hoped her wild approach might disrupt DePaul in short bursts. She and CW play alike but CW is better controlled. They will eventually spell each other. Anna and Kyla fulfill similar roles, though Anna has more skills, but can likewise spell each other. Both can step in for Liv (Anna had 7 boards), Liv has height, Anna muscle.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
No. Definitely not legal in international play. She clearly just forgot that there hadn’t just been a made basket.

Not sure who it was, but someone yelled "MOVE!" right before she did that. May have been Geno. I wonder if she thought he was yelling at her.
[/QUOTE]
I thought I heard Geno yell "move it" just before Ania did move it. I am guessing he was yelling at her team mates and not her. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
True but Christyn is not the same player as last year as measured by intensity & quickness. Last year she was a shot hunter and won more than her share of those 50-50 lose balls. The shot hunter part may be the most disturbing because at least last year she would have been deferring to the two AA seniors. That should not be happening this year and Christyn Williams should be building her own AA resume instead of a "also ran". 9 games into last season she had already won "bad ass" of the game award. This year she has not even been mentioned.
The best players initiate or make plays. IMO, when she does that, Williams seems to have her best stretches of play. Too often she’s hesitant and has to react instead of controlling the action like she has the ability to do. She should try watching video of Bueckers, that’s how you attack a game and it can be done within the framework of UConn’s offense as Auriemma encourages Dangerfield to do. But you have to have that drive between the ears to do it and we’ll see if she’s got it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think the whole team looked tired in the second half. Not enough depth off the bench. It’s tough playing the starters all the minutes. CW in particular I thought looked slow tonight. She played to much bb over the summer and didn’t give her body enough rest. Just my opinion. Can someone tell me where Kayla and Molly were rated by ESPN coming out of high school? Were they even in the top 100.
I checked ESPNW’s class of 2016 top 100. The only UConn player in that class was Crystal at number 3.
Yes, Dangerfield was the only player ranked in top 100 by Hoopgurlz (ESPN). Irwin was ranked #44 by Bluestar. Bent wasn't ranked in top 100 by any services that I know of.

That was a bit of a down year. But UCONN had just brought in (at the time) 2 pretty good classes the 2 years prior. Nurse/Williams/Ekmark/Edwards and KLS/Collier/Boykin. However, Dangerfield's class has stayed all 4 years. :D

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I am not sure if any of the Uconn turnovers were forced turnovers. I think all, or nearly all, TO's were unforced.
I watched the first half again and 10 of the 11 first half turnovers were unforced, IMO. Luckily DePaul did not convert much, maybe one basket.

Reaction Score
Wait, Christyn really scored? :rolleyes: not what I would have guessed reading this thread.
yea, CW scored but only 13 not the 28 she dumped on ND last year. Failure to execute I would guess.
the right ones

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom