Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This isn't a complaint, but can anyone explain why Geno is benching Aubrey Griffin? Since her coming- out game, her minutes have been severely limited. And when she does play, she brings energy & effort.

Must be temp doghouse....she'll be back

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anyone else worried about Christyn? she is playing like she inn quick sand. 6 TO tonight and she got beat to several lose balls.

Well she had 11 rebounds (4O) but I think a bit of those came after her own misses. I think she gets frustrated quickly than gets caught taking too many risks.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
This game reminded me of @maryland 3 years ago. Big lead into the third quarter just couldn't sustain it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
First half A-

2nd half D-

Would have given them an F for the 2nd half, but they actually squeaked out the win. And the last 3 minutes weren't awful. Still, very little to take away from that 2nd half that was any good. Just when you think maybe we've turned the corner, we throw out a stinker like that. We had 21 turnovers to 6 for them. Gave up nine 3-pointers in the 2nd half.

ONO was perfect from the field (9-9) yet we didn't create for her. Christyn was flat out awful for very long stretches - I don't care that she had a double double. Crystal made so many head scratching decisions that a senior PG should not be struggling with. How do we miss so many layups?? Hitting the bottom of the rim??

I though Anna played well, except for that boneheaded out of bounds play, and LIv was perfect on offense. Meg was excellent for the most part. Not sure why he kept putting Kyla back in - not a good matchup or game for her.

Sure we won, but I hope the players talk about how it felt like an unsatisfying win (whatever words they used earlier in the season) because the 2nd half was a hot mess.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the DePaul game:
  • Immediately took notice that DePaul did not come out pressing UConn, after the past few years when the Huskies quickly broke the Blue Demons press for easy baskets. Even when DePaul pressed some in the 2nd qtr, it was very soft pressure.
  • As Crystal was raining down 3’s from the cheap seats, I remembered her first game as a freshman when she took a long 3 pointer and Geno got all over her for shooting from that far out. No more complaints from Geno. Crystal’s shooting range is flat-out ridiculous!
  • I thought UConn could have gone to Liv in the low post just about every time down the court. She was a huge mismatch for whichever Blue Demon was attempting to guard her.
  • Crystal’s shooting from downtown lead to the oddest matchup of the night as Doug Bruno decided to have 6’2” Chante Stonewall, his best defender, take a shot at containing Crystal.
  • Credit to DePaul in the 2nd half. Down 26 at intermission they just keep coming at you. They’re like Jason in Friday the 13th. They shoot 2/13 from the arc in the 1st half, but in the 2nd half, with UConn doing a pretty darn good job of contesting their shots, DePaul just started making everything.
  • Much closer than I thought it would be, but the Huskies are 9-0.
Depauls Quick hands made Uconn ball handler look like they never played. The same foul Uconn early and often worked took Uconn mentally out of the game. I agree with those that believe a WIN is a WIN. No points of pretty or 40 points more. Give Doug Credit and his kids for shooting straight when they had to.

Reaction Score
Well reading the board some fans are a little nervous playing Depaul because they shoot so many treys and theyre ranked. No me. This is an opportunity of UConn to shine. Griff could have a great day playing one on one and rebounding. ONO there is no answer for. Instead of looking at how many treys Depaul makes I like to think that over 60% of their treys are missed which will allow UConn more touches and more fast break points.

Will Geno go to a 6-7 player rotation? I think once we get the lead everybody will play and excel. I saw Depaul play once this season. They throw up alot of treys and imo they rush some of those. Against UConn they will have problems rebounding and they will have problems getting the ball inside. ONO could have a field day inside.

Will UConn be a little rusty with the long break? I think so but after a few minutes they should be fine. We must maintain composure and poise. We cant get caught up into a run a gun out of control game which can happen against Depaul. Geno will have them ready. UConn teams are very good at adapting to game time situations. Geno is a master at making adjustments on the run during a game. I like UConn winning this game by 20+. We should see in this game and for the next couple of weeks UConn becoming the team many of us think they will aspire to.
Your insight seems a little bit off now... and a bit condescending to those who had concerns... what do you say now, when Depaul cut it to 4 pts late?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This game reminded me of @maryland 3 years ago. Big lead into the third quarter just couldn't sustain it.
It reminded me of the NC game against Syracuse when Cuse made a run in the 3rd quarter, knocking down 3s along the way. But The Big 3 got everything under control and took back the game.

Reaction Score
Anyone else worried about Christyn? she is playing like she inn quick sand. 6 TO tonight and she got beat to several lose balls.
She’s a good offensive player, but her lack of killer mentality and poor 3 pt shooting this year is a disappointment. She is also a little slow to react on defense and getting to loose balls. I thought she would’ve make a bigger jump this year but seems like the player from last year. I hope I’m wrong come feb/mar

Reaction Score
Was that Creme or cream that didn't rise to the top? Geno is right about UConn's #2 ranking. UConn is vulnerable to any TOP 15 team that has a post player that can lay a body on Ono. Crystal Dangerfield was terrific, and her leadership shined through. Megan Walker was her usual productive self. Ono took care of the 6' and under club. UConn is a top 10 team, but not #2 (today).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What's there to figure out.
Last season Christyn could basically move without the ball, find a spot and Lou or Crystal would get the ball to her in a position to finish. This year, Christyn is trying to create off the dribble a lot more, and she is not as effective, at least so far.

Reaction Score
First half A-

2nd half D-

Would have given them an F for the 2nd half, but they actually squeaked out the win. And the last 3 minutes weren't awful. Still, very little to take away from that 2nd half that was any good. Just when you think maybe we've turned the corner, we throw out a stinker like that. We had 21 turnovers to 6 for them. Gave up nine 3-pointers in the 2nd half.

ONO was perfect from the field (9-9) yet we didn't create for her. Christyn was flat out awful for very long stretches - I don't care that she had a double double. Crystal made so many head scratching decisions that a senior PG should not be struggling with. How do we miss so many layups?? Hitting the bottom of the rim??

I though Anna played well, except for that boneheaded out of bounds play, and LIv was perfect on offense. Meg was excellent for the most part.

Sure we won, but I hope the players talk about how it felt like an unsatisfying win (whatever words they used earlier in the season) because the 2nd half was a hot mess.
Megan tends to foul when fouling isn't helpful. 6 turnovers for CW. 4 for 2 or 3 others. Do I see dribbling in traffic in the Future? Ania had 8 points Danger and Megan 22 CW 13 Irwin zip. 19 for ONO GOOD SCORING SPREAD. Bench has to contribute more. DePAUL TO

Reaction Score
Have to rewatch but was surprised Geno didn’t call a timeout or two earlier in the 3rd quarter when DePaul was cutting into the lead and outhustling UConn. Even if shots aren’t falling Geno usually doesn’t like to see his team being outhustled,

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="EricLA, post: 3368690, member: 26
I though Anna played well, except for that boneheaded out of bounds play[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be surprised if that move she made is legal in Europa rules.

Reaction Score
This isn't a complaint, but can anyone explain why Geno is benching Aubrey Griffin? Since her coming- out game, her minutes have been severely limited. And when she does play, she brings energy & effort.
Actually, as of late the team looks dead when she’s on the floor.

Reaction Score
I was so entertained by this game. The first half was more about us getting hot from 3, Dangerfield especially and Depaul being ice cold.

Then in the second half, DePaul got hot. That last shot at the buzzer over Bent was incredible. They had the crowd, they had the swagger, the aggression, but our girl’s didn’t fold. They would just go down and answer with a high percentage two. Then get back on defense and force DePaul to make another crazy shot.

Was it closer then it should be Yes, but man I saw confidence in the themselves that had been missing the last couple final fours

Reaction Score
Most of us are already married, so we really don't require some silly post from the left coast to say, "I told you so." ;)
Not an "I told you so"... just a caution to not belittle posters who have concerns... all voices should be respected.... fyi, even tho I started the post about Depaul taking down Notre Dame and that we needed to defend the 3, I was not really worried.... but I guess I should have been

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom