Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 26 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The best program in the BE doesn't have a Final Four? In their "dominant" time, Syracuse, UConn and Louisville all won a title in the conference.

Those three, plus Villanova, Georgetown, and West Virginia all went to the Final Four (add in Marquette, who did it in the time range but from CUSA if you want).

Oh, the glory days of Pitt basketball!

In the Big East from 2001 - 2002 thru 2012-2013, they missed 1 NCAA Tournament and in all but one of those seasons, were at one point in a season ranked in the Top 10.

Yes, I think that would qualify them as one of the best teams during that era. Especially if you want to consider regular season consistency.

By and large, those were among their very best players. They haven't made it out of the first weekend since 2009. Notice what stopped happening?

My point is look at any other school in the surrounding area, NY, NJ, CT, MA, PA, and they'll all have a smattering of players from NJ/NYC. It's not specific to Pitt.

I don't buy the notion that they can't recruit NYC/NJ anymore just because they are in the ACC. They, like us, just had a bad hire and I hope like hell we beat them out for Hurley.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think that would qualify them as one of the best teams during that era.
One of the best, yes, but not the best. Uconn gets that honor! I guess Cuse, Pitt and Nova can fight over who gets second, I don't care, there is enough of a gap!

Reaction Score
In the Big East from 2001 - 2002 thru 2012-2013, they missed 1 NCAA Tournament and in all but one of those seasons, were at one point in a season ranked in the Top 10.

Yes, I think that would qualify them as one of the best teams during that era. Especially if you want to consider regular season consistency.
They were a very good team in conference. One of the better teams in the league. But at some point, if you don't convert regular-season and tournament championships into something else you aren't the best in the league. If I were Pitt, I'd trade that 12 year run with any of those schools I mentioned.

Reaction Score
My spidey sense says that doesn't bode well for us.
He also tweeted yesterday that his sources couldn't confirm the GoLocalProv report that Hurley was a done deal.

Reaction Score
They were a very good team in conference. One of the better teams in the league. But at some point, if you don't convert regular-season and tournament championships into something else you aren't the best in the league. If I were Pitt, I'd trade that 12 year run with any of those schools I mentioned.

They were a bridesmaid for a dozen years. Agreed that I'd swap results with any of the other BE schools you listed.

Reaction Score
Well, if something slips out from under us, egg will be on the face of a lot of journalists in this state and in RI. They'd have to seriously reevaluate the multiple sources who they have believed to be sources.

Things change, but it would be damn surprising.

Reaction Score
Ed Daigneault is tweeting no announcement today is expected.
These are the tweets:

Ed Daigneault‏ @EdDaigneault 2h2 hours ago
At UConn football practice. David Pindell looks much improved and it looks like Aaron McLean has moved to tight end.

And no, not expecting movement on basketball coaching front, I’m told. But you never know.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Well, if something slips out from under us, egg will be on the face of a lot of journalists in this state and in RI. They'd have to seriously reevaluate the multiple sources who they have believed to be sources.

Things change, but it would be damn surprising.
I think people believed what they were saying and thought it was close, but yes things change.

I also think Pitt is the wild card that changed things the most. Even if they continue to be the third choice of the three, their pitch--and especially their money--could be causing him to reconsider what he can get from URI and/or UConn, and what is really important to him.

They are three very different choices. None of them is perfect, and each has an intriguing set of pros and cons.

Reaction Score
Plus with the death storm coming tomorrow we might be waiting until Thursday.
Death storm? Yikes. Every time I start to miss New England, especially Portland Maine or West Hartford or Portsmouth or the southeast shoreline in CT, I remember the winters and don't feel so bad. My goodness, sounds awful, good luck and stay safe!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep, looks like a little trouble closing the deal. IMO Pitt is in the roll of c---- blocker here. They will end up driving the price up for Hurley.

FWIW, it appears that he much prefers the UConn job, which he should, notwithstanding those on the board who assured us we are no longer an attractive job. In fact it seems to be the consensus that we are a very attractive job. That's a part of what's at stake here. If Hurley comes we start to rebuild, but we also get a little juice added back to our rep by virtue of being the best job available and getting our choice among available candidates. If we lose out on him to either the likes of Pitt or URI, the narrative that we are still a top gig takes a major hit.

Hurley is a good fit and he should end up here, but the way our luck has been lately, I'm holding my breath.

[We're Doomed!]

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
These are the tweets:

At UConn football practice. David Pindell looks much improved and it looks like Aaron McLean has moved to tight end.

And no, not expecting movement on basketball coaching front, I’m told. But you never know.

giphy.gif

Reaction Score
God, I thought he would run as fast as he could, far away from the dumpster fire that is Pitt. Coming off an 0-18 season and 9 students transferring. Although I guess it would not be the first time he went to a place in such shambles.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Obviously, I'd rather win a title too. But the only programs that won in that time frame were Cuse and UConn (Louisville was in the AAC).

But swap out a decade of a ton of success for 1 Final 4 like WV, Georgetown, Marquete, Nova? Maybe.

Reaction Score
If we don't hear anything today I've lost all confidence that he's coming here

Reaction Score
He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will be convinced one way or another. He knows where he wants to be.

But he also knows he's possibly in higher demand now than he ever will be again in his career. So you have to let your agent play the game for the best deal possible, regardless of where you want to end up.

I'm not surprised he's taking some time.

Reaction Score
These are the tweets:

This is great news. Pindell is the key if we want to sniff bowl eligibility this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom