Some quotes from Dave Benedict | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Some quotes from Dave Benedict

Reaction Score
I don't understand the alumni thing. The formative years for most sports fans is, what, 6-8 years of age? That's when my first sports memories are from. At that age I wasn't old enough to discern or care about college vs pro. To me, UConn was another local sports team to root for. I cheered for them as hard as I cheered for the Knicks or Yankees. I understand you can feel a closer connection to a school as an alumnus but I don't think it's a prerequisite for how passionate/loyal/insert-other-stupid-word of a fan you are.

Reaction Score
Enoch had a quick hook because he shot 40% from the field and was lost on defense. Had he stuck around, he would have had plenty of opportunity to earn PT this year. Jackson would have seen a ton of minutes this year too, but Ollie had no plan for how to use him on offense. Our. Best. Shooter. And he had no plan. Incredible.

Couldn't agree more with the "62 games to turn the corner" question.

More likely he didn't have a "plan" that Vance's Dad liked. Unless of course you have some insider knowledge?

Reaction Score
This is a classic debate in many college fan bases, especially at schools who's teams are struggling.

It's a silly, meaningless debate to have and one in which no one ever wins and everyone's feelings get hurt.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This reminds me of Altamont-- that did not end well. I'm on the side of letting KO go but if he comes back next I will cheer him on and hope for the best. I will always cheer UConn on. I'm not an alum but have been a fan since the 70's. Lots of people beating each other up on this thread. Kind of a bummer to me. Peace.

Same boat as you. Don't want Ollie back but I'll still be behind the team if he does return.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
This is a classic debate in many college fan bases, especially at schools who's teams are struggling.

It's a silly, meaningless debate to have and one in which no one ever wins and everyone's feelings get hurt.

It takes place on every team forum. Alumni, non-alumni. Season ticket holder, non season ticket holder. I saw one Mets board get ripped apart over the argument. No one won that debate.

As far as I'm concerened you're a fan if you say you are.

Reaction Score

Only the insecure. I even said the highs are probably just as high but the lows are undoubtedly lower when you're an alum

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Only the insecure. I even said the highs are probably just as high but the lows are undoubtedly lower when you're an alum

You are just wrong on this one. There are plenty of casual fan alumni and plenty of die-hard non-alumni.

If you took the non-alumni out of the rent you couldn’t fill 5 sections beyond the students.

Reaction Score
You are just wrong on this one. There are plenty of casual fan alumni and plenty of die-hard non-alumni.

If you took the non-alumni out of the rent you couldn’t fill 5 sections beyond the students.
That doesn't contradict anything I've said.

Reaction Score

My relationship with this team, and this entire athletic department, is different than my relationship with all the pro sports teams I follow because I am an alum, there's no doubt about that.

But I'm also not going to pretend to know how this team makes others feel.

I would, however, work under the assumption that anyone taking the time to comment on the Boneyard is likely very passionate and cares a great deal; alum or not.

Reaction Score
I’ll be clearer then. Your supposition that you are a member of the most special fan level is incorrect hogwash.
When did I say that? It seems like an awful lot of people are projecting here.

Reaction Score
It is a University/Program/Team with a lot of Stakeholders. I, frankly, do not care how you arrived at your fandom; I am glad to be amongst you.

Having said that, please don't assume you and your 25 year old mind has a great deal more insight or depth than some of us that got dragged to games as toddlers in the 60's by Dads that loved the National Flag Blue and have 6 cousins who attended Storrs. This notion that the Athletic Department is in a deep hole ... just would be laughed at by most Bigtime National Public Universities; see, I actually have a second degree. And YES ... the Brand can count the 29-0 UConn women and National Championships beyond Men's BB. This Program which Benedict inherited is notable with HOF coaches and great teams over many decades. I don't think any of you have claim over me in your despair over Kevin Ollie; but, I do claim to have hope that this is not that hard to turn around. WE are in a tough conference; one which, unlike the BE, we can't seem to find the passion for. Football - we are still a newborn in that world; the return to HCRE gives us hope there as well; but, you have to see that over a 4-6 year arc.

The Start to a better MBB has begun. We are NOT easily going to buy out KO; and my hope is that we get his bleeding blue to help us to a good resolution. I don't think his return is an awful predicament. But, he has to be contrite ... and we have to get back in touch with why we were great.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That doesn't contradict anything I've said.
You have no idea how low the lows are for anyone but yourself tho. Meaning you can’t really make the statement you made definitively

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
It is a University/Program/Team with a lot of Stakeholders. I, frankly, do not care how you arrived at your fandom; I am glad to be amongst you.

Having said that, please don't assume you and your 25 year old mind has a great deal more insight or depth than some of us that got dragged to games as toddlers in the 60's by Dads that loved the National Flag Blue and have 6 cousins who attended Storrs. This notion that the Athletic Department is in a deep hole ... just would be laughed at by most Bigtime National Public Universities; see, I actually have a second degree. And YES ... the Brand can count the 29-0 UConn women and National Championships beyond Men's BB. This Program which Benedict inherited is notable with HOF coaches and great teams over many decades. I don't think any of you have claim over me in your despair over Kevin Ollie; but, I do claim to have hope that this is not that hard to turn around. WE are in a tough conference; one which, unlike the BE, we can't seem to find the passion for. Football - we are still a newborn in that world; the return to HCRE gives us hope there as well; but, you have to see that over a 4-6 year arc.

The Start to a better MBB has begun. We are NOT easily going to buy out KO; and my hope is that we get his bleeding blue helps us to a good resolution. I don't think his return is an awful predicament. But, he has to be contrite ... and we have to get back in touch with why we were great.

Well freaking said.

Reaction Score
You have no idea how low the lows are for anyone but yourself tho. Meaning you can’t really make the statement you made definitively
Look back at the UNC scandal example. For a while many students and alumni were very worried about what that might do to their degrees

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Look back at the UNC scandal example. For a while many students and alumni were very worried about what that might do to their degrees

What year did you graduate?

Reaction Score
Yes. It's college basketball.
You still don't get it. My son started going to games as an infant. He is 30 yo lives in jersey, didn't go to UConn but is as a big a fan as they come. It is NOT just being an alum it is being a fan.
He drives 3 hours to go to games, watches all on TV because he is a true fan.

Reaction Score
You still don't get it. My son started going to games as an infant. He is 30 yo lives in jersey, didn't go to UConn but is as a big a fan as they come. It is NOT just being an alum it is being a fan.
He drives 3 hours to go to games, watches all on TV because he is a true fan.
I didn't say you can't be a fan if you're not an alum. I just said it's not quite the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom