Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Some thoughts on Depaul Game (merged)

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Such is the truth when dealing with the RPI. Oregon State beats a weak Utah State team last night by 29, then drops from #1 to #3 as a result. Oregon State could have won by 50 last night and it still would have dropped to #3, one spot below a team it beat last month.
But the RPI isn't really meant to be a day-to-day power rating that gets followed like the stock market. The schedule is what it is. If Rueck was concerned about what might happen to his RPI on Dec. 14, he would've scheduled someone other than Utah State.

Reaction Score
But the RPI isn't really meant to be a day-to-day power rating that gets followed like the stock market. The schedule is what it is. If Rueck was concerned about what might happen to his RPI on Dec. 14, he would've scheduled someone other than Utah State.
As happened to Mulkey when Stewie departed and she scheduled a "down" Uconn team. Down doesn't always mean OUT. You can never count on those point guards Not playing at a 6 ft 7 level. So scheduling isn't an exact science even "bad" teams can erupt to play out of their minds. All fans or Coaches can do is accept and scout.

Reaction Score
OK
You’ve got my heart rate up.
Has anyone said where it’s being televised?
FS1?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
OK
You’ve got my heart rate up.
Has anyone said where it’s being televised?
FS1?
FS1. When in doubt there is a post tacked to the top of the page with link to UConn's official schedule showing television coverage for each game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You know I read these posts and I scratch my head. Meg CW CD were all number 1 out of HS. ONO was top 5 and our 5th starter who could be any number of 4 players has played well. Our core 4 is better or as good as any in the country. They are really good and consistent scorers so at the end of the game the numbers are there. Not many teams can say that. UConns wins werent against top 25 however they werent against no name schools we've never heard of either. Many other teams have played those team and chalked up lop sided wins. UConn may loose a game or 2 this season. They do have a dominate player in Meg. They have a really good big in ONO. They have really really good guard play and they have a dependable bench. I dont think UConn is as bad as some think and I dont think Oregon Oregon St Stanford Baylor and the rest are as good as some think. UConn has a core 4 and even though their trey defense isnt great in some eyes and even though we all worry about ONO getting in foul trouble which she already has and even though we worry about injuries which has already happened we have over come them all and are undefeated at this point. Im not worried about what goes wrong Im concerned that we continue to find a way to win when our core 4 are not in tack. So far we've been able to do that and do it well.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am looking forward to this game. UConn will be fine. This could be another breakout game for Aubrey. Megan and Olivia could both have a double-double game.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I also expect Oregon State to lose several conference games that UConn will not. The PAC 12 is a much tougher and more competitive conference than the weak AAC. No argument there. I don't see O. State going undefeated in conference play this year. Stanford and Oregon will finish 1-2. I fully expect UConn to lose a game or two before conference play begins. UConn WILL NOT go undefeated this season, but neither will Oregon State.
Just a reminder, since your glasses seem to look ahead as opposed to looking back, UCONN has already won their first conference game (Temple). ;)

Reaction Score
If UConn wins by 30+ on DePaul's home court, that will be a very positive indication that UConn is indeed a TOP 5 team.
I don't believe UConn will win by more than 30 for the simple reason that Geno will be playing with a bigger rotation that he was used to. Geno also has high regards for Bruno and his program.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

"Coming off a seven-day break for Thanksgiving, the Huskies (8-0) are well-rested, which should benefit them if Monday turns into a track meet. Obviously, they’d prefer if it didn’t.

“They’ll play that way, and they’ll play that way the whole entire game” senior point guard Molly Bent said. “It’s a test of our stamina too because they play that way every game, so they’re in great shape. They’ll be up in your grill the entire game. It should be fun.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FS1. When in doubt there is a post tacked to the top of the page with link to UConn's official schedule showing television coverage for each game.
Lol, I've been completely oblivious to that. Thanks for pointing it out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't like this game coming off of exam break. DePaul can beat us if UConn doesn't play it's A game. I have to admit to being a little nervous about this one.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This is a UConn Women's site. Uconn cheering is expected . I understand that. My glass in the last 20 years has been 1/3 full of dust until March. I look for the pitfalls and mostly have been wrong. I enjoy being wrong because UConn wins. Until Uconn takes on Oregon or Baylor and wins or loses by less than 10 I won't feel comfortable. A high ranking getting into the NCAA's is a plus
I think the point you miss is all those teams have warts as well and all have played an inferior schedule to ours thus far. Yes, you can express concern about UConn as long You also acknowledge the concerns over the teams you worry about. NO ONE is a clear #1 and IMO UConn is in the top 6 mix as much or more so than the other 5 due to Geno and CD. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Just a reminder, since your glasses seem to look ahead as opposed to looking back, UCONN has already won their first conference game (Temple). ;)

Thanks for the reminder, I was aware that they played Temple early last month. I rephrase that.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reminder, I was aware that they played Temple early last month. I rephrase that.
That's okay Carnac only predicts the future, he didn't remember the past. At least that is the way I remember it when I was watching Johnny and Ed.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
You know I read these posts and I scratch my head. Meg CW CD were all number 1 out of HS. ONO was top 5 and our 5th starter who could be any number of 4 players has played well. Our core 4 is better or as good as any in the country. They are really good and consistent scorers so at the end of the game the numbers are there. Not many teams can say that. UConns wins werent against top 25 however they werent against no name schools we've never heard of either. Many other teams have played those team and chalked up lop sided wins. UConn may loose a game or 2 this season. They do have a dominate player in Meg. They have a really good big in ONO. They have really really good guard play and they have a dependable bench. I dont think UConn is as bad as some think and I dont think Oregon Oregon St Stanford Baylor and the rest are as good as some think. UConn has a core 4 and even though their trey defense isnt great in some eyes and even though we all worry about ONO getting in foul trouble which she already has and even though we worry about injuries which has already happened we have over come them all and are undefeated at this point. Im not worried about what goes wrong Im concerned that we continue to find a way to win when our core 4 are not in tack. So far we've been able to do that and do it well.

tonyc, funny you should mention that UConn’s roster is comprised of several players ranked 1-6 in their respective classes. I was thinking the same thing. There are only a very few “elite” top 10 programs that are able to recruit and retain these “cream of the crop” blue chippers every year.

i.e., UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford, South Carolina, Maryland, Louisville, Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State, Baylor, UCLA, Texas A&M, etc. DePaul does not attract top 10 ranked players.

The players DePaul has are good, and can play, but they are not blue chip (#1-5 in their class) players. If you go to ESPN’s hoopgirlz class rankings and look at the last 4 years, look at the schools the top 10 ranked players went to.

Fans overlook that dynamic at times. I agree with your take that the cream will rise to the top during this game, and UConn will prevail. By how much, I don’t know. Believe it or not, I ran out of envelopes. :confused:

Post game edit. I called it. The cream rose to the top in crunch time. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was a bit concerned after seeing DePaul’s last two games were 105-76 over Alabama St and 105-94 over ND. Then I checked Alabama St and see that earlier this month they lost to South Florida 80-29 and Samford 83-48. If Alabama St was able to score 76 on DePaul I expect UConn should be able to put up a lot of points and get out of town with a solid win.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Last edited:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
If memory serves me, UConn and DePaul have played 30 games over the years. I can only remember one game were it came down to the last shot. It was Ketia Swanier who went coast to coast in under 5 seconds for the winning bucket. The rest of those games, not so close.

Look, we beat ND convincingly. And ND scored 94 points on DePaul. And don't even think Alabama State is in the same class as the teams UConn play. I was at the USF/ Alabama St game. Alabama St would be lucky to score 40 on UConn.

DePaul may hang with us for the 1st quarter and maybe the first half. But UConn will win by a comfortable margin.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Based on tonight's game Geno may be right about that we aren't 2 thing or it's just those weird De Paul folks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom