Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 44 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not really the point though is it? P5 deep pockets will continue to drive up the A list talent prices eventually making them out of reach for G5 schools.
Wasn’t your original point though.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
20180320_180842.jpg

Tick tick tick tick...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's utterly ridiculous. The number of people that fancy themselves armchair ADs or big time negotiators or even super connected sports "journalists" is comical.

EDIT: Or tea leaf reading fortune tellers, apparently.

Someone posted that Twitter would be the downfall of civilization, if it hasn't already. I beg to differ. Civilization is doomed if the in this thread are any indication.
There's in this thread?? I've been looking...

Reaction Score
Shaka had a rebuild in Texas
He made the tournament this year and has a really solid recruiting crew coming in
That is a really tough league to rebuild in on the short run
I am not a Shaka fan at all but his team improved drastically this year in the best conference by far - ACC not close now
Texas is not in the A10 - there's a team in the NIT that most likely would have gone through the A10 undefeated - Ok State
My point is that if you read between the tea leaves neither Shaka or Texas are all that thrilled with each other.

Reaction Score
I have been a big Hurley proponent to this point. But I have to admit, if Pitt wants him this badly, maybe we don't want him. Pitt makes awful decisions so, if they want him, there is a good chance we are all wrong about how good he is.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If it's money - he goes to Pitt
If he's undecided and really torn - he stays at URI
If he wants a bump in pay and stay close to home (if RI is really home) - it's UConn
If he wants to maximize money, it's Pitt.
If he wants to maximize comfort, it's URI.
If he wants to maximize his legacy, it's UConn.

He won't win a natty at Pitt or URI, he has a shot in Storrs. Connecticut fans are, well, fanatical. He knows he'll have the adoration of the state. If he's the guy who puts UConn back into national contention, he'll have a national rep. Coincidentally, UConn is:
1) in a part of the country he and his family are familiar with and and comfortable in;
2) in a part of the country that is a rich recruiting ground in which he has connections; and
3) is an institution for he has personal insider connections (Calhoun and Moore).​
I like our chances. If I'm AD Dave, I say something like: "The Pitt offer is so high because it is not as desirable a job. I know it, they know it and, Dan, I think you know it too. We won't match it but we don't want lose you over money. So Dan what is the number that we can agree upon right now that makes you the next UConn basketball coach?" I'm confident there is a number that would get it done.

That said:

We're still doomed.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I doubt if he will be meeting with OZ or have anything to do with him.

Reading between the lines here Chief is saying that Hurley will be at UConn. He would have to be, why else would meeting with OZ or having anything to do with OZ even be worth mentioning? Hurley to UConn, book it. Thanks Chief!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
If he wants to maximize money, it's Pitt.
If he wants to maximize comfort, it's URI.
If he wants to maximize his legacy, it's UConn.

He won't win a natty at Pitt or URI, he has a shot in Storrs. Connecticut fans are, we'll fanatical. He knows he'll have the adoration of the state. If he's the guy who puts UConn back into national contention, he'll have a national rep. Coincidentally, UConn is:
1) in a part of the country he and his family are familiar with and and comfortable in;
2) in a part of the country that is a rich recruiting ground in which he has connections; and
3) is an institution for he has personal insider connections (Calhoun and Moore).​
I like our chances. If I'm AD Dave, I say something like: "The Pitt offer is too high because it is not as desirable job. I know it, they know it and Dan I think you know it too. We won't match it but said we don't want lose you over money. So Dan what is the number that we can agree upon right now that makes you the next UConn basketball coach?" I'm confident there is a number that would get it done.

That said:

We're still doomed.
He’ll get paid initially. If he continues to win and grow the program he’ll get even more money. People don’t talk about uri or pity. They know about uconn and talk about uconn. Even in down years we’re a hot topic

Reaction Score
I have been a big Hurley proponent to this point. But I have to admit, if Pitt wants him this badly, maybe we don't want him. Pitt makes awful decisions so, if they want him, there is a good chance we are all wrong about how good he is.

Basketball-wise, Pitt has made as many bad decisoons over the last few years as we have...both involve an AD decision. Pitt's let Jamie Dixon walk & ours gave the extension to Ollie.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wasn’t your original point though.
A lesson for everyone who thinks dropping football is the answer. The P5 is where the money is. If you are not a P5 school then sooner or later you will be priced out of the A list coaching talent.
#readingcomprehensionmatters

Reaction Score
One of the problems now is optics. If we lose out to Pitt, the narrative that UConn is no longer what it was will be deafening. It will also trickle down to recruits.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
That's the important point here: he doesn't have to be a Calhoun. He has to come in and take a program with history and a fertile recruiting ground somewhere near where it was. Lest we forget, JC missed the NCAAs 1 out of every 4 years. In the AAC you should be able to make it pretty much every year.

The highs are still competing for a NC, though maybe less regularly, but the lows not be as low.

After the last 3.5 years, the next coach doesn't have to do a ton to win us over. Some programs never recover (Indiana isn't really back yet), and some hit a bump and then bounce back. We're not UNC, and never will be. But we have more NCs, and a more recent history of multiple NCs, than UNC did when Roy came.

In other words, the world has changed and we aren't going to get someone as good as JC. But we don't need one to be in the national picture.
You have a less cynical view of the world than I have. How long do you believe the honeymoon will last if the next coach accomplishes what you describe.

Otherwise I agree with everything else you wrote.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Basketball-wise, Pitt has made as many bad decisoons over the last few years as we have...both involve an AD decision. Pitt's let Jamie Dixon walk & ours gave the extension to Ollie.
Giving an extension to Ollie was not our mistake. At that time, everyone felt he deserved it and the fear was losing him. The ironclad buyout was the mistake.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

After Stallings, they are well aware of their own ineptitude. So they go for Hurley after seeing he's UCONN's first choice. Don't even need a search firm...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Beware, plaintiff's attorneys may deposition 3rd party typing, boxer-wearing, Clyde Vaughn admirer ...
And this scares me how? I’ll gladly give my deposition. Let’s see... Boneyard poster, Jerome Dyson fanboy, Drummond agent, Bunky fixer. Building up my resume.

Reaction Score

Sorry, but nope. We want him. To pass now at salaries being quoted means you think there is another coach out there that will come for less money AND make us as happy as we think Hurley will over the next 5-7 years AND is available! Any serious names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom